I’m gonna be rich! After a lifetime of hard work, starting several small businesses, feeding the occasional slot machine, and buying hundreds of lottery tickets over the years, I have finally found the secret to instant wealth! Yeah, I know, it took me 57 years to become an overnight success, but who cares? I’m gonna be rich!

I could have been rolling in riches a long time ago, but for my dear, departed mother. Mom was a great lady, and no kid could have wanted more than the love she gave to all of her children. Unfortunately, although she meant well, Mom tied my hands at an early age. As much as I loved her, I blame Mom for the relative poverty I have lived in all of my life.

It wasn’t until my recent financial epiphany that I realized that while she knew a lot about things like feeding a family and teaching us to wash behind our ears, and to always wear clean underwear in case we got into an accident, Mom was a babe in the woods when it came to money.

You see, as gentle as her loving hands were, my mother insisted on good manners, and those same hands never hesitated to whack an errant young butt if it were attached to one of her children who showed any rudeness to anybody, adult or child alike. I was raised to say please and thank you, to hold doors for others, and to be respectful to adults, ladies, teachers, and policemen. While that makes for good citizens, it has held me back financially.

You see, until last week, I never knew that being a rude jerk was the key to easy money. It is if you live in Kansas anyway.

A man by the name of Scott Schaper recently was awarded $4,000 in a settlement with the city of Olathe after Schaper was given a ticket for disorderly conduct by an Olathe police officer.

According to news reports, Schaper was originally ticketed for running a stop sign.  Then, when he flipped off the officer in response, he got the disorderly conduct ticket. Schaper reportedly reacted angrily because the traffic stop made his children cry.

As part of the settlement with the city,  Olathe must also pay $1,000 to the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas and Western Missouri. The settlement also requires Olathe police officers to receive  training to accept such verbal abuse.

Can you believe it? All this time, my good manners have been costing me money! From now on I’m going to flip off every cop I see, and I won’t hesitate to yell “Pig” every chance I get. I many just start breaking traffic laws to give myself more opportunities to interact with the police, so I can treat them like crap and get paid for it! It’s obviously a numbers game, and the more you act like a clod, the more you stand to earn. Hell, I may even moon a nun if I get the chance! That ought to be worth big bucks!

I course, there’s a downside to all of this. I won’t be able to spend my money on fancy sports cars like I’d love to.  Instead, I will need to have a custom car made that I can drive standing up. Because if I ever acted like that to anybody, even now, I’m pretty sure my mom would come out of her grave and bust my ass!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Comments on I’m Gonna Be Rich!

1. MichaelG says:

Anyone who carries a gun should have a very, very thick skin when it comes to insults. That goes double for cops, who can use that gun without even facing charges most of the time.

2. Bill Auld says:

I believe someone missed the point of Bad Nick’s blog.

3. John says:

Sorry MichaelG but I don’t agree with you. Cops are people too. And they deserve at least as much respect as anyone else – actually more. They have a job I wouldn’t take for any amount of money. Personally, I hold them to much higher standards than I do for ‘regular’ people. ’cause they do carry a gun. By the way, where I come from, when they discharge their gun a ‘big’ investigation ensues. Many years ago I lived next to a deputy sheriff who had to kill a guy who pointed a loaded rifle at him. Guys in suits spent months deciding if the decision he made in a couple of seconds was correct. He was vindicated but it changed him. If you disrespect a cop you deserve whatever you get as long as it’s legal.

4. carroll says:

MichaelG doesn’t appear to be much different than ScottS.

5. Ken H says:

You know John, you and I are on the same page. There is no way I would be a cop. If I were, I would approach EVERY traffic stop with a drawn gun, cocked.

People think the cops are “giving” them a ticket. What? They earned it by being stupid. The ones that disrespect the cops are the first to holler help from those same cops.

I’m like Nick, I would need a stand-up car, or maybe a scooter, ’cause Mom and Dad both would bust my sitter wide open.

6. MichaelG is off on one of his contrary rants again, I guess. Nick and the rest of you have it right. And courts are stupid to make judgments like that.

7. katie says:

BECAUSE cops have guns I always nod & smile, nod & smile. Same thing I do when momma tells me what’s what. Both have the power to make my life difficult, for a long time, if a disagreement ensues. I wouldn’t want to be this guy or his kids driving around that town. Can you imagine being his neighbor. Knowing that he now has $4,000 of your hard earned tax money for flipping off a cop. I’m seeing toilet paper in trees just before a rainy night. Not to mention small burning packages of doggie love lighting up the evening on his porch.

8. Connie Braidh says:

Unbelievable. The cop was doing his job, the citizen was rude and probably obscene. Unbelievable.
    But notice, the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION got $1000. There is your problem. That group needs to be disbanded!!!!!!!

9. Elaine says:

This person is not setting a good example for his children, he is teaching if you disrespect authority you are in the right and will get money for it. He needs a good whack on his butte with a 2×4. My mom would also give me a good whack on my sit down. As for the ACLU they are just a bunch of crap. Get rid of them and we would be better off.

10. SkippyMom says:

This is a joke.

My Mom, who is 70/I am 43 would whoop my ass if I filed a suit like this and that would be AFTER she slapped me stupid for actually flipping the poor cop off [well, she would have put me through the wall for flipping off anyone ftm]

Then again I have friends that make fun of our husband and I because we have raised our kids to say “please, thank you” and the DREADED “Yes Ma’am and No Sir” They think it is antiquated and it makes them feel olllllllllllld when my kids say it.

Tough beans.

11. MichaelG says:

There’s a video from one of those cops shows where a guy in a pickup gets a ticket and just goes ballistic. He’s swearing and throwing himself back and forth so hard you can see the truck rocking.

The officer just smiles and wishes him a good day. That’s the way it should be done.

Cops are there to uphold the law, not act like your parents and not charge you with something just because they don’t like your attitude.

A lot of you just seem to like the idea of tough cops, and like the idea of an obedient public. Not exactly the principles this country was founded on.

12. Jim@HiTek says:

Come on people, there is no link to the original article and even less, there is no link to the court transcript.

Whenever I see one of these things floating around the internet, one – I remember the source, two – I remember that being in court and listening is one thing, reading a compiled, abridged, version written by a reporter is entirely different!

We don’t really know what happened here…perhaps the officer insulted the guys kids. We’re probably seeing a filtered, perhaps with prejudice, account; likely incomplete and probably inaccurate. IMO.

Especially if that reporter is too young, too old, hungover, sad about something, has a cold, had a fight with a loved one, hates the ACLU…etc., etc., etc..

Personally, I admire the ACLU, and although I don’t always agree with their law suits, I would defend their right to bring them. And I don’t often see them bringing law suits in frivolous cases.

Jumping to defend the cop without all the info is as bad as condemning him.

13. Nick Russell says:

Here are some links to satisfy your curiosity, Jim. There is plenty for me to blog about, I don’t have to invent incidents.

You’re right, we don’t know what happened here. Maybe, just maybe, the guy was really a jerk. Isn’t that possible?

14. Jerri Hemple says:

What a great father and what a great lesson for his kids! He runs a stop sign with his kids in the car then flips off a cop and cusses at him and he gets rewarded for it. Want to bet what kind of citizens those kids will grow up to be?

15. Walt Morgan says:

Between Michael G and Jim I now understand why we have the society we do.

16. Sue Issacs says:

I’m a schoolteacher and I see parents just like this every day. Their child acts out in school, fights with other students, doesn’t do their homework, or whatever. Then the parents blame me because their precious angel gets in trouble.

Last year I had one mother spit on me, in front of her three children, and a father threaten to run me off the road because I had given his son detention.

17. jPalm says:

Here’s another video of a guy that was upset about getting a ticket. be sure to have the sound on.

18. Mark B says:

Ya know, Jim, ya can actually Google a name if you want to learn more instead of just spoutin off. I’m just sayin

19. Kenneth says:

Cops are people too.
    They should not have to withstand any more abuse than you or I.
    The gun they carry is for their protection just like your is for you.
    There are good and bad cops just like any other group of people.
    They are trained to not shot you when you cuss them or flip them off, they give you a ticket instead and hurt your pocket book to remind you to obey the law and be a good citizen(example for your kids).
    They have a very thick skin.
    My skin is too thin to take the abuse they endure to provide a service to the community.
    I will put out the fires and they can deal with the drunks, etc.

20. Denise says:

I just wanted to comment on how fortunate Nick is to have had such a great Mom. We need more Mothers like his.

21. I don’t know about other states, but in Iowa every traffic law is an arrestable offense. If the cop gives you a ticket and sends you away, he has done you a favor.

JC