My father once told me never to discuss religion or politics, because most people cannot be objective about either issue. They are too emotionally involved.

Unfortunately, I have never been very good at following directions. The problem with that is that I try to ignore the rhetoric, and take a practical view of issues. I don’t always succeed at that, obviously, because I also don’t hesitate to say what I think, no matter who that offends.

That confuses the hell out of  a lot of people. Because I am pro-gun, a vocal patriot, and I believe that this country belongs to American citizens, not illegal intruders, the folks on the far left think I’m a redneck Conservative just waiting for the chance to blow away some poor lost Mexican peon I find stumbling through the desert.

On the other hand, because I believe that it’s none of my business who consenting adults love or what they do behind closed doors, because I think we should stop wasting American lives fighting wars in places we have no business being, and because I think that every American citizen should be able to get the health care they need, the radical Conservatives think I’m a poster child for all that is wrong with this country. Apparently, independent thought is a concept some folks just cannot understand.

That being said, let’s see if I can’t piss off some of our religious readers today when I ask, will the Catholic church ever come out of the Dark Ages?

In July, the Vatican declared that ordaining women into the priesthood was a sin comparable to pedophilia. How disgusting is that? How could any woman belong to a church who compares her to a child molester, based upon her gender?

This is the same church that has a history of covering up sexual abuse by priests, and moving them from one place to another, instead of dealing with their sick crimes. I guess they think that makes them experts on pedophilia.

In Argentina, when the government legalized gay marriage last month, the Catholic church called gays and lesbians “subhuman.” In 2008, Pope Benedict XVI said that saving humanity from homosexuality was just as important as saving the rain forests from lumberjacks. So much for loving our neighbors. What’s next, comparing black people to apes, like the racists of the Old South did?

While I am a spiritual person, I do not belong to any organized religion. Thinking that comes right out of the Dark ages, like the Catholic church’s views on women and gays, is the biggest reason why.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

57 Comments on Stuck In the Dark Ages

1. Great column Nick! You sure stirred up things!

When I was in fourth grade – many years ago! – I was told to bring a bible to catechism class. My mother (a convert) gave me her bible, a King James. The nun wanted to burn it because it was not a “Catholic” bible!!! I physically took it back from her. That was the beginning of my disillusionment with the Catholic church and eventually organized religion entirely.

Anyone is free to worship any god they wish – even the turtle that carries the world through the universe on it’s back – just don’t try to impose your beliefs on me.

All the supposed “sacred words of God” in the bible are the result of some white European men translating Greek, Latin, and Hebrew in the 17th century. Give me a break!

2. Kathe says:

Nick, looks like the religious lemmings are outnumbered as commenters here…it gives me hope for a better world someday…one more modeled on what we think Christ taught and less on how the Bible is being selectively interpreted by non-thinkers.

3. Kevin says:

I have always believed that God is all knowing, all loving, and benevolent. That is in complete contrast to the God I see organized religions promoting.

Take the traits we see promoted by organized religion and attach them to a person. Leave the concept of god out of the equasion for the moment.

1. If you don’t do what I say, I am going to punish you.
    2. I judge the homosexuals and others as bad, I am going to punish them.
    3. Kill those who oppose you.
    4. Move throughout the world and bend those who do not think the same as you over to your way of thinking. If they do not bend, kill them.

And on and on. This person would be a complete ass, not a God to worhip and cherish.

We make things way to tough. There is a God. He does not have a bunch of rules. He has one – Treat others as you would have them treat you.

If we preface every action from that perspective, the world would be a much happier and better place.

One thing we all agree on is that God gave us the power to choose. We screwed up in the Garden of Eden.

Following a man-written book rather than the Golden Rule is another choice. Are we making another mistake?

4. Nina Seibel says:

I agree, Nick. At least you had the guts to come out and say it. So many of us are such cowards and afraid of rocking the boat that we just let those so called “good people” quoting the bible run all over us–me included most of the time. Nina

5. T & R Martin says:

This is to Mr. Scott Gaines: My heart breaks for what your neighbors have done to you—NOT VERY NEIGHBORLY. You would be great to have as my neighbor. In fact, I had mentioned to my husband it would be great to have a “gay” neighbor as I have always found them to keep a nice home and lovely property. So keep your chin up, we are not all like that. Your neighbors’ church is not teaching them that, it is their own distorted way of thinking.

6. Kenneth says:

Now Nick, you know you will get in trouble for thinking for yourself.
    Surely you need assistance when you don’t conform with the FAR left or FAR right.
    How can our country survive if we think for our selves.
    You could destroy at least two major cable “news” channels with independent thinking.
    Please keep up the good work.
    We need more middle and less sides.

7. Roger Marble says:

Genealogical research has taught me is that it is impossible for real facts to be written down any significant amount of time after then fact never mind hundreds or thousands of years later.

It is also suggested that before anyone starts to quote chapter and verse take a look at the pious writings and behaviors in Genesis 19:30-38 incest, Judges 4 Slavery , Genesis 3 God created Man in his own image but the human body is a dirty and bad thing????, & Genesis 8 and just which wives had children with their brothers in law? 2 Samuel 11 Adultery
    WARNING some might consider this behavior to be X Rated.