Last week the NAACP created a media firestorm when it accused some supporters of the Tea Party of “explicit racist behavior” and accused the Tea Party of a “drive to push our country back to the pre-civil rights era.”

While I am not a member of the Tea Party, and while some of its most vocal supporters have accused me of being on the other side of their platform, I have to ask, just which organization is really racist?

Doesn’t the NAACP play the race card with it’s very name – the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?  How much hell would be raised if somebody formed a National Association for the Advancement of White People?

The first page of the NAACP website is filled with links to articles against the Tea Party. If you were to believe these guys, the Tea Party is nothing but a bunch of neo-Nazis who spend their time burning crosses.

As I understand it, the NAACP is all about protecting those civil rights that they accuse the Tea Party of trying to destroy. So how come the NAACP (and people like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, for that matter) didn’t spring into action when the Justice Department declined to prosecute two Black Panther Party members who were accused of intimidating voters outside a polling place during the 2008 election? If the roles were reversed, and the Ku Klux Klan were accused of scaring off black voters, the group would be demanding Senate hearings, and Jackson and Sharpton would be pounding their fists on their pulpits, and leading protest marches through the streets.

Do I agree with everything the Tea Party says and does? No. But then again, half the time I second guess myself after the fact. Do I think they are racist? No, not as a group, though I have heard some people who claim to support all that the Tea Party stands for make some pretty racist statements. Then again, I have also heard soldiers, school teachers, truck drivers, and RVers say the same things. I don’t think we should judge any group by the actions or words of a few individuals.

Like it or not, there are a lot of people who do allow racism to impact their feelings about our President. If you don’t believe that, you may need to have a long, honest talk with yourself. I get their forwarded e-mails and jokes every day.

But, just because somebody disagrees with President Obama and his policies doesn’t necessarily make them a racist. That is what the NAACP fails to recognize.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments on Who’s The Racist?

1. Jim says:

I love it when Jesse Jacka$$ pops up and allows the world to see just what a jacka$$ he really is. Does he, Sharpton, and the NAACP think any clear thinking individual believes the hate they preach. If the major networks would just ignore them, they’d dry up and crawl back to their holes. But then, the networks have an agenda too.

Right on Bad Nick ….. Keep calling them as ya sees em.

There is an association for the advancement of white people: the Ku Klux Klan. Let’s not also forget many of the small, local militias.

While political correctness has, in my opinion, gone way too far to the point of being damaging, there is a great deal of prejudice and hatred out there directed at anyone who does not believe like you, or look like you, or pray like you.

I am a political centrist who just does not like extremes, no matter which side and I’ll share my last penny with you if you need it. But I cannot and will not condone prejudice of any kind.

3. Connie Braidh says:

One of the definitions of racist is discrimination or prejudice on race. That sure describes the NAACP to me. This organization discriminates against Caucasians because they are not “colored.”

We have Black History month, Martin Luther King Day, in Atlanta a black only subdivision, no one rides at the back of the bus, schools are integrated, everyone has the opportunity to make money.

Frankly the time for the NAACP is past. Now in 2010 we are all members of Homo sapiens. That is our genus and species. I’m tired of white, black, red, yellow and which is better. It’s OVER. The US is a polyglot nation. Everyone has equal opportunity. We have all flavors of Homo sapiens. It’s time to drop the race card and pick up the human card.

And it’s time to get over it!!!! I mean that for people who were slaves, I means it for the first nations people and any one else. This is the here and now. The past is over. We can learn from the past but don’t dwell in it, wallow in it, destroy your future because of it. Get over it!!!!! And that’s what is wrong with the NAACP. They aren’t getting over it!!!! They want to continue to harp on the race card. They are so out of date.

4. Tom Reynolds says:

Bad Nick, thanks for having the balls to say what so many of us all feel. I hate Jesse Jackson and Al Shaprton and the rest of that crowd. Not because of their color but because they are the real racists, promoting hate and prejudice. In our community a few years back we had a series of arson fires. It was discovered that a volunteer fireman was setting them, to give him an excuse to suit up and play hero. That’s what the NAACP, Jackson, ands Sharpton do – they fan the flames to give them an excuse to spout off and play hero.

5. It is unfortunate that we seem to have slipped backwards in our efforts to get past racism in this country, and not just in areas of black and white. The virulent racism directed at people from the Middle East and/or Central America has really muddied the waters and seems to have convinced some of our less intelligent citizens that racism in any form is acceptable.

When President Obama was elected a lot of of us felt we had reached a real turning point in race relations in this country. Unfortunately there are a lot of racist who have clothed themselves in the guise of “conservative” to spew their venom and they are aided and abetted by those who want to see Obama fail (for whatever reason) no matter how much damage they do to our country in the process. Instead of all of us working together to recover from the damage done there are those who are more concerned with personal gain instead of looking to the greater good.

6. I don’t get it. When the negro community says: “We Owe em” for making them part of past history.

Who we really OWE ! IS THE AMERICIAN INDIAN they are the ones who WE took this country away from. Talk about segreation>> Try the Indian Reservations in this country…..
    And, Lets make mandatory. To have a American Indian in every TV commericial. Too !!

We love ya Bad Nick…..

7. Orville Schinke says:

Nick, I think you pretty well nailed it. I just wish there was some way we could get the NCAAP to understand what they’re doing. Every time someone from the NCAAP opens his/her mouth the spew racism. You’d think they could become civilized. They all hearken back to the days of the slaves, but none of them came over on slave ships. Good grief!!!

8. Carey McConnell says:

Excuse me while I poke a stick in your eye. I think there is still a place for the NAACP in this country and I think this is confirmed by some of the comments about this Bad Nick post.

I don’t agree with the NAACP’s tactics from time to time. Same for Sharpton and Jackson. But racism is still here in the US and there is still a need to fight it. There may always be.

Most of us are naturally attracted to our own race and are at least a little uncomfortable around others. This is a tribal survival instinct that goes back millions of years. Pretty hard to break.

Racism can be subtle. As a white person raised in Lousiana and taught from birth to be predjudiced, it took a good many years and a lot of travel and immersion in other cultures for me to break through to some kind of understanding of what it is like to be on the other side.

It was a difficult, time-consuming lesson for me to learn and a little reminder once in a while won’t hurt me, as long as I’m not too arrogant to listen.

9. Stephen Wilson says:

Bad Nick, I don’t comment on here as frequently as some others, but I never miss a blog post. May I give you my perspective as a middle-aged black American who has seen racism in person?

Yes, it does exist. Yes, there are those of every color who will always hate someone else, be it for the color of their skin, the way they worship, or whom they choose to love. I have relatives who are so racist they make me ill to be around. They believe that every white person is committed to the subjugation or extermination of every person of color. That is as far off the mark as a white person believing every black person is lazy and lives off welfare.

But, and there is a big but here, those people are the extreme on both sides. We should ignore them, because we can never change them. What we have to work on doing is changing the rest of us. The good white man who really does believe that we are all equal deep down, but still forwards the offensive jokes and e-mails. The black woman who has a heart of gold, but still feels when some careless person slights her, it is because of the color of her skin. Those are the things we all need to work on.

And I am just as guilty as everyone else. A few weeks ago I was walking to my car in a parking lot here in Dayton, Ohio, when three young white men with close shaven heads came towards me. My first thought was skinheads, and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck start to rise. Then they nodded and said hello to me, and got into their car, and I saw the sticker from our Air Force base here in town. I was ashamed that my first thought was that I was seeing racists, instead of three fine young men serving their country.

As for Reverends Sharpton and Jackson, I have shared my thoughts with you on them previously, and we don’t disagree. I see them as part of the problem, not part of the solution. I think that just like trade unions, there was a time when the NAACP served a needed purpose. But just as with the trade unions (and I am a retired GM union member) that time has passed, and now they often do more harm than good.

10. Tom Maxey says:

I had hoped that electing a black president was a sign we were past looking at color in this country. I am saddened to find that the conservative talking heads have made it “OK” to be a racist again. Limbaugh and the others make the innuendos and outright racist comments to spread hate.

I do not belong to a political party anymore because I do not believe there is one that is for the middle class worker trying to hold his family and finances together.

The immigration issue shows us how the parties are not for the American worker.
    The Democrats do not want immigration reform as they believe the majority of the immigrants will eventually vote Democratic and they are also appealing to the growing Latino voting bloc.
    The Republicans do not want immigration reform, although in the end Bush lobbied hard for it and was shut down by his own party,as Big business wants cheap labor and a way to keep wages and the unions under control.

And as nothing happens illegal aliens suck up resources paid for by generations of American workers. CA, AZ NM all of the border states should try again to sue the Federal Government for having to support millions of illegals that the federal government should have stopped from invading our country. Instead they are taking seats in schools, emergency rooms, jails and being paid welfare and social security money. It is a national disgrace.

Some of these posts show that prejudice does indeed continue to exist. I have experienced religious prejudice and no matter how much I may understand how prejudice evolves, etc., it still rankles and hurts.

We must all learn to “agree to disagree” as the saying goes and to respect one another. Coming from a heavily populated east coast area and traveling through the mid-west, it can be so easily understood why political opinions are so very different; after all, our political leanings stem from our living our lives and the way of living and needs in a smaller community are so different from those of a larger populated community.

I so enjoy meeting everyone and speaking with everyone and learning about others. I do not care if someone thinks or believes differently than I; what I do care about is what we have in common.

Nick, one thing I have noticed is that you offer respect to others no matter whether or not you agree with them, e.g., President Obama. I only wish more folks would learn from you.

This blog aside, I am interested in knowing what Bad Nick thinks about the fact that Arizona is being sued by foreign governments to prevent Arizona from enforcing its new immigration law.

12. Roger says:

Have listened to an interesting report about what is really happening in America when it comes to race. There is a historical political strategy to raise fears in whites that somehow blacks are coming to take their stuff away. So stirring up racial issues plays to the strengths of this policy.

The New Black Panther thing is really three stupid guys and not some movement but if you only get your information from right wing nuts you would think that their actions back in 2008 represent a movement of tens of thousands of angry blacks.
    FOX and some conservatives are the ones “promoting and prejudice”.

To those that say “get over it” I would ask how can we get over people dehumanizing others based on the color of their skin. When there are those that liken our President to an African monkey how’s that not racist?

Are Jackson and Sharpton always correct? Not at all. But lumping all of “them” together and calling anyone complaining about occasional clear racist acts by either whites or blacks or browns is clearly not an un-bias response.

It is a sad comment that racism is clearly still alive and well here in America today when we have people running for major elected positions on a platform of White Supremacy, anti Semitism and clear racist stance. Just why would it be un-American for an individual to support the United Negro College Fund, or the Jewish Community Alliance?

Nick is correct in stating that the Tea Party is often unjustly accused of being racist, and I would also add the conservatives are also not, generally speaking, racist. Are there some in these groups that are racist?-yes. Nick pointed out that there are racist in most groups in the USA but that we should not generalize the whole group because of a few. The majority of them are good Americans that would like the nation to remain as it was formed under the constitution without undue federal government rules, regulations and unnecesary taxation. The country operates better under free enterprise than it does under federal government control of businesses. I would like to add that if I do receive a forward with a racist flavor that I delete it, I do not pass it on. I do not consider illegal imigration a racist issue as some would like to paint it. I consider it a security and an economic problem that needs to be dealt with.