The bleeding hearts at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) are suing the state of Florida over a new law that Governor Rick Scott recently signed into law that requires welfare recipients to submit to drug testing. According to the ACLU, this  is a violation of the right against unreasonable search and seizure.

Of course, some Florida politicians, eager to get face time in front of the TV cameras, have jumped on the bandwagon, claiming the measure is demeaning and an invasion of privacy.

Give me a break! You can’t even get a job in a fast food joint these days without being required to take a drug test. So why shouldn’t people receiving public assistance have to do the same thing that the working folks who are supporting them must do?

If you are on welfare and are not abusing drugs, what’s the problem? And if you are on welfare and do use drugs, why should the taxpayers foot the bill for your addiction?

To the folks who are on welfare and are whining about the new requirement, here’s a news flash for you – the world doesn’t owe you a damned thing! If you don’t think you should have to pass a drug test to get welfare, the answer is real simple. Get of your butt and get a job! End of story!

I hope Florida wins the ACLU’s lawsuit, and then I hope the other 49 states follow in Florida’s footsteps and enact the same laws. We have become a nation of whining, sniveling entitlement-minded wimps who are too lazy and too stupid to stand up on our hind legs and accomplish anything. And it’s lawsuits like this, and politicians like those who are criticizing Governor Scott’s actions, that have allowed us to become that way.

It’s way past time that we stop the nonsense and bull crap in this country, and that the American people take control of it again. My dad always used to say that as long as he  paid the rent and bought the groceries, he made the rules. Isn’t it time for those of us who are paying this country’s bills to start making the rules?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

46 Comments on One Down, 49 To Go

1. Pat and Jim says:

But Nick, if they can’t get it together long enough to pass a drug test for welfare, they wouldn’t be able to pass a drug test to get a job. Then what will they do?????

2. Rex says:

Bad Nick is right on the money. And who gives a hoot in hell what they would do. Work or starve. There should be a time limit on how long one can be on welfare and drug testing should be required. If those on welfare have more than one child while on welfare, both parents should be permanently sterilized. We should also throw the ACLU out with bath water.

3. Julee says:

Maybe they should start doing an alcohol test too or maybe an aspirin test. Folks don’t you realize that it is a slippery path! If you start letting the state in on your extremely personal life, they will just start reaching for more. Aren’t any of you upset about the full body scanners at airports. Next they will do strip searches. And, if people don’t complain, it will just get worse. The reason Nazi Germany existed was because the people in that country allowed it to exist…they never said anything. Are you all just going to sit around and not complain until it is affects you! I have never taken drugs in my entire life, but I don’t think that the state should require that. Don’t people in this country have any empathy anymore.

4. How would you like to have to take a drug test every time you went to rent out the county fairgrounds for your rally? Wouldn’t that feel like an invasion of your privacy, and an over-reach of the county authorities? Where’s your outcry for the limited reach of the state in our private affairs?

5. Wayne Aanerud says:

Wait if you have money for Drugs you don’t need welfare !!!!

6. Brad Barnes says:

You are so right Nick as you say those who pay the bills should make the rules.

7. Dave B. says:

Julee, the difference between these rules and the ones from Nazi Germany is that you still have choices. If you want free welfare money you need to follow those rules. If you “choose” not to follow them then you can do as you wish but don’t get the free money. You still have choices which is the case with the rest of our rules. In Nazi Germany you had no choices, period. You did what ever they told you, period. We live in a country which is free and can do as we wish. Just make the choice!

8. Julee says:

Again…Have none of you ever lost your jobs and had no place to turn to???? If not, then remember don’t judge until you have been in someone’s shoes.

And, What does doing drugs have to do with getting help when you need it? I am pretty sure that most of America would object if they required alcohol testing prior to getting a job. There is NO difference between ‘drugs’ and alcohol. They are both a drug. And, it is none of the state’s business!!!

9. Jim says:

Can’t wait until they start drug tests for all the corporations that get government welfare. In the first testing in Florida 2% tested positive. I believe that may be well below average.

10. Ken H says:

I cannot believe anyone can try to suport the idea that no testing should be required before receiving welfare. To receive welfare or unemployment you must be actively seeking employment. If seeking employment, you have to have seen the notification at EVERY employers office that drug testing is required. Just what the he!! is the difference. I don’t owe you a darn thing, when I apply for a job, I know I will be tested, it is a requirement for employment, as well as random testing while employed. Julee, get a grip on reality. If you are doing drugs, either stop or quit taking the money I pay the gov’t to provide those things required by the Constitution, not the support for some lazy a$$ druggie.

11. Janna says:

It is the state’s business since they are providing the money and as usual Nick you are right!

12. Dan Chance says:

So Julee, let me get this straight. You think that folks on public assistance can use those taxpayer funds for anything, and everything, and that there should be no accountability because it might invade their privacy? The basic concept of public assistance is to help people survive, not spend those funds on illegal products. And yes, there is a difference between alcohol and drugs, one is legal, and the other is not! When my taxpayer dollars are going to folks who are using those funds to buy drugs, then it damn sure is my business, and requiring a simple drug test is no different than an employer requiring the same.

13. Nick Russell says:

Julee – By applying for welfare, people are inviting the state into their lives. Yes, I have lost my job more than once. And I went out and got another one. I’ve dug trenches for power lines, driven a taxi, pumped gas, worked loading trucks, and worked in convenience stors until something better came along.

J.C. – When I rent a fairgrounds for a rally, it is a business transaction. I am not asking for the use of the preoperty for free, or at taxpayer expense.

14. Julee says:

Well, it seems to me that I have seen a LOT of people on social security buying alcohol. In fact, it seems to be a very favorite occupation at a lot of RV parks. I don’t like that they spend my hard earned money on buying alcohol. But, hey, they are allowed to make their own decisions. The same should be said for helping people who are struggling. I might not agree with them spending welfare on meat because I am not fond of meat, but I also don’t think they should ban it. Drugs are illegal because the feds can’t collect taxes on them like they can with alcohol, plain and simple. Heck, the state of New Hampshire and many other states are in the darn alcohol business and they actually think they have the right to restrict people from taking drugs. hypocrites!!!

15. Jason Scholls says:

People on Social Security paid into it to get those benefits. Big difference!

16. Julee says:

Jason-True, but many people get A LOT more out than put in, so some of it comes from the rest of us. And, let’s not get side-tracked. There are many points of view on life, and my original point still stands, the state and the Feds are reaching into our personal lives and it is a VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE.

17. Wil says:

After reading these postings I could help but put my two cents in. First Julee, you must not of had to work for anyone in the last 30 years, because almost everyone ask for you to take a drug test!!!! As far as people on social security buy alcohol, did you forget that these people have been paying into “Social Security” all there working days so that they could retire and enjoy life. So that money is there to spend as they wish. One other thing go look into the mirror, and ask yourself would you want the people that are getting welfare to spend your money on drugs! I know I don’t want them to do that.

18. Judy says:

Julee,
    Do you suppose if you were standing with a drug addict and writing a check out to pay for those drugs to a drug dealer that you might feel differently?

Social Security has nothing to do with being on welfare…..

19. Dan Chance says:

Comparing Social Security to Welfare is like comparing apples to oranges. Get a grip, and enter the real world. Social Security is not your “hard earned money”, it belongs to the social security recipient, who according to the latest government statistics, never recovers the total amount that they contribute during their working years. And comparing the purchase of meat to illegal drugs- Come on, someone needs a reality check. Most would agree, the need for a public safety net, for those that legitimately need help, is a compassionate use of taxpayer dollars. To attach a few rules to the acceptance of those funds is also a fundemental right of the taxpayer.

20. I’m in with Nick and the majority. Go, Florida!

21. Julee says:

I know that I am going against the grain here, and I respect everyone’s right to an opinion. I try to voice my opinions without attacking people with opposing points of view. However, I do know that someone has to stand up for people who have no voice. And, I am very concerned about how quickly everyone is willing to give up basic civil rights (for example, what I mentioned earlier, the full body scans at airports).

And, one last thing, a little story….when I lived in downtown Boston, in a very ritzy neighborhood, there was a homeless woman living the porch of a local church. I walked by her for about a week before I started giving her money. I didn’t give her CONDITIONAL money, I gave her money because I knew she needed it. I did NOT care what she spent it on. I felt I had a duty as a person to try to help others. Isn’t that what we are supposed to do? Help others. Call me naive, it won’t hurt my feelings at all….much better than calling me bitter.

22. Judy says:

If you’re NOT asking me for my money…..then you can spend yours anyway you want. However, if you’re on welfare then you are spending my money and I am “bitter” that my cash is paying for your addiction…..not to mention the fact that your chances of having a real job would be very unlikely anytime soon or ever.

23. Dave K says:

Thanks Again Bad Nick for hitting the Nail on its head.
    Abd for Juliee Thank god there is the 1st ammenbdment for folks like you. Cause there is the 2nd Ammendent for folks like me. !
    “comth the Relevolution we are going to change all that”

24. john says:

Nick, It is not often that I resend from my mail box,but I beleive this relates to todays blog,,
    What the hell

is wrong here?

Remember, not only did you contribute to Social Security but your employer did too. It totaled 15% of your income before taxes. If you averaged only 30K over your working life, thatâ€Ô s close to $220,500. If you calculate the future value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employerâ€Ô s contribution) at a simple 5% (less than what the govt. pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working (me) you’d have $892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years, and thatâ€Ô s with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit! If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you’d have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month. The folks in Washington have pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever had.

Entitlement my ass, I paid cash for my social security insurance!!!! Just because they borrowed the money, doesn’t make my benefits some kind of charity or handout!! Congressional benefits, aka. free health care, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days, now that’s welfare, and they have the nerve to call my retirement entitlements !!!!!!…..scroll down…………..

Emergency Rooms for their general health care

-At just one hospital the cost to tax payers totaled over 25 million a year!!!

Someone please tell me what the HELL’s wrong with all the people that run this country!!!!!!

We’re “broke” & can’t help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless etc.,???????????

In the last months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile, and Turkey.And now Pakistan home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors living on a ‘fixed income’ receive no aid nor do they get any breaks while our government and religious organizations pour Hundreds of Billions of $$$$$$’s and Tons of Food to Foreign Countries!

They call Social Security and Medicare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives and now when its time for us to collect, the government is running out of money. Why did the government borrow from it in the first place?

AMERICA: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed hungry, elderly going without ‘needed’ meds, and mentally ill without treatment -etc,etc.

YET………………….

They have a ‘Benefit’ for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations, ships and planes lining up with food, water, tents clothes, bedding, doctors and medical supplies.

Imagine if the *GOVERNMENT* gave ‘US’ the same support they give to other countries

SAD?

YEAH, OK, SO WHEN DO WE GET PISSED AND

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?????

25. bucky says:

Right On Nick, this country is going crazy with people looking for a free meale. And that woman comparing Social Security to Welfare is a prime example. I paid into Social Security for 43 years against my will, I could have made better investments on my own. She is probably one of people who supported OBIMBO.

26. Dan Chance says:

Much of this discussion centers around 2 subjects. Compassion, and accountability. They are not necessarily bound together. A society, or an individual that provides compassionate assistance to those in need, is to be commended. Confusing government intrusion with the basic concept of being accountable, is part of what’s wrong with the entitlement mentality. When an employee puts in a 40 hr. work week, he/she is compensated with a paycheck. That worker has to fulfill many responsibilities, one of which might be a random drug test. To suggest that a person on government assistance has NO responsibilities, or accountability, simply because of privacy issues, is completely contrary to the principles and obligations of every person in America who takes home a paycheck.

27. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy Nasty Nick,

YOU TELL’EM OL’ BUD!!! Mr. Chance has a completely sound way of putting it.. The ones who do not want to work: SUCK THE GOVERNMENT TIT DRY!! The people who START COMPANIES AND HIRE WORKERS,not union scum, HAVE THEIR HANDS TIED BY THE SOCIALIST-DEMOCRATS, WHO HAVE TAKEN OVER ‘OUR'(THE AMERICAN) GOVERNMENT! I worked my whole ‘working’ life to build companies and one by one ‘lost’ them to more and more GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS!!! BUT I NEVER HIRED A KNOWN DRUG USER!! They wouldn’t work if you hired them.. I had friends who did and they lost a lot of tools,
    materials and vehicles..

28. b says:

I agree with Wayne, if they have money to buy drugs they don’t need welfare. I agree to drug testing if you are on public assistance furthermore if you are a Government employee no matter which end, you should have to submit to drug testing period! Now for a kicker. With all the money woes the Feds and State Government have. Make all drugs legal and sold by the States. Having a big tax on illegal drugs then maybe we can come out of the hole. You buy alcohol and what does this do? So make drugs of choice legal and what will the outcome be?
    It all comes down to belief. If Government is involved in more of our daily ventures the Civil Liberty Attorneys will be more involved. The bottom line, if you are supported by Government funds you either support drug testing or say addios.
    Another good one bad Nick! Bill

29. Dave B. says:

Our government is running out of money because of all the hand outs in the past. This is why the government is finally tightening up their belts. There is no more money! On a side note, I just heard on the news that the state of Michigan is now going to limit welfare to 4 years, except in rare cases of disabilities,etc. They say that they are going back to the way it started and was intended to be used, as a means to get by until you were back on your feet. Not a way of life!

30. Barry Crocker says:

Link to this blog post sent to all my friends.

31. Connie Bradih says:

When I worked as a teacher, I was fingerprinted in order to get the job. If I had been caught for any drug violation of any kind or various violations of law, I would have LOST my job. Asking welfare recipients who do absolutely nothing to get money except apply for welfare to take random drug tests is certainly fair. In fact it makes me sick to see them smoking and drinking, etc and their kids don’t have enough food or the correct kind of food to eat.

Getting Welfare is NOT A RIGHT. Welfare is something given by the working, income tax paying people of this country to help those who are less fortunate. It is only right that those receiving welfare PROVE they need it and PROVE they are not taking drugs. I’m from Florida. Right on Gov!!!!!!!!!

32. Gary says:

Those against this issue are usually ones that have something to hide. When I worked for the state of NY they could randomly ask for a drug test at any time and many employees were outraged. I also knew that most of those who were complaining the most had something to hide. Like it or not we are now living in different times for better or worse. Quit your whinnying people and get on with your life, or get one.

33. Marvin says:

Julee,
    How many years did you work and pay into your “entitlements” ?
    How many jobs did you create ?
    Drug testing AND fingerprinting should be mandatory – I do not have anything to hide and I am not scared of the dark !
    Did you ever defend this country ?

John,
    Thank you for printing the statistics and numbers that every taxpayer should be aware of !

34. Linda says:

I whole-heartedly agree with you and Gov. Scott. As others have suggested, let’s add alcohol testing and fingerprinting too. I for one don’t appreciate paying for someone’s drug or booze habit and let’s make sure we know who’s getting the money by fingerprinting…if they’re wanted for something they belong in jail not on the dole.

35. Ron Butler says:

Whew, there sure is some animosity out there. I think you need to come back to Julie’s basic point, that being of a slippery slope of losing our right of privacy and what we do in our private lives and property. “Way back when” we accepted the concept of peeing in a cup was the start down that slope and we have had to invent all sorts of rationalizations and excuses for allowing the government and corporations into our private lives more and more since then. With “security” cameras and cell phones with cameras and video capabilities all around us, do we really have any privacy left anyway?

Sorry for those of you that damn the ACLU, but I suggest you do some research and see where they have attempted to protect ALL of consitutional and bill of rights, not only from government intrusion, but from corporate intrusion as well. Just because “I have nothing to hide” is no excuse or rationale for allowing that intrusion and invasion.

Whenever I see responses in some of that tone I am reminded of the quotation from a German doctor, Nemeyer or something like that, to paraphrase, “when they came for the homosexuals, I said nothing because I wasn’t a homosexual…when they came for me, there was no one left to speak up.” Its a short version, I don’t have it with me here on the motor home.

Also, please remember, the vast majority of welfare recipients are children, the aged and the infirmed and disabled and the mentally disabled. I have usually found that this issue of of “druggies” getting our hard earned tax money is a red meat topic to excit their political base!! I just wish we would have been that unset with being lied into 2 UNFUNDED wars!

Well, that should get the rabid responses! Just try to stay somewhat logical and to the facts!

Take care everyone, and remember to take some time to remember those we lost 10 years ago.

36. Camille says:

This was a side issue brought up by “John” above. He said, and I quote:

“We have hundreds of adoptable children who are shoved aside to make room for the adoption of foreign orphans.”

First, I am sure that there are many thousands (not mere hundreds) of adoptable children in this country. But many are older and special needs. Understandably, most prospective parents prefer a healthy infant. We do have a shortage of adoptable healthy infants in this country.

Second, an orphan is an orphan, no matter what country they are born in. All children deserve a home, don’t they?

Most people want to have their own children and aren’t interested in raising another person’s child as their own, period. People who do adopt, whether here or abroad, deserve a special place in heaven, in my opinion.

37. Mike says:

It says right in the preamble to the Constitution that as citizens of this country we have the right to pursue happiness. Happiness means drugs, right? What am I missing?

38. George Stoltz says:

Julee,

If you believe that welfare recipients should be able to buy drugs then go give them the money to do so. You can find some of them at mighway intersections. They are the ones with the cardboard signs asking for money. And, I worked since I was 15 and worked hard. If I want to buy alcohol with some of my earned Social Security, then I will damn well do so. Remember, this is some of MY money the government is returning to me.
    You are entitled to your opinion and it is welcome here, but Julee — you aren’t thinking right.

39. cc says:

Paid a lot more into SS than into 401k, but get more from 401k direct depositthan SS each month (w/out…yet…depreciating the 401k principal). [Not counting the continuing market downward spiral of my 401k!!] Gov’t didn’t invest my SS-$$, it spent them.

Both of my SS/401k payroll deductions were matched by my employer. SS is not an entitlement for those of us who paid into it.

Visited a 66 y/o nephew for 3 days in UM-Cardiology hosp in Ann Arbor in June 2011 (before he died-4th day). He retired May 1, 2011. He may have received 1 TSA retirement check & 1 SS check. Life is fragile.

Atta’ boy Nick.

40. Ron Johnson says:

A friend sent me this link. It fairly well illustrates the problem with the entitlement society we are living in today. So sad.

“CBS removed this video from YouTube, but I’ve found another copy watch it quick before it’s gone, and send to all. You have to watch this video of Judge Judy before it’s removed- it’s actually a guy from St Paul , MN . This is why our taxes should be raised?? Come on”

I don’t agree with you on everything Nick but I sure do on this one. When I was working I was drug tested many times, especially when I worked on federal government contract jobs. People that did not pass the drug test did not get to work. Why should people wanting money from the taxpayers {welfare] be free from drug testing while people that work have to submit to it. The ACLU is not as rightous as they would like people to believe. They are very politically motivated. I do not like to see individual rights violated but this does not fall into that clasification. I am not opposed to people that really need food, shelter, clothes from receiving help. I do not want to give people drugs. That is only going to harm them and their families. Those that think it is their right to indulge in drugs, do it on your own dime, not mine.

42. Robert says:

Right on Julee and Ron B. This is typical of so much of the problems we face in our Country today. People get so riled up over the bits and pieces, (compliments of the corporate financed fact twisters and fear mongers i.e. Foxnews and the likes of Limbaugh) that they completely lose track of the big picture and the real threats to our freedom and beloved democracy… Keep fighting the good fight to calmly and rationally educate and enlighten the blinded masses, and remember it’s not all their fault. Most are good honest people and patriotic Americans, they have just fallen victim to and been misled by the best media and mind control experts big money and powerful corporate interests can buy.

43. Paul Stough says:

I agree it is time to quit coddling the poor, and make them stand up a do their share. We all know that they are all lazy, and wouldnt work even if you gave them a job, which is the fault of the unions in this country.

John Stewart has it right.

Paul

44. Marty says:

Sorry for the late post…BUT!!!! A little background on the drug testing in Florida, and why it doesn’t make sense. First off, as noted only 2% have failed the drug test. If on welfare, you pay 50.00 dollars per test, if you pass the test, your 50.00 dollars is returned (Your taxes pay for the test), if you fail, the state keeps your money, no welfare for a year..BUT, another family member can take the test and receive your check (as long as they pass and agree to manage your money). Now, keep in mind that the Governor has cut over 5000 state jobs in the last 9 months, forced state employees to take a 3% pay cut (keep in mind that these same employees have not had a raise in 4 years), he has cut funding for education, thus causing a large number of teachers to be laid-off. SO YES, DRUG TEST ING IS A GREAT IDEA, BUT NOT THE WAY FLORIDA IS DOING IT, it is costing the tax payer money. In addition, he has cut funding for children, elder care. But has raised the pay for his staff…Paul Stough, you sound just like governor scott, he made almost the same statement, and is now starting to eat his words when only 2 percent failed the test.

45. Marty says:

ACLU

—–***** I MAY HATE WHAT YOU SAY OR DO, BUT I WILL DEFEND YOUR FREEDOM TO SAY OR DO IT *****—–

46. Robert says:

Paul. Love the irony… I too love Jon Stewart and how he masterfully exposes hypocrisy and dismantles the ruse of Foxnews… Well done.