Televangelist Pat Robertson hasn’t said much that I’ve been able to agree with in the past, but he has said a lot of things that make him look like a jackass. I see him kind of like a Bible thumping version of Rush Limbaugh.

In the past, Robertson has claimed that feminism is not about equal rights for women, but rather a “socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.”

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Robertson agreed with Jerry Falwell, who laid part of the blame at the feet of pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays and lesbians, and the ACLU for “helping to make this happen.” He warned the people of Orlando, Florida that God would respond with “terrorist bombs, earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor” because of the annual Gay Days at Disney World. Robertson also has told women that when they get married “you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that’s the way it is, period.”

But the other day Robertson finally said something that I have to agree with to some extent, when he said that Islam is not a religion, but a violent political system.

In our politically correct world, I know it’s not nice to say anything bad about anyone, because we might offend them or hurt their feelings. And I am well aware that there are a lot of Islamic people in the world who are not terrorists.

However, let’s look at some recent history. It was radical Islamic fundamentalists who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993. Islamic terrorists were responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Other planned attacks by Islamic fanatics were stopped at Fort Dix, New Jersey and the Marine Corps base at Quantico, Virginia. And two weeks ago an Army officer who was a Muslim gunned down 44 people at Fort Hood, Texas, killing thirteen of them while shouting praises to Allah.

There has been a long and ugly list of atrocities perpetrated by Islamic fanatics against American citizens in this country, many times against members of their own families, in the name of Allah. Political correctness be damned, there is a tremendous history of brutality associated with Muslims, and nobody can deny it.

Are all Muslims terrorists or evil? Of course not. But if somebody doesn’t agree with a Catholic sermon on Sunday morning, radical priests don’t issue death warrants against them. And I haven’t seen any Baptists blowing up topless bars, or Methodists murdering their daughters because they wear short skirts.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Comments on Religion Or Terrorist Organization?

1. Buzz Bullard says:

The barbaric actions of a few should not reflect on the mass of good people of any group. But we are not talking about a few here. We are talking about a continuous series of attacks on our own soil that just keeps getting worse and worse. The war has come to our homeland and we are too blind to realize it.

2. Jim Burnett says:

Well now … within a narrow window of time, you may be right. But from the perspective of the long history of Christianity, Christians have often been the terrorists. Look at the sordid history of the Catholic Church, the Christian against Christian in Northern Ireland, the slaughter of the Mayans. The church inspired Aparthide in RSA, the Christians who came to America in the name of religious freedon and the resultant treatment of the Indians. I know, its not apples and apples, but the fanatic Muslims are just today’s brand of terrorists … but only from our point of view …
    There are no one-sided coins …

3. Connie Braidh says:

Unfortunately there has been a lot of war and terror associated with “religion.” Christians have had their share. But I think as a religion, the Muslim religion is more violent than others. This “jihad” business is frightening. And to me any religion which says dying for the religion is glorious should be watched closely. Look at Japan and dying for the Emperor (the representative of God on earth) was the way to be honored and glorified.
    Sad the way people are manipulated by their so called religious leaders. Religion should be about peace, harmony, love for each other, working together for the glory of God and to help each other. So I am careful where I put my soul and my eternity!!!

4. rex says:

True, one of the main reasons this country was founded was for religious freedom. But along with this freedom came the assumption or edict that the various religions would live in peace. It was the white mans greed that caused trouble with the Indians, this was not done in the name of religion. Today, in many developed countries, including the U.S. one’s loyalty is to God and Country. In the Muslim world, the loyalty is to God or Allah. The Muslims do not recognize borders or other religions. If you are not a Muslim then you are an infidel and you must die. Currently we are in a war with the Muslim religion and if we do not get off our dead butts, we will be dead because these radical Muslims are going to try and kill everyone of us. It is that simple. The Muslims can not even live in peace with each other. They have been fighting since before recorded history and they are still fighting today. I do not see Methodist fighting the Presbyterians or any other major Christian religion fighting another Christian religion. I think the only way to put an end to this is the elimination of the radical Muslim sects. Education will not work. The atomic bomb will.

5. Jan Chilson says:

I know there are peaceful Muslims, but – if they don’t want to be lumped with their terrorist members, they need to clean up their own house. The silence of the peaceful Muslims is seen as approval and support for the terrorist actions.

6. Marnin says:

There is NO religion that can truthfully say that it has not been responsible for atrocities against others.

Remember, many of today’s Christians believe that if one does not believe in Jesus, you will go to hell.

This country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles; such being the case, why is there so much anti-semitism?

Where is Christian peace, when the American Indians were called heathens and slaughtered?

Remember, there are preachers who are praying for our president to die. Religious zealots span all religions and they are the ones we must not tolerate, that we must speak out against as they are as responsible for death and hatred just as the zealots in the Muslim religion (the “Islamists”).

7. Dennise Ziaja says:

Read this and weep…Wingnut religious groups are all over the net with this crap. So, after you read this, who do you think is more dangerous to us Americans….so-called Christians or Muslims. BOTH IMHO

“The newest far-right craze is an anti-Obama slogan that is making its way onto t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, and even teddy bears: “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8,” which reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office.” The meme is also taking off on Twitter, with conservatives calling it “hilarious.” Commentators have noted that it’s unclear whether the intent is to hope for an end to Obama’s time in office — or an end to his life. But a look at the lines in the rest of the psalm hint at the latter:

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
    Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.

Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
    Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labor.

Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
    Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.

Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.

Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.”

quoted from Think Progress

8. Jim Kendall says:

Yes, Christianity has been just as bad throughout history. But we need to deal with right now, and right now we are up to our ass in alligators who want to eat us alive. We have to take proactive action and stamp out this threat to our very existence or we won’t survive long enough to write another chapter in our history.

9. Chet Arnold says:

The Islamic fundamentalists may be a small percentage of the Muslims in the entire world overall, but that doesn’t help me when I am the target of that small segment. And each and every one of us are their targets. You do not have to be a soldier or sailor, or a politician to be their enemy. You can be a factory worker, a mailman, or a housewife. You’re still an infidel in their eyes and you must die. WAKE UP, America! The threat is real, and it is here right now!!!

10. Josh Franks says:

Bad Nick, reading that list of attacks and crimes scared the hell out of me! I had no idea just how sick these bastards can be! Anyone who will kill their own children won’t hesitate for a minute to kill you or me or our children! Thank you for helping to open my eyes. The war isn’t just in Iraq and Afghanistan its right here on Man Street!

11. Tom Doyle says:

One comment I heard on 9/12/01 has stayed with me all these years. “Al Kiada is to Muslims what the Ku Klux Klan is to Christianity,

12. Dave Bossert says:

it’s been said that the true Muslim religion does not allow killing of any kind. These terorists just use that religion as an excuse to form a common bond between themselves. Religion is man made with man made rules. Faith is from God.

13. Kay F Brown says:

Right on…..For Sure. I will even take the Mexican population over the Muslims, or Islamics. I think they need to all go to their own land and stay there. I may be radical, but we have no room here for them, their beliefs and garbs. If they can’t leave it behind and conform to our ways…they need to get out. They want us to accept them…and they blow up things. If I see someone with a Muslim get up on in a store I go the other way. No one knows which ones are crazy and which ones aren’t. My son was in Iraq, and had two very close calls with those radicals and their guns and explosives. He prevailed and came home only to never be the same. Along with many many others. They just don’t belong here after all the hurt and damage they caused. We need to say enough is enough. We’re diverse enough and full enough now. We need to quit turning the other cheek over and over again. Sorry but Bad Nick got me started. I’m really adament about this….and if you call me a racist after the recent events at Fort Hood…..Fine.

14. Cal Hall says:

Nick,
    Your spot on as usual. Keep it up. Wish I had your way with words.
    Cal

Generalizations are very dangerous and I see that in many of the comments above. Many of the attitudes stated above lead to hatred and discrimination, which in turn can easily lead to violence.

In the eyes of many Christians (e.g., the Minnesota synod), I am an infidel because I am Jewish. So, where does this put me in terms of this conversation?

IMHO, the only way to peaceful living is acceptance and tolerance of those who are different than you. It is ignorance which breeds fear and it is incumbent upon everyone to understand others. When there is understanding, it becomes possible to build bridges and prevent the violence that can occur due to mistrust.

This country has been called a melting pot because of the contribution of its immigrants – immigrants who have added to the vibrance of American life. And I strongly believe that today’s immigrants must adapt to the American way of life when it comes to commerce just as the immigrants of earlier generations did. This country was founded for religious freedom and it is in real danger of forgetting that.

16. Rachel Piem says:

I’m sorry Dale, I don’t mean to flame you, but your comments are just not realistic in todays world. How can we build bridges when the Muslims fanatics are busy blowing them up? You say we all must understand one another. I do understand our enemies, and they want to kill us not talk to us. You cannot reason with a fanatic. Thats what makes him (or her) a fanatic.

I wish we lived in a world that you describe. But as a Jewish person, you must know more than anyone what happens when the world hides its head in the sand. The Islamic fundamentalists want another Holocaust, and they want to perpetrate it on each and every one of us.

17. Tom D says:

What a bunch of narrow minded racist bullcrap!!!!!! The Fort Hood killer was mad at the Army for his upcoming deployment. It had nothing to do with religion, it was about this unjust war! And I think a lot of the stuff on your list was made up. Muslims killing their own children??? Hogwash!!!!!! The Islamic people value life and children over anything else. If that was true why don’t we ever hear about this on the news if it is happening so much???? Because it is all bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dave C. says:

Nick, you are spot on..
    There are over a billion muslims in the world. If 10% are radical then we have over a million trying to kill us. If 1% then there are still 100 thousand. That is a lot of stealth killers out there trying to kill the Jew first and us second.
    As others have said, they don’t want to negotiate, they don’t want to talk, they don’t want peace, they want us dead.

19. Gail Vessey says:

Tom D., do you have a television? Do you ever read a newspaper? Check the news on the internet? Less then a month ago an Iraqi-American father named Faleh Hassan Almaleki murdered his 20 year old daughter in Peoria, Arizona because she was becoming too “westernized.” Here’s a link to a news story abut it http://abcnews.go.com/WN/US/ar.....id=8890844

20. Steve says:

It is not all bad, just most of it.
    I did not see anyone talking about the fundamentalist Christian wingnuts who blow up abortion clinics and kill doctors.
    Religion preaches too much and practices too little.
    I cannot understand people who say they believe in all that mumbo-jumbo in the bible or koran or torah. A bunch of scarey stories to keep the superstitious, impressionable followers in line. Religious “leaders” twist words to their own devices and enlist the gullible to do their bidding for power, greed and averice.

21. Fred Wishnie says:

A pox on all their houses!

The radical, conservative, fundamentalists of every religion are basically the same – narrow minded, judgmental, dangerous and the cause of most of the problems throughout the history of the world.