I got an e-mail yesterday evening that really got me steamed, so I’m going to vent here, and if it offends anybody, so be it.

Every year we hold two RV rallies for the readers of our Gypsy Journal RV newspaper, and a man wrote to tell me that he and his wife, and his sister and her husband, were planning to register for the rally, but they had a concern. They were worried that a person we know, and whom I have mentioned a time or two in past blogs, might be at the rally. This person is gay, and since they are self-described “Christians,” they abhor the person’s lifestyle and do not want to be anyplace where “one of those” is in attendance.

Then he pissed me off even more by saying that he knew and understood that I had to be politically correct and mention this person in past blogs, and they understood that!

Anybody who knows me, or has spent more then fifteen minutes in my company, knows that while I am far from perfect, being politically correct is one thing I  will never be! I have a reputation to uphold!

My first reaction was to stick my hand through my computer monitor and reach through the cyber world to grasp this bigot’s throat and throttle him, but Miss Terry said that probably wasn’t a good idea. She also said I could not write back and tell him what I really wanted to say.

But nobody tells Bad Nick to keep it cool, so here goes:

I don’t care if a person is fat or thin, tall or short, gay or straight, black brown, yellow, or white, Christian or atheist. As long as they are friendly, open minded, and fun to be around, they are welcome at our rallies and welcome at our campfire. I have so many shortcomings of my own to deal with that I damned sure do not have time to judge others.

But I hate bigots of any flavor. If you are a bigot and look down on your fellow human beings, you are not welcome.  Keep your money and stay away from our rallies, don’t subscribe to our newspaper, and take your hate filled bullshit down the road. I don’t need you or your business. End of story.

Something I find interesting is that we have quite a number of gay readers and friends, and not once, not one single time, have I ever heard one of them talk about another person the way I have heard quite a few so called “Christians” refer to people who do not fit into their narrow minded view of the world.

I know that there are millions and millions of good people in this world that embrace the Christian faith. They may disagree with the way other people live their lives, but they do not pass judgment on them. They believe there is a higher power whose role it is to judge us.

But those other “Christians,” the ones who write letters like this, remind me of the guy sitting on a bar stool telling everybody what a bad ass he is. The only person he is fooling is himself. A real bad ass does not need to tell you that he is, just as a real Christian does not need to go out of his way to let you know that he is.

And a real Christian would never write a letter like the one I got last night.

Okay, I’m done, and I’m climbing down off my soapbox.

Until next time.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Comments on Bad Nick Is Pissed

1. Max says:

Nick, as a gay, full time RVer, I want to personally thank you for standing up to ALL bigotry… The Christian Right, is NEITHER ! regards, Max

2. Hi Nick:

I agree with your rant. I’ve been a Christian for most of my life. I do not advertise, or promote that fact, but often I will be asked, “Are you a Christian?”. When I ask “Why do you ask?” they say they noticed my behavior and how I treated others. When I read comments like you received in your e-mail I wince with shame.

3. Ann Geraghty says:

Go Nick Go! If anyone has a sense of humor, treats people nicely, and likes RV’ing, what else do I need to know about them. I think you said everything that needs to be said.

4. Linda Williamson says:

I normally don’t post comments on blogs. Mostly because others say what I want to say, I think.

But I need to say this: I agree with you whole heartedly. And I like how you put it, all bigots not just Christian ones.

Keep up the good work!

5. Jodie S. says:

This is why we love you, Nick.

6. Jodie S. says:

One of the things I enjoy about the RV lifestyle is meeting and learning from different kinds of people. How boring it would be if we were all the same!

You miss out on a lot if you exclude whole groups of people from your life.

7. Nick, I’ve never been prouder to know you.

8. Nick, this rving dyke from New Orleans just might have to come to the rally just to piss off that so called ‘Christian.”
    Thanks for your philosophy. I read and enjoy it…..most of the time .

9. Ed says:

Congratulations! One has to be true to himself. It is no bodies business if you are black, white, green, christian, anthist, gay republican or democrat. When asked I usally reply. ” None of the above because my Mother insisted I learn how to read.” In reality we are all some mix of heinz 57. some jerks need to just go away!

10. Cyndi says:

I am so glad you are who you are. I agree with you 100% and love how you have spoken out on this topic. Way to go, Nick!

11. Susan Wilson says:

Nick, I would have told him that Yes, for sure, there will be several/many/hundreds-! of gay people at the rally, and he’d best stay Far Away!

The poor soul probably can’t leave his house…

12. John Humphrey says:

Could not agree more. Thank you for posting.

13. Jerryc says:

There are so many “so called christians” doing more damage to the Christian faith today, than all the gays in the world.

14. Bill Borger & Lesle Thomas says:

Bad Nick
    First of all… I don’t ever comment on your posts, however, this time I feel that you’ve finally hit upon on something that I can and do totally agree with you about.
    It makes absolutely no sense how some “Christians” know that they are the conscious for the rest of the world…
    I grew up in the “Deep South” with all of the Bigotry that goes with growing up in the 50’s & 60’s in South GA. It took my getting out & traveling the world to understand what a Narrow, Life Limited idea of people I had… Thank the Great Spirit, that I now understand that we are all equal in “HIS” eyes.
    Thanks and keep up the good work…
    Bearheart and Butterfly

15. Ron Butler says:

Way to go (Not) Bad Nick! That would have done “Good” Nick proud. It’s also why I became an “christian agnostic”!!

16. Danny Burns says:

Nick, I agree completely! Thanks for posting.

17. CathyKenny says:

Nick, you have every right to be “pissed” and to vent. Any “Christian” who condemns another human being is definitely not a “follower of Christ”. I may not agree with a certain lifestyle or religion, but I certainly cannot (nor will I) judge another human being. We all have choices. We should make those choices without hurting others. I do believe your anger over this can be classified as “justified anger”. I feel sorry for the above mentioned “Christian” as he will be judged as he judges others. Thanks for your post, I hope all who come to your rally will feel welcomed & have a great time!

18. dean-nick-nixon says:

hi bad nick-that was cool–we r rv;ers 2-73+? c u on the rd. marie and good nick

19. Rene says:

Well, your un-politically correct stance and actually having some damn balls to speak your mind and stand up to this radical right bigotry has inspired me to subscribe to your magazine! It seems as if no one speaks their mind anymore about much of anything unless it is considered “safe”. It seems as if only the blow hard big mouth hate mongers scream the loudest! Unfortunately, it seems that many of them (not all) are running for the republican nomination! When will our politicians remember that church and state were separated for very good reasons. I am disgusted by how many people vote for these dummy’s and wonder what is in the drinking water? Keep up the good work Nick!