Are you as sick and tired as I am of the media whores who have been popping up on every newscast lately pulling incredibly stupid, even dangerous stunts just to get their faces on television and the internet? What is it about some people that they will go to extremes just to get their faces onto a television screen?

First we had the idiots in Colorado who had the entire nation sitting on the edges of our seats, glued to the television, when they reported that their young son had accidentally flown away in a homemade balloon. I was just as worried as everybody else about the child, but even before the balloon floated to the ground, I told my wife that I had a feeling that this was some kind of publicity stunt.

Of course, we all know now that it was a publicity stunt in hopes of landing a role on a reality television show. Those parents have pleaded guilty to some minor charge in the case, but we all know that they really don’t give a damn, because they accomplished what they set out to do. They got to stand in the spotlight and be the center of attention. Personally, I think they both should do jail time, have to reimburse authorities for every penny spent on the chase after the balloon, and their kids should be placed in a home where they won’t be mere tools for sick adults’ quests to feel important.

Now we have the husband and wife who crashed a White House state dinner and got their pictures taken with the President and Vice President. This too was reportedly an attempt to get onto yet another reality TV show. News reports say the couple has pulled all kinds of dumb stunts to get publicity in the past. And again, they are getting just what they want, face time in front of the cameras.

I hope they are both charged with felonies for lying to Federal officers in bluffing their way into the White House. And I hope they do jail time for it and get slapped with hefty fines. Maybe it will give some other nutcase wannabe celebrity pause to think before they pull the next game like this, because sooner or later someone is going to get hurt when one of these things go down, and more than likely it will be some rescue worker who thinks he or she is responding to a real situation.

You’ll notice that I have not mentioned any of these creeps by name. It’s not because I’m worried about a lawsuit, I just don’t want to give them any more undeserved exposure.

I have an idea of how we can give them what they want and what they deserve at the same time. Isn’t COPS a reality TV show? How about film of them making a perp walk as they are escorted handcuffed into jail? Maybe a big cellmate named Sweaty Eddie would offer to become their manager and introduce them to a whole new career.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments on Media Whores

1. Tim Lawler says:

OHHH ‘Bad Nick” you are sooo right.

2. Connie Braidh says:

Right on!!!
    What is scary is that these people put other people’s lives at risk: the rescuers looking for the boy in the balloon. Or they put ideas in other people’s heads (terrorists or nuts)on how to get to the president or any political official and kill him.
    They seem a little mentally unstable to me. What’s so great about all the attention? They must be very unhappy with themselves and their lives. I guess notoriety and self aggrandizement are what they want. Weird!!!!!
    Personally being a little no body has it’s merits. No one follows me around for an autograph, or bothers me to get nude photos (how funny that would be) or writes juicy untrue gossip about me. I can go anywhere, to any store and be totally anonymous. How wonderful. Total freedom. I must be happy being me and I am secure in my life. They aren’t.

3. Hi Nick,

Agree with you about those idiots in Colorado, especially because children were involved. They diverted many emergency responders from legitimate needs, put them at danger, and wasted public funds doing so.

The White House party crashers are a little different. In one way they did us all a service by revealing a serious lack of security that hopefully will now be fixed. Still, they could be charged with something, but surely a misdemeanor like trespassing would be enough. Party crashing isn’t a felony, and I expect the only expense to the public was a couple glasses of champagne and a few hors d’oeuvres.

4. Orv Schinke says:

Nick,
    You’ve got it right! I just wish the national media would just report and then drop it. They just keep going on and on. Just look at the Tiger Woods accident story. They’ve almost got he and his wife divorced. Every 10-15 minutes we get “breaking news” about it. Egads, where are the real reporters like H.V. Kaltenborn, Edward R. Murrow, etc.?

Orv

5. Sam says:

I think its “GREAT”! It just shows that there are idiots on both sides!!! C’mon Nick..I know deep down inside you have your chuckles on this behavior. 😉

6. This is one reason that over the past several years we refused to watch any reality TV, and or American Idiot or any thing else involved with people acting stupid. It is just a indicator of how far our society can regress. o be honest, their are probably were few so called stars that you could parade in front of us and we would recognize. Hate to think that this is a way of the future.

7. MichaelG says:

How about streakers at sports events? You want to jail them too?

8. Jan Chilson says:

If there weren’t any “reality” shows, we wouldn’t have quite as many idiots trying stupid stunts to get on them. They are such a total waste of time and money, in my opinion. And they are about the furthest thing from “reality”. But, should we really make stupidity illegal? Sounds kind of like trying to govern morality:)

9. I agree with you Nick. The world is full of dumb asses who will do anything but work for a living!

10. Rick Ulmstedt says:

“How about streakers at sports events? You want to jail them too?”

Just the ugly ones Mike :)

11. MichaelG says:

Try Soccer Streaker

The guys will like the ending.

12. Jim Weise says:

Maybe you’re watching too much TV. Try reading a book or watching a movie. Reduce the size of the audience for scammers and bozos. Then you won’t have to worry about popping a gasket.

13. Rick Ulmstedt says:

I like Nick’s idea of not naming them, just reporting on what happened. That would really drive them crazy because they don’t get the exposure, which would really frustrate them. Better yet, a lot of other egomaniacs would claim that they were the ones who did it, really confusing the issue!

14. Bill says:

Nick, I have to agree with you to some extent, what they are doing is stupid. But where are the reporters and editors that are putting this on the air?? How much is a feeding frenzy by the media itself to put this junk in front of us. Where do they, and I know they don’t, draw a line between sensational and idiocy?

This all reminds me of a correlation between the Roman Colosseum (and no, I was not there)and the fall of the empire. It’s a electronic Colosseum.