Sometimes I am amazed at how much hate and hypocrisy I see among people that I have always considered to be decent human beings. Am I that bad a judge of character?

I have said many times that when it comes to politicians, I am completely nonbiased. Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives, I dislike all of them equally, and trust none of them. But I have no problem with you supporting the party or cause of your choice. In fact, I urge you to do so. Just don’t try to push your opinions down my throat.

I know a lot of people who do not like or trust our current President. I don’t like or trust him! (But again, I don’t like or trust any of them.) However, I am really sick and tired of the plethora of cartoons that show up in my e-mail on a regular basis, portraying President Obama or members of his family as monkeys or apes. That is  disrespectful to the office he holds, and to him as a human being, and it offends me.

If you were to confront any of the people that think it’s funny to send this crap out and call them a racist, they’d be highly offended. But what is that, except a racist act? For the record, I dislike racists even more than I dislike politicians. If you are one of the people who send me stuff like this, be aware that I don’t consider you funny, and I don’t consider you a friend.

This weekend my inbox held a dozen or more nasty e-mails about New York state’s decision to allow gay marriage. One cartoon showed a “bridal shower” in which a gay couple were unwrapping such gifts as an “AIDS Starter Kit” and a negligee with the words “It’s My Night To Be On Top.” Anybody who can find humor in a disease that has killed millions of people worldwide is very sick.

Another e-mail was from a someone who raged at me last year when I wrote a blog that he felt attacked his church, and who wanted me to know that as a devout Christian, I had offended him. His e-mail Saturday included a cartoon of Jesus on the cross, and hanging on the cross next to him was a caricature of a gay man, wearing high heels,  makeup, and a tiara that said “Just Married” on it. Standing under to him was a Roman soldier with a spear in one hand, and a huge penis in the other, and Jesus is saying “Stick him again!” Yeah, that’s a real Christian way to express yourself, isn’t it?

The folks who have to tell me how devout they are always remind me of the guy in the bar who has to tell you what a bad ass he is. I think in both cases that they are trying to convince themselves, more than me. I don’t know about you, but it’s always been my experience that the true Christians of the world don’t have to go out of their way to tell you they are. And they don’t spread hatred and prejudice masked as humor.

I like humor. I like jokes. I’ll bet you money that I know more jokes than you do, and a lot of them are bluer than my eyes. But I don’t like hypocrisy, and I don’t like bigotry. I can’t change who you are, but don’t tell me you are my friend, and then send me offensive trash like this.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Comments on Hateful People

1. Melissa says:

Amen, Nick!!!

2. Joyce Space says:

I don’t always agree with you but this time I think you’re are right on, Nick!

3. Good for you ‘Bad’ Nick! I especially liked the comment about the hypocrisy. How true. There’s not much worse than a holier-than-thou homophobic racist bigot. These are the people who want to ‘Take back our country’. Oh yeah? Over my dead body.

4. George says:

Most people just don’t understand other people who dislike both our wonderful political parties equally. Early on in the conversation, I am usually called a name that one side or the other saw as a talking point on TV or in an email.

5. Fred Hammer says:

Well, J.C., it appears that you can throw mud and cast apersions also. Do you have proof that “holier-than-thou homophobic racist bigot(s)” and “people who want to take back our country” are one and the same? I doubt that you do. I happen to be one of your second group, but not your first. And, I believe there are more of “us” than you would like to think.

6. Sandy Stoltz says:

Thank you, thank you and thank you! You are right on!

Nick, thank you for your blog today. We so agree with you. The truest Christians we have met are those who are tolerant and accepting of all, regardless of religion or beliefs. They treat all people with respect.

We are Jewish (full timers) and we find ourselves surprised that so many Christians, who are in the majority in this country, feel that they are under attack. We have not seen this. Rather, we see many people looking to deny rights to folks who don’t believe the same as they do.

To all, I beg you to learn to “agree to disagree” and learn to trust in your beliefs so that you are not threatened by others who think differently. True faith is that of love, not fear.

8. Jim Walter says:

Your disdain for racist and homophobic cartoons would carry a little more weight if you were a little more general in describing them, rather than providing all the details. It’s almost like you want to make sure we “get them.” Otherwise, I agree with your opinions.

9. Janice says:

Great post!

10. Elaine & Mike says:

Thank You Nick for another great blog. I agree with you 100%

11. AMEN! 100% in agreement! Thanks for having the trust in your beliefs to speak them so eloquently.

12. Tom Sharpe says:

I disagree Jim. If he glosses over things do people really get it?

13. Nick Russell says:

I think that’s the problem Jim. Too many people think in generalities, instead of pulling off the scab and looking at the ugliness underneath.

14. Bill Joyce says:

OK, you win. You get more hateful emails than I do and I will stop complaining about the ones I get. Sheesh, those emails are worse than the “jokes” I heard while working in construction.

15. Linda Sand says:

Right on! And write on, too.

16. Jodie S. says:

I am Jewish and agree with Dale’s comment about being mystified by Christians in this country thinking they are being discriminated against. Here is another perspective on that:

When I was in high school, prayer was still a morning ritual in the public schools. In my particular classroom, the teacher decided that bible readings should be from the Old Testament so as not to offend the few Jewish kids in class. I remember thinking how much easier it would have been for the others if we Jewish kids had just not been there.

17. Bill Daines says:

Bad Nick does it again. I’ve decided to rent a billboard in Traverse City which will say “Vote for Bad Nick for President”! Its always interesting to read comments from your followers. But I agree with the one, We have to learn to agree to disagree. And I’ve always thought the cartoons which degrade an individual shows the mentality of that person who sends it and his or her IQ!
    Just waitin for the next Bad Nick. Bill

18. Tom says:

Honor is everything. Bad Nick is very honorable.

19. Norah says:

20. Susie C. says:

Excellent post. I hope it prompts some apologies from the alleged “friends” who’ve been sending you garbage.

21. Bill says:

Well said. If we presume to call ourselves Christians, we must believe Jesus died for all and not just the ones with whom we feel comfortable. Jesus broke bread with “pubicans and sinners.” We need to do that and share a campfire with some we may “agree to disagree” with. That’s the beauty of RVing. We’re all on common ground and maybe away from our comfort zone.

22. Jim@HiTek says:

Right On, Nick!

I get those horrible racist cartoons from someone who calls herself a ‘Christian’ all the time too. I haven’t had the courage to confront her yet, but you’ve given me the incentive to do so. Thanks.

And I wonder about the MAJORITY that call themselves ‘Christian’ too. Wouldn’t you expect them to be going to church? Turns out, if you see the statistical research done by universities, no more then 25% of Americans are regular church attendees. So where are they learning their basic religious tenets? On the streets, in the gutter, or on the internet?

Oregon has the lowest overall rate of only 12%. Which makes me proud of our state. The faster the human race gets away from religious silliness the better, IMO!

23. Chris says:

You are a writer extraordinaire! You said what I think! Thanks!

24. Pam says:

Well said, Nick. Lately it seems as if the people who constantly talk about being Christian are the least Christlike in their words and actions. I think it was Gandhi who said, “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.”

You should block the email addresses of anyone who sends you this crap. I know it’s probably hard because you are trying to run a business but I think it would be worth it in the end.

Thanks for speaking out on this.

25. Hello Nick…My Hubby found your link, wrote it down and brought it to me saying, “I think you’re ‘gonna like this one!”
    And I do!
    Adding you to my blogroll NOW!Hahaa
    Have a great day!
    hughugs

26. Vickie says:

Great article and does it hit home. We have lost a couple of “friends” because of their racist…yes, it’s racist and not political, emails. It appears to me that people feel they can send anything via email without thinking of whether it would offend someone or not. I call them bullies behind the screen because they wouldn’t do that to your face. I’m often surprised when I receive something racist from someone I thought I knew well. I send back a short email letting them know they are entitled to their opinion but that I find it very offensive. I guess Emily Post would slap my wrist but that’s the way it is. Thanks again for bringing out in the open.

27. Amber says:

a person who is been hateful to one another