Well, I’ve only got today left before I go into Scrooge mode. From Thanksgiving until the end of the year, I do everything I can to avoid going into any store, especially any of the big chain places, because I just can’t handle all of the rude, pushy crowds, and the holiday hokum. Bah humbug!

Don’t get me wrong, I like Christmas. I especially love Christmas music. But I mean real Christmas music. Songs like Silver Bells, and White Christmas. Not Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer and such nonsense. And if I I have to listen to that bunch of annoying chipmunks sing one more Christmas carol, I’m gonna load my shotgun and go hunting!

Let’s face it, Christmas stopped being about anything except profit many years ago. You buy me something I don’t really want or need, and then I’ll feel obligated to by you something you don’t want or need. And even though we say we won’t do that again, next year I’ll remember that you bought something for me last year, and I’ll guilt myself into getting you something. And the viscous cycle continues. Here’s an idea – how about you buy yourself something that you want, and I’ll buy me something I want. About two weeks after Christmas.

For years, when I owned small town newspapers, we would find a family in need, and collect presents for the kids, and on Christmas Eve, I’d don my Santa Claus costume (Yes, Bad Nick made a fine Santa, thank you very much!), I’d make a couple of the girls from the office put on elf costumes (short, skimpy elf costumes, because Santa’s a lecherous old bugger), and off we’d go to spread Yuletide cheer. I think those were some of my favorite Christmas activities, and I looked forward to it every year.

There is a move on to encourage people to shop at smaller, independent retailers instead of the big box stores this year. Of course, we all know that won’t happen, because if most people can save 49 cents, they’ll go to the big places and fight the crowds to do so. Screw that little guy trying to make a living and put something back into the local economy, I saved 49 cents!

Maybe we should just forget all of the holiday bullcrap and stop for just one minute and think about what it’s really all about. You remember, things like peace on earth, and goodwill toward mankind.

Oh damn, there go those darn chipmunks again. Honey, grab me my shotgun!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

21 Comments on I Go Into Scrooge Mode

1. Bob says:

The “Christmas Season” is my least favourite time of year, even though I like Christmas.
    Bad Nick, you’re not as “bad” today!

2. the_wanderer says:

Frenzy…It’s what we (they) do. Can anyone say “football?”

3. Francis Callahan says:

I am like you when it comes to stores most women push thier carts on the wrong side of the isle in stead keeping on the right weounder ifd they they drive the same way that and when the get together nd carry on a conversation holding everyone up I usually tell them if they want to visit go outside and get some really nasty looks

4. Jon Ensminger says:

We avoid the hype into buying things we don’t need, but as you say if we do need something we will get it after Christmas.
    Much to the big store mind set, Christmas in the birth of Jesus, and not the time to fill up their coffers. We do get gift certificates for the grand’s that hopefully they can use when the prices are lower after Christmas and we will send a few cards that we get at the Dollar Store. As for each other we get what we need when we need it and not on a big box store say so.

5. Muriel Daniels says:

I’m with you on all the way on this! And I’m definitely not participating in any of that Black Friday crapola! Bah humbug to those big box stores! Also, it is Merry Christmas, not happy holidays.

6. Jan and Brad says:

I here you totally. I used to buy into that but every year, it is worse. I wanted to leave our fiber optic tree behind. Next year I will. One year I forgot to put it up anyway.

Take care of some one and set a good example. That’s the Christian way.

7. Connie Bradih says:

I love Christmas, the real Christmas. It is all about the birth of Christ, family-get-togethers to share love and enjoyment of the season. Yes, there is a lot of commercialism of Christmas. I stay away from that and celebrate the real Christmas.

There is nothing more fun and exciting than decorating for Christmas, listening to real Christmas music and remembering the real reason for the season.

Call me naive, call me sentimental, it’s all true. I still love Christmas and look forward to it each year. And it starts the day after Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

8. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy BN,

I’ll send you an email with the REAL SCOOP on CHRISTmas..

9. Al Hesselbart says:

Im with you, I wish I could hibernate from now to New Years. Christmas-the whole season-is my big downer for the year. Ill probably go to the park potluck dinner but I go to at least one every week so the day is not the reason

10. Bill Daines says:

Years ago I always got excited. I looked forward to the Christmas season. Decorated the exterior(house and pine trees) with lights. I enjoyed shopping for the family. I also enjoyed my patrol duties including working crashes caused by distracted drivers. I always had a smile and greeted folks with a Merry Christmas.
    The kids grew up (me too) and I realized I really did not like fighting the crowd, in the stores and on the roads.
    I’ve stopped the exterior lighting and will downsize on a tree too. It always happend, light’s would go out in the out of reach area first!
    Gee, I get more excited thinking about snow than fighting rude shoppers, but I would be a bell ringer and greet folks with Merry Christmas. I’ve always believed in giving than recieving but I think some folks get the grinch feeling more today because Christmas today is not what it was like long ago..

11. JB says:

Years ago my brothers, my parents, and I made a decision to make a donation to a worthy cause instead of exchanging gifts. It seemed that was a better use of our funds than buying something nobody really needed, and although both of my brothers have passed on my parents and I still keep up the tradition. We still enjoy picking up something for the little ones though.

12. Walt says:

Nick, I agree with you about the big box stores, Connie you are spot on. BTW I play Santa at Christmas time and love the looks on the faces of the 4-10 year olds, the magic is still there for them. As for Christmas music, I tend to listen to Christmas Carols as they remind me of the reason for the season, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

13. Jerry Criswell says:

Not only do I stay out of the stores, there are several streets I won’t drive on either.

JC

14. Zap says:

I have been trying to convince my family to celebrate Chistmas another time of year. That way we wouldn’t have to deal with most people in this country trying to do exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. I always thought October would be nice. I haven’t convinced them yet but I’m still trying.

15. Jim@HiTek says:

Know what you’re saying, Nick. It took me 15 [i]years[/i] to get my immediate family to stop buying presents I don’t want or need each year and only draw ONE name out of a hat and buy just that person a present. Drawing was in August. I’m talking the adults. Children got whatever from whomever if they found something they just had to get for them. But the adults seemed to work together on that to keep it to a minimum.

But that method really made the holidays more comfortable and less stressful. You could go do your shopping months early and could avoid Black Friday altogether.

16. Pam says:

I love Christmas but I am sick to death of the Merry Christmas nazis. You know the type-they start whining every year around Thanksgiving about anyone who says anything other than Merry Christmas. They are usually the same “good christian” types that send out the hateful emails we are all so sick of. Here’s a tip. If the Walmart greeter says “happy holidays” to you, say “Thank you.” I don’t care if someone says Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Season’s Greetings. They aren’t taking Christ out of Christmas they are wishing me well. Attacking anyone for their choice of greeting is decidedly UNchristian. Insisting that everyone say Merry Christmas is childish and rude. If you want to keep Christ in Christmas, go to church, not Walmart. People who complain about what a sales clerk says to them should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry for the rant. :-)

17. T & R Martin says:

What a wonderful selection of comments, they hit on everything. I was trying to remember when folks started taking Christ out of CHRISTmas & I believe it was when we just wanted to shorten the word & came out with the “X” for Christ. Just as we shortened the original “MASS” TO “MAS” So we went from “CHRIST MASS” & ended up with “Xmas”—Thanks to all who did NOT take the shortcut, but especially to you Bad Nick because you started it. Everyone has made good points, but when this season rolls around I always say “Merry Christmas” to those I know to be Christians & “Happy Hannukah” to my Jewish friends. In recent years I have added “Happy Kwaanza” to those who prefer that greeting; but a funny thing happened a few years ago when I said Happy Kwaanza to a black acquaintance & they replied “what’s that”? We both had a good laugh because he had a wonderful sense of humor. No wonder Jerry Seinfeld (or his writers) came up with the word: “FESTIVA.” As a child, it was wonderful to see the Nativity Scene & hear/sing the Christmas Carols; but as we expand our acceptance of others we cannot forget our traditions, so to all I say “Happy Holidays” with a slight tear in may eye but a “Merry Christmas” in my heart as I remember the way it was—I guess that is called “Progress.” My new motto however is: STOP SPENDING!

18. Bob says:

Regarding the “X-mass” myth: Read up on Emperor Constantine’s conversion to Christianity, and then many centuries later, when Gutenberg invented the printing press with moveable type (in 1436) and you’ll discover that using “X” as symbol for Christ didn’t just mysteriously spring up in the last few years.
    That of course, might mean sifting through information on the internet, making some sort of analysis, deciding what you want to believe….
    Never mind, just stick with what you think is right.

19. Susie C. says:

I love Christmas time because we cherry-pick the things we like to do. I love decorating the tree and the house, and listening to Christmas music, and dinner with our friends. That’s all! No shopping for grownups and no Black Friday shopping at all. Stress chases out joy and gratitude, and I’m not having it! :) As far as holiday greetings go — everybody gets “Merry Christmas” from me, and whatever others want to say in return is fine, too. Even the longest life is way too short, so why waste any of it on things that don’t amount to a hill of beans in the end? Happy Thanksgiving and an early Merry Christmas to you all!

I loved Connie and Susie C’s posts. We feel so very blessed and we love Thanksgiving and Christmas and as full-timers we take Nov. and Dec. to be with our children and friends from the old life. I have no interest in Black Friday and the shopping part but we do get our children and grandson something that they would like. We tell them that a card would be nice to get from them but presents aren’t required. We also try to help those less fortunate and wish everyone a big HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

To Pam: Thank you for your comments and saying what I would have. We are not Christian but appreciate the beauty of the holiday. We are glad to share the holiday with our friends but do wish others would not expect everyone to think exactly the way they do.