Judging by the response from yesterday’s blog, a lot of folks feel the same way I do about Arizona’s new law, which calls for police to arrest any illegal aliens they find in the state. It seems to me that since there are so many jerks protesting this courageous action on the part of the State of Arizona, maybe the state needs to know that a lot of us agree.

So yesterday I sent Governor Jan Brewer an e-mail telling her that I, for one, was proud of her for signing the new law, and that I plan to spend more time in Arizona as a direct result of her action. Why don’t you do the same? I think the State of Arizona needs to know that there are a lot of us who stand behind their new law. Click here to e-mail Governor Brewer.

According to an Associated Press story yesterday, it looks like maybe Arizona’s new law is working already. According to this report, many illegal aliens who work as day laborers for cash say that they are planning to leave Arizona for friendlier states due to the new law. The story reported that an estimated 100,000 illegal aliens have left Arizona in the last two years due to the state’s crackdown on illegals. What does that leave, a half million left to go?

It kind of makes me wonder what would happen if all 50 states had the cajones of Arizona. Maybe they’d all go back to Mexico? Or would they just head north to Canada?

Obviously, this tough stance is working! We just need a lot more of it.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

20 Comments on It’s Working Already!

1. Steve says:

I heard on the news last night that the Mexican government issued a warning to its citizens to avoid Arizona.
    Get real. The root of the illegals problem in the US is the fact that employers in the US willingly hire the cheap labor. But it is not politically expedient to go after the root cause. Much like the drug violence. It is the US appetite and demand for those illegal drugs that drives the industry. Futile attempts to destroy the supply does not stop the demand. It just raises the stakes. Legalize and tax marajuana and much of that violence would end.

2. Steve has it exactly right! There would be no reason for Mexicans to come here if there were no jobs available and the violence (which is strictly drug trade related) is a result of our misguided drug policies. To bad we did not learn anything from prohibition!

There is no question that action was required; however, the idea of having to produce “papers” and jail time if “papers” are not being carried is too much like pre-WWII Germany.

Plus, are the Arizona tax payers prepared for the added expense of jailing the illegals as well as those who weren’t carrying papers?

While I do believe the Governor does not condone racial profiling, that is what will happen.

As Governor Richardson suggests, it is time to find a way to make folks “legal”, not citizens. They must speak English, have a job and pay taxes, etc. While Arizona’s actions will definitely spur more action, I can only hope that it will lead to constructive change that will be a positive to our economy.

4. Bob Derivan says:

You all need to take a drive to Mexico, say down to Baja. You will encounter many police checkpoints where YOU will be required to produce “YOUR PAPERS” and they better be in order or you’ll end up in one of Mexico’s beautiful confinement facilities until your relatives or friends realize your missing and can “Bribe” you out!! Mexican law requires you to produce your “PAPERS” whenever your asked by police and even a private citizen who believes your there illegally. A private citizen in Mexico can ask you to prove your there legally and detain you in any way necessary for police if they think you not. It’s time you bleeding hearts get real and admit “Illegals”, no matter where they are from, are putting a hugh strain on our schools, hospitals, law enforcement, and other taxpayer provided services and 99.999% in the US are from Mexico so ‘profile’ if necessary! As Len and Ray would say, ” Mexico’s president Caldaron is a hypocrite and needs to clean up his Third World Cesspool of a country before he tells us how to run the greatest Country that ever existed” Hat’s off to Governor Brewer for doing what the Federal Government is supposed to but won’t!!!

5. Dennise says:

Hey I just joined a group that is working to change the state motto to the “Show us your papers” state. So, I guess this law works in that these terrible illegals will go to another state and try to feed their kids. I bet Texas will one-up AZ by allowing the good people to move their focus from making Creationism the law of the state, to shoot them on sight no papers necessary. I read that the gov was out jogging, saw a coyote and shot it with his laser scope pistola.(Do they really have those things?) He can lead the pack.

Just kidding…but I agree with Dale, when the bill hits the taxpayers, they’ll scream it’s all Obama’s fault. LOL!

6. Bob Derivan says:

Dennise and Dale
    Don’t you get sand in your lungs when you breathe??

7. Ed Hackenbruch says:

If the law works as intended i think that Arizona might see an overall decrease in costs.

8. Al Hays says:

There won’t be many illegals heading for Canada Nick . We don’t pick much fruit all winter long !

Is there no responsibility for the employers ? If the employers are hiding their costs with cash payments to illegals, you can be sure they are hiding income as well. Hello, Hello is anybody there at the IRS ? It must be fashionable to loo the other way for the poor poor farmers who own all the land. What a system !

9. Bob says:

Yes, they can come up here and freeze their ass off with the rest of us. Why do you think we go to Arizona? Legaly of course & have the papers to prove it.

10. This moment in History in Arizona brings to mind a moment in Texas History. “REMEMBER THE ALAMO”

11. SkippyMom says:

WIth all the ancestory stuff Nick does I am forced to wonder if your long ago relatives would’ve avoided places like NY, NJ – heck a good portion of the New England coastline and moving over into Chicago and Detroit at the turn of the century in order to show those immigrants [a large portion illegal] a thing or two?

I am not trying to play devil’s advocate or stir up trouble, but it seems hypocritical for Arizona to do this now when the US has been doing the same thing forever, right?

12. Greg says:

People need to read tne new AZ law before critizing it. It’s only 17 pages. Check it out.

And if you do and then do a little Googling, you’ll find it almost mirrors the FEDERAL law in this case. The law basically gives the state of Arizona the right to enforce the FEDERAL law that is NOT being enforced.

As far as “showing your papers”, the law only gives the officers the right to check your status if they stop you for something else.

By Federal law if you have a Green Card, you have to have it on your person at all times and present it when asked by any law enforcement officer.

And as far as “racial profiling”, the police have to do it all the time, legally. If a black guy robs a bank and the police are looking for the robber, are they going to be looking at elderly white women? If they stop a van with 15 Hispanics in it, and the driver speaks almost no Englsh and doesn’t have a driver’s license, is it “racial profiling” to suspect that they might be here illegally?

And following up on something someone said above, if employers were heavily fined for hiring illegals, and rental agents were heavily fined for renting to them, they would go home. We’ve already seen some of this due to the economy. There is a Federal program called E-Verify that makes it very easy to determing if someone is legal or not. Just make it a law that it has to be used.

Illegal aliens are “illegal” by definition. They are breaking Federal law. Try doing this in another country and see how long you last.

13. Barbara says:

We don’t want them in Canada, we have enough of our own illegals. They know how to beat the system and get free health care and welfare. If they are caught they get to hang out at a motel close to the airport in Toronto awaiting their deportation. mmmm that probably will take from 3 to 5 years and they are getting everything free. Every country has a problem. I watched Anderson Cooper last night and Joe the sheriff from Arizona was on, boy do I like the guy. He takes no crap from anyone, come to Canada if you don’t get re elected.

14. Dennise says:

Gee Bob, that was really funny. But you just can’t hold a candle….

“It’s an unbelievable law. And it’s already starting to backfire. Today, a group of Native Americans pulled over a bunch of white guys and said, ‘Let’s see your papers.’”

“This new law is pretty strict. You can’t use the slogan ‘what can brown do for you?’ anymore. Can’t even use that.”

“Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the nation’s toughest anti-immigration bill into law. It’s unbelievable. It makes it a crime as a state law to be in the country illegally. It lets police question anyone about their status. You know what this means? Rich people in Arizona may have to start raising their own children now.”

Above quotes by Jay Leno

“Arizona’s Governor had been stalling, you know, on signing this. She said it did not reflect any ambivalence about the bill. She just wanted to make sure her pool was clean and her lawn was mowed before she signed.” —Bill Maher

“Arizona is the meth lab of democracy.” —Jon Stewart

15. Redbear says:

What concerns me is citizens. Legal aliens have papers on them, citizens usually don’t.

I am an “undocumented” American. I was born here, as were both my mother and my father. I have a birth certificate that was issued by the city I was born in, and my mother turned it over to me as an adult.

20 years ago when I wanted a passport, I found out the birth certificate I had was worthless, because the city seal was pre-printed instead of embossed. I eventually got that passport after a long delay, and the intervention of both the postal service and the State Department of Health.

Unfortunately, I let the passport expire, and the only value to an expired passport today is to prop up a wobbly table leg. I have a Social Security Card, but those can’t be used for ID. I also have my draft card and classification notice around somewhere.

I have a photo ID CDL, but that doesn’t prove I belong here, only that I can maneuver a tractor-trailer on a road test. I lost my HAZMAT, because I knew better than to try bringing my worthless birth certificate and expired passport to DMV. If I can get another passport, then I will promptly get the HAZMAT added back on my license.

The point is, true citizens may have no more and possibly less papers than illegal aliens. Are citizens in Arizona, especially Hispanic ones, going to need to carry a passport when going to the corner store for a loaf of bread? If citizens are mistakenly arrested and deported for lack of papers, is that an acceptable level of collateral damage?

Just something I’ve been thinking about.

16. Fred Wishnie says:

Undoubtedly Arizona has a big problem here, but the solution is much more complicated than this law addresses. The potential for abuse of legitimate citizens and legal residents is way too high and it puts too much responsibility on local law enforcement that aren’t trained for it.

The majority of illegals are just looking for work. The fastest solution would be to arrest the business owners who hire them and they’d stop coming quick enough. Probably too much campaign contribution money flowing for that to happen though.

17. Pam says:

Thank you for posting Governor Brewer’s email. We were planning to leave tomorrow for a trip to Arizona but changed our plans when this law was passed. I think I will email her and let her know that there are still Americans who believe that “those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither” and that a State who would codify bigotry doesn’t deserve my money.

I love Arizona and this will be the first time in 5 years that we will not be taking a trip there in the Spring. We postponed our trip until June and plan to head to South Dakota instead. I’m mostly bummed because we had planned to splurge on the Grand Canyon Railroad after reading your review but I’m sure we’ll find something in the Black Hills to spend our money on. (I hear there’s gold in them thar hills.)

18. Bill says:

I hope the sucess of Arizona will encourage a few other folks to “step up” and handle the problem. Texas and Utah show signs of sanity.

I can’t believe J. Napolitano’s “Blind Eye” statement that Arizona doesn’t have a problem. Statistics:
    U. S. Borders 12,000 Miles (more or less)
    Arizona/Mexico Border 350 Miles (more or less)

smuggled drugs through AZ. more than 50%

J. Napolitano unconcious (more or less)

But that’s just MY opinion.

19. Linda Pestes says:

Canada’s too cold for Mexicans or anybody else these days..it was only 39 degrees here today on Vancouver Island, supposedly the “warmest place in Canada”..
    As far as illegal aliens….almost every RV park we stayed in during our last 4 winters in AZ had illegals working at them…..why isn’t something done about the employers hiring them?

20. Paul Stough says:

Planning on Moving to Mexico.(from the net)

We plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws.
    I’m sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So would you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that we are on the way over?

Please let him know that we will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care of my entire family.
    2. English speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.
    3. Please print all Mexican government forms in English.
    4. I want my children to be taught Spanish by English speaking (bi-lingual) teachers.
    5. Tell their schools they need to include classes on American culture and history.
    6. I want my children to see the American flag on one of the flag poles at their school.
    7. Please plan to feed my children at school for both breakfast and lunch.
    8. I will need a local Mexican drivers license so I can get easy access to government services.
    9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico, but, I don’t plan to purchase car insurance and I probably won’t make any special effort to learn local traffic laws.
    10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from their President to leave me alone, please be sure that every patrol car has at least one English speaking officer.
    11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put U.S. flag decals on my car and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.
    12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes or have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.
    13. Please have the President tell all the Mexican people to be extremely nice and never say critical things about me or my family or about the strain we might place on their economy.
    14. I want to receive free food stamps.
    15. Naturally, I’ll expect free rent subsidies.
    16. I’ll need income tax credits so although I don’t pay Mexican taxes.
    17. Please arrange it so that the Mexican Government pays $4,500 to help me buy a new car.
    18. Oh yes, I almost forgot, please enroll me into the Mexican Social Security program so that I’ll get a monthly retirement income check.

I know that this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all his people who walkover to the U.S. from Mexico. I am sure that President Calderon won’t mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.