Have you received an e-mail with the following message, or seen it posted on Facebook?

Dear Lord, this year you took my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze. You took my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett. You took my favorite singer, Michael Jackson. I just wanted to let you know, my favorite president is Barack Obama.

If so, did you find it as offensive as I do? It’s not funny, and it’s not a political statement. It’s just sick.

What in the hell is wrong with people? I know a lot of dyed in the wool Democrats who loathed George W. Bush, and I heard them express their dissatisfaction with him more than once. But never, not one time, did I ever hear somebody wishing he was dead! My father intensely disliked John F. Kennedy, but I remember coming home from school the day Kennedy was assassinated and seeing tears running down Dad’s cheeks, because our President had been shot.

You don’t have to like President Obama. There are a lot of things I don’t like about him. I didn’t vote for him. But he is the President of the United States. He was elected by a majority vote of the populace, no matter what the wing nut extremists would have you believe. And as President, he deserves the respect of his office. I knew officers in the military that I absolutely hated, but I still showed them the respect their rank merited.

Somebody said that this little e-mail going around is an expression of free speech. No, it’s just an expression of tastelessness. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to yell “Fire!” in a crowded movie theater, and it doesn’t give you the right to publicly wish the President of the United States dead.

Yeah, I know, his health care reform is going to bankrupt us. Just like George Bush’s wars are bankrupting us. Yeah, I heard, you don’t believe that he was born in the United States, no matter what his Hawaiian birth certificate says. I didn’t hear him bitching because John McCain was born on an American military installation in Panama. Yeah, I know, he’s black, and he’s giving all of your money to minorities and illegal aliens. Guess what? During George Bush’s eight year reign, we had millions of people on welfare, and millions of illegals ripping off the system. They didn’t all show up on Inauguration Day. You’re right, the economy is in the toilet. Again, we didn’t get there in the last fifteen months.

The country was in trouble when President Obama took office, and I have no doubt that it will be in trouble when he leaves the White House. But he didn’t cause all of our problems overnight. Nobody is that good, or bad.

If you don’t like the man, vote him out of office next election. But in the meantime, grow up, and stop acting like a bunch of ignorant rednecks and spoiled children who are not getting their way!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

62 Comments on Obama Bashing Gone Too Far

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nick Russell. Nick Russell said: A new Bad Nick Blog titled Obama Bashing Gone Too Far at http://badnickblog.com/?p=524 […]

2. MichaelG says:

All I can say is this:

the Candidates

3. Joyce Lane says:

I agree! I did not vote for Barack Obama, in fact I actively campaigned for George W Bush. But the continued vile attacks and outright stupidity I have seen directed at the President have totally turned me off. Even my minister sent me the e-mail you posted above! Yes, a minister! When I told him how offensive I found his e-mail he said it as just a joke. How can a man of God and a community leader spread such trash!

I do not like President Obama or his policies, and I believe they are going to hurt us in the long run. But as Bad Nick says, he IS the President and deserves our respect.

4. Terry Upchurch says:

Written like a true socialist.

5. I am so with you on this, Nick! When I saw that “group” on Facebook, I was appalled! And I am in no way a fan of President Obama’s, didn’t vote for him, don’t like his policies, however, he IS our president and that FB group is so disrespectful. I realize people think it’s funny, but it’s not.

Thanks for always being real.

6. Ok, you are now officially my hero. I wish every extremest nut-case (either side) could read what you wrote.

7. Steve says:

I heard that tasteless “joke” yesterday from a co-worker. I agree that it is just wrong and hateful.
    I did vote for Obama and I am proud to say it. I am not a socialist. I love this country and am appalled at the devisiveness of current politics.
    For a while I was buying into a lot of that crap. Then I stopped reading the political emails from both sides and just deleted them. I’m much calmer politically now. I get my news from less biased sources and notice general improvement trends.

8. wayne hanson says:

hey bad nick; can’t lie did have to chuckle. i can’t remember how many death jokes there were about w. but there were many. but for some reason if you say or disagree with the chosen one your evil. go figure!!!!

9. Camille says:

One of my FB friends published that and I, too, was horrified. Although I did not vote for Obama (and I am a registered Democrat), no one should wish him dead. Indeed, that is sick.

10. Terry M says:

Nick, you may not have heard it, but there were a number of “jokes”, quotes, and a movie that implied that doing in Pres. Bush would be good for the country. Not right in either case. Sadly it seems to be a sign of the times.

11. Christine says:

Thank you……being the writer you are, you state it so much better than I could!

12. Roger Norris says:

You could not be more correct. The political rhetoric and bashing from both sides is nothing but destructive. I have always enjoyed healthy debates and have prided myself in being able to listen to both sides of an issue. Extremists on both sides have always made outlandish statements not worthy of consideration. My deep concern is that the current bashing from both sides seems to be the norm rather than the extreme. I have found that negative comments tend only to generate more negative comments. We need to return to the time when we could agree to disagree without the insults.

13. Kenneth says:

I agree with most of what you said Nick, but I voted for him.
    And I may vote for him again.

14. Dennise says:

You can’t fix stupid.

15. Sharon says:

Thanks for your level-headed approach to this matter, Nick. I’m glad to see you express your thoughts to your large number of readers. And I agree with you totally.

16. Mike & Gerri says:

I totslly agree that it is sick to pray for someon’s death. I did not vote for Obama nor do I agree with his philosophy for this country, but he is president. If we do not want him as president then we need to vote him out not pray him dead, tht is sick.

17. Bob Miller says:

He is not my president he is a complete ass. remember most so called journalnists are looney leftest wether they admit it on not and anyone who would vote for him again is just a dumb as he is Kenneth.

18. Bob Miller says:

WAAWAAWAA. This my answer back to you!!!!!!!!!!

19. Brian says:

It’s just a joke people, lighten up.

20. Arlene Sullivan says:

You couldn’t have said it better Nick.. I’m with you… I can’t believe people would wish our President of Our United States dead. It is no joke!

21. Dave B. says:

It amazes me how narrow minded people can be. I think it comes from being to set in their ways. Maybe if their boat got rocked a little more in life they would wake up and think for themselves instead of passing on stupid e-mails like that one !

22. Darrell says:

Amen, Nick! You keep on preaching and I’ll turn the pages. It’s unbelievable as to just how polarizing this country has become. Way too many extremists (both conservative and liberal) flooding the “air waves” with ridiculous Bull ca-ca!!

23. Sandy Stoltz says:

Well said Nick. I did vote for President Obama with no regrets. And although I couldn’t stand “Bush” and what he did to this country; he was still our President and therefore deserved our respect. And BTW Bob Miller, I most certainly would vote for him again. Ah, that’s called a “democracy”. And unless you plan on leaving the country permanently; he indeed is YOUR president too! Get used to it.

24. Bess Weber says:

The economy may have been in the toilet when O became president ,but he Flushed the toilet!!!

25. Elaine says:

Once again you have hit it right on the head. I did vote for Obama, I do not think I would again unless they put a total asshole up for the job. I do agree with his health plan, not for illegals or granting them amnisty. He is not afraid to state thing we do not want to hear. He still deserves our respect no matter what he say. Vote him out come 2012.

26. I’m with JC Webber. Let’s all get back to the middle away from the extremes. We are the UNITED States.

27. John says:

Right on, Nick!

28. Connie Braidh says:

Besides if he were to die or be assassinated look who we would get? Biden. What an idiot.
    Respect has to be earned. Obama is President. I respect the office not the man. There is a difference. There are a lot of tasteless jokes going around. If you don’t like the joke, delete it or walk away. You will never stop people from thinking or saying things you don’t like. Frankly I don’t see this as a big deal. And sorry but there were lots of negative jokes about Bush and hoping he would die. I guess you just didn’t see them. Every President has his/her supporters and bashers. That will never change.

29. Glen says:

Well, with what he was handed, I think he is doing a good job. I think we are certainly better off than with John and “Ditz”.

It’s just scary to think of “Sarah” being president. Would she just quit if someone said something about her she didn’t like?

30. Jay says:

I agree with you Nick. I am a member in good standing in the United States of America and I voted for the man that I thought had a better grasp of our problems and time so far has proven me right. I will continue to exercise my rights and vote how I see the problems and solutions. You are a fair minded writer of diverse ideas keep up your writing and BAD NICK is not always bad.

31. Elaine says:

Well said Nick. Right on. I voted for Obama, and still stand behind him. Our real problem is Congress. Republicans reject all ideas coming from the Democrats, and Democrats reject all Republican ideas. It’s time they quit playing their partisan games and started taking care of “We the People.”

32. Jim@HiTek says:

Once again you’re right Nick. And I get to vote for Obama twice!

33. Bill Auld says:

Is Bob Miller for real.

34. Bill says:

Why do you feel that you need to defend the most powerful leader in the world from tasteless humor? Oh!! maybe you see him as your weaker little bro, or yourself as stronger and smarter than the masses!

Either case — smells like liberal arrogance.

35. Helen Moll says:

I will never respect a man that talks down or apologizes about our country. President or not.

36. Carl Stallert says:

Yes Bess, he flushed to toilet. Somebody had to get rid of all that crap Bush let back up!

37. Jason Y. says:

Bob Miller is obviously part of the problem. Hey Bob, your guy blew it and the country got rid of him. Deal with it!

38. Rachel Deereing says:

After 8 years of Bush and the Bush policies, something had to change. Is Obama the answer? I don’t know, but as Bad Nick wrote a while back, somebody had to do something, which is more than Bush did.

39. Steve R. says:

Was a joke, not tasteful but still a joke, there were plenty of books and a video on how to assasinate GW or any other President, written in free speech category of course.

Dems were bashing GWB before the elections like never before and not a word said, NO respect for the office then or now it seems, shame it is but that is what America has become.

40. Joe says:

When I was in the service I HAD to respect the rank even if I didn’t respect the person holding the rank. Guess what, I’m NOT in the service now and I have no respect for the man. I think our country will suffer for years and years because of our political leaders that are in office now.

I think we are the divided states of America now and have been for a long time, republicans and democrats think more of their party than they do of the nation, and I think 95% (or more) of the politicians should be shot by a firing squad for serving themselves and not serving the United States.

41. wayne hanson says:

goodness!! sure am glad i’ve read how bad things were when george was pres. been self employed for 21 years and my memory remembers 4 1/% unemployment,the dow breaking a new record every other day. working class people whom i deal with every day union and non-union were making more money than i can ever remember. then we elected a democratic contolled congress and things seemed to start going south, coincedence? maybe, maybe not. when its all said and done i suspect oboma will accomplish one thing. he’s going to make jimmy carter look like a GOOD president!!!!!

42. Chris says:

I guess Bad Nick never saw this;

Liberal Website’s Members Pray for President Bush to Die
    By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
    Sat, 10/06/2007 – 16:56 ET

It certainly comes as no great surprise that liberal Internet denizens hate George W. Bush.

However, when this derangement syndrome sinks to the level of hoping your president dies, one must wonder what has happened to our nation for the citizenry to have so morally degenerated.

With that in mind, the liberal website Think Progress posted an article Saturday about a Fox News poll which asked respondents whether or not they prayed for the President.

Sadly, the comments posted by site members were absolutely abysmal (h/t Charles Johnson):

Link; http://newsbusters.org/blogs/n.....t-bush-die

43. Bob Miller says:

Wayne FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

44. Bob Miller says:

Added note to the rest of you. Are you all on the public dole. The way you talk and think makes me think you are. Sounds like the Detriot group saying the money will come from obama stach.

45. Roger says:

To Bob Miller – Why be so negative? By the way, what is a “stach”?

46. Amen Nick!

..and Bob Miller and his ilk are idiots!

47. Pat and Jim says:

Sorry to burst your feeble attempt to re-write history Wayne, but fact is, that the whole illusion of financial health that was spun out to the American public began to crumble in Q2 2008. That was 5 months before Obama was even elected!!!!!!

48. Art in Arizona says:

Wow! Forty six responses to “Obama Bashing Going Too Far” and still counting. Obama bashing hasn’t gone too far. It’s just beginning. The joke is not sick, it’s funny. The man is not our president, he is an illegal alien out to destroy the United States. I am a life-long liberal democrat that voted for him.
    Needless to say, I am no longer a democrat. If he tried to sneak into Arizona, we would catch him and send him back to Kenya.

49. carroll says:

At this moment MSNBC has an article that Obama doesn’t plan to return a $1,000,000 campaign donation from Goldman-Sachs.

Maybe a belated thank you for the donation is in order, before the …. hits the fan.