I see that the folks who live and breathe by whatever is on Fox News have something new to worry about, besides all of the conspiracies that the liberal administration has cooked up to ruin the country.

It’s bad enough that they have to fret and fuss about government run health care, gay marriage, and whatever else has them on edge, but now they are upset at the iconic children’s television program Sesame Street.

It seems that recently the long running PBS program reran a two year old skit where Oscar the Grouch played a reporter for the “Grouch News Network,” also known as “GNN.” In the skit, a viewer calls Oscar to complain that his news coverage is not grouchy enough, and says in the future he’ll watch Pox News, because “that’s a trashy news show!”

Hard line conservatives responded by calling the skit an attack on Fox News, demanding that Sesame Street be taken off the air, and claiming that the show was a tool used by liberals to influence kids and undermine parental authority.

Geez, does everything have to be a left wing conspiracy? What the hell ever happened to a sense of humor?

According to an article on Yahoo News, this isn’t the first time Sesame Street has come under fire from the conservative camp. A while back an internet rumor claimed that the program had “caved to pressure from liberals promoting healthy-eating habits and was converting Cookie Monster into Veggie Monster” because the character was adding fruits and vegetables to his diet. In response, an internet petition was quickly circulated by the conservative crowd calling for an end to the show.

Well, I hope so! The last thing I want my grandkids doing is eating healthy! Cookies and donuts made me the man I am today, and I want them to have the same wheezing, waddling quality of life I have so enjoyed!

Does everything have to be a conspiracy? Does every sneeze and fart have to mask a hidden agenda? What the hell ever happened to a sense of humor? I don’t care if you’re white or black, on the left or right, if you’re a born again Christian or an agnostic, a Democrat or a Republican. If you can’t laugh at yourself every once in a while, you’re taking life way too seriously. Lighten up!

What’s next? Will the left wingers decide it’s a conspiracy that allows drivers to make a right turn on a red light?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments on It’s Called Humor

1. Sid says:

Right on! Damn straight! You aim is good again Bad Nick… ever notice how good ya feel after a big ole belly laugh. I am quite sure that I am not the only one that does and says stupid things that myself and others get to laugh at. What a compliment when you can say “Damn! He (or she) has an awesome sense of humor”…

2. Nick, you (and I guess Sid, too) have an awesome sense of humor! You are right on target again. Laughing at oneself, or with others at your own “group” is healthy. We just heard a good “Catholic joke” the other day that had us in stitches, but I won’t go into it here — it takes too long, and I won’t see your expression when you hear it.

3. SAL Bellomo says:

Hi Nick you hit the ball on the head there are people out there with no sense of humor at all!!!!, I would like to see them when they were Kids. It’s healthy to laugh now and then at a good joke or some one with a sense of Humor that you have. Have and good day and Bad Nick is doing “”Great”” because you would not have it any other way so “””GET-ER DONE”””!!!!.

4. Dennis Murphy says:

Exactly what is missing in our current “national dialogue”. Everyone needs to lighten up and realize that others have legitimate viewpoints as well and we all want basically the same thing in the long run.

A sense of humor goes a long way in smoothing things out. And let’s not even talk about understanding satire!

5. Karen Krugman says:

I love it! Imagine that, a sense of humor. These days it seems everyone takes offense at everything. People need to lighten up and get a life. GEESH! Great blog – I love the way you tell it like it is.

Watch out they’ll be after you next….

6. Greg says:

I agree EVERYONE needs a good healthy dose of a sense of humor.
    I am sure that most folks have seen the poster of our President in “The Joker” makeup….well there, of course, there were people who were horrifed by that picture….were they just as horrified when the same “Joker” picture showed up as GW Bush during his Presidency? I say if it was funny for one it was funny for both.

7. Bill Joyce says:

I just remember when they were all excited when Jerry Falwell used some strange logic to decide one of the Teletubbies was gay in 1999. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

8. Dennise Ziaja says:

Thank you Nick. I was appalled when I heard of this. What is up with folks? Everything is taken as a personal “insult”. Thin skin must be the new malady of the day.

9. don says:

Jeez, I never thought of that right turn on red conspiracy but you are right (er, correct)! I’m going to go start a petition to make LEFT turns on red legal too. Thanks, Nick!

10. Orv Hazelton says:

NICK: I certainly enjoy reading the GNN. I’m not quite sure whether this acronym stands for the “Grinning News Network” or the “Gin Drinkers News Network”: either way. . . I’m laughing a belleyfull with my fellow Gypsys. Thanks. . . as always, oRV

11. Kathy King says:

Have sat in the audience with tears running down my face when Bad Nick was on stage! Listen to the man, he really understands humor!!!! He also makes himself the main target, so he knows how healthy laughing at yourself can be. We all need a dose every day.

12. We’re currently workamping at Amazon.com in Kansas, and in the break room they constantly have the TVs on to FOX news. It makes me want to gag. It makes me sad that people actually watch that channel and think they’re getting actual, unbiased news. When we used our door prize at Celina to eat at the Railroad restaurant (forget what it’s called), they also had FOX news blaring in the restaurant on all the TVs. Ruined our appetites, and we couldn’t WAIT to get out of there. Don’t businesses realize that this is NOT helpful to gaining clientel??? Maybe they only want customers who only think like they do. Kudos to you, Nick, for having an open mind.

13. MsKay says:

I think I laugh lots more now than I used to….and some of the stuff that the younger crowd….liberals, democrats and republicans alike, come up with is just rediculous! What ever happened to “Pretend?” Oscar and Cookie are not real! Are parents so inadequate that they fear they cannot teach their children the difference? And that you don’t do what the characters do? I didn’t ever have a problem with any of that and my boys turned out good. They have kids of their own and they feed them other things besides cookies and “Grouchdom” so what does this say about the rest? Get off their butts and teach their children the difference! One thing that I do see in the next generation…is that they don’t laugh like we do. Everything is pretty serious to my kids. I figure they will lighten up when their kids are raised…about like we did!

14. Joe Foster says:

Great idea Nick. We’ll just all laugh like hyenas while the liberals and socialists drive us into ruin. I would never allow my kids to watch Sesame Street when they were growing up, because I wanted them to experience the real world, not a fairytale. Then again, a lot of people seem to be living in a fairytale these days