Opponents to capital punishment have come up with a new way to try and keep states from carrying out legally ordered executions. They have filed lawsuits against several states, including California, Arizona, and Oklahoma, claiming that the drug used in lethal injections was illegally obtained.

Bowing to pressure from the do gooders, Lake Forest, Illinois-based Hospira Inc., the only American manufacturer of sodium thiopental, stopped producing the drug a while back, and the lawsuits claim that states are illegally obtaining their supply of the drug from foreign countries, and that the foreign versions of the drug have not been proven to be “safe.”

So we’re not supposed to use a drug we can’t prove is “safe” to execute somebody whom a jury, a judge, and a long line of appellate courts have determined is too dangerous to be allowed to live.

Huh? How safe does a drug have to be, that is going to be used in an execution?

Of course, this is just nonsense, another ploy by which court appointed attorneys with no conscience can make big bucks trying to keep convicted murderers alive, and tying up the courts’ time in the process.

Let’s get real, folks. The drug is simply a means to an end, that end being taking the life of somebody whom society has determined has committed crimes for which they must receive the ultimate punishment. A bullet, a noose, or a gas pellet can be manufactured right there in the U.S.A. and will do the same job, and any of them could be called “unsafe.” I’m okay with that. How about you?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Comments on A Means To An End

1. Barry Crocker says:

OK by me.

2. Jim says:

Singapore has caning (maybe not lethal though) and some of the Arab countries use stoning.

Canes and stones are available in the USA and so far aren’t illegal. Lets try those if a rope, bullet or pill isn’t good enough.

Possibly the lawyers need a dose of the cane too.

3. Ken H says:

Interesting dodge by the lawyers. Unsafe? My word!!
    The comment about the caning is funny. I spen some time in Singapore, and while there a man was arrested for theft with hurt. He was convicted of stealing a lady’s purse and hitting her in the face. (he got 2 dollars). His sentence was 9 strokes of the cane. I was laughing about it to my driver and he said it is not funny. Seems his brother is a cop and has witnessed the caning. Says at the first stroke, they pass out. Then a Dr. revives them and they hit him again. This goes on until done, and the miscreant is carried out on a stretcher. He said the hoodlums swagger in and cry like a baby all during the time they are getting their a$$ whipped. Seldom do they get whipped again.
    Maybe we could stop worrying about a criminal’s “rights” and treat them like a criminal? An unsafe drug? How safe is cocaine, meth or heroin? They do that themselves and no attorney ever files suit declaring those drugs unsafe.

4. Steve says:

I come down on the side of the do-gooders on this one. Not because I believe real evil-doers don’t deserve to die, but because of our broken judicial system. It DOES cost US more to jump through all the legal hoops to “legally” kill someone than to keep them alive in our penal system.
    Ken H, those rights are YOUR rights. Hard won by the blood of patriots. Don’t be so quick to take them away.
    Taking the life of another human is barbaric.

5. I don’t have a problem treating criminals like criminals. As far as capital punishment goes the guillotine seems highly effective to me. The problem with the death penalty (which I’m in favor of) is the number of truly innocent people who are convicted in this country every year. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.or.....th-penalty

At the same time you have criminals going free when everyone knows they’re guilty but there was some technicality causing them to be released.

I don’t know what the solution is. Maybe we need a different standard for capital crimes? Once a crime has been committed the police and prosecutors are generally looking for a conviction and the most likely person is in jeopardy of a trip through our court system. It’s better than 99% of the rest of the world but it still isn’t as good as it can be.

Mac: I agree with you.

Looking at the results of the Innocence Project, many innocent people have been incarcerated with prosecutorial misconduct being behind many of these convictions.

While I agree with the death penalty, until we are able to somehow improve the system, I think it is ultimately cheaper to just give life without parole. Our scientific methodology is getting better and then we can turn with more confidence towards re-institution of the death penalty knowing that the likelihood of killing an innocent person is not there.

As to the concept of humanely killing our killers, that does not concern me; after all, they were not concerned when they killed.

7. Orville Hazelton says:

Can we all agree that justice is the will of our people? Okay. . . how about equality. Hmmm. . . equal treatment sounds good too now, doesn’t it? I believe I’ve heard our liberal friends cry out for “equality” all my life. I’ll even adapt the mantra of equality along with my left wing neighbors. Okay. . . if idiot number one scalps good ‘ole Nick here and leaves him to die (heaven forbid!), equality under the law should be to scalp the perpetrator and leave him/her (see. . . I’m all for gender equality as well) to die just like the one murdered did. Shucks, all this is sounding a bit like a reality show for TV. Maybe I should call the networks and see what they have to say. Ain’t life grand? Hang in there friends, not one of us is getting out of this alive. . . as always, oRV

8. Dee Walter says:

I like the cane idea! Maybe if criminals KNOW what they’re getting, they’d think twice about doing wrong. I also would like to see criminals caught in the deed, there would be NO trial. Punishment should be immediate, whatever it would be. Death for death and robbery or any other non murderous acts would be the cane, or something similar. Less people in jail (maybe for drunks and drug users) which would be given rehab. Just think how much much money would be saved.

9. Linda says:

OK by me too. Whatever happened to “accidents” and “killed while attempting to escape” when dealing with dangerous criminals? Why don’t judges show some common sense and throw these nuisance suits out. This country has just gotten too “correct” and we need to correct that.

10. Gary says:

Incarcerating some convict for life does not keep him from killing again. Be it another convict or some law-abiding correctional officer doing a thankless job few want. I only speak from 28 years of personal experience working in a maximum security prison in N.Y.

11. Chris says:

One bullet should do the trick or a firing squad. We spend WAY too many tax dollars for free room and board for those on death row or life sentences. Then there’s the lawyer fees for all the appeals. Don’t get me started!!

12. T & R Martin says:

Capital punishment should be administered to the killer in the same manner he/she killed their victim(s). No need to find a humane drug therefore to do the job. I still can’t get that precious little Caylee Anthony (Florida) out of my mind—I would like to see her killer receive capital punishment.

13. Jim says:

If memory serves …. When I was stationed in Delaware in the middle ’50s there was still a whipping post that was usable according to law. I don’t know the last time it was used but bringing that back would be a viable option too.

14. Jim says:

Further …….. Doing some research I found that Delaware had a whipping post in New Castle County (my base) that was last used in 1952. The law in affect then mandated “no more than sixty lashes laid to a bare back.” The Whipping post was abolished in 1972. I say bring it back nationally.