I just don’t get it.

We get the east and west coast network feeds, and yesterday evening every news broadcast had long, drawn out, stories about it being the 30th anniversary of the death of John Lennon, the former Beatle, who was murdered in New York City in 1980.

They also had a lot of coverage of the death yesterday of Elizabeth Edwards, a lady with a lot of class and grace who had the misfortune to be married to a sleaze ball like politician John Edwards.

Yet, I only heard one 30 second mention of the deaths of the 2,335 American servicemen and 68 civilians who were killed in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 69 years ago yesterday. Why is that? What does that say about our values and priorities as a nation?

Is it because Pearl Harbor is “ancient history” to so many people these days? Is it because those seamen, soldiers, and civilians didn’t have “glamour” roles in life, like rock musicians and politician’s wives?

Please don’t get me wrong, I think John Lennon was a great musician. Probably one of the greatest of my generation.  And Elizabeth was much, much more than a “politician’s wife.” She was a successful attorney in her own right, an advocate for those facing serious health issues, and I daresay that without her at his side, John Edwards wouldn’t have had nearly the opportunities that he had, and blew, in his career.

But what about those sailors, soldiers, and civilians who died at Pearl Harbor? Each and every one of them was somebody’s son, or father, or brother. Each and every one of them was a human being whose lives were snuffed out on a wild morning of insanity and bloodlust. Over 2,400 lives, gone forever. Don’t they deserve more than a brief mention too? I’m sorry,  just don’t get it.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Comments on I’m Sorry, I Just Don’t Get It

1. Dave B. says:

Unfortunately, time heals all wounds. The more time passes, the less we remember. Here in AZ., everyone was encouraged to fly their flags at 1/2 mast in remembrance of Pearl Harbor. On TV their were a couple of programs about it. Some people lost 3 sons from their family that day. Many lost two sons. What a human tradgedy it was.

2. Jim Guld says:

Flash! TV news is a bunch of crap and fluff and has been for a long time. Journalism is non-existent. The producers are mostly kids catering to advertisers.
    I did see some coverage on TV while visiting my Dad yesterday. The Sun-Sentinel had front page coverage with a large spread inside with interviews of veterans.
    The Web has plenty of interactive sites covering that infamous day.
    They are remembered.

3. T & R Martin says:

God bless you Bad Nick for remembering “Pearl Harbor Day” as I suspect you may not have been born at the time of the attack & that makes you even more special for the remembrance. Although I was young at the time, I remember what a sad day that was. I believe your concern is because you have served your country & are always cognizant of our military’s contribution—FREEDOM. I doubt that some of the folks of today will remember 9/11/01 as long as 12/7/41 because our memories are getting shorter & shorter w/each generation.(If we don’t remember the past, we are bound to repeat it.)

4. Turbo says:

Nick; I don’t think that you would be shocked at the number of municipalities that didn’t even have the clue to lower the nations flag to halph-staff on Dec.7.in front of their town hall.
    One town represenative here in CT was dismayed that the news orginazition covering that thoughtless oversight complained that the news media hadn’t contacted him first.

5. Darrell says:

Thanks Nick. Because of the attack on Pearl Harbor, my dad enlisted in the Navy where he served as a corpsman during the Invasion of Normandy. We owe our forefathers a lot more respect than they are receiving today. At least Tom Brokaw had the incite to write a book entitled “The Greatest Generation.” Too bad some of that “sense” didn’t rub off on his replacement, Brian Williams.

On top of that, what about the Americans who lost their lives this past past week fighting to keep us free from terrorists? I’m sure they had names, but we never hear of them. It is amazing what the networks consider news these days – where’s Walter Cronkite when you need him?

6. Doug says:

There were hundreds of thousands of people killed in the Civil War, many thousands killed in WWI, hundreds or more killed in individual battles such as at Normandy. It is all tragic but eventually we honor them on Veteran’s Day rather than on individual anniversaries. I think this is normal and about all I can say is that we are seeing that 69 years is about the limit of our attention span for Pearl Harbor.

7. Susan Wilson says:

I suspect it’s a matter of time passing. After all, we lost about 23,000 American lives on both sides of the Civil War Battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg in a single day, Sep. 17, 1862. No mention at all in any news media about that.

Maybe a day of carnage is memorialized until after the last veteran dies? We still observe Nov. 11, and we are down to one living veteran of that war…

8. At least here in Benson, AZ, flags were at half-staff. We remembered. I believe even our pastor mentioned it Sunday at church. And he’s a kid of only 61!

9. Sal. Bellomo says:

It is shocking that our Nation is so thoughtess of our Veteran’s
    to this day too. The oversight that the News Media has on what they
    Print is all about Money to sell paper’s . Pearl Harbor was a human Tradgedy and should be remembered better then in the past.
    We all THANK YOU for you writing about it you do your best .

GOD BLESS to all Sal.

10. Elaine & Mike says:

Here in Hondo TX they observed Dec 7 with all the flags at half staff, they had a brief ceremony in the morning honoring those who perished. If you ask almost anyone under the age of 40 what happened on Dec 7 you would be surprised at how many do not have a clue. It is not taught in history classes it seems.

11. Virg says:

Nick, on the NBC nightly news at 6:00 with Brian Williams he
    did give a tribute to those lost at Pearl Harbor. He also had
    video from the memorial. Here in Michigan all flags were to be
    flown at half staff across the entire state. I was only 8yrs.
    old at the time but I remember sitting in front of the radio
    listening to Pres. Roosevelt. I’m sure those of us who were
    alive at the time and lived thru the war years will never forget.

12. Linda says:

I agree Nick….being of the Beatle generation am I supposed to mourn a dead musician 30 years later???? Plueeeeeeeeeeese!!
    Pearl Harbor was a much more significant event!

13. I did see a fairly extensive report from the Pearl Harbor Museum. They showed several of the remaining service men, and their families who survived the attack. Several of them were using their canes and walkers. . .which made me realize how fragile they are. . .and how, once they are gone. . .another era in our history will be at an end.

I’m pretty sure it was a Fox News Report. . .

14. MichaelG says:

If it’s any consolation, I don’t think people will be mentioning the Beatles 69 years from now.

15. Rick Devoy says:

Darrell said: “…On top of that, what about the Americans who lost their lives this past week fighting to keep us free from terrorists? I’m sure they had names, but we never hear of them.”

That’s one of the reasons why I watch the PBS Evening News Hour every weekday night. Towards the end of the program, after their regular news segments, they will often show the names and faces of various members of the armed forces who have recently died in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan (usually about 10 at a time), “…as their names and photos are made available”. They are each shown in complete silence, which just makes the point all that much more poignant.

16. Paul Stough says:

Speaking of remembering, what world changing event happened two days before the US invasion of Grenada?

Hopefully everyone remembers.

Paul

It is good to see you giving tribute to the men that gave their lives as our country was attacked without warning launching us into a world war. I am so thankful to the men and women that have given the ultimate sacrifice to support our country. I believe our schools should be putting more stress on American history from the founding of our nation until today and the wars we fought in to keep America free. Too many people take our freedom for granted. It is essential that we keep a strong and ready military force.

18. bucky says:

I agree whole heartly with you Nick. I was was only 1 years old when the attack took place, but I remember my mother telling me how her brother my Uncle a medic stationed in Australia was rushed to Pearl Harbor to treat the wounded. He then served in all of the island campaigns, untill he was wounded at Iwo Jima.
    He was my hero. My Canadian Uncle was a shipping agent for the Canadian Steam Ship lines and located in Japan. He told me that they had to live in compound areas, and he and my Aunt lived in a area with a number of American Officers stationed there as US representatives. He was told by them that the Japanse were going to attack us some where, but the US goverment ignored our owm men. He sent my two cousins and aunt back to stay with her father in NY, about 2 weeks before the attack. He was allowed to leave Japan on the last allied ship taking out our people, but only after he had arranged for all pensions, of all his Japanese workers be paid to their goverment. He said they would not accept Canadian funds, only US dollars. He had to leave all of his possesions behind, including his pet dog. He was only allowed $5.00 in his pocket. He said he could never understand the US goverment not listening to our own service men……….

19. Nancy says:

Paul–the bombing of the US Marine Barracks in Beirut; 241 lives lost–a tragedy.

20. katie says:

Thanks for remembering Nick. This entry took me off to the web to see if any women died at Pearl Harbor. The answer is approximately 250. I spent my morning coffee reading about the tragedy and all the brave soldiers who died in this attack. I also read stories of the nurses who treated the wounded. It has been a somber morning, and well worth the time. Thank You.