Let me ask you a question. If I were to steal your car and keep it, and if a couple of years later my kid got to be old enough to get a driver’s license, and I gave that kid your car, how would you feel about that? Would you be okay seeing my kid driving your car? After all, the kid didn’t steal it, I committed the crime, so my kid should be allowed to keep the car, right?

That pretty much sums up how I feel when I see the current news stories of young illegal aliens who are upset because the Senate blocked passage of the DREAM Act this weekend. The act, whose full name is the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, would create a path to citizenship for hundreds of thousands of people who entered the United States illegally before they were 16 years old, and who have lived in this country for at least five years. It would allow them a temporary (six year) residency permit, and if during that time they graduate from an “institution of higher learning” or complete at least two years of study toward a bachelor’s degree, they will be granted permanent residency, and can apply for citizenship.

The measure was short by five votes Saturday, preventing it from moving onto the full Senate floor, and ending its chances of passing this year.

Now, my first question is, what defines an “institution of higher learning”? Is going to cosmetology school higher learning? How about a truck driving school? My second question is, if somebody only has to complete two years of a four year college program, and has six years to do it, are we just encouraging a lot of dropouts who barely go through the motions to quality under the DREAM Act?

Nationwide, young illegal aliens are reported to be “upset and disappointed” by the act’s failure to move forward. One 20 year old was quoted as saying “It’s not fair! My family came here when I was five! I didn’t do anything wrong!” Another young man said “We’re here and we’re not leaving. The only question is if we can get an education and a good job, or spend our lives washing dishes.”

My response to those young people is, be “upset and disappointed” with your parents! They are the ones who brought you here illegally, and they are the reason you don’t enjoy the same status of legal aliens who came to this country the right way, and went through the process to live here. Don’t blame the American citizens whose tax dollars paid to educate you to this point. Blame your parents. That’s where the problem started.

If your father stole my car and gave it to you, and if I saw you in it, I’d drag you out kicking and screaming. It’s the same thing. Your parents brought you here illegally, and you need to leave this country, kicking and screaming all the way if that’s what it takes. And then, if you want to go through the process to re-enter the country legally, and to want to work hard to get an education, obey our laws, and then apply for residence and citizenship, we’ll welcome you with open arms.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Comments on Blame Your Parents, Not Us

1. Jack Walker says:

You hit the nail on the head with this one Nick! Just because they have broken the law by being here for over 5 years don’t make it right! Let them go through the steps that my grandparents and my wife did when they came to this country. My mother’s parents were from Italy and spoke no English when they arrived here LEGALLY. But they learned, and they never allowed their kids to speak Italian at home because they were Americans. My grandfather started out washing cars for a taxicab company in Philadelphia, until he learned to speak English, which took him a year. Then he got a hack license and drove cab for 12 years, and earned a college degree at the same time. Meanwhile, my grandmother learned English, worked in a bakery, and they eventually saved enough money to open a restaurant, which is still in the family.

My wife came here from France as a student, got her American citizenship, and works as a computer technician for a university. That’s how it’s supposed to be done.

2. Good job Bad Nick! My husbands parents came here from Russia via China the legal way. They worked hard and followed the rules. My dad’s parents came from Norway and also followed the rules…I am so glad they did.

People need to stop with the thinking that they are owed something by everyone they meet. I have a SIL who is like that and it drives me crazy. I just want to scream, get off the couch and take care of yourself like the rest of us do.

3. Round them all up- and take them to gitmo and kick them out the front door on Castro li9kie he dumped his garbage on us we have become a nation of weenies we don’t do anything becuas of what the world might think time to get the gutless wounders out of washington ass for the border maby it is time to put vigalanties there to stop the drugs from copmming in

4. MichaelG says:

He’s not stealing your car — he’s working in this country and supporting himself. He speaks only English because he’s been here all his life. Mexico would be foreign territory to him, where he doesn’t even speak the language.

And sure, he should be upset at his parents for trying to give him a better life. Mom and Dad, I hate you for not letting me grow up as a Mexican, with no job prospects and a drug war going on in the neighborhood. How could you?

As for “treat them like the Ellis Island immigrants”, well one of my great grandparents came in that way, and I don’t think there were any quotas, or any years-long waits for a green card (no such thing!) They only got rejected for health reasons. Otherwise, it was show up and you’re in. Just like walking across a border today.

From what I read, THERE IS NO LEGAL WAY TO IMMIGRATE FROM MEXICO. Not if you are adult, have no relatives here, and have no in-demand skills. The quota for people like that is essentially zero. So when you say “get in line”, you are really saying “go away.”

Frankly, I hope he doesn’t steal your car — I hope he steals your ID.

5. Trisha says:

MichaelG, you were making some interesting and thought-provoking points until your last statement. That just negated everything else you said. I gotta side with Bad Nick at this point.

6. Stan Hardy says:

Michael G you’re an idiot and a perfect example of all that is wrong with this country today.

7. Ken H says:

Yeah, Michaelg, I also am saying go away. Lawbreaking is lawbreaking, no matter if it is some “poor deprived illegal immigrant” who is “working and supporting himself”. If that is true, why are the emergency rooms overrun with medicaid patients paid for by the state? If that is true, why are the welfare rolls full of “poor deprived illegal immigrants”?
    They are not supporting a family, they are costing my family s in increased prices and restriced access. A hospital cannot turn away an illegal because he can’t pay. But, when I or my family go for medical care, we must pay either with insurance paid for by me, or sign promissory notes to be responsible for all costs. I don’t get a free ride, but I have to pay for the “poor deprived illegal immigrant” through increased costs, taxes and waiting. I for one am darn tired of it.

8. Fred Hammer says:

Many liberals contribute to the demise of the American way of life as our generation has known it. Birth rates and the lack of English as our national language will do the rest.

And, yes, the children of these illegals are “stealing” also. There are stealing resources from those who are citizens. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

Even if health was the deciding issue for rejected entry, at least the government then had the balls to enforce it.

Finally: Yes! We do need to tell them “GO AWAY!” And then back it up.

(And I’ll gladly contribute to a fund to send some liberals away with them.)

9. Dan says:

Hey Michael G, lets just let all of those poor, deprived Mexicans into the U.S. Think of the money we would save if we didn’t have to fund the Border Patrol, or Immigration and Customs Enforcement. We could tear down the fence and recycle the material into a useful project, like building more emergency rooms for the millions of illegals that get free health care. You are a classic example of the liberal socialist who thinks that government should provide a cradle to grave entitlement, no matter what the cost. I’ve got news for you pal, this country is going bankrupt, and unless something is done pretty damn quick, it won’t matter whether the border is secure, or wide open. Since you seem to be so sympathetic to the plight of the millions of illegals, perhaps you could loan your identity to one of them, or better yet, why not really be helpful, and loan an illegal your car.

10. MichaelG says:

By the way, by “steal your ID”, I didn’t mean run up your credit cards or something. I meant steal your right to work in the U.S. (social security number.) Because that’s the only difference between you and those kids who have been here nearly their whole lives.

I get mad at people who gripe about immigrants because it’s just another example of what’s wrong with this country. A British friend of mine had the same reaction. She talks to American teenagers and finds their attitudes bizarre.

They are clueless about how the rest of the world lives and don’t realize how good they have it. They feel entitled to the good life just because they were born in the U.S. And they have no skills, since an American high school education is worthless.

Education in this country has barely changed in the last 40 years according to test scores. The rest of the world wants what we have, and they are willing to work for it. Countries like China are working flat out to catch up with us. And if people in Mexico can’t find jobs there, they will walk across the border and work here.

You are fooling yourselves if you think you can shut out the world. We can’t even fix the drug problem, which is the source of a lot of what’s wrong in Mexico.

We have no alternative except to compete with the world. But the reaction is just the opposite. Large parts of the country just want to slam the doors on immigrants and foreign products. They just sit and sulk and talk about people “taking their jobs.” It’s only your job if someone wants to pay you to do it.

Congress just agreed to spend another $850 billion we don’t have on tax cuts and spending increases. Americans seem willing to let those guys piss away our future. All they want is more — more health care, more social security, more pensions and more salaries.

The immigrants at least have realistic expectations and will do the jobs that are there. That’s more than you can say for a lot of Americans. I have a couple of friends on unemployment for over a year, just because they refuse to compromise and take lower paying jobs.

I wish they behaved more like illegal immigrants.

11. Gary says:

Michael G sounds like the kind of person that would want the legal system to let a killer go free rather than see the death penalty. Even if it were one of her, own that was killed. It’s do to the thinking of those like Michael G that is way this country has so many problems now.

People will always have a difference in opinion and that is the way it’s supposed to be in our country – it’s called democracy for exactly that reason.

But to call someone an “idiot” because of his opinions is, IMO, uncalled for and rude. To categorize him as a “liberal socialist” when you know nothing about him is part of what is wrong in politics today.

It would have been very easy to simply say something to the effect that you totally disagree with him and why. Name calling is what children engage in. We adults should be past that stage.

The only way our country is going to move forward will be if both sides work to find common ground that they can agree upon. I have friends whose political opinions are not mine, yet we have always found ground upon which we can both stand upon in clear agreement.

13. Beverly De Fronzo says:

Well now, my ancestors date back to the Revolutionary War in this country and I have lost my job, cannot get FREE healthcare, cannot get a house given to me, no free education… what’s wrong with this picture???

14. Rob Fox says:

I was saddened by the rate at which this comments section descended into a rant. Maybe it’s just a reflection on the diminished humanity in modern life.

This great nation was built on the blood sweat and tears of immigrants searching for a better better and fairer life. The desire to improve one’s situation by seeking out opportunity and applying hard graft should be applauded.

That said, America now finds it’s self in a new phase. There is a marked decline in job opportunity and the social pressure associated with high levels of unemployment is beginning to show. There is a very real need for the country to manage immigration robustly, but justly.

It’s not the fault of the US born 16 year old child of the “illegal”. Shame on any civilised society that would seek to persecute a fellow human being in this way. So if it’s not the child’s fault, perhaps we should blame the “illegal” parents. No doubt they initiated the situation but, after being in the shadow economy for 16 years, there is surely an implied acceptance. They are de facto citizens.

What really bothers me is how an “illegal” can manage to survive in the shadow economy in the first place. Indeed, why is a shadow economy tolerated? Of course it’s tolerated and indeed encouraged by that section of society that wants cheap strawberries, low cost lawn care and many other services where cash transactions can be made and taxes avoided. This situation is exploited by those who will take advantage of desperate “illegals” and act as gang masters and 21st century slave traders.

If such an “illegal” has survived these conditions and raised a family for so many years with a societal blind eye turned, has he/she not earned citizenship. Or has America still not thrown off the mantle of slavery?

15. Susan Wilson says:

Just sayin’…I read someplace that there is a 100-year waiting list for legal immigration from Mexico. When you say “Come back legally”, your are talking about their great-grandchildren.

We should have annexed the whole country when we had the chance in the 1800’s…

16. Dave B. says:

I like to read Michael G.’s comments. He does give you the other side of the story. We all relate to these issues as they affect us. I have not had any problems with the Mexican’s because I come from the mid-west. I’m sure some one living in a border state has a different point of view. The only thing I noticed was how hard these Mexican people work for their money here. In one city in AZ I noticed them standing all day outside a home improvement store looking for day work. Where I come from the unemployed wouldn’t wait all day for work. They wouldn’t even wait all day for their unemployment check. I think we have it good. I think some of the hard working or educated ones could add to our society. There was one young Mexican college student on TV that is going to Med school here. We need more doctors and people like him. We need less people who are citizens here and only want a free ride on welfare or unemployment.

17. bucky says:

I agree with you Nick, the one thing not said by the liberials in there comments, is that if these sixteen year olds are given citizenship, they could then have the ability to help make their parents who came her illegaly gain citizenship.. We don’t need more people in this country, who don’t speak or language or respect our laws. We have to many people who are legal citizens who were born here, that are on wellfare, and others who can not find work………

18. Paul DeWeese says:

Rob Fox – If I recall from an earlier comment you made a week or two ago you said you came here from England. I assume you did so legally with a visa or work permit or whatever. That’s all we expect everybody else to do too.

Susan – If it really is a 100 year wait to immigrate legally from Mexico so be it. I assume we have immigation quotas for a reason.

19. Steve says:

It is pretty obvious that those here, including the original poster , have not read the proposed act or the provisions.
    Just more rhetoric from mis-informed sources repeated ad nauseum.

20. Rob Fox says:

Yes, I’m pleased to say that my wife and I are here at the invitation of the US government. My wife has worked at a senior level for a US software company for a number of years and was asked to join the New York office. You would not believe some of the hoops we had to jump through in order to obtain visas. Interestingly, I was only allowed to join her if I signed a declaration that I would NOT seek work. I’m happy to walk the dogs, cut the lawn and explore our new home.

Growing up through the late 50’s and 60’s, America was always a magical land of cowboys and Indians, I love Lucy, Happy Days, Walt Disney, moon shots and more. It was a dream just to visit let alone have the opportunity to reside here. We are both over 50 and, when the company asked my wife if she would consider moving …….. well quite frankly, she thought the manager was calling her in for that “downsizing” talk. I think we did a little dance around the dinning room that night. The most difficult thing was telling our children and grand children that we were leaving.

So we are three years into our adventure. We live in a rural part of NY State and have been most warmly welcomed. We also have a 40ft Americana 5th pulled by a Ram 3500 and so far we’ve been north to Niagara, east to Cape Cod and south to Atlanta and the Carolina coast. What ever else, America is a BIG and amazing landscape. I can’t wait to go west!

But back to the subject. As a mature economy America has to carefully manage immigration. Let’s face it. For all you have been told in the media, there are still very many people in the World that would like the opportunity to live and work here in the USA. What is not understood, however, is that the work opportunity has shrunk and largely polarised to low paid/unskilled and high pay/specialised jobs. There is a real squeeze in the middle where most ordinary folk work out their lives. America has grown up and is now facing some of the same economic challenges that Europe has felt in the last century.

The issue Nick raises does not, and cannot have a simple answer because it’s a compound problem that has resulted from mistakes made over generations. We have to separate the issues and deal with them rationally. Separate the past from the future. Establish a clear immigration policy and enforce it to stop the problems getting worse. Then go back to the problems that has arisen due to past lapses. We have to understand the motivation of people willing to risk all to come to this country. We have to “follow the money” and ask who is really benefiting in the exploitation of desperate people. I urge you to return to the founding fathers guiding light, natural law. It will give you the help you dealing with the human lives a the centre of this debate.

All the time the system tolerates employers who exploit illegal workers, these problems will continue to be generated.

I write, as always, in the spirit of exploration.

21. Paul DeWeese says:

Rob, welcome to our country. I hope your stay with us is happy and educational, whether its for a year or a lifetime. There is so much to see and do that it would take several lifetimes to get to it all.

Nick, I agree with you on this. You made a very good comparison to show that these people are illegals and do not deserve special treatment. Michael G. is way out in left field with his reasoning. The federal gov’t should do what it suppose to do and vigorously guard our borders. It might be beneficial to allow more people to work here on temporary visas rather than becoming citizens.