In West Texas there are so many Mexican children going to school, who have been sent across the border to escape drug war violence, that the school systems are having a hard time paying their bills.

Even worse, news reports say that thugs believed to be employed by various drug cartels are following school buses, and even walking into school buildings while classes are in session, either to be sure the children of their warlords are protected, or to send a message to parents allied with their enemies that “We can get to you and your children, even here.” Schools are hiring armed guards to prevent violence, even further straining their budgets.

A couple of weeks ago, two Americans employed by the U.S. consulate in Juarez, Mexico were murdered by suspected drug cartel gunmen. That same weekend, at least 30 other people were killed in Juarez. These killings were just a handful of literally thousands associated with drug violence across Mexico, from Tijuana to Ciudad Juarez, and south along the Texas border to Laredo. Even police officers and their families are common targets in the bloody drug wars.

A few days ago, Phil Krentz, a rancher near Douglas, Arizona, found a stash of drugs on his property, which sits on the Mexican border. He alerted authorities, who seized 200 pounds of marijuana and arrested eight Mexican nationals on charges of smuggling. The next day, the rancher’s brother, Robert, was murdered while patrolling his property. Many people along the border believe that the murder was in retribution for the earlier drug bust. The murder has ignited a firestorm across southern Arizona, as people demand action to protect them and their families from further violence. In return, all they have received so far are the same platitudes and empty promises they have received for years.

People, it’s time to take back our border. While our government wastes millions of dollars sending our military men and women to Iraq and Afghanistan to keep people from killing each other on the other side of the world, they are killing Americans right here at home! Our border is overrun with illegal aliens, killers, thieves, and smugglers. Mexico is a cesspool, teeming with disease and vermin, and it is spilling into our country. And yet, we stand by, twiddling our thumbs, as we have for decades, while the problem gets worse and worse.

It’s time to stop being the nice guys playing Big Brother to the rest of the world, and to fight the war we are losing here at home. There is going to be more bloodshed on the border. It’s inevitable. The only question that remains is whose blood will it be? That of American citizens, or that of the scumbags who violate our borders and our people.

We had a saying back when I was in the Army, “Kill ‘em all and let God sort it out.” Yeah, I know that sounds pretty harsh. But maybe it’s time we took harsh action. Because what we’ve been doing up until now sure as hell isn’t working.

Tags: , , , , , ,

24 Comments on It’s Time To Take Back Our Border

1. MichaelG says:

I don’t suppose you’d consider legalizing drugs and taking all the money (and violence) out of the drug trade?

2. bobc says:

Don’t suppose we created the problems by allowing illegal drug purchases & gun smuggling. Ask any kid where to buy drugs. At this point of no return MichaelG could have a better answer.

3. Kathe says:

I don’t disagree with you that something drastic needs to be done about the violence along the borders, but I do heartily disagree with your statement that “Mexico is a cesspool, teeming with disease and vermin”. It is so unlike you to paint with such a broad brush, it is not true and I am disappointed in you.

You and I both know that the law of supply and demand is heavily at work with the demand for the drugs coming from the US and the arms and money being shipped south from the US.

I support heavy penalties for employers who employ illegal aliens and legalizing all of the drugs that are fueling the violence. The money currently being spent on fighting the drug war can then be spent to provide havens for drug users, rehabilitation and increased education. There would be money left over.

4. Frank Serrao says:

There’s no leadership in Washington. The Tea Party movement has it right. We’ve got to take back our government and start running it “for the people”, not for the politicians.

5. Take the money that the Feds spend on Border Security, divided it up and give it to the border states based on per mile of border. Then turn Border security and control over to the states and the problem will be solved within a year.

6. Bob Derivan says:

November is coming and taking back our borders should be a priority. We have a man here in AZ who ran for President in 2008 and is running for reelection in 2010. As little as 3yrs ago, he cosponsored with liberal Ted Kennedy legislation to AGAIN grant amnesty to some 20 million illegals who broke our laws and entered OUR country illegally. In case you’ve forgotten, his name is John McCane. I have voted for him every year he’s run for office but can no longer support him. He’s demanding action by the Feds now but where was he in past years. He and ex-governor Janet Napalitano treat the problem as someone else’s unless it’s PC to support it. If I walk in a bank to steal money that’s not mine, it doesn’t matter if it’s to feed my family or to buy a new Winnebago Motorhome, it’s still a crime. Americans need to realize that entering our country illegally is also a CRIME and needs to be stopped. Let Mexico clean up their own cesspool. If the people there don’t like it, get together and stop it.

7. Connie Braidh says:

We just came back from visiting Mexico with the Mexican Connection. We went through Nogales, stayed in both Bahia de Kino and Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and visited the large city of Hermosilla. While the country does have some trash (not garbage) strewn around, it is NOT a CESSPOOL. The Mexican people were very nice and their tourist convention people worked very hard at seeing we had a nice and safe time.
    While I agree we need to control our borders better and we need to work with the Mexican government to clean up their drug and gang problems in Mexico and where it is spilling over into the USA, I can’t agree that Mexico is a CESSPOOL. I think your description, Nick, is incorrect. Most Mexican people are as upset as we are about the drug and gang problems. It makes it unsafe for everyone in both Mexico and the USA.
    The solution obviously is for both the USA and Mexico to work on and solve the problem. We can’t do it alone. If the Mexican authorities do not crack down on their side of the border, these drug and gang problems will continue.

8. Sid says:

I have to agree with MichaelG on this one! I am reading for the second time a book titled “The Reaper’s Line” written by Lee Morgan II a retired Customs agent who lives in Douglas, AZ. Read it and tell me what has changed in the last 30-40 years!

9. Carey McConnell says:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Michael G on something!

The drug business in Mexico pulls in 30 to 50 Billion a year which is second only to their entire petroleum industry. Young men growing up in Mexico have two choices: they can go into the drug trade or work at a NAFTA factory for slave wages that aren’t enough to live on. Those are virtually the ONLY two choices. Peasant agriculture is no longer viable and has practically disappeared. Tourism is shrinking.

Given the circumstances it’s easy to understand why young Mexican men go into the drug trade to provide for their families at great risk to themselves.

Legalizing drugs in our country and diverting those bazillions of drug-war dollars to drug education and drug treatment provides a permanent solution that would put a stop to the violence nearly overnight. I know there are a whole collection of other problems that would create in our country, but don’t we already have those problems, in spite of the “War?” And, wouldn’t it be easier to deal with these “new” problems if drugs were legal and no one were hiding their use?

I think so.

10. Carey McConnell says:

Sid,
    I don’t know what’s happened in the last 30 or 40 years, but in the last 5 years, the death rate along the border has increased 10 times. These numbers are from memory so sue me if they’re off a little. In 2006, 30 people were murdered in Juarez. In 2009, it was 2,600 !!

11. Carey McConnell says:

I’m sorry, but my math was so bad, I just had to repost :). It was 300 increasing to 2,600 (not 30). Nearly 10 times.

Thanks.

12. Bob says:

“Mexico is a cesspool, teeming with disease and vermin,”

Nick, the drug cartels are doing terrible things to Mexico and it’s people, and we are sadly getting hit with the edges of this tragedy. But despite this Mexico is a wonderful country filled with millions of wonderful, family oriented people. We’ve spent the last two winters there without a single problem, and plan to go back next year. We stay away from the boarder towns and some specific locations on the mainland (see the US Dept of State Web site. We should help the Mexicans reclaim their country and their economy, which in turn will help us with both our drug and imagration problems. We should condem a whole people based on the actions of criminals!

13. Kent Roberts says:

I am sorry I just don’t see how legizing drugs would help anything. Drugs are what cause most crime here in the states when people get “hooked” on hard drugs. The US should pull ALL of our troops out of EVERY foreign county and station them along the Mexican Border to stop all drug flow into the US. Then also work harder to clean up the drug use in the US.

14. Barbara says:

Its really funny that the border problems are so severe I was stopped at the customs in Toronto coming back into the U.S. I was told by Homelands Security (nasty people) I had been here over 6 months and I had to leave by the end of April. The Homeland Security web site says if you are a Canadian and can prove that you own a home pay taxes and don’t want to live here, there is no limit. Why would I give up my medical. They were not interested in seeing my documents. I was told that since I came in on September 18th I was over the 6 months. 2010 started in Jan so it is only three months. I have to say with everything going on they sure have time for an older lady that just wants to do her bucket list.

15. Sid says:

Carey,
    My point being this has been a problem for a long time! I am sure no one thinks all the “bad” people live on the Mexican side of the border.
    Check out the July 1998 Brownsville Agreement ….

16. Stu McNicol says:

Nick,
    Well said, couldn’t agree more.

17. Nick Russell says:

With all due respect to Kathe, Connie, Bob, and others who have had wonderful experiences in Mexico, the Mexico that you know and the Mexico that I know are two different places. I have spent too many years living on the border and covering stories for my newspapers on the many terrible things that can and do happen there.

I have covered first hand many, many stories of assualts and murders, of corruption, and of Americans being victimized. It’s easy to say that these things just happen on the border, but you have to get past the border to get anywhere else in Mexico. And that border is a cesspool. Even the US military won’t let its off duty personnel go into many border towns because of the crime and dangers there.

If you spend a month or two in any city like Tucson, Phoenix, El Paso, etc and read the newspaper every day, and watch the local TV news every evening, you will realize just how much of the crime that happens here has origins in Mexico.

Yes, there are many, many wonderful people in Mexico. As a kid I lived a stone’s throw from the border, and have known many great Mexican citizens. But it’s way past time for those wonderful people to stand up and take control of their own country, instead of allowing the drug cartels and crooked officials to run wild.

18. Connie Braidh says:

Nick,
    Perhaps you are too close to the problem. We are from Florida and you want to talk about a “cesspool”, certain sections of Miami are a disaster. You can’t even drive in or near them for fear of attack even during the day. There are many sections of our own country that need “a little” cleaning up.
    I do understand the drug, gang and human problems along the Mexican border. As I said in my other post, it is going to take not only the USA powers that be but also the Mexican powers that be to correct the problem. Unless both sides SERIOUSLY work on these problems, they will continue.
    However, the Mexican people in general are a very nice bunch of people. Tourism is way down in their country because of this problem which makes it all the harder to make a living in Mexico. I just hate to see all Mexicans tared and feathered because a small group are criminals. Remember we had our mafia, gangs, etc during prohibition. It took a concerted effort on the part of our country and courageous individuals to break the back of the crime bosses. The USA and Mexico need to follow the examples of how we succeeded in the past with similar problems. We got tough on crime. Time to do it again both on the USA and Mexican sides of the border.

19. Ron Olsen says:

Connie The procedure that stopped the problems brought on by prohibition was the repeal of prohibition. This would be the same if we legalized drugs and controlled them in this country. The value to the criminal is the illegality and thus the much higher value put on these items by the user. There is not as much “pull” to the teenager to use something that is not illegal as something that is. Ron

20. Kathe K says:

The US has 1963 miles of border with Mexico. If you carve off all of the area within 50 miles of the US border, you have eliminated less than 8% of Mexico’s total area of 1,232,844 square miles.

I think it is an appalling and ignorant generalization to call the country of Mexico “a cesspool, teeming with disease and vermin” based on what is happening in less than 8% of the country…and even more appalling to ignore what is causing the problem.

21. Connie Braidh says:

I think Kathe K. has a very valid point “what is causing the problem”. The drugs come into our country because there is a marketplace for the drugs. If our country (meaning some people in our country) were not users of the drugs then without a marketplace why would anyone bring in the drugs.
    It’s all a very complicated problem. With both user issues and police issues on both sides of the border.
    In response to Ron Olsen, certainly repeal of prohibition helped the cause but the mafia and gang were running other vices as well: ex. prostitution, gambling, drugs. It was through tough crackdown by people like Eliot Ness and the “Untouchables” (yes, they really existed & an interesting story) which really broke the back of those major crime systems.
    Love this blog. It’s thought provoking!!!!!!

22. Jim Burnett says:

Okay my friend, describe “harsh action.” What are you advocating we do? The so called wall does not work nor does the high tech gadgets and the few self-appointed armed “militia” is not holding them back. We need somebody we a real idea that can catch the imagination of the masses of concerned citizens on both sides of the border … even though thinks will most likely have to start from our side.

Calling the whole of the country of Mexico a cesspool does nothing constructive ….. except perhaps to point the finger right back at us … we, the good ol’ USofA that is the market for the swill that is slopping out of that cesspool in almost tsaumanie-like waves. The bloodshed and related gore is cased by gvreed for the cash that comes from Americans demanding what they have to sell.

Close the Borders … that will work about as well as Prohibition did and all that came with it, in spite of Elliott Ness and all the tommy guns. There is, I think, a call for looking at cause and effect here and while the blood and gore is on the border … that’s simply the effect. We need to address the cause in that exists on our owen streets and back alleys and in homes across America. Addressing the problem at the border will be about as effective as what we are vainly trying to do elsewhere in the world. Who of us is there to step out from behind the blogs and lead the charge …. If that were to happen, would anyone follow? Where do we start? Do we start with harsh action or … what. We need a voice, an MLK or someone like him who can mobilize the people without having to resort to arms … the voice, I think, has always won out in the type of social change it will take to solve this problem … we can’s shoot every border crosser, every criminal on the other side of the border, every mule, every transporter and dealer and every user. As long as there is a demand there is going to be a supplier and competition for the
    distribution rights.” And we simply do not have enough prisons to incarcerate them all … this is not the time for a call to arms, but a call for words, loud words, persistant words, the words spoken, yelled, written by millions and millions, words that will inspire and change minds. I wish I had such words, I hop and pray that someone does and that we will hear and listen and spread the word … we have to change minds and hearts.

23. […] upset a few people in my April 1st blog, It’s Time To Take Back Our Border, when I referred to Mexico as a “cesspool teeming with disease and vermin.” In the spirit of […]

24. Adam says: