Of all the things the world doesn’t need, it is a white version of Reverend Al Sharpton creating all kinds of hassles in an effort to get his face in front of a television camera. But that’s the first thing that came to my mind when I read about Terry Jones, the Florida religious fanatic who has threatened to burn Qurans Saturday.

First Jones, who runs a 50-member Pentecostal church in Gainesville, created controversy worldwide with his plan to hold a Quran burning ceremony on Saturday, the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. His announcement drew harsh criticism from everybody, from military leaders, to the White House, to Muslims worldwide.

Then he declared that he had reached an agreement with Muslim leaders that they would cancel their plans to build a mosque at Ground Zero and seek another location, in exchange for Jones canceling his event. Yeah, like some redneck religious whacko is going to force them to change their mosque plans, when they ignored the objections of millions worldwide.

Then, Jones took advantage of another chance to get in the news when he said he was reconsidering his Quran-burning because a Muslim leader had lied to him about their decision to move the proposed mosque away from Ground Zero.

I have made some folks mad in the past when I have said that my objection to organized religion is that it is made up of people, and all too often those people have their own agenda that is about as far away from doing good work and sharing God’s love as I am from being a spokesman for Weight Watchers. Terry Jones is a perfect example of what I’m talking about.

How can anybody who is supposed to be a religious leader preach hatred? How can a “man of faith” advocate burning another faith’s holy book? You can think what you want about Islam, but that’s just wrong!

Just as Islam has been used as an excuse for murder, terrorism, and a hundred other sins by fanatics, Christianity has been the reason for wars, persecution, and just about anything else that can get you a place at the head of the line in the express lane to Hell.

Do I think we need to take a stand against the terrorists of the world? You’re damn right we do! But I also know that this Bubba-brained idea can only lead to more violence against Americans.

Yes, I know that they burn Bibles in Muslim countries. They stone women too. But I’m not about to do either! Like my mother used to say, two wrongs don’t make a right.

This guy is a idiot, and the more face time the news media gives him, the more he’ll spout off. He’s eating up all of the attention. If everybody ignored him, he’d go away and crawl back under his rock.

Like I said, we don’t need a white version of Al Sharpton.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments on A White Al Sharpton?

1. Chris says:

Why does the media give air/space time to a two-bit preacher of a 50 member church? I guess I could say I was a preacher and tell my RVing friends to come listen to me. Bet I’d have more than 50 and then call the media when I want to do something stupid? I guess there isn’t enough going on in the world right now so they have to invent news from idiots like him!

2. Karen says:

This is not “news” just as most of the news shows aren’t really news, either. The networks are into entertainment and ratings, so they pick up on the crazy, the offbeat, and try to make us think it is news because they talk about on a so called “news” show. Whenever I see crap like that on the news, it makes me wonder what’s going on in Washington that they are trying to divert our attention from.

3. Mitch Brunt says:

Why is anybody listening to this ignorant hillbilly anyway? It just shows how anyone can become “famous” in today’s world.

4. Shirley Forbes says:

No one would have even known this if he hadn’t gotten the air time. If it creates violence it is the fault of the news, for making a big deal of it. Give me a break, how much publicity does a 50 member church and a southern preacher usually get for his statements.

5. Roger says:

Right on, Nick. This guy is more than an idiot. He is a danger to our country. The whole thing would go away if the media stepped up and refused to feed his ego.

6. Wayne says:

The press are also the idiots !! They report on any thing and stir the pot. This guy is a goof, but the press are the one who built him up. The press and their scar tactics.

7. concerned in texas says:

I am a Journalism graduate and life-long follower of news. Terry Jones is not news. He is network ratings and money in coffers of networks.

Terry Jones is misguided, misinformed, ignorant, attention seeking, vain, a jerk and worse.

If the first network to do his story had said No Way, we wouldn’t know who this idiot is.

8. Steve says:

Traditional media outlets have no choice but to report this “story” because of the Web.
    The days of a any news outlet determining mass media coverage are over.
    If a single crackpot anywhere decides to burn a Quran, Torah, Bible, Bhagavad Gita, or any other text, and even one person is there with a cellphone to upload the image, it enters the “larger flow of content” that is instantly available everywhere. The Web changes everything.

9. Jerry and Suzy says:

We certainly agree with both you, Nick,and with Steve’s comments about a single cellphone. Pack ’em all in a burlap bag and leave ’em behind a barn somewhere.

A good friend of ours puts out this quote: “It’s not the concept of God that bothers me, it’s His radical fan clubs!”

10. Tom Doyle says:

I’ve said this before but it deserves repeating. This came from the days after 9/11. “Al queda is to Islam as the KKK is to Christianity.”

To Steve, Jerry and Suzy and Tom: Thank you for some very good thoughts.

12. Gina Ellis says:

This idiot scares me just as any fanatic would scare me. Anytime we get someone who is a fanatic about anything (religion, politics, etc.) and that person can get others to “follow” him/her…well, then we’ve got a problem. This is yet another case where people are willing to allow someone else to do their thinking for them.

People, engage your brains and do your own thinking!!!! It’s not that difficult and you may find that it’s a welcome relief to actually have an idea of your own.

13. Tim Sawyer says:

Well said, Gina!!! The scarey thing is that nutcases like this DO have followers, and all of the media attention will only garner him more.

Whatever happened to the ability to think for ourselves?

14. Gary says:

This nut case does have the right to burn as many Qurans as he wants under the law of our land. No, I do not think it is the best idea at this time. No more so than the building of a Mosque near the Twin Tower site. However just like the ones who want to build near the site they are showing no more sensitivity than this nut case is to the Quaran burning. It’s IDIOTS like this on both sides of these issues that just want to keep the fires of hatred burning. To bad they don’t consume themselves.

15. Joe says:

Too many people in the USA just want everything to run smoothly, they don’t want to offend anyone. So we take prayer out of schools, quit saying the pledge of allegiance, remove the ten commandments for any public building, don’t allow a nativity scene anywhere, and the list goes on….
    We are loosing American Soldiers EVERYDAY by people that say they are doing it because the quran says to. Remember the TWIN TOWERS were destroyed by people that were following what they said the quran instructed them to do.
    Is burning the quran the right thing to do? I don’t know, but I do know the government and most everyone else is to “politically correct” to stand up and do the right thing, so someone needs to do something!
    A sign I saw in an old country store one day says it all.

“IN GOD WE TRUST, all others PAY CASH”.

We need to get GOD back.