Here I go again, whacking the hornets nest, as my friend Greg says. But sometimes I just can’t resist.

The other day, I mentioned in my RV blog that Dish Network and the Fox Network dweebs have gotten into a pissing match over rates, the result being that we have lost the FX channel, which is one of my favorites. I posted the same thing on one of the RV forums I frequent.

I guess that I should not have been surprised by the e-mails I got in response, and the comments on the forum. One person said he would be happy when the entire Fox Network went belly up, and somebody else jumped in to defend Fox, and before long it deteriorated into the same old tired arguments about the Tea Party, the liberal media hiding the truth, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, and President Obama’s supposedly bogus birth certificate (because “everybody knows he isn’t an American citizen”). How the hell did we get there from a simple comment about losing a single TV channel?

I won’t even begin to wade into the quagmire, because there is no winning, no matter which position I take. The folks who believe Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, and the rest of the Fox conservative talk show clowns walk on water are convinced that their cause is true and pure. Just as the hard core liberals, who worship the likes of Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller, and Thom Hartmann know that if you don’t welcome illegal aliens into this country with open arms, and if you expect people to actually work for a living, you must be some kind of paranoid gun toting redneck.

There is no middle ground with so many people these days. They all know that whatever position their favorite talk show host takes is gospel. I guess that way, they don’t have to think for themselves. It reminds me of the old saying “My mind’s made up, don’t confuse me with facts.”

And that’s okay. Save those brain cells for when you really need them. I mean, what if we lost all programming for a week or two? People’s heads might implode!

Folks, TV and radio (and this blog) are 99% entertainment! Whether it be your favorite sitcom, a football game, or a talk show. They’re all showmen whose jobs are to get ratings, which in turn sells advertising.  It doesn’t matter if those ads are million dollar 30 second blurbs on a political talk show, a Budweiser commercial during the Super Bowl, or yes, even the little Google ads on this blog.

And if something is entertaining and makes you think at the same time, that’s an added bonus. But when you begin to believe everything you see on a TV screen or hear on a radio program, whether that be believing that real life cops solve crimes in 60 minutes like they do on Law & Order, or whatever crapola the talk shows hosts are shoveling today, that’s when it becomes a dangerous thing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Comments on I Don’t Need Facts, My Mind’s Made Up!

1. Fred Wishnie says:

You’re so right, the reactions almost seem Pavlovian. Everyone just espouses their position almost on command.

If something doesn’t change soon, I think we are doomed. Absolutely nothing positive is getting done.

2. Angie Manson says:

You are so right! If you really listen to the wild claims they all make, it’s laughable.

3. Cindy -- Wyoming says:

I’ve found when driving down the road and “radio surfing” how much I love talk radio. I flip from conservative to liberal having a wonderful time laughing. I find out that I agree with some of each and find the majority of each “extremist crapola”. It does make me think and at times I actually learn something. Then there are those really ignorant statements that thoroughly tick me off — so, I use what all Americans should use when they strongly dislike something — turn the knob to off!

This leads into other areas that really set my teeth on edge — censorship, telling restaurants what is healthy and unhealthy to serve, AND trying to make laws to enforce what some groups believe “I” should follow to make “me” healthier, safer, more acceptable to their beliefs. The town I live in is trying to have a law passed to be ticketed if your car idles more than 60 seconds (the police don’t think they have time to do that due to more serious matters to investigate). These same folks have decided to MAKE people recycle by having the town legislate garbage companies to bill customers per bag– rising in price higher and higher after one. TURN THE KNOBS TO THE OFF POSITION OR CLICK THE DAMN REMOTE TO ANOTHER CHANNEL… I MAY WANT TO EAT ALL KINDS OF FATS — LEAVE ME ALONE SO I CAN DIE “MY WAY”. LEAVE MY RIGHT TO HAVE GUNS ALONE. ELIMINATE “DRIVE INS” OF ALL KINDS FOOL — THAT IS WHERE REAL IDLING IS. (Right, that is going to work as these same environmentally conscious people drive up for their morning lattes!) NOT ONLY WILL I BUY A COMPACTOR, I WILL TIPPY TOE AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT AND ADD TO OTHER FOLKS BAG COUNT. What I really want to know is why are we continuing to re-elect the folks that pass the laws and ordinances these groups of morons come up with to interfere with all our lives????? When did our freedoms start to be taken away from us and WHY are we letting it happen???? OOPS, I think I just ranted………..

4. Gary says:

Couldn’t agree with you more Nick. I do think Cindy did sum it up the best. Why do we keep electing the same idiots in? If we as a people want to really shake things up for a change, here is what we should do this year. Vote out a current Republican and vote in a Democrat. Then vote out a standing Democrat for a Republican. We can’t do any worse.

5. Denise Gray says:

You couldn’t have said it better Nick. People actually believe everything they are told and can’t seem to think for themselves any more!

Some of the comments here show how right you are.

I believe that the only way to help to get folks to think for themselves is to improve our schools. As I’ve said before, ignorance is expensive.

7. Sal. Bellomo says:

You are right and couldn’t put it any better and like the person
    said there is a Knob on all thing’s to turn off . Some people
    need to get a life and get there head out of hole you know where.
    There are so many good thing’s in this country to do. GOD BLESS

8. Dave Kunz says:

Thank You again Nick…As always you have hit the nail on the head…Really it all boils down to this .
    COMMON SENSE IS DEAD

9. Dave B. says:

But, if you want to be “cool”, you follow what the media says! Then you are accepted and one of the inside group that every one wants to know. Get with it people, what’s really most important? Nobody really wants to associate with practical thinkers. Give me some excitement and fun loving people who think outside of the box. That’s what makes life interesting.

10. Pete Stanowitz says:

With all due respect, you’re wrong, wrong, wrong!!! You have been brainwashed by the liberal media just like everybody else. Show me one time, just once, where Glen Beck or Rush have been wrong about one thing. They speak the truth, and can back up everything they say with facts. Who in the Obama administration can say the same thing? Obama has refused to produce a valid birth certificate, because there is none. But the government he controls will suppress that information to the end of time.

As for the Fox/Dish programming, I personally believe that is part of the plan to silence the truth on Fox. You will see the other cable companies doing the same thing very soon, at the behest of the Obama White House. They have done the same thing with daily newspapers, which are disappearing on a daily basis. Either they get with the program or they’re gone. To survive they have to go with the liberal controlled news sources.

I spent 20 years in the Army and the country I served no longer exists. While I was protecting it from outside enemies, it fell from the inside.

11. Matt K. says:

Don’t you get a headache beating your head against that wall all the time? Nobody on either side is listening. What’s the point? They “know” they’re right and you’ll never change their tiny little minds.

12. Carey McConnell says:

Yes. All of those talk show hosts are idiots just out to make ratings; except for the one I listen to!

13. Mary Lou says:

Nick, I agree with you completely.

14. Carey McConnell says:

Pete Stanowitz,
    With no respect at all, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Why just today, our local newspaper list 16 items that Glenn Beck was totally wrong about. Most of them were his own re-writes of our American history. Don’t even get me started on Rush. Next you’ll say Sarah Palin is an authority on what real American’s want. Sheesh!

Say! What if, from here on, everyone in America agreed to listen to the same blathering talk show host. No more arguments. Now let’s see, which one should we choose?

15. Dennis M says:

Boy, talk about paranoia!

Pete, the real reason newspapers are going belly up is that folks like you quit reading them and now get all their information from places like Fox news. Very sad.

16. Pete Stanowitz says:

Carey, that would be one of the same liberal controlled newspapers I wrote about in the first place. I don’t believe a word they have to say.

17. Randy Fortner says:

Your preaching to the choir Bad Nick. But how can we get the majority to listen? My inlaws think Fox News is the Holy Grail.

18. Al P. says:

The whole Fox Dish thing is about money. Fox wants more and Dish doesn’t want to pay it. When it all shakes out it will be the customers who pay anyway.

19. Jim Weise says:

If you think the media, conservative or liberal, is bad now, read a little history. The vitriol in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and during the civil war, makes the current media performance look pretty tame. Bottom line, take it all with a grain of salt, because the media has always been biased, and always will be.

And, as regards Congress, “pork” projects have existed for a very, very long time. Check it out should you choose to follow the suggestion of Jim (above).

Pete: how do you define liberal?

21. Frank Serrao says:

Pete S. is exactly right. There is a reason why Fox News is the number one rated news channel in the country and why Glenn Beck is the number one commentator. And they leave all the others in the dust as far as ratings are concerned. I think they are the most objective. Some people just don’t like the truth but fortunately they’re in the minority.

I used to be liberal until I realized what a great lie liberalism is. Then I came to my senses. I have checked a lot of the facts that Glenn Beck talks about and can’t see where he’s wrong on any of the important facts.

22. T & R Martin says:

Nick: Sorry you lost FOX EXTENDED (FX) as it seems these days we do not have control over anything anymore. Satellites, cable, or anything else. In the field of electronics if we want something fixed from a local, we call & get someone in INDIA who doesn’t have a clue as to what we are talking about. Gone are the days one could tinker with their old car & have it up & running in no time. I must say though, we LOVE our GPS. Some of our friends who have since passed would not believe we can tell our vehicle where to go & it takes us there. Too bad we can’t do that with some people (just kidding). As for newspapers, they are having a hard time right now, but it would be miserable if we had to go without our morning paper; how would we drink our coffee? Although our paper is now shorter & narrower with a lower quality paper, I will still fight to read it. As a news junkie who watches all the news networks, there is only one I no longer watch—NBC News & when Larry King leaves CNN I will really miss him, he listens to people. I also like Fox News as well even though they are relatively new (1996). So good luck & hope you get back your FX Channel. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

23. Remi says:

Nick, I agree with you totally… Also agree with what Cindy said too. I find it humorous though that even after your comment about the back and forth battles that arose and that you wouldn’t get into the middle that some folks still felt the urge to try and bring them around anyway. Personally, you’re right, there’s no winning stance and each side has *some* valid or semi-valid points, but so does the other. Aniyone with an average or above IQ can make anything sound feasible or reasonable and it’s not hard to selectively choose evidence to back any given stance. A long career in the corporate world has shown me many times how easy such is. I’m right there with you as I liked Fx too :)

An important thing to remember is that truth is predicated upon perception and that no one is perfect.

We are all never too old to learn and anyone who thinks they know it all is showing themselves to be a fool.

25. Roger says:

Bad Nick! Bad. See what you started.
    Next thing you’ll probably do is to say Beck was wrong to claim that there were no slaves in the 13 colonies till big government wrote the laws that created it, when it is well documented that Mr. Beck is infallible. Just ask him and he will tell you so.

I think the fundamental problem is that too many people were never taught how to think critically.

They were indoctrinated by their religious leaders or by their local school board or whoever the “authorities” were to never question those in authority (This goes back to a previous post about why the Jews didn’t fight back). As a result, few people even have the ability to tell the difference between fact and fiction.

Some call it “Fantasy Thought” or the “Tinkerbelle Effect” when just wishing, will make something happen.

This common mallady shows up when the subject believes in fairy tales like the Earth was created in six 24 hour days or that we can reduce the deficit and cut taxes at the same time, or that if you wrap yourself in the Flag you are somehow infallible, or if you can spout phrases pulled out of the religious book of choice you somehow are speaking with the authority direct from your god or like the mental illness that affects most Progressives that Conservatives will actually negotiate in good faith and do what is best for the country rather than simply oppose everything the President supports.

Never let it be said that Americans let the facts get in the way of their opinions.

26. Bill98065 says:

Bad Nick is good! Our country has become so polarized, outsourced and a land where the middle class has moved to the unemployment line, that it is no longer the UNITED States.