In April, the Postal Service will be raising rates yet again, in its never ending, and futile, attempt to make ends meet. But even the powers that be in that monolithic organization know that simply increasing prices is not enough to cover their huge budget shortfalls, including a record $8.5 billion in losses in fiscal year 2010.

Last month, the Postal Service announced that it will be closing as many as 2,000 post office locations, beginning in March, and is looking at closing or cutting services at thousands more. Postal officials blame increasing use of e-mail and online bill payment methods, as well as increasing costs, for their financial woes.

All that may be true, but here’s an idea; instead of cutting back on service and locations, why doesn’t the Postal Service start taking care of its customers, and start offering real service, for a change!

Face it, the Postal Service is not user friendly, and has not been for a long, long time. In our business, we send out large amounts of mail at post office all over the country. This is always an adventure, because post office rules seem to be made on an individual basis, and not only are they different from one post office to another, sometimes they are different from day to day in the same post office!

Case in point – Monday, when I was at the post office, I told them that I would be bringing in several hundred First Class flats to drop off, that all would have metered postage on them, and asked where they wanted them. I was told to bring them into the lobby and ring the bell at the service door near the retail counter.

Yesterday I did so, and the clerk on duty very rudely told me that I should have brought them to the loading dock in the rear of the building. I explained that I had been told just the day before to bring them to the service door, and she basically called me a liar.

We have several Canadian subscribers, and some post offices require us to put a Customs declaration form on each envelope going to Canada, while others take them off and tell us it’s not necessary.

Postal regulations say that anything that weighs over 13 ounces and has stamps on it must be handed to a postal clerk, but that metered mail can be dropped into any post office box. But at a post office in Texas, the postmaster said that not only did I have to stand in line to hand the items to a clerk, even though we use metered postage from Stamps.com, he also told me that he would not accept my metered items, because we did not have a local address.

At the post office in Denton, Texas, we were told that they would not accept a General Delivery package mailed to us, and that we must rent a post office box, even though we were just passing through town. A post office in Florida refused to give one of our friends, whose first name name is Robert, his General Delivery mail because it was addressed to Bob, and his driver’s license did not say Bob.

Eleven days ago we mailed a First Class letter from Arizona to California, a distance of 390 miles. It still has not arrived. I could have walked there in that time!

I could give you a dozen other examples, but you get the idea. If a retail business treated its customers in such a manner, they would be closing their doors before long.

The postmaster in our old hometown was one of my closest friends, and I knew firsthand the problems he had, dealing with spoiled employees who didn’t want to do a lick of work, and were secure in the knowledge that their strong union would back up their grievances if he so much as talked sternly to them. One woman was off for over two years on disability following a leg injury, which happened when she got mad and kicked a piece of equipment.

But in that time, my newspaper covered several bicycle races she competed in. When her last appeal failed, and she was ordered to return to work or lose her job, she stayed less than two months, then went out on another extended paid disability leave due to her “mental stress.”

Maybe if the Postal Service would get rid of the deadwood like this woman, and the rest of their lazy, rude, incompetent employees, and start taking care of its customers, they might be able to turn things around. But we all know that will never happen. Government agencies are not known for their enlightened thoughts.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

46 Comments on Post Office Woes

1. Marty Raynes says:

Don’t even start dissing the unions!! I’ve been a union member for all of my working life and I’m a proud union retiree. If it weren’t for unions this country would not have ever grown to be as big and great as it is and we would all be slaves to big companies with no rights, no standard of living, and no future. You have no freaking idea what you’re talking about so just shut up!!

2. Jim says:

Hmmmmm, I’d just better shut up. No need to express an opinion.

3. If the post office started charging full price 44 cents for ech piece of junk mail they would makea profit. In my travels around the country having lived in 11 states the mail people are the most pains in the but I have ever seen they take grouch pills before going to work each day. As for unions they were great at one time but have gotton out of control and why anyone lets them to thier business is beyond me

4. Connie Braidh says:

I was a union member and also on the negotiating committee for many years at work, however that doesn’t mean that unions are always right. Unions like any other organizations seem over time to grow too large and too powerful. There needs to be a balance between union power and management power.

Having said all that, I now think unions have too much power in some businesses. It’s not good for the company and it’s not good for the workers. If the company goes out of business or doesn’t serve the customer, then eventually employees will lose their jobs. What we all want is the business to prosper and the workers to prosper.

And the US Post Office is an example of where the employees rarely serve the public in their best fashion. Like Nick we have been to many Post Offices around this country. The sad thing is that usually the smallest post offices are the best and these are the ones they want to close. The Post Office is in danger of going under not because e-mail and other services are there. They are going out of business because the Post Office is losing customers primarily due to employees not giving the best and fastest service they can. That’s my opinion anyway.

5. Jake Jacobs says:

I was a proud union employee for 34 yrs, in a paper mill. But I would be ashamed to say that, if I would have been employed at the post office! Alot of them, NOT ALL, But alot of them are VERY rude and uncaring. We used the Winterhaven, CA. post office the other day to pick up our General Delivery mail, and that woman behind the counter is “one of those” rude and uncaring ones!!! I remember from 3 yrs ago she was the same way.
    As for Marty–hope you can find a way to “take off the BLINDERS”

6. MaxC says:

Just think what will happen when Obama care takes over the Medical care in this country. Actually, it will save the government money since so many of us will likely drop dead waiting in line.

7. Jim says:

I agree, unions had a place and a time but that time has past!!! Just look at the percentage of people who belong to a union now vs. 30 or 40 years ago.

Living in Detroit you see examples of how the union has abused its power all the time. That is why other states are getting new business and Michigan is not.

And whoever let the government workers unionize made a huge mistake. Those unions feed the politicians to get re-elected and get sweetheart deals because of it. Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana have it right, if the union had done to a company what they have done to the states the company would have gone out of business a long time ago.

It also seems that all of my union member friends hate their companies (or at least have a huge chip on their shoulders), most of my non union member friends like their jobs and their companies. So be happy, don’t join a union.

Jim

8. ron says:

Marty Raynes, you shut up !! you worthless terd!!! you are what makes unions suck, you and your intitlement mentality!!

9. Janna says:

Unions are a disaster and that is what is wrong with the USPS, auto companies, you name it! Hospitals, my former employer, in some states have unions–a disaster! As usual Nick, you hit the nail on the head!

10. Dennis M says:

Interesting thing is that the local delivery people seem to be friendly and efficient, maybe because they get to know their customers. The ones behind the counter are a different story.

Last summer I was standing in line at the PO in Sun City Center, FL, a man in front of me wanted to mail a next day delivery letter, the clerk said “Sorry, we cannot accept those after 3:30 PM, the truck has left.” The man said “It is OK if it does not go until tomorrow”; Clerk: “You need to bring it back in the morning, we are not allowed to keep next day mail in the building overnight.” !!!

So, a rule meant to promote efficiency in reality results in inconvenience to the customer!

11. Fred Hammer says:

Some unions, especially those whose members are paid with taxes, may need to be dissed. As an elected official, I witnessed firsthand, the workers who worked slowly to “create” overtime situations, or goofed off for the last hour of a day. “Six men leaning on a shovel while one digs” has been witnessed by all of us.

As a teacher in Pennsylvania, I contributed 5.5%, and then 6.5% toward my retirement. Newly hired teachers today contribute 7.5%. What is so special about teachers from Wisconsin or Illinois that they contribute nothing?

Marty’s assertion about the greatness of our country is similar to the old chicken/egg question. Face it. Union workers are the income takers, getting (many times by force or deception) their largess from the income producers or business people who – instead of simply investing eight hours per day — often mortgage their properties and even their lives to create jobs where none existed before.

While it is true that we need both to exist, it is the attitude of some union members that they – not the income (or tax) providers — are so much more important that is the problem. Somebody needs to read the parable about the little red hen who baked bread!

IMHO unions are a necessary component to the continued existence of the middle class. I agree with comments made above to the effect that unions have gotten too big and too greedy, but please remember, it is these same unions that got us a shorter work week, safety regulations for the work place, etc.

As seen in many industries during these difficult economic times, many unions have already agreed to pay cuts, additional contributions towards retirement and health care and more. But it is exactly because of these times that unions are needed to prevent workplace abuse.

I used to work in a non-union office and labor laws did not seem to exist unless they got caught.

I agree with Connie that there needs to be a balance between management and unions. Without unions, we will go back to work conditions like those existing at the beginning of the 20th century: 60 hour (or longer) work weeks, no sick time or benefits and the conditions that led to the Triangle Shirt Factory fire and resulting deaths.

If the folks in this country don’t begin to accept the concept of agreeing to disagree and trying to find more middle ground, then indeed we are in for even difficult times as we will no longer be a democracy but a plutocracy.

13. Denise Gray says:

Because I did a lot of mail marketing for my Maid Service, I learned enought about bulk mail that I did a lot of mailing for other people/businesses/politions. As a result, I became friendly with the Post Masters in the local area and was on a number of consumer committees for the Postal Service. Some of their rules were archaic. The Post Master General was not allowed, by Congress, to close some of the small Post Office branches. Fortunately, that has changed. When the Postal Service was made a seperate entity, Congress never funded their pension plan. They just assumed the the Postal Service could make up the long time pensions of these federal employees at the price of stamps. As a result, the Postal Service has never been able to catch up. Now with the changing world, they are in a much more difficult postion. Other rules, like for their sub-contracted rural carriers, requre that they contract out services to the cheapest bidder. At one post office, the cheapest bidder was unable to read. You can imagine the problems the poor Post Master was forced to deal with for the entire contract. So yes, the Postal Service needs to start dealing with their issues, but many of the problems came from Congress and their arbitrary rules.

14. Steve Hunter says:

Marty says unions made this country what it is today. I guess he means a country where jobs are shiped overseas becaue employers can’t afford to do business with union workers, where our car manufacturing business has disappeared due to poor quality at high prices, and etc.

15. Michele says:

I have a friend who just applied to work at the post office. She told me they had 10 positions to fill. They got hundreds of apps. She was picked as 1 of the 10. After a background check, drug screen,etc. she was looking forward to working there. She just found out that if they hire her she will be considered a “temp” among many “temps” that already work there. Apparently every 6 months you get “let go” then rehired as a “temp” again. You will never actually be a full time employee with any benefits regardless of how many hours you work. I’m surprised that the government would hire people this way.
    Then I think… maybe I’m not so surprised.

Unions> Businesses should remember that without it’s employees it would not exist and people should understand that doing a poor job will get you fired. Each one needs the other to survive. There is just too much “me” mentality these days.

To Steve: It is not unions that outsource work overseas, but their corporate employers.

Michele: Your last paragraph is so correct and unless our young folk learn this lesson, they will be the first generation to have less than their parents.

Denise: Thank you for the information. This is not the first instance of governments (state and local included) that pass mandates without proper funding, especially as regards educational requirements.

17. Duane says:

I was in a union most of my working life. I am a retired union member. I think there is a need for the unions as others have said. That said, I think the unions have gotten way out of line when it comes to defending members that will not work and have intention to work. One of the men at the plant I worked in was fired 40 some times and the union got his job back every time. He did not deserve a job but the union had no choice but to defend him. He payed his dues so the union had to defend him “to the best of their ability” or they could be sued for lack of representation. This kind of thing is what gives unions such a bad rap. They can not control their own people. I think that is where the problem lines even more then the contracts they negotiate. Times change, the unions need to change with them or they will fail along with the companies they work with.

18. Donna Huffer says:

I reread your post twice and no where did I see the word UNION. You are right on about post offices. I like real small post offices like Bouse when in Quartzsite. They are more friendly. I went to one in Maine once & went to show him my driver’s license and he said “Who the H… else would be asking for this?” Got a chuckle out of that one.

19. Roger says:

Not sure how the topic of bad customer service at the Post Office became a discussion about unions.

I agree with Nick that many of those who work the counter seem to have no idea what good customer service is. While luckily I don’t have to interact with the counter people too often, I have had a case where the “Flat Rate” envilope wasn’t an acceptable package according to the personal opinion of one counter clerk so I was forced to pay an extra $5 postage before he would accept the package. After contacting the Postmaster I was told that I was right and the clerk was wrong and that they have had problems with that clerk for a long time.

Now I have to wonder why a company has to keep an employee on payroll when they have been identified as giving problems and wrong information to customers.

Maybe Marty can answer why.

20. Doug says:

I actually think that many of the postal employees are polite and helpful. Many are overworked. The Port Office has cut enough staff that the remaining employees can’t keep up with the people who come to the counter. I have found that being polite and friendly goes a long way. The biggest problem with the Post Office in my opinion is all the rules that they must follow. Nick discussed some of the examples of this. I had an occasion to mail several CDs in identical mailers over a period of days. I was charged three different prices for the same thing. It was because they couldn’t figure out the rules. Is it non-standard in size? Is it flexible or stiff? Does it qualify for a media rate? Etc. Anyway, simpler rules would help a lot.

21. Fred Hammer says:

Donna is correct. Bad Nick doesn’t mention unions, but he does mention “deadwood …, and the rest of their lazy, rude, incompetent employees…”

Marty then jumped in to clarify who they are.

22. Nick, I totally agree with everything you said about the USPS. We are blessed to have a wonderful post office near us that does take care of its customers, but it is the exception to the rule. It is Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730. They have instituted changes that have streamlined the process, and the line moves rapidly. They have a man who does nothing but go from person to person in the line to find out what they need, and to be sure they are prepared and ready when they get to the window. They have installed two self service mailing machines that enable you to bypass the line and process your mail yourself (priority mail, first class mail, buy stamps, etc.). I wish all USPS offices would do what they have done there.

23. Roger says:

Nick
    You might try contacting the Postmaster at the offices that seem to have problems with their clerks.
    Not sure if there is anything that can be done but for the cost of a letter I got some personal satisfaction in knowing I was right and the counter guy was wrong. It also meant that next time I have a similar problem I would be inclined to ask to speak with the Postmaster.

24. Tom Westerfield says:

What’s the message with the Federal Express and UPS boxes in front of every post office? A look into the future maybe………Tom

25. Arley Running says:

Fred Hammer, Your last post nailed it!

26. Dave B. says:

I have been on both sides of the Postal Service. I worked as a clerk for many years and was represented by the union. I worked for many years in management and tried to work with the union on issues.

The union must represent everyone even the bad employees. As management I tried to write up an employee who was late everyday and because they were a minority I was taken out of my job so she no longer reported to me and within two years the same employee was promoted to management.

As far a the clerk in the post office at the windows there is little or no training and its all based on a huge manual and how it is interpreted by the few trainers they have. The rules have changed so often it is hard to keep up with what is going on.

The Post Office is practically begging the employees to retire and offered them extra money to do it. But very few took the retirement. They are staying because they think the offer is going to get better. At some point the union is going to have to surrender and watch their members be sent to jobs within 100 miles of where they live. Don’t we feel bad for them.

If this were all under private industry at least half of the craft employees and half of managerment would be out on the street.

As for the teachers in Wisconsin they have been on the gravy train for way to many years. As a postal worker I had to pay into my pension and part of my health benefits. Boo Hoo lets all cry for the teachers.

27. Duane says:

To all that say Nick didn’t mention unions, you need to reread his post, quote “The postmaster in our old hometown was one of my closest friends, and I knew firsthand the problems he had, dealing with spoiled employees who didn’t want to do a lick of work, and were secure in the knowledge that their strong union would back up their grievances if he so much as talked sternly to them.” right from the blog.

28. Glen says:

I am retired and was a member of the union whose President is now in jail for fraud and other crimes against the members of the union. I lost most of my 401 because of this crook. That said, I agree that unions have become too strong and GREEDY. The retirements cannot be sustained without raising taxes. All retirements should be employee participation. The Post Office has gotten out of hand with poor and sometimes nasty service.

Dave: Before you put down teachers, please try doing it for a couple of weeks. Nowhere is it as easy as many thing. Try doing lesson plans and grading papers during the school day – impossible. So there are many out of school hours spent by most teachers doing what needs to do just to stay current. Did you have to do that when you were a post office employee?

We need good teachers. Why? Because the students they teach are those who are going to support you in your old age.

30. Palmsrv says:

I can never understand why the Post Office is crying about not having enough funds, can afford to sponsor the US Olympic Cycling Team at a cost of millions a year.

31. Bill Daines says:

I’m guilty, I opt for email billing and send very little thru the postal system. Last fall while hosting in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore My Credit Union finally merged with a larger one and they mailed a new debit card to my SW Mi. address, but,,I had not been home for a month. The bad part, the Credit Union cancelled my old card and I had no cash. I learned of the General Delivery by stopping at the Grand Marais Mi. Post Office. I had my card in just over 24 hours, they even called me to say it had arrived. I have great service too at home but learned that if I have the mail held for two weeks, don’t expect them to give it to me after one week and then continue to hold it for the next week. When it gets to be less user friendly do they not know what we think of the service? I know they have problems, But, reality, stamps are increasing again, better buy more forever stamps now!
    I was a member of our Law Enforcement union for 31 years, so I’ll not get on that but to say I saw good and then bad too!
    Nick, again another good one, thanks, Bill

32. Fred Hammer says:

Yep, Duane, you are correct. I missed it; but then again, the one union to which Bad Nick referred is generally the one that comes to mind when poor service is discussed.

Abuse of overtime, obscene pay for unskilled or low-skilled labor, slow-downs, “voluntary” lay-offs, unwarranted (99 months!) unemployment benefits, and the like are within the realm of those many other unions who have made a science of Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. And yes, the teachers unions have their share, but most are dedicated individuals who have delayed their earnings by a minimum of four years or more, and who work many hours on weekends planning classes and correcting papers, and must return to college often in order to maintain their teaching certificates. And many of them do contribute to their own retirements. Wisconsin teachers and public employees should do the same.

33. Lu Tillotson says:

We had an incident with the post office here in Palmdale, FL just yesterday morning. We’d ordered several items from Amazon, and not knowing if our shipments would arrive via USPS or UPS/Fedex, we provided both the street and PO box address, with the name of our campground as part of the address. Palmdale is so small, there is no street delivery. One of the vendors shipped USPS using the street address. Upon tracking the pkg, we saw it came in, was refused, and went back out again. We spoke to the postmistress at the post office yesterday, to be told it was refused because the address was invalid. We asked why she couldn’t put it in w/the CG’s mail and were told that’s not possible because it didn’t have their PO box # on it. Then we asked why she didn’t check w/the CG folks, who pick up their mail daily and she asked if we were aware of how many people check in and out of the CG….We got her name and sent off an email using the contact info on the USPS site. Imagine our surprise when we got a call this morning from the Livingston, TX post office (our email was routed to our mailing address.) When I explained what had happened, she apologized and said there should have been an effort made to get us the package. Is it no wonder they are losing money when it’s costing them to ship the package back? Why couldn’t the local person use some initiative?

34. Dave B. says:

Dale, I have nothing against the Wisconsin teachers. My point is that it is time for them to pay part of their health ins. & retirement plans. Just like most of the rest of the working people, they need to pay their part. I don’t argue that they do work at home, etc., but so do a lot of people. It’s time they join the recession too.

Dave – Thanks for your response. I do not have enough knowledge to comment on benefits for Wisconsin teachers but I do know that in NYS teachers have always contributed to their health care and have contributed to their pensions since the 1980s. (In my husband’s case, we contributed 20% of the health care costs and did so since the early 1970s.)

36. Cindy -- Wyoming says:

I’m on the road eight months each year thus deal with many different post offices. As one person said, the tiny ones (which probably will be eliminated)have the best service and nicest counter people. I look forward to visiting the Ehrenberg, AZ PO when in Quartzsite as the Postmistress is a wonderful lady. My favorite is Thousand Palms, CA where the two guys waiting on people keep everyone in stitches but still offer great service. Of course, there are many of “the others”.

Let’s talk unions — like everything in our country, the pendulum ends up swinging too far in the other direction. The unions were necessary but should have stopped pushing and demanding when both sides started reaping benefits. They didn’t thus manufacturers went to other countries who make things cheaper with sweatshop help. This country has few US manufactuers left and our middle class is disappearing. Or course, this is not ALL the fault of unions but they sure contributed more than their share. Hopefully this is a lesson both sides will start to learn in the states that are trying to eliminate public employee unions. Everybody back up and find a way to work together — nobody gets what they want. That is what the job of unions is — do the best you can for your folks but don’t be stupid enough to lose everything.

37. Rob Fox says:

Oh dear, did I not warn of distraction in earlier posts.

This is how they win; get you fighting amongst yourselves while they get away with their ill gotten gains.

Come on people, stop bickering and fight back!

Chase the Bankers and the men of Capital who have no allegiance to nation, only money.

38. Duane says:

Lets look at other reasons for companys to leave this country. The goverment cost of doing business. OSHA, workmens comp, unemployment compensation, environmental regulations, the list goes on. Yes, it is true that unions have added to the price of doing business in the USA, the goverment keeps adding more. Case in point, the light bulb law. The goverment is forceing the new bulb on all of us. Think about the cost to offices and plants that have hundreds of bulbs, is this really a good idea. Do you really think that Mexico and China are going to impose these laws on their companies? Of coarse not!! So,lets look at all the reasons that we are losing our manufactureing base, not just blame the unions.

I sold my house and moved into a campground for a few months before retiring and hitting the road as a fulltimer. When I moved to the campgroud I had my address changed to the campgrounds so I could receive my mail where I was staying. I competed all required paper work to have my mailing address changed and forwarded to a new address when I left the campground. I was failed to get my mail and contacted the PO and the supervisor who told me that they refused to forward my mail because their computer would not sort my mail from others receiving their mail at the campgrounds address. I asked if the campground sorted my mail out and returned it to the delivery PO worker could they not forward my mail to the new address I had submitted but he said NO they could not do that. He told me that it was my responsibility to notify everyone that i would receive mail from of my new address. He treated me as a trouble maker because I tried to suggest that the PO should be the one to forward my mail since I had followed the guidelines that they established. I would not have had this problem with the smaller PO I used where I lived in a house. They would have forwarded my mail with no problem. I wonder how much mail I lost.

I think that where unions may have a place in private business world that they should have no place within the public sector. The scene in Wisconsin where the governor is trying to make necesary cuts in spending to keep the state from going bankrupt and the unions are trying to prevent the changes are an example of union abusive tactics. The PO also has to deal with unions that keep it from being efficient at taxpayers expense.

41. T & R Martin says:

Way to go Max C. With all the frustrations from the P.O. It was good to have a little chuckle—Re: Waiting in line :-(

42. bucky says:

I agree with all of the people who say that it is time to start makeing public employees contribute more for some of the outstanding benefits they get, just like the people who don’t work in goverment. I am not a fan of Unions, living in Michigan, I have always thought they had to much influence on the auto industry, and our local politicians. Their bennefits far exceeded non union people,who are often more educated employees..

43. Rob Fox says:

I find it difficult to see how things can get better here when so many important issues are very poorly reported. The idea that public employees don’t contribute is just one of the many untruths peddled by a very lazy media.

If you understand the facts you will find that they contribute 100% to their retirement funds. It’s what is known at “deferred” wages. This blog explains it fully.

You can argue that their overall package is too much if you must but as I have said before …… it’s all a smoke screen to get the working man to argue amongst themselves and let the real villains get away scot free.

44. Paul Stough says:

Nick,
    I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a seminar at your rally on the USPS. I know they provide people for public speaking engagements. Another thought is maybe try and arrange a tour of a post office in conjunction with your rally.

Might be to late for this rally, but maybe next time.

Paul Stough

45. Paul Stough says:

Here is a link to an article in the Des Moines Register(Iowa) about the USPS. http://www.desmoinesregister.c.....1102270331

Paul

46. Paul Stough says:

Here is a little more information of the USPS for those that may be interested. Here is a quote from David Williams who is from the Office of Inspector General of the USPS as part of testimony before a Congressional sub-committee on recent reports they have released confirming the massive over funding of USPS pension and retiree health care benefit obligations.

“Burdensome and flawed benefit payments have contributed to almost 90 percent of the $20 billion loss in the past four years. This has raised the cost of the infrastructure, postage rates, and forced the Postal Service to incur debt. My office has produced a series of reports highlighting the exaggerated estimates, enormous ever charges, and excessive prefunding levels that plague the retiree pension and health care systems. To continue contributing to funds that now appear to exceed 100 percent funding levels is even more egregious when compared against bench marks in the public and private sector and OPM()Office of Personnel Management) levels.”

This contrived overpayment, in my opinion, was done on purpose to get the average American, who otherwise supports the USPS, to turn against it.

My position has always been, if the USPS is nolonger needed, just end it, instead of having those who hate all government, and who have power over the USPS, try and destroy from within.

Paul Stough