On a television news broadcast out of Phoenix a few days ago, an immigration activist was complaining about the fact that illegal aliens (oh, I’m sorry, undocumented immigrants) who are being held in federal custody are called detainees. Apparently, that term has a negative connotation and is demeaning. According to her, illegal aliens should be called “clients” not “detainees.’

Give me a break! How about we call them what they really are – criminal trespassers?

My dictionary defines the word “client” as:

1: one that is under the protection of another

2a: a person who engages the professional advice or services of another <a lawyer’s clients> b: customer <hotel clients> c : a person served by or utilizing the services of a social agency <a welfare client> d : a computer in a network that uses the services (as access to files or shared peripherals) provided by a server

Aren’t we, American citizens, the “clients” of the Border Patrol? As I understand their mission, it is to protect our borders, not to “serve” criminals.

Are you as sick of this politically correct nonsense as I am? It reminds me of when they started calling convicts in the prison system “inmates” because the old term was demeaning to them. Lord knows, we can’t call the scum of the earth anything that would hurt their feelings!

When I joined the Army, our drill sergeants called us maggots, shitheads, and a whole lot of other derogatory words. I don’t remember any of them hurting my feelings. What I do remember is that they put the fear of God into me. That’s right, those guys scared the hell out of me!

Of course, today that would be called verbal abuse, and I’m sure today’s drill instructors have toned it down a lot. But I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Maybe we need to go in the other direction. Maybe if we scared the hell out of criminals, be they illegal aliens or convicts, at least a few of them might decide to avoid getting into trouble again, whether that trouble involve crossing our borders illegally, or committing crimes here in this country. What could it hurt?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Comments on What’s In A Name?

1. Gary says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Nick. I too am getting tired of how we have to sugar coat everything so as to not hurt somebody’s feelings. Here are a couple of examples from my own personal life. Working in corrections over the years we had to make a few changesmasmwell. When I started they gave us a black plastic baton (sounds better in court than a stick) which they soon changed to a wooden baton. Reason being the convicts found the black baton intimidating. They still worked the same. In my later years the officers were buying black frisking gloves. The state said they would buy all officers frisking gloves which were a Navy blue. Why, you guessed it black gloves were intimidating to the convicts.
    Makes you wonder what they will change next.

2. Tim Lawler says:

right on bad nlck!

3. Ken H says:

Instead of illegal aliens or undocumented immigrants, why not call them GONE? Instead of wondering if we are violating their “rights”, just take ’em to the border and put them across. We spend way too much of the Border Patrol, courts, etc. on these criminals. Just send them back, Mexico can worry about their rights. Illegal aliens should have no rights, except the right to go home.

4. Janna says:

Amen to your’s and the comments!!!

5. Barbara says:

Poor people they are being detained mmmmm three meals a day, tv, probably a gym and library. I am sure they don’t care if they have all these things for free, not free, the U.S. people are paying for all this.

6. Joe Vagott says:

We used to have immigration laws. I wonder whatever happened to the laws? Oh how I miss the America I grew up in.

7. Don Damkaer says:

If we do not stop this political correctness our grandchildren and beyond will not inherit a country anywhere close to the one we grew up in. The vast majority of criminals in our jails are living better than they have ever lived before. Of course at the expense of the hardworking half of the country. We should give Mexico $20 a day per “convict” and let Mexico keep them in their jails. A good deal for both countries!

8. Dee Walter says:

What can we do? I’m with you, so much went WRONG when the “political correctness” started. Let’s get America back, any ideas on what we can do? (Voting isn’t working)

9. Steve says:

Maybe we should blame our parents for raising us to be compassionate and considerate of our fellow humans. Too much?

10. Connie Bradih says:

Agree with you, Nick. Political correctness is for the birds. Tired of it all. Time to call a spade, a spade. Oh my, is someone offended? TOO BAD!!!!!!! If the word is something you don’t like, don’t use it. But don’t tell me what words I can use or not use. Freedom means I can use the words I want. If you don’t like my words, don’t be around me. If I don’t like the words you use, I don’t stay around you. It’s called being ourselves and being free to be ourselves!!!!!! What a novel idea!!!!!

11. Jesse Haman says:

Gee Connie, I guess you won’t mind me calling you a bigoted effing idiot.

12. It seams that the more education people get the more stupid they become when eorking?? for the government

13. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy ol’ bad nick,
    Where are you people from?? We haven’t had ANY FREEDOM since WWII
    when we were told to SAVE THE WORLD and all of our tax money went overseas to help ‘the downtrodden’ rebuild their countries that they caused to be blown to bits by STARTING THE DAMNED WAR !!!!
    Any foreigner that wants to can come here, legally or not and get the same rights as we have lost our sons & daughters fighting for.
    WHY!!!!! WHY!!!! WHY !!!

While I believe that political correctness has gone too far, and those who break the law should be punished, I find it difficult to deal with those who believe everyone else has to believe the way they do and live the life they believe in.

We fought WWII to preserve our freedom and not to save the world. I believe that entitlements are exactly that – something that is paid only to the people who paid into the system – their money is something they are entitled to.

Today conservatives are trying to tell everyone how to live their lives. I believe conservatism is for small government – a government that does not pass rules telling people how to behave. Why then are the conservatives fighting so hard to tell everyone else to live just they way they do? To enforce these new laws conservatives are pushing for would increase government.

So – here’s another thought of the Bad Nick’s title: What’s in a Name? It is very important to be educated in both history and the world around you. Right now this country is repeating a period of history that occurred a century ago which our parents fought very hard to see amended to include fair work rules, lives, etc. Stay uneducated and the big corporations will keep controlling us and making more and more money at our expense.

15. Rita S. says:

What’s in a name? How about what’s NOT in a name? Like respect? Or dignity? Or honor? I was born in the US but my parents came here from Mexico and many of my family members are still there. To call people detainee is just like calling them spic or wetback to our people. Do you still call black people niggers? Or Native Americans redskins or injuns? No matter how we got here we deserve basic human respect and dignity. Something you people will never understand for you have none for yourself!

16. Rita S. says:

Let me add that you people stole this country from the Indians and from Mexico. YOU are the invaders! Why don’t you all go back to Europe! WE deserve the riches of this land you took from us just as much as anybody does.

17. Dave B. says:

Rita S. I hate to say it, but you make a valid point. We just hate to admit it.

18. Jodie S. says:

I have often thought that just plain good manners would solve a lot of problems in this world.

19. LeRoy Willis says:

In my former life as a working person, we had names for two different ponds. One was a Detention pond and the other was a Retention pond. A retention pond was one we wanted water to remain in and the detention pond was one that the water was only to slow down in long enough for the dirt to settle out prior ro entering the river. I believe a detainee is one that should only be held long enough for the big white bus to get there and return them across the border.

20. Carol says:

I just don’t understand what is derogatory about the word “Detainee”. Why is that considered a slur? It has no ethnic connotation, no racist overtone. It is merely a description of a temporary state of affairs while a permanent status is being determined. I have been technically “detained” in an airport while the contents of my luggage was being examined. I have been detained at Border crossings while my motor home was given an inspection. I had no issues that required greater scrutiny, so my period of detention was very brief. If I had neglected to follow the rules, I would have been detained longer, I am sure. I am sorry that there are families whose lives are so desperate that they must risk the danger of entering another country to try and better their situation, but since the good guys and the bad guys are impossible to tell apart, most times … everyone has to be able to cough up the proper documents when they want to cross national borders. If you don’t follow the rules, you have to be DETAINED. I’m just sayin’ …..

21. T & R Martin says:

Interesting, illegal “Detainees” should be called “Clients” ?!! I believe Johnnie Cochran referred to O.J. Simpson as his CLIENT during the O.J. trial, but I think O.J. was a murderer!

22. Bucky says:

I agree with you Nick, as to Rita S, saying we stole the land from them, how does she think the Mexicans got here, they were not born here either. Only the native Americans have the right to say that.

23. Madjhn says:

Well Rita S., perhaps you had better return to high school and learn a few historical facts…… recorded history prior to the twentieth century would teach you that those were times of conquest, including the Spanish conquest of most of Latin America and the later conquest of North American lands by the Mexicans, followed by the conquest of what is now CA, AZ, NM and part of TX by the US. Sorry hon, we won. You get out!!

24. Connie Bradih says:

Dear Jesse,
    How did I become “a bigoted effing idiot?” the only thing I can see is you are referring to me saying, “Time to call a spade, a spade.”

The following is a definition:

To “call a spade a spade” is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
    “ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any “beating about the bush”.

To all those who say we stole this country from some one else (Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, etc). While the Indians (misnamed) were probably the earliest known Homo sapiens in the Americas, they came across the land bridge from Asia. They were tribes looking for a new world for themselves. It has been the same through human history as peoples moved out from where they were and either colonized new lands where they didn’t find any one or conquered the people already there. No one OWNS this land really. It just happens to belong to who ever is the strongest and wins and who is presently occupying the land. While the conquering of the Indians is a sad story, it’s always a sad story when one people conquer another. There is a lot of killing, raping and pillaging. No one ever seems to take over and is nice in the process. I don’t see that this land belongs to the Indians or even us. At this point in time it’s us but if some one else comes in and conquers us, it will be their land then. That’s how history has worked so far and I don’t see humans changing their pattern any time soon.