I’ve been criticized in the past for my blog comments on what a waste of time I think professional sports are, and how tired I get of having regular TV programming preempted by ballgames, and unending news coverage of the misdeeds of overpaid, cretin professional athletes.

But compared to all of that, what we’ve been subject to for the last month or so is just nauseating. Is the royal wedding over yet?

Really folks, we have Americans fighting and dying in wars all over the world; fuel prices that are out of sight; an economy that’s in the toilet; corrupt politicians bankrupting our grandchildren’s’ futures; illegal aliens taking over our country, and all we hear about is some spoiled rich kid getting hitched? Give me a break!

I’m sorry, but I really don’t get it. I know a lot of women who are just fascinated with this event. Several are getting up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the wedding, and even more have set their DVRs to record it. A news report yesterday said that small groups of women are renting hotel rooms and having “royal wedding sleepovers” so they can be awake to watch the nuptials with their friends. What’s up with that?

One woman news reporter said the attraction was because every little girl dreams of growing up to be a princess. If Bad Nick said that, you’d all be calling him a male chauvinist pig!

And it’s not just the ladies who seem to have gone gaga over this wedding. One idiot had the images of Prince William and Kate Middleton etched into his teeth. Men and women both are getting tattoos with the wedding date, or other remembrances, so they can honor the royal couple for life. I’m not sure anybody who would do that is actually competent to make a decision like that!

We have Americans who don’t know the name of the Speaker of the House, or even basic knowledge of their own nation, who know every detail of the marriage of somebody half a world away.

As I recall my grade school American history, we had an entire revolution to get rid of the British monarchy. Now we’re fascinated with them. I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.

Now I know why so many people walk around with those blue tooth telephone gizmos stuck in their ears. It’s not because they’re waiting for some important call, I think it’s a device to keep them alive. I bet if you listed in, there’d be a recorded voice reminding them over and over again to “Breath in. Breath out. Breath in. Breath out.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Comments on Royal Nonsense

1. joe says:

Are you staying up late so you can give a good report on it? Announce it, show a pic or two and be done with it. Who really cares???

2. Jim says:

How ironic that a “Get the Kate Middleton look” ad shows up in this blog :) :)

What I find disgusting about this whole bangup is the amount of money and time being spent by our esteemed news media. How can we take these talking heads and their networks seriously anymore?

What a bunch of crap. Am I being too non-PC?

3. Just think what all the money being spent on this wedding could do for people who need medical help. Hell they been together for 8 years so what is new. As for people not knowing anything about thioer representives our kidsa are comming out of school with what used to be a 8th grade education but now it is the same level comming out of high school

4. Fred says:

I agree with you Nick 100%. I guess this just shows us all what’s really important in today’s America. Too bad for us “ol vets” and our way of thinking.

5. Connie Bradih says:

OK, I got up at 4 o’clock and am watching the wedding. Lots of people like pomp and ceremony. It’s a beautiful wedding. I am enjoying watching the whole thing. The cathedral is fabulous.

This is a great economic boon for England and every one involved. There are a huge number of tourists there. There are parties all over the world. This whole thing cost money which went into the economy. It brought money to lots of businesses in every country.

But most important it is a happy occasion. So much of news is awful. Here is a chance to see a happy event and have your soul uplifted.

Come on Nick. Besides where can you see so many hats!!!!!!!!

6. Susan Wilson says:

I’m with Connie on this. We need a little more froth and frivolity around here.

And the hats-! Princess Eugenie, in particular:)

7. Kathe says:

I think Francis makes the most eloquent plea for better education for our young people.

8. Rob Fox says:

As a proud Brit, I feel especially good today. That’s the most ad free tv I’ve seen in over three years.

I must say that I fully agree with Nick though. There appears to be an astonishing lack of attention being paid to the real problems right here in the USA. It’s heartbreaking to see the destruction in the south.

Dear friends, this is just another way to divert your attention from the reality taking place. The wealth of the nation is being spirited away by your nuvo royalty. It is being assisted by the banking, corporate and political classes.

I know I’m always “banging on” about this but it’s truly sad to see the Worlds only true meritocracy fall to the old order.

Come on people, fight back.

9. Dave C. says:

I agree with Rob on this. When the news corps start focusing on a story like this, I immediately wonder why the slight of hand. What is going on they want to draw our attention away from?

10. Dave B. says:

No comment!

11. Barbara says:

I think it is a day where everyone can forget the troubles of the world and just enjoy the day. It has created a lot of jobs not only in the UK, but probably all over the world, if only for the day. A lot of people will never get to see the Royal Palace or any other thing over there so we see it by the media. I have to say it did get a little over the top, but you can turn it off. Of course if you missed it they will be replaying it for the next week. Yuck

12. Bill Daines says:

I got up and walked my Dobie Jazz at 7am then sat with a cup of coffee and caught a replay of the wedding. I thought it was nice. But unless we live there I guess we don’t understand all the hoopala. I heard a million folks were in the area watching. All the people looked so happy. I just wish we americans could have such a gathering and look happy too! We need something special to jump start us. Such as normal folk in Washington.( I’ll fote for you Nick!) All of the unimployed back to work. Our Military all returning home, now! Lastly peace around the world. Bill.

13. Chris says:

So what is happening in Japan? I believe good news overshadowed bad news for a change. We need a happy occasion but I do agree it’s a bit of overkill.

14. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy ol’ bad Nick,
    I’m with you on this one,also. WHO CARES!!!! I DON’T EVEN HAVE TELEVISION ON ACCOUNT OF WHAT IT DOES AND HAS DONE TO THE LIVES OF THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!! Before TV you communicated with each other and had meaningful discussions, about the things which were important and affected our lives… NO MORE !! ITZ WHAT DID THE CELEBRITIES DO YESTERDAY OR WHAT TROUBLE ARE THEY INTO NOW !! I COULD CARE LESS !! WE HAVE OUR MILITARY FIGHTING OTHER PEOPLE’S WARS (AND DYING) AND THEN THE ENEMIES WANT $$$$$$$$$$ FROM US !!!!!! AND THE POLITICIANS GIVE IT!!!

BRING OUR MILITARY HOME , NOW!!! SAFELY!!!

15. Palmsrv says:

We waste more money every four years for the Presidential election they they do every 25 to 30 for a Royal Wedding.

16. Dee Walter says:

I’m with you Nick, that’s one good reason we save a bunch of movies to watch when TV has nothing at all on.

17. Elaine & Mike says:

Maybe it is a chick thing. People need something good to watch once in awhile. It was a nice break from everything bad going on in the world. We were in England when his parents were married,even back then it was a fun event.Now history is repeating a good thing with Prince William and Kate. We wish them the best.

18. bucky says:

I agree with you and Rob Fox, Nick.. Our media drowns us with nonsense, while our country, and the world are going down the tubes………..

19. T & R Martin says:

Agreed Nick, but it was also a chance to watch some history. What a thrill to see brothers Wills & Harry so happy. Even enjoyed the smile on the Queen’s face. Wish Dianne could have seen her sons. They are a tribute to their country. Fergie’s girls could have used some input on those hats; I have some vases like that. Harry might take a look at Kate’s sister—she is pretty cute. Handling the behavior of all the horses was incredible & done so effortlessly. All told it was a beautiful wedding & nobody can do it better than the Brits. The music playing “God Save the Queen” was tearjerking. Enjoyed it all very much—now to get back to the wars, deaths & destruction. Congratulations & good health & happiness to the new Duke & Duchess of Cambridge.

20. Murphy Horner says:

I think the ceremony is winding down. Kate and William are walking back up the aisle and the Queen just put the medals on C3P0 and R2D2.

21. Rob Nixon says:

I was happy to see something on TV other than murder, mayhem and idiot politicians.

22. Carol says:

I watched the whole thing with great enjoyment. Lovely to see the happy event and masses of people all wishing good things for one another with no conflict. There will always be tragedies in the world and untold numbers of people living through violence and suffering. Enjoying this wedding event did nothing to diminish my concern for the unfortunate, nor my concern for the troubling issues in this nation. Denying myself the delight of the wedding and all the tradition, charm and silliness that went with it would not make me a better human being. In fact, the central characters in this fairy tale nuptial are some serious organizers of charitable works and their increased popularity will undoubtedly bring some much needed attention to suffering areas. Grouch and gripe if you care to, but this was a guilt-free viewing event for me!

23. Definitely a unique thing for England, but money spent is just a waste. Especially with the state of the economy worldwide.

Ole william has a good bald spot, almost good as nicks