I had a boss once that had a sign in his office that said “Never try to teach a pig to sing. It’s a waste of time, and it irritates the pig.” Maybe I need to remember that and stop beating my head against the brick wall. But sometimes I just can’t help myself. Ignorance offends me too much.

The Obama bashers, who operate under the theory of who needs truth when bullshit spreads faster, are now circulating an e-mail claiming that President Barack Obama has cancelled the National Day of Prayer for the second year in a row. They also claim that while Obama has done this dastardly deed, he declared that a Muslim Day of Prayer be held in Washington instead.

This has understandably upset Christians and Republicans alike, and even though the story is untrue, we all know that there are millions of people who know that whatever comes in off the internet must be fact.

Why is it so hard for people to do a little research themselves, instead of accepting as gospel whatever some nitwit with a computer and an e-mail account has to say? Is it laziness, or are we really all that naive and/or biased?

I did a Google search with the words Obama Day Of Prayer, and here is what the Washington Post, CNN, the Christian Science Monitor, CBS News, and Christian Examiner have to say, along with many other media outlets:

The Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a lawsuit against President Obama to halt the observance of the day, and U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb ruled April 15 that the government’s observance of the event is unconstitutional, calling it “an inherently religious exercise that serves no secular function.”

In response the Obama administration has filed an appeal to the judge’s ruling. An appeal, folks, not an endorsement. The present administration disagrees with the judge’s ruling and is trying to get it set aside.

In spite of, and in defiance of, Judge Crabb’s decree, President Obama did issue a Presidential Proclamation designating the National Day of Prayer, just as he did in 2009.

As for Obama declaring a Muslim Day of Prayer, that also is a falsehood. Last September, a Muslim lawyer from New Jersey, named Hassen Abdellah, organized the event to let Americans who follow the Muslim religion to pray for the United States, and to show their love for America.

People, Muslim is not a dirty word. Let’s not forget that there are millions of people of the Muslim faith who are wonderful, productive citizens, in spite of the deeds of the radical element who practice terrorism in the name of religion. If you follow that line of thought, are all Catholics pedophiles because of the actions of some members of the clergy? Don’t Muslim Americans have the right to pray for their country, just as Christian Americans, or Jewish Americans?

Of course, I know that there are people reading this who know that I’m full of crap, because “I got an e-mail that said…..”

I’m waiting for the e-mail alert that President Obama pushed Humpty Dumpty off the wall. Hell, he’s guilty of everything else. I’m sure it won’t be long.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments on Did He Push Humpty Off The Wall Too?

1. MichaelG says:

What’s really tragic is that these kinds of issues are such trivial sideshows. Read this if you want a taste of what the serious issues are:

Huge National Debts Could Push Euro Zone into Bankruptcy

Obama needs to be worrying about the deficit, not adding to it, and not making statements about a “National Day of Prayer”.

2. Darrell says:

I think we will find that, “when “push comes to shove”, President Obama did, in fact, “have a hand” in Humpty Dumpty’s demise. Afterall, someone has to take “the fall” – Oh that was bad!!! Besides, President Obama is a liberal Democrat, and we all know that makes him evil to the core and more than cabable of such deeds.

When my aunt was in the hospital ICU the doctor informed the family that she was brain dead. My uncle just shook his head and stated that that was the first time they had had a Democrat in the family.

You’re right, Nick!! You should stop trying to teach the pig to sing – it annoys the ultra-conservative Republicans. They don’t want those who are able to sing (think) on their own anywhere near by. Ain’t that right, Rush and Ann?

Now, does anybody know where Obama hid Jimmy Hoffa’s body?

3. Mike & Janna says:

Geez, Nick do you always get it right. I am forwarding your email to two of our friends who so absolutely believe everything they read in an email or on the internet. My Mom taught me that if something is too good to be true, it usually isn’t true. I have developed my own take on that statement: “If it is too stupid to be believed, it usually isn’t true.” Such as the photos going around showing Obama not saluting the flag while everyone else on the podium is??? Thanks Nick

4. Connie Braidh says:

We check Snopes when these kinds of things come around. Usually we just push the delete button as we have enough to do without passing this kind of stuff around.
    Obama is still a socialist. I still don’t like him and hope he gets voted out of office. But I like to use the truth against him. There is plenty of that.

5. Welcome back, MichaelG.

6. Fred Wishnie says:

A lot of this is fed by the fact that people automatically believe what they want to believe, and have to be convinced that it’s not true. That’s why the birther movement still lives after all this time and convincing refutation.

7. ZoAnn Lapinsky says:

Thank you, Nick. I too an sick and tired of all the fabricated Obama bashing.

I for one agree with the court — I have no problem with a Day of Prayer, but it should not be led by our government. Our government should represent ALL of us — mainstream Christians, extremist Christians, Christmas-and-Easter Christians, Muslims, Wiccans, Jews, Non-believers, Rastafarians, Zoroastrians, Quakers, Hindi, Mormons, Scientologists, and even Pastafarians. And an other beliefs I haven’t thought to include.

The government can do this best by leaving religion to the religious organizations and staying neutral. No one needs to feel excluded that way, and yet everyone can practice their religion — or non-religion — as they see fit.

When prayer was removed from the public schools, there was a joke circulating — “As long as there are math tests, there WILL be prayer in school!” And I’m sure as long as there are devout Americans, there will be prayer without our government telling us when that should happen and who should participate.

8. Sherri Reed says:

Nick,
    I think people are upset because Obama did not have a National Day of Prayer CEREMONY for two years in a row. The people I know are aware that he has signed the National Day of Prayer PROCLAMATION.

9. Carey McConnell says:

In answer to Michael G.,

Obama sent a tweet! How long can that possibly take, three seconds? Eight? Actually, it was probably someone on his staff that did all the hard work sending it. In either event, I’m sure it did not eat into his efforts to deal with the deficit (and at least he’s trying to deal with it instead of not even knowing how to spell it like another president we know).

We have laws that are supposed to encourage truth in advertising and they are at least somewhat successful. Why can’t we have something similar for news. The lies I see and hear daily are absolutely shocking and, apparently, there is no downside for the people telling them. The downside for the public is: if enough people repeat the lie, it becomes the accepted “truth.”

Sometimes I wonder if, when someone accepts a position of political power in this country, they leave their sense of responsibility at the door. Can we please get some campaign finance reform?

By the way, Nick, nice use of a Samuel Clemmens quote (about the pig).

10. Steve says:

Pray if you want. There is no evidence that prayer has affected an outcome one way or another.
    That is part of what the 1st Amendment insures. Another part prohibits our government from instituting a state religion. That is interpreted to mean that the govenment should stay away from religious affiliations. Religious agendas should not be advanced in the political arena. How’s that working out?
    Enthusiastic followers of any religion want to legislate against someone. It is wasteful and mostly silly. But they have “morality” on their side. Any side.
    Is Anti-Religion a religion? The respective political parties want to instill a religious fervor so you will contribute.
    I’m a little more radical. I believe all religions are mind control. No, thank you.

11. I get upset with all the stuff that goes around and around without anyone checking it. But I got upset when they blamed President Bush for everything that went wrong even if their toilets didn’t flush right (that didn’t really happen but it could have). There was even the conspiracy that President Bush collaborated on the twin towers incident on 9/11. Now, President Obama has the gall to call for civility? It starts with him. He can stop the uncivility in his party.

12. Carey McConnell says:

Wait, first you say it’s not OK to blame Bush for everything, then you go and blame Obama for something? I’m confused.

By the way, I have it on excellent authority that it was Cheney that collaborated on the twin towers — Bush was reading to children at the time. (I’m kidding, of course. Everyone knows Bush can’t read.):)

13. foxriverguy says:

I think Nick should replace Andy Rooney and deliver the closing commentary on 60 Minutes. Nick is much more relevant than Andy.

14. Rob Deering says:

I believe, and this article from US News & World Report seems to support that belief, that before George W Bush, no other US presidents held ceremonies in the White House for this event. http://www.usnews.com/news/blo.....l-ceremony

So why is Obama the bad guy? I don’t like him a bit and I’ll be the first in line to vote him out of office. But lies and half truths do not serve the cause of those of us who oppose him as much as they make all of us look like liars and hurt our credibility. There are enough facts to ge the job done, enough with the BS!

I agree with Connie Braidh. I don’t believe everthing that comes over the internet and I check it out for the facts. I respect the office of the President even though I do not like his politics. He is socialist and I believe he will get voted out of office because of the facts not fiction. Some people get upset about “Obama bashing” but think “Palin bashing” is acceptable. The mainstream media including entertainers took part in that and it is still going on.

16. Its about time you libs got a taste of your own medicine. GWB got blamed for everything from climate change to African hunger. So, if the worst the chosen one gets blamed for is Humpty’s demise pardon me if I don’t shed a tear.