An illegal alien from El Salvador named Roxana Orellana Santos has filed a million dollar lawsuit against Frederick County, Maryland Sheriff Jenkins, one of his deputies, the County Board of Commissioners, and immigration officials for detaining her based solely on her ethnicity.

Santos alleged that she was minding her own business when law officers detained her for questioning, and then arrested her on an outstanding warrant from Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The Sheriff says that his deputies were making a routine check of an area when Santos spotted them and ran to hide behind a storage container, and that her actions, not her skin color, gave deputies cause to investigate further. After checking her identification, they discovered the warrant for her arrest and took her into custody.

Meanwhile, a news story this week says a black woman from Missouri is claiming that racism led to her arrest after she got into an altercation at a Walmart store. The woman, Heather Ellis, claims that white customers and store staff, along with Kennett, Missouri police officers, pushed her, called her racial slurs, and then arrested her after she jumped ahead of other customers at a checkout line. She claims that the alteration occurred when she refused to go to the back of the line, because she wanted to check out with a family member who was also shopping at the store.

Witnesses to the incident, on the other hand, report that Ellis jumped in front of other customers, pushed their merchandise away to put hers in front, and became belligerent when confronted by store employees. Reports say that when she refused to leave the store and police were called, the confrontation escalated, with Ellis kicking one police officer and splitting another’s lip. She was arrested and charged with assaulting police officers, resisting arrest, and disturbing the peace.

Ellis is facing up to fifteen years in prison if convicted in the case, and has complained to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), saying that the system is trying to destroy her future. She was a college student at the time of her arrest, is currently a schoolteacher, and is engaged to a Louisiana State Trooper.

Okay, I wasn’t in Maryland when the deputies spotted Ms. Santos allegedly trying to hide from them, but I do know a little bit about the law and about probable cause, and it seems to me that her actions would give most police officers a reason to think that she was up to something that deserved further investigation.

Nor was I in the Walmart when the incident involving Ms. Ellis happened. But don’t you think she must accept a little responsibility for the situation she now finds herself in? She jumps in front of other people in a checkout line, she shoves their stuff out of the way, she refuses to wait her turn in line, she refuses to leave the store when asked to by employees, and then she allegedly assaults two cops. But no, in both cases, these women played the race card.

Sometimes when you find yourself in trouble, maybe it’s not because you’re a minority, a woman, or whatever you choose to call yourself to provide the excuse you need to justify your own shortcomings and misdeeds. Sometimes it’s just because you’re a jerk.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments on Sometimes It’s Because You’re A Jerk

1. MichaelG says:

But sometimes it isn’t. I used to take these reports at face value and assume the cops were right, but then you read something like this:

It Opened Our Eyes”

The Cheolases eventually discovered that the police officers who came to their home that night had written two sets of reports, and there were major discrepancies between the two drafts. The second drafts included damning information about the Cheolases that was nowhere to be found in the initial reports. They also discovered the officers were wearing microphones on their uniforms that connected to the dash cam on their patrol cars. The audio recordings captured by those microphones would eventually vindicate the family in court.

“The police reports attributed 28 separate statements to my mother that made her seem drunk, belligerent and confrontational. Of those 28, only one benign statement actually shows up in the audio. Everyone lied after the fact. The police, the paramedics, the parents of the girl who got drunk. The tapes show that,” Nick says. The police reports also allege that when officers attempted to enter the home, Candice Cheolas repeatedly screamed at them and blocked their access to the doorway—the reason for the obstruction charge. But the audio tapes show she wasn’t even outside when the officers entered the home, and bear no evidence of screaming. All of which is why the prosecution took the unusual step of trying to prevent the police department’s own audio tapes from being admitted into evidence.

2. Ken says:

Jerk is a very kind term for some of these people. There are the rare instances such as Michael cited above, but in the greater number of cases, there is a jerk involved. Why is it suddenly acceptable to scream racism in any instance. Why don’t people take responsibility for their actions. The cop did not “give” you a speeding ticket. You “earned” it by speeding, you dummy. And it does not matter if you are green or yellow.
    I am so tired of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (and others) always playing the race card. If you stand back and consider their actions, who is the bigger racist in those instances?

3. Tom in Ohio says:

As an ex-police officer I have seen both sides of story. When involved in a situation where emotions are running high reason is sometimes lost in the heat of the battle. In todays world too many times the event is lost in the “My Rights” debate. We as law enforcement are expected to be all knowing on a split seconds
    event. In real life thats sometimes not practial or sometimes possible..as in a life/death or crowd situation. The public expects us to protect,serve,consul,provide and perform every request made on the spot. All to offen the public demands that we uphold the law until it effects them. Nick is correct.. a jerk is usually the first one to yell about their rights no matter what their race.

4. Dave Bossert says:

When I hear about these incidents or experience them, I always try to remind myself that this is not representative of all people of color. Their actions show that there are many issues in their lives. I’ve been very fotunate to know and work with many professional people of color that would never “play the race card.”It seems that the few bad apples are spoiling it for the entire bunch. In other words, I try not to paint them all with the same brush but instead, try to judge each individual as they should be judged by their actions. The two people that were in the blog were most certainly wrong and because of their personal situations could only rely on the race card as a defense.

5. Linda Mason says:

I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and always in mixed neighborhoods. When I was 5 and came home one day from school I said the “n” word. My mother took me in the bathroom and used Ivory bar soap to wash out my mouth. I have never forgotten that. She instilled in us that people should not be judged by color but my actions.

I am short, white, slightly poor, and now disabled. I watch as people use the disabled placards belonging to someone else. I then have to park elsewhere. I don’t demand a first in line for my disability. Change that, at Disney if you are in a wheelchair they put you at the front of the line. OK so I did go first a couple of times. LOL I don’t demand to go up front cause I am shorter. I don’t demand or get foodstamps, I just cook on a small budget.

I have seen a lot like many of you and it always amazes me when I see the behavior you talk about. Yes, 9 times out of 10, when loud demanding behavior occurs, they are black. I have had some very good friends and still do that are black. When I see a Hispanic couple with kids when they get to the check out line they always have foodstamps. I have had and still do some very good hispanic friends. I have also seen many poor white’s that are very disruptive. I have many poor white friend’s too.

So Nick, you are right. When these folks behave like that they are just plain jerks. I like to use another word or two that I won’t repeat here. Those folks do give the other’s a bad name. If it doesn’t affect me directly I just walk away. You can’t change them or their behavior. It is in their makeup and will alway’s be there. It does make for and unusual occurance from time to time.

6. Topfuel says:

I agree with Linda Mason 100%. I also grew up On the SE side of Chicago. 95th & Muskegon to be exact. Went to school with all races and received the same treatment from my parents.

7. Stephen Wilson says:

Nick, what can I say? I grew up poor and black, but I was blessed with parents who instilled a sense of value and self-worth in myself and my brothers and sisters. We all completed college by working our way through and earning every penny, and we all learned that it is not what is on the outside of us, but what is on the inside, that makes us who we are.

Years ago one of my nephews was having some problems and spent some time living with my parents. He got arrested for speeding and had an open container in the car. When he called my Daddy and Mamma to come bail him out, Mamma got dressed over Daddy’s objections and drove to the jailhouse at midnight. They brought the boy out, and the first words out of his mouth were “Grammy, these honky cops only stopped me because I’m black!”

Mamma and Daddy were well respected in our town, and when Mamma asked the desk sergeant how much the bail was and if they would take a check, he told her it was $300, and while they normally did not accept checks for bail, in this case they would take her check. Mamma then walked up to my nephew, slapped him in the face and said “Nobody put that booze in you but you. And nobody drove that car so fast but you. And nobody in my family calls anyone a racial name like you just did these police officers. So you’re skinny butt can sit in that cell until they get tired of looking at you and boot you out the back door!” Then she sat down and wrote out a check for $300 as a donation to help the police department purchase bulletproof vests for their officers.

Reading that, I assume you know my position on people who play the race card to try to divert attention away from their poor behavior.

By the way, that young man grew up to become a career Army officer!

You keep on telling I like it is, my friend. You have yet to write a blog I disagree with.