Former President Jimmy Carter made the news this week, when he said that racism played a part when South Carolina Republican Representative Joe Wilson shouted “You lie” at President Obama during a healthcare speech in Congress last week. President Carter told NBC News that he thinks an “overwhelming portion” of the animosity directed toward America’s first black President is based upon his color.

In response, yesterday a White House spokesman said President Obama did not believe that Wilson’s outburst was racially motivated. That’s the politically correct thing to say, but let’s be honest. How can anyone not believe that racism plays a role in some people’s feelings toward President Obama?

How many of you got the e-mail saying that on Inauguration Day, there were thousands of black people in Washington, D.C. to watch the swearing in ceremony, but very few whites, because they were all at work? How many of you laughed when you read it?  How about the many other racially slanted cartoons and jokes about Obama that clutter up e-mail inboxes?

Did you get the other e-mails? The ones that were not so funny? The ones that said that the day Obama took office, there would be race riots as the “niggers celebrated their victory” or the one saying that his first order of business would be to order the military to attack all white citizens? No, there’s no racism there!

While I did not vote for Obama or Bush, I was disappointed when we were at a bus rally shortly before the election, and a group of people I thought I knew, and respected, talked about how “that jungle bunny won’t last a month before somebody shoots him if he gets elected.”

Besides the black thing, we’ve had all kinds of claims that President Obama is a practicing Muslim. Despite the actions of the radical Muslims who are intent on destroying anyone who does not practice their brand of fanaticism, there are millions of Muslim people in the world who are wonderful people. If Obama had been white and a Catholic, would that have been an issue? How about if he had been a Jew?

How much of the obvious hatred a lot of people show toward our new president is based upon his color, rather than his political party? I don’t know. One news report said that Obama got a higher percentage of the white vote than John Kerry did when he ran for office. Does that mean that more white people supported him, regardless of his race, or maybe that after another four years of Bush politics, did they just want a change?

Just as the Muslim zealots hate anybody who is not just like them, we have way too many people that believe the same thing right here in America. They believe that all men are created equal, except for those men (and women) who are a different color or worship a different way.

Racism plays a role in all of our lives, no matter what color we are or how enlightened we might want to believe we are. A few years ago Terry and I took a “shortcut” and ended on city streets somewhere south of Chicago. Driving through a ghetto decorated with graffiti, past boarded up storefronts while looking for a way to get back to the interstate, we said we sure hoped the motorhome didn’t decide that would be a good place to break down.

Would we have felt the same way if we had been in a neighborhood of tidy shops and boutiques, and if the young men hanging out on the street corners would have had white faces, instead of black and brown?

Was Representative Wilson’s outburst racially motivated? I don’t know. Maybe so. Or he may just be a jerk who found a way to get his fifteen minutes of fame, or an ass who doesn’t know how to conduct himself in public.

But if you really believe that some of the venom directed at President Obama is not racially motivated, you’re either incredibly naive, or lying to yourself.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Comments on Yes, Racism Plays A Role

1. […] this blog post, Bad Nick wanted me to tell you that he has a new post in the Bad Nick Blog titled Yes, Racism Plays A Role. Check it out and leave a […]

2. L E Clark says:

I think racism goes both ways in this country and in the other 4 countries I have lived in. Try living in an 98% black country and see if you experience racism. You will, trust me. What about a Muslin country like Egypt, yes, you will.

Even in the US we have Black Entertainment Network, Miss Black USA, Miss Black America, Historically Black Universities, 95% black vote for Obama, United Negro Fund, NAACP, Black Caucus, etc. We have Asian American groups, Hispanic Groups, etc. Is that racist? You bet.

Can we disagree with Obama and not be racist? Yes. Is it fine for Obama to call a Republican a liar, but to not expect it to happen to him?

Was it racism when Bush was booed in the House/Senate?

JMHO

3. Dianne says:

Thank you Nick for your very honest response to a troubling situation. Can we know what is in a person’s heart–probably not–heck many may not even what to admit what may seem clear to others, but nevertheless it should not be okay to be so disrespectful. Unfortunately fear motivates many to make decisions to protect what they perceive as a threat.

4. Linda Mason says:

Again, I think it goes back to the face value thing. Those first feeling’s folks have when they meet someone. I come from the south side of Chicago. Raised in neighborhoods that were poor and mostly black. Back then I don’t remember so much about racism. We were just a different color. I am also first generation American on my mother’s side, she was raised in SD in a small town and came to Chicago after high school to work. She raised us to take a person’s worth by what they were not what they looked like. I was lucky.

My hubby is from Georgia and his folks from Alabama. What a different world. Very much bigotry there and I sure was not used to that. They told all the “n” jokes and finally quit, at least around me, cause I didn’t laugh or join in. When we, hubby and I, had to go to Chicago for my mother’s funeral, coming back from the cemetery I decided to show hubby some of the neighborhoods where I lived. They were like you had mentioned and he was really angry with me for doing that. I suppose it was because of the “danger”, but I didn’t feel threatened. It was much more run down than when I lived there but to me it was still home.

Does he get flak or disrespect because he is black. Sure he does and that will not change until we all change. Utopia I suppose, because it will never happen. I am sure he knew all these problems would come up because he is black. He just chose to go ahead and do what he believed in. I didn’t vote for him either, but my daughter did. She believed enough to also get involved in the campaigning process. For that I am very proud of her, not because he was black, but that she wanted to be part of what she believed in.

Racism is here and I am afraid will always be, prejudice too, feeling of being better than another person, all the things that make us not very nice will always be part of our life. I think it is what we do with it that counts, hopefully some of us will do it better than other’s.

5. MichaelG says:

The extreme comments from the right are a gift to the Democratic party. They can put that stuff on TV and just dismiss all objections to Obama’s agenda.

The ironic thing is that Wilson’s comment came when Obama was claiming no illegal immigrants would get care. He should have said “You lie” when Obama said the program wouldn’t add a dime to the deficit. Even people in favor of the program admit that it really will cost quite a lot.

6. Ken H says:

Nick, I think the good thing about the USA is that we can discuss almost anything civilly. I happen to disagree with Carter, but then I disagreed with everything he did while in office. What Wilson did was in response to blatant mis-information during a speech. He should not have done it. Racial? Absolutely not.
    Watching news anymore requires a massive salt shaker, no matter the venue. They all spin the information to support their agenda. They all use talking points, but it does seem the Dems use points more.
    Why are we spending all the time on Obamacare, when the remainder of the economy is in the tank? Is Obama a “Johnny One-Note”? Why not do something that will help us all? Why go after someone’s money just because he or she is successful and has sacrificed and worked untold hours? Is it right to target taxes? I’m sorry, that is just wrong in a myriad of ways.
    I may be somewhat biased, but when I see the racial tag being used, it most often is being used by a person of color. I know it gets my dander up when I see “Congressional Black Caucus”, “United Negro College Fund”, “League of Latin American Citizens” or any other organization I am not welcome to join or benefit from because of my skin color.
    Being politically correct has caused more division in the US than any other issue. We can’t call a club “White Men’s Antique Auto Club” without having the full weight of “RACIST” falling on us like a ton of bricks.
    So, I guess racism does exist, but it ain’t all one-sided.

7. Tom Rose says:

I disagree with Pres. Obama’s move to socialized medicine.
    I disagree with Pres. Obama’s taking over the auto companies.
    I disagree with Pres. Obama’s 700+ billion stimulus bill that was so important to rush it through and then only spent 15 percent of it so far.
    I disagree with Pres. Obama’s decision to bring terrorists to prisons in the US.
    I disagree with Pres. Obama’s decision to cancel the missle defense plan for Europe.

If I disagree with the President’s policies, does that make me a racist? I would disagree with those policies if they were proposed by any president no matter what color as they are bad policies.

8. ken falls says:

Nick you have disappointed me. I can’t believe you think every criticism of Oboma is racist. He for the record was lying . Pellosi said that the CIA were lying,people screamed at George Bush many obscenities.He (Oboma) was elected by quite a few white people. STOP playing the race card every time someone disagrees with the President. As for me there are plenty of black people that I admire and would like to see as President. Pres. Oboma is not one of them. His agenda is going to destroy our country. I really do not care what color or sex the President of the U.S. is.as long as he/she does the right thing for us.
    I have always wanted to meet you and talk,now i’m not too sure if we would agree on many things.
    Thank you for providing a place to answer you. My advice to you(if you want it) stay out of Politics and stick to the RV stories. Thats what most of us like.

Respectively
    ken

9. Don Hankins says:

Sorry Bad Nick but is not his race but his message. He is trying to move the country in a direction I and over 50% of the people of this country do not agree with and feel will hurt our future.

People trying to say it is a race issue need to look at our words not the color of our skin.

When Joe Wilson called out that he lies Joe was speaking the truth as the bill that the House has passed has no language stopping funds from going to people who have entered the country illegally.

Lets not confuse Race with disagreement on a message or being unhappy with a man or womans actions

Don Hankins

10. Dennise Ziaja says:

Nick, you are right on. Look at some of the signs from the teabagger rally last weekend. It was SCARY…I didn’t think there was this much racisim anywhere in this country.When the Repubs were in office and found out about all the bs the former administration were puffing about Iran and found out most, if not all were lies…their response? “our PRESIDENT, right or WRONG.” I can imagine all the freepers using a hairdrier scraping off all those bumper stickers when Obama became OUR president. The street here doesn’t run both ways, although apparently Ken H above obviously thinks it does. Why pick on only black organizations Ken? Don’t we have Irish clubs, Italian clubs, Polish clubs and white only country clubs? The token one or two black docs in these clubs are allowed to prevent lawsuits, and the list goes on and on. I always thought that Miss Black America came about when there was nary a black representive on ANY beauty pagent? I remember watching as a kid and I never recall a black contestant! What is wrong with United Negro College fund? I wish they had a polish kid college fund, so my kid could have encouragement and a financial resource other that the banks who are charging the kid 8.5%??? What is wrong with helping encourage black kids to have black roll models. I don’t want to insult Fox News as I am sure a huge percentage of readers watch it faithfully, however you must realize that the information on BOTH Faux, oops Fox news and that on MSNBC most evenings is pure political talking points. ‘Nough said.

Oh, one more thing. The biggest bigot on the radio is none other than our favorite ex-druggie and self proclaimed leader of the Republican Pary, Rush Limbaugh. check it out here:

OK this liberal bleeding heart is off the soapbox.

11. Rick Brentlinger says:

Bad Nick himself seems to be playing the race card in this sophomoric post.

As an experienced newspaper writer, you demonstrate the ability to write in a way that is supposed to provoke thought but which really just takes pot shots at folks who disagree with a radical leftist President who appoints self-described “radical Communists” like Van Jones as his Green advisor or who guarantees corrupt race-baiting organizations like ACORN “a place at the table.”

It isn’t racist to oppose President Obama’s bungling stupidity and big spending ways any more than it was racist to oppose President Bush’s bungling stupidity and big spending ways.

Its also not racism by the way, to fear for your life in some parts of Chicago’s south side, as you related in your story.

There’s a difference between racism and appropriate caution based on crime stats.

This piece is disappointing because it plays off the lame stream media’s assertion that opposition to Obama’s policies is racism.

To cite a few folks somewhere who used the ‘N’ word and then segue from that to your lame conclusion:

“if you really believe that some of the venom directed at President Obama is not racially motivated, you’re either incredibly naive, or lying to yourself” is asking the reader to prove a rhetorical negative, which is impossible.

Your rant, that those who oppose this President’s take-over of the financial industry, banks, the auto industry, are racists and that those who oppose a government take-over of health care, are racists, is insulting.

12. Rex says:

I have never known anyone that is not a racist. I have black friends, hispanic friends and asian friends. All of them were and are racist; in some of these cases, these people do not like their own race. What I do not understand is why it is okay for a person of color to be a racist and not okay for me, a Caucasian to be racist.
    What would happen if I started a TV station called WET, for White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America, etc? Why does the black community yell “Racism” at the drop of a hat? I for one am getting tired of it.

Will racism ever die? I doubt it. In fact, I expect another revolution or civil war in this country any day because of racism. It may start as a revolt against the government, but I think the underlying cause will be racism or the haves vs. the have nots so to speak. I have predicted this for many years, long before I ever heard of Obama. I use to think that it would not happen in my life time, now I am not so sure. The only thing I know is that it will be very, very ugly, and like most wars probably will not change a thing.

13. Everyone can have their say, and the Bad Nick Blog is good place to do it.

14. Joyce Space says:

Nick, This is a very thought-provoking, true write-up. I don’t see it as a “Bad Nick” item at all, but one that could go on your regular blog.
    Joyce

15. Nick Russell says:

Ken Falls – The purpose of this blog is to discuss things not relevant to the RV blog. I think I’ll stick with it. As for once wanting to meet me, and now thinking we would not have much to agree on if we did, I think one of the problems with America today is that nobody wants to talk to anybody who doesn’t think like they do 100% of the time. There can be no dialogue, only a monalogue. How can we grow if we refuse to accept that there can be differing views on a topic? And maybe sometimes we just may have to agree to disagree, and hopefully still be friends.

To the three writers who e-mailed me to say I was bashing the Conservative cause – did you ever notice that it’s only bashing when soembody disagrees with you? Again, I am neither a Conservative nor a Liberal, a Democrat nor a Republican, because I prefer to do my own thinking and make my own choices. I agree with some things both parties advocate, and I disagree with others. There are things about President Obama I appreciate, and things I don’t.

To everybody who has responded, pro or con, I appreciate your input and sharing, and the respectful way you have posted your views.

And last, but certainly not least, to Jack G., in regards to your e-mail, I think what you suggest I do with myself is morally wrong and physically impossible. At least for a fat guy like me.

16. Berni says:

I want to know hat Jack G said for you to do Nick. LOL

17. Paul Stough says:

This is one time I have to disagree with Jimmy Carter. Even though I believe that there are a few people who dislike the President because of the color of his skin, I believe most of those who fervently disagree with him are not racists, but those who, after years of listening to the hate spewed by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and others if their ilk, they have mostly come to hate virtually any Democrat or anyone they believe to be a Liberal. Joseph Goebbels would have been proud!

The saddest thing I have ever heard on talk radio was on a local talk program from Des Moines Iowa shortly after the 2004 election. The callers were really bashing the Democrats and Liberals, which in itself is expected on conservative talk radio. What was so unusual was the hatred in their voices and statements! One caller suggested that all liberals should be sent to California, a state that went for Kerry in 2004. The next caller seconded the idea, and that after all the liberals were there, the Bush Administration should drop a few nuclear bombs on the state to “take care of all the bleeding hearts in the country”.

I found this very appalling for someone to mention something like this, even if the caller was not really serious about it. To me it just showed how cavalier so many of the Democrat, and Liberal haters have become, and by the way there was no admonishment or even a comment about it by the radio host.

My thought was that this seems very close to Hitler’s idea of getting rid of the Jews. You teach a country of susceptible people to hate a certain group of people to the point where talking about killing them becomes just part of your thought process. This is what Hitler did, with the help of Joseph Goebbels, to the Jews, and that is why otherwise ordinary Germans were able to kill and burn several million Jews without even thinking too much about what they had done.

I hope those who hate Liberals and Democrats wake up and see what they are doing before some of the more radical ones get completely out of control!

And just because this post hits at some of the more conservative people in the country, that doesnt mean I am a lackey for the Democrats either.

Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we need him?

18. Gary T says:

Any time someone speaks out against Obama the democrats cry racism.

How can you respect that?

19. ken falls says:

Nick I guess you are right about agreeing to disagree. I don’t mean to give you a hard time but this guy really scares me. It is not his being black that bothers me(honest injin) it is his policies. Maybe we will meet It would be interesting.I must admit that I thought that you would agree more with my views. I also believe that Jimmy Carter was probably our worst president. (he was white)

ken

20. Dennis Murphy says:

I agree with Paul about concern for the deep hatred and vile comments emanating from the right wing – as a former Goldwater conservative it offends and saddens me.

As for Mr. Carter, he was no great shakes as President, but he sure has proven to be an excellent ex-president and a good man. He has no dog in this fight and I think his opinion is of great value.

And Gary, it hopefully will be a long, long time before we see a President as bad as as Mr. Bush was. Just look at his legacy – took a surplus and turned it into a massive deficit; drove us right into the biggest recession in over 60 years with his big spending and tax cutting; left us fighting two un-winnable wars (let’s not forget the thousands of brave soldiers and innocent civilians that have died as a direct result of his lies); I could go on and on and we all know it.

It is sad that racism has become such a part of our national discourse at this time, yes the economy is in crisis and needs attention, but the health care issue is more important and urgent than anything else right now. The Republican response, and that of many on the right is, “I got Mine!”.

21. Connie Braidh says:

Disagreeing with Obama’s politics is not racism. I do not favor socialism or socialistic policies. Obama leans very heavily towards socialism in all his proposed bills to congress. It’s sad that people in this country label disagreement with the politics of a President as racial. Certainly there are some people who don’t like other racial groups. That can’t be denied. However, Obama was elected to be President by many voters (many not black). That alone means that racism did not stop many people from voting for Obama. It’s time the “liberal media” gets over what ever is their problem. It’s time to realize that criticism of the President is NOT always racial. Most of the time it is criticism of his policies not of his race. I am surprised that Bad Nick would assume that all or most criticism of Obama was racial. Bad Nick said that he would like everyone to get over the past. Perhaps it’s time to realize this is one of those times. Get over it. Criticism of Obama’s policies is not racial!!!!!

22. Nick Russell says:

Connie, if you were to re-read the second paragraph of my blog post (see below), I did not say or assume that “all” criticism of the President is racial. I said we cannot deny that racism plays a role in some people’s feelings toward Obama.

“How can anyone not believe that racism plays a role in some people’s feelings toward President Obama?”

If someone disagrees with his policies based upon their true political beliefs, I support their right to do so 100%. I don’t agree with everything he stands for, just as I did not agree with everything President Bush stood for.

Nor do I believe that ALL criticism, or even MOST criticism of President Obama is racially motivated. But it is out there, to some extent, and that is what I object to.

I find it interesting that two people who left comments on this post, or e-mailed me, claim that there are no racial undertones to their dislike of Obama, but both of those people have forwarded me more than one cartoon or joke using his race as the punch line. You cannot be a just little bit pregnant, nor can you be just a little bit racist.

23. Dee Seals says:

I have a relative who wanted me to see how other family members were picking on her for being a liberal. She felt she was being bombarded by negative emails against her president and has copied me in on all outbursts. After being silent for a long time I politely explained that we are in a period where everyone thinks they are right and refuse to listen to anyone else’s point of view. I truly believe that. This relative has since quit emailing me. She voted strictly on party lines. She wanted Hillary but when that didn’t come to be she stuck with her party, right or wrong. I truly think we are so like cows following that pickup with hay on the tailgate. Hey, we see the food and if we keep following it we’ll get fed.
    I work with men of color who I would do just about anything for. They showed me how much they cared about me when I had to deal with cancer. I also work with men of color that I am very careful of. They want to use the race card when they feel it can be to their advantage. I base my loyalties on personalities and character. Not color.
    I had forgotten this until just now, but over 20 years ago my daughter was in elementary and wanted to play with a couple of girls from school. I kept trying to arrange play dates and the moms kept putting me off. Finally, one of the moms told me that her daughter was not spending time with a white girl outside of school. I guess I was a little naive back then. It rankles me that only whites are accused of racism. It works both ways.
    So I now watch everything I say or do outside of the privacy of my home. I don’t want it to be that way. I joke about being the new minority. I’m old, white and a female. I have never had much in the way of rights. And I have never made the same money my male counterparts have made. I have also had to work two jobs my entire life. My outside the home work plus taking care of the home and kids.
    People make fun of the 60-70’s, hippies, and our beloved “flower children”. It was probably the only time in our recent history that the bulk of america’s younger generation truly did not see race. Granted they were into free love, drugs, rock and roll, and alternative lifestyles. But they truly did not see color.
    I’m old and going to bed now. Thanks for letting me join in.

24. Ron Olsen says:

It is my learned opinion that all prejudice is a feeling of inferiority on the part of the prejudiced person. We will always have prejudice since people are always feeling somewhat inferior to someone else. Much of the racial prejudice is learned from our parents and peers when we fail to think for ourselves. I had the advantage of being raised by parents who were not prejudiced and lliving in a mixed race community but that does not guaruntee that my peers were not prejudiced.
    I don’t think it is fair to label me racist if I disagree with you. My first wife could not understand how I could scialize with a person whom I was diametrically oposed to their way of thinking. I told her that I could dislike someones philosophy without disliking the person. Most people can’t get that point either. I disagree with Nick but would be happy to sit down and debate it with him. Ron

25. Melvin Key says:

Nick, what you say is correct. However, you put your statement behind former President Jimmy Carter’s statement that an overwelming majority of Americans who disagreed with President Obama’s actions did so because of racism. That seems to indicate you agreed. I reread your post several times. I believe you consciously did it to get responses from your readers. Obviously many people are racists of one sort or another.

The people I work with, visit with and meet daily have many differing indeas about President Obama, some support him but most are afraid of the changes he is proposing. Is my sample a true sample of Americans. No, I don’t think so, but it is the feelings of these Americans I meet and work with.

Calling the overwelming majority racist because they don’t agree with President Obama is grossly unfair and near sighted. Trying to put down anyone who disagrees with the President in such a manner is just trying to quieten the dissenters by telling everyone that they are bad people with bad ideas and a bad heart.

This is my first comment on any blog so you can see, it got under my skin.

Thanks for listening

26. Barbara says:

When I want to read about politics, I go to other websites/resources. I visit/read this and a couple of other RVing sites to get away from politics. Call me a racist if you must, but now I think the Gypsy Journal and Bad Nick sites are unsafe places to visit. Oh well, not visiting/reading your two sites in the future will help me stop wasting valuable time.

27. Cindy -- Wyoming says:

The first problem here is one of the largest ones we have had for years and years — READING COMPREHENSION. Nick said “some” of the criticism is racial — as he had to point out in one of his follow ups. Folks read things the way they want them to be not what they actually say. We go to fast. Slow down and actually read what is written.
    Second – Don’t you really think that all this fear of others or the unknown is a basic human quality from caveman days? We know and understand OUR group but “you” are different — either by color, dialect, actions, different tools, inventions,or beliefs.
    It isn’t going to change. Look at the two Muslim factions that have been killing each other for centuries because they each believe their interpretation of Muhammed’s message is correct making the others only worthy of death. You know the saying, (AND PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING SLOWLY TO COMPREHEND MY REAL MEANING) “Kill them all and let God sort it out.” Well guess what — He is going to sort it out. We can bellow, spew hatred, kill in the name of religion or as the Klan did due to race, or be quiet in our beliefs and say nothing and let our lives play out. (Atheists, ignore the following.) God IS going to sort it out and we will all know that outcome when we face Him. In the mean time, I am proud to be a citizen of this country where we can have open debates like this one without fear of reprisal (for the most part). We can hate or not, we can hear issues by reading or listening to wingnuts representing both sides. I LOVE to do that. There are times I want to reach my hand through the TV or radio and choke out some of them but I find some of them pretty amusing and sometimes actually agree with some of their points. We can also turn the device off which is the REAL way to censor ideas or beliefs. DO NOT EVER forget that our freedom of speech and expression is what keeps us strong as a nation. You shut down any person’s views, no matter how horriffic they might be, and we lose all of our freedoms. Why? Because it doesn’t take much spewing of hatreds, for folks to realize that is not what we want this country to become. Hide or cover up those hatreds and they will ferment and grow and cause fear. It will make them more attractive to sick and insecure folks who will say they are being covered up because we know they are right. Passivity leads to Nazi Germany. So pitch fits loudly and frequently. It keeps us free and makes us strong!

28. Paul Stough says:

“Gary T says:
    September 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But why would anyone listen to a former president whose administration was an out and out disaster and a disgrace? Although NoBama is closing in on Jimmy Carter and will surpass him as the worst president in my lifetime.”

Gary you certainly have every right to believe what you believe and express your opinions publically, and I am glad that you do, as your post shows exactly what I was talking about. You are using one of the most common methods that Joseph Goebbels and Rush Limbaugh have used in expressing their hatred for certain people, and trying get others to buy into this hatred. That is, if you can ridicule someone and make them seem less important, and therefore less important as a human being, it becomes much easier to hate them, and others that you see as like them, and their beliefs.

I find it interesting that you and so many others believe that Jimmy Carter was such a horrible President, but one thing is true, if we had listened to him and adopted his plan to reduce our dependence of foreign oil, we probably would not have had to have over 4,000 Americans killed, and untold billions of dollars spent of this folly in Iraq, and perhaps the disaster of 911 may have been avoided as well.

I dont agree with your assessment that Presidents Carter and Obama are the worst Presidents of our lifetime, but they do have one thing in common in that they both have had the worst job in the circus, that is, cleaning up after the elephants.

29. Ed Dray says:

Hi Nick,
    I happen to have several good friends who are black in color.
    Paul, who is pastor of a church, and his wife, Rita, were at our home for dinner one evening. After dinner we were talking and Paul said something that was very wise and I believe it with all of my heart.
    Paul said that he thinks God made each of us different, not to make any one person better than another, but so that each person can share whatever gifts and talents they were given, and thereby, we may enrich the lives of one another.
    I was invited to speak at Paul’s church, for Pastor Appreciation Day.
    I stood on the altar with Paul, talking about how this good man often called me Dad. I said that anyone can tell by looking at us, that I am not Paul’s Dad. I paused and then said, “There just isn’t that much difference in our ages”.
    Everyone laughed and this Catholic boy had many new friends in a non-Catholic church.
    Paul remains a good friend to this day.
    I must mention though, that I do not agree with most of President Obama’s policies. I also think that Jimmy Carter was a horrible President.
    That is just the way I feel about things.
    By the way, keep writing your opinions! I may not agree with you on everything, but you make people think, and that is the mark of a good writer.
    Take care, my friend.

30. Jan Chilson says:

Wow! Bad Nick surely hit a “touchy” topic with this one:-) On one hand, it is good. We DO have opinions, however we choose to express them. On the other hand, some of us are not very considerate of others. I have several friends with strongly differing opinions than mine. I have no problem “agreeing to disagree” on some subjects. It is amazing to me that some of my “friends” won’t accept that their friendship is more important to me than our differing views.

On the question of racism, I have to agree that it is alive and well in this country. I have hope though. My parents were very racist, growing up and living in the south. I like to believe that Wes and I are less so. We try to enjoy the diversity of all people. We enjoy learning about their cultures etc. Our lives have been enriched by many friends of different nationalities. We have watched our children grow into amazing adults who really have no racist “leanings”. Our grandchildren also don’t see color. I have hope that all the world could be this way, but the reality is – probably not.

Your question “if Obama would have been white and a Catholic or a Jew, would that have been an issue?” The answer to that is definitely yes. We actually saw that as part of the past elections, with the Mormons and the Evangelical Christians – most of both groups white Americans. We experienced the same attitudes when John F. Kennedy ran for office, questioning his Catholic faith.

I am convinced there will always be some “issue”, real or just perceived, that will divide us in this country. So sad.

31. Greg says:

So Nick I seem to have a problem. If I disagree with President Obama I may be a racist. But if I disagree with Mr Steele I may be a racist. How do I reconcile this matter?

Also I am confused, what happened to all those enlightened white people who were ‘smart’ enough to elect President Obama but are now ‘racist’ for disagreeing with a policy of his? Were they confused when they voted for him? Or are they confused now? I know I certainly am.

32. Greg says:

Let’s see I can’t seem to wrap my head around this. If I disagree with President Obama then I may be a racist. But if I disagree with Republican Chairman Michael Steele am I also a racist? Please someone enlighten me.

33. Llana says:

“Barack the Magic Negro”…Does that ring a bell? Oh, yes, that is Rush Limpbaugh’s favorite little ditty for his dittoheads about our president.

Limbaugh proudly stated the President isn’t black; he is “halfrican American” and an Arab, apparently suggesting, quite wrongly as usual, that although Kenya is composed of only 1% Arabs, that Arab racial comment sounds even worse to his dittoheads than just the African thing.

The president graduated magna cum laude from Harvard, but to Limbaugh, he’s only an affirmative action candidate. I guess that doesn’t sound racist to dittoheads.

A sign with “OBAMA” held up at the DC march last weekend gave his initials as standing for “Oppressive Bloodsucking Arrogant Muslim Alien”… Does anyone think THAT sign wasn’t racist?

Another sign said “The only difference between Obama and Osama is a little b.s.” Is that racist, hateful, or just stupid?

How ’bout that sign with the president as an African witch doctor, underscored with “Obama Care”? No racism there.

This president is feared because he is a strong, educated, well-read, intelligent man legally elected to the presidency by a majority of Americans. He inherited a country in ruin, brought to its knees by a multiplicity of bad policies from the preceding administration. Anyone would be troubled trying to pull us up out of the quagmire left behind from the Bush years.

Let’s not forget that he’s denigrated today as a “socialist” by the same Americans who use public roads and/or public transportation, many who collect Medicare or Social Security, who are protected by police and fire departments, while living in communities with public schools and free libraries. Hey, all of THAT smacks of socialism to me, and it’s not a bad thing.

He is not an African; he was born to an American mom in Hawaii, which was, and is, part of the USA. Under those circumstances, ALL of us are Americans. And, no, his policies have NOTHING to do with killing grandma.

34. Tom--Ohio says:

Nick,

I’m not a doctor, don’t work for any health insurance company. But I suggest you take 2 asprin…have an adult beverage, kick your feet up for a spell and relax. You deserve this months “atta boy” for pulling folks away from the boob tube and engaging their thoughts to E Mail. Thank goodness for BAD NICK!!

35. Tom Degan says:

Why is so much hatred being hurled toward President Obama? That’s a no-brainer!

He’s a Kenyan born Arab terrorist who wants to bring DEATH PANELS to this grand and glorious land of ours so he can pull the plugs on Granny and Gramps.

HE’S A DANGED LEFT WING SOCIALIST whose education was funded by the American Communist Party, MoveOn.Org, Barbara Streisand and Ed Asner.

He named his daughters Sasha and Malia – YO! WHAT’S UP WITH THAT???

He would prefer to have dinner with Mahatma Gandhi over Ronald Reagan. RONALD REAGAN!!!

He wants to start a TROTSKY FOR TOTS program for our children.

He’s just an evil person!

EVIL, I SAY!

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

My fellow Americans, heed my warning,

The Big, Black, Bolshevik Bogeyman is gonna git’cha!

It has not a thing to do with race.

I am a white person. I would not lie to you.

But seriously, folks….

Tom Degan
    Goshen, NY

36. Mary says:

They say that John Wilkes Booth was amazed when he realized that the people didn’t think he was a hero after he assasinated Pres. Lincoln. Do you think that Rep. Wilson thought he’d be viewed a hero?

37. Greg says:

I don’t think anyone thinks what Rep Wilson said makes him a hero. However, two days after his sophmoric outburst the administration submitted amendments to address ‘the lie’. They found that the wording in the legislation did indeed provide for health care for illegals.

As an aside our President is now considering just making all the ‘illegals’ legal.

38. Llana says:

Gee, Greg, I missed that—where did you see that the president is considering making all the “illegals” legal? How is he going to do that?

39. Paul Stough says:

The illegal aliens pose a dilema for health care reform. It is a no win situation. They should not be allowed to participate in the system as they are here illegally, but if you dont let them participate, then they will use expensive emergency rooms at hospitals that most cannot afford so the the rest of us will pick up the tab.

The answer is for them to return to their home country, but neither major political party seems to want to do that. The Republicans like the cheap labor, the Democrats are hoping for cheap votes.

As far as President Obama supporting amnesty; his position is virtually the same as Senator McCain, so even if McCain had become President, we would still have a President supporting amnesty for the millions of aliens who are here illegally.

40. […] week I ruffled a lot of feathers with my blog Yes, Racism Plays A Roll. However, politics aside, we all know that racism is a two way street. I don’t like bigots of any […]

41. Tony says:

When discussing politics, policy, etc. people will start what I call an ugly dog contest. President X did so and so and my guy President Y was perfect. Your dog is uglier than mine. Since Jimmy Carter started this storm I thought I would add President Carter’s statement that started such a contest.

From CNN’s website:

“When a radical fringe element of demonstrators and others begin to attack the president of the United States as an animal or as a reincarnation of Adolf Hitler or when they wave signs in the air that said we should have buried Obama with Kennedy, those kinds of things are beyond the bounds,” the Democrat who served from 1977-1981 told students at Emory University.

“I think people who are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African American.

“It’s a racist attitude, and my hope is and my expectation is that in the future both Democratic leaders and Republican leaders will take the initiative in condemning that kind of unprecedented attack on the president of the United States,” Carter said.

Carter’s comments came a day after he said racial politics played a role in South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson’s outburst during Obama’s speech to Congress last week and in some of the opposition the president has faced since taking office.

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he’s African-American,” Carter told “NBC Nightly News.”

“I live in the South, and I’ve seen the South come a long way, and I’ve seen the rest of the country that shares the South’s attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African-Americans.”

As stated earlier there seems to be a problem with reading comprehension.

Neither Nick or Carter said all criticism of Obama is racist. Only some of the more strident attacks. Please take the time to either read his comments or view his statement online and quit putting words into other people’s mouths.

I happen to agree with Carter. Some, not all, of the opposition to Obama is based in racism. No, I do not believe Joe Wilson would have shouted “you lie” to a white president. He just left off the “Boy” at the end of his statement.

Just remember your dog is uglier than mine.

42. Larry H50 says:

There is one race, the HUMAN race. People have been fighting over their “differences” since the beginning.

“Racism” is just the latest tactic for shutting up those with a different opinion.

LarryH50