I think President Obama could be setting a bad precedent with his statement last week that Israel return to its pre-1967 borders, and return lands taken in the Six Day War in 1967 to Palestinian control. Those lands include the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Golan Heights, and Sinai Peninsula.

“We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states," Obama said in a speech last week.

Some people see this as further proof that the President’s Mideast policy is taking us away from long established American positions, and of course, the GOP is jumping all over the issue. Then again, if any Democrat found a cure for cancer, the Republicans would decry it as a scheme to put millions of doctors out of business. On the other hand, if a Republican found a way to provide free gas to every American for life, the Democrats would know it was all part of a plot to stick it to the little guy and make big businessmen richer. Sure, the fuel is free, but now everybody will drive more, and those rich guys will make a fortune building more roads!

I don’t listen to all of that political claptrap, because nobody in office ever cares about me and you anyway. They’re too busy feathering their own nests. And to be honest, I really don’t care all that much about Israel, Palestine, or anyplace else in the Mideast, except for the fact that American lives are being squandered over there, in an endless series of wars. People in that giant sandbox have been killing each other since the beginning of mankind, and they’ll continue to do so long after you and I have turned back to dust.

No, what I am afraid of is the precedent that Obama may be setting. How long will it be before the various Indian tribes demand that we pull our borders back to the days before we stole their land from them? Where will we end up? East of the Mississippi River? East of the Alleghany Mountains? Back on the beach where the Mayflower landed?

Assuming that the Indians realize they have a good thing going, and want to keep us here so we can continue going to their casinos, will England demand that we return land that was controlled by the Crown in pre-Revolutionary days? Scary, isn’t it?

Worse yet, will one of my ex-wives demand we go back to pre-divorce days, and make Miss Terry give me back? No… I’m pretty sure we’re okay on that one. :) But I still don’t like the idea.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments on Setting A Bad Precedent

1. Francis Callahan says:

What do you expect obama is a rag head at heart so he will side with the arabs . He needs to stay home stay out of the other countries business and keep his mouth shut

2. Sandy Stoltz says:

Francis, where oh where does all this BITTERNESS AND HATRED come from???? Some times I wish you would just keep your hateful comments to yourself rather than poluting the internet. This has nothing to do with with politics, but treating humans with respect.

3. How about Mexico Nick?

I bet they’d like to have TX, AZ and NM back, although I imagine they’d make us to keep CA.

4. Dennis M says:

Well Sandy, I do know where Francis’ hatred comes from and I find it as disgusting as you do. Crawl back in your hole Francis!

And BTW Nick, what President Obama said is exactly what has been established American policy for years – just no one else had the attachments to say it in public. Do some research on the issue.

5. Lloyd J. says:

Francis,I appreciate your non-PC plain talk and respect your right to say it.We shouldn’t label viewpoints different from ours as Bitterness and Hatred. All of us do not love our enemies.

We have family in Israel and most Israelis want a 2 country peace agreement. The border issue addressed by Pres. Obama is the same one posed by Pres. Clinton and Pres. Bush. The main issue is swapping land to provide for Israel’s safety. (They are daily bombarded by missiles from Palestinian territories.)

Depending on one’s viewpoint, the world is totally interconnected now due to commerce and natural resources, so whether we like or not what happens elsewhere in the world affects us one way or another (even if we are not involved in whatever the situation may be).

Francis: I find your language to be hateful, disrespectful and prejudicial. And Lloyd, while I agree that Francis has every right to feel the way he does, he can show his feelings in a more respectful fashion so that his opinions can be taken seriously.

7. Tcloud says:

Hay Mac McClellan (make us to keep CA) They already own it!!!

8. Rex says:

I agree with Francis. Political correctness is a bunch of horse dung. It is time we brought our troops home from around the world and minded our own business. The Arabs and the Jews have been fighting for centuries and will continue to do so until one side completely eliminates the other. I hope the Jews win and I am all for helping them get the technology to win. The Arabs want to kill us because we are not Muslims and I do not understand why the bleeding heart liberals can not understand this premise.

9. Dave Anderson says:

The last Israeli outburst was clearly an attempt to publicly interfere in the internal affairs of the United States. When they start furnishing the foreign aid, tanks and missiles to us, let them have their say. Until then, it’s time to leave the middle easterners to their own devices.

About the only time a problem was solved by throwing money at it was the Marshall Plan. I don’t understand why we can’t learn that.

10. Jerry Criswell says:

What nobody will state out loud in public is that we are NOT at war with Iraq and Afganistan, we are in a holy war with the militant muslim religion and right now that war happens to be in those two countries. It will eventually move elsewhere.

I did enjoy it when the Isreali Prime Minister basically told Obama to go climb a rope.

JC

11. Paul Stough says:

If we had only listened to President Carter in the mid seventies when he wanted to put the USA on the path of energy independence, we wouldnt have had 9-11, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, all the dead and wounded military personnel, and we would have saved trillions of dollars of government spending.

“And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free.
    They would not listen; they’re not listening still.
    Perhaps they never will.”-Vincent by Don McLean

Paul

12. Chris says:

Congrats Bad Nick! You rialed them up!

13. Madjhn says:

Listened to Jimmy Carter?! That is hilarious……

14. Robert says:

Well said Paul. Your vision is clear and you speak truth.

15. Darwin S. says:

You got it right, Jerry. Political commentators should have the “attachments’ to plainly say over and over that Allah and other gods are imaginary beings. I ain’t afraid of your god, but I am afraid of what you might do in the name of your god.