The newscasts Wednesday were full of video clips of smiling American troops rolling  out of Iraq and across the border into Kuwait, with reports that the last combat troops were finally leaving that desert hellhole, seven years and five months after the U.S. invasion to overthrow dictator Saddam Hussein.

I’m sure that those soldiers are thrilled to be leaving Iraq. I know I would be! But the truth is, our troops aren’t really leaving at all. Even with the mass withdrawal, we will still have over 50,000 American servicemen and women remaining in Iraq, they just won’t be combat troops.

Oh sure, they will still carry weapons, but that’s just to defend themselves against attacks. And they will accompany Iraqi troops on combat missions, but only if they are asked to. And yeah, our Special Forces will still be in Iraq chasing down terrorists. But they won’t be combat troops!

I guess if somebody attacks a military base and the soldiers there use military weapons to defend themselves, we can’t really call that combat, can we? After all, the combat troops have left! And if American advisors to Iraqi units come under fire and have to fight back, how can we call that combat when the combat troops have left? And everybody knows that elite Special Forces soldiers are not combat troops, right?

So what happens if any of those 50,000 Americans still in Iraq are shot? Do they just get up and dust themselves off, and go about their business, because the combat is over?

So rest easy, Mom and Dad, your worries are over. The war is over and your sons and daughters are coming home. I saw it on the news. And the news people always keep us well informed with accurate, truthful reporting, don’t they?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments on Out At Last…. Not!

1. George W. says:

My grandson is an MP over there rght now and he isn’t coming home. He still has 9 months to go. He’s still doing the same job he has been doing on this tour and on his previous tour. It’s just as dangerous there right now as it was a year, or 5 years ago. We need to get all of those kids out of there right now and be done with it.

2. Pam says:

I watched the live coverage all evening and was incredibly moved by the happiness and pride of the soldiers returning home. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed a tear as the convoy pulled out, the gates closed and a soldier shouted “We’re going home!” This is a major milestone and these soldiers have every right to feel the pride and happiness I saw displayed.

I’m with the troops-I see this massive withdrawal as a good thing. None of the coverage I watched hid the fact that there would still be a troop presence in Iraq for a while. There will be plenty of time in the upcoming days for political sniping and negativity. Can’t we let the returning troops have a few days to enjoy this moment?

The troops remaining, will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight as they have been since this began. To all the troops returning: Thank you for your service, Godspeed and WELCOME HOME!!!

3. Butch says:

One question that comes to my mind, now that there are no more COMBAT TROOPS, is this no longer a WAR? Only a POLICE ACTION as in VIETNAM, so our government obligation to our troops is now different?

I certainly hope not, casualties in a police action are just as dead or wounded as any war casualty.

Among or armed forces you will find some of the finest most selfless people anywhere, they deserve the best our nation (or any nation they are protecting) can provide for them.

4. Claire says:

What Nick said!!!

5. MichaelG says:

I guess now we get to see what we bought with the money and the lives. If the place starts to fall apart again, it won’t be fun.

6. Dave B. says:

I still say that the way to end this is to require all the politicians be there along side the troops. I have a feeling that these things wouldn’t draw out so long if they themselves had to be there. They’re our leaders, they should be there right at the front leading us! {fat chance}

7. Nancy says:

Our son is still driving convoys into Iraq. My fear is that does his safety now depend on the Iraqi security forces? We have seen how successful they are in protecting their own citizens. Call it a victory if we must, but let’s get ALL of our young people out of there.

8. Carey McConnell says:

What are you thinking? We can’t pull all of the troops out because then Halliburton/KBR, Blackwater and 310 other defense contractors would lose money. Sheesh! Let’s get our priorities straight, here!

9. Susan Wilson says:

So, if all the combat troops have left, why is my cousin’s medical unit just now starting a 9-month tour in Irag? There can’t possibly be any wounded soldiers left to treat, right? :(

10. Tom Westerfield says:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

11. Kevin says:

Does this mean the “non-combat” troops will no longet get combat pay? Perhaps our leaders found a new way to pay down the deficit.

12. Kenneth says:

Just don’t forget who ordered the invasion.
    May God watch over our troops and move our country’s dialog from stupid to just foolish.

13. Tom says:

I am glad to see our troops getting out of Iraq. Its too bad that we are not getting all of them out. My guess is Iraq will be back in shambles in less than a year. Not much of a legacey for the price that so many of our brave men and women paid.