I’ve been watching news reports about the various Occupy movements around the country with interest. And I have to admit, I’m not sure I get it. Who are all of these people, and what are they trying to accomplish?

In several news reports, I have heard various spokespersons for the movement, or just people interviewed at the various places, and they all seem to say they don’t have a common goal, except that they want a piece of the pie, and don’t feel that they are getting their fair share.

Let’s talk about fair. My 81 year old father-in-law retired after 22 years in the Air Force, then worked two other careers. Now he’s working at WalMart to make ends meet. What’s fair about that?

What is fair? I don’t think it’s fair that huge corporations like GE, DuPont and Wells Fargo have not paid taxes in years, and in fact are actually getting money back from the government every year. In the meantime, you and I are supporting the nation’s poor, paying for wars we don’t want to be in, and are sending billions of our tax dollars overseas every year. In the meantime, many of us can’t afford health insurance, or college tuition for our kids, while chronic welfare rats get free healthcare, and illegal aliens get medical care, and can even send their kids to college on our tax dollars. Why is that fair?

I’ve heard it said that these huge tax breaks help businesses grow, so they can provide more jobs. Okay, then where are those jobs? Every time I want to buy something, everything seems to be made in some other country. What’s the answer? I sure don’t have it. But I do know some things.

Yes, we have a lot of problems in our country, and the way we are doing things isn’t working. Yes, I believe that there are some really big guys and big corporations that are getting too many breaks, courtesy of the congressmen and senators their lobbyists have paid off.

But the flip side of that coin is that there are way too many people in this country who have an entitlement mindset and want everything handed to them.

I keep hearing about this 99 percent who say that they are getting shafted. But nobody I know is out there taking part in the protests, because they are too busy working and living their own lives.

More than one person in the occupy movement has been pictured holding signs that say they can’t find work. Bullshit. There is always a job or a way to make a buck, if you want to. It may not be a great job, and it may not pay top dollar, but just about anyone can drive a taxi, work in a convenience store or fast food restaurant, or a thousand other menial jobs. No, you may not be able to pay all of your bills on those kind of wages, but guess what? There are millions of people who do live on that kind of money!

I’ve also heard a lot of comments about the rich people who have it all. But what’s rich? Obviously, we have people like Microsoft’s Bill Gates, or Apple Computer’s late Steve Jobs. But we also have a lot of people who have a lot less, and have worked damned hard to get it. Why should they be expected to give up what they worked and saved for so somebody else can have it? Mystery author J.A. Jance had an interesting post on her blog, titled Notes From a One-percenter that sums it up quite well, much better than I can say it.

I’ve been flat out broke, and I’ve had some relative success at different times in my life. Eleven years ago, when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, it wiped us out financially. I don’t mean we took a hard hit to our bank account, I mean we were broke. Busted. To the point where we had to borrow money to eat.

Man, it sure would have been easy to just give up at that point. But one thing about hitting rock bottom; you have nowhere to go but up. So we rolled up our sleeves and worked hard, and today we are doing just fine. Because those are the values we were raised on.

But I’ve noticed a funny thing. When we finally did get out of the hole that we found ourselves in, and actually reached the point where we could afford a small luxury or two, there were people who resented us for it. After I bought a used motorcycle, one person actually cancelled his subscription to our newspaper, saying “If Nick can afford a motorcycle, he doesn’t need my money.”

Years earlier, when we were first getting ready to go on the road as fulltime RVers, I had worked out a plan to sell my business to my employees. It looked like a pretty good offer to me, and all they had to do was keep right on doing their jobs, and within five years, they would own the place.

Instead, the minute my back was turned, they started stealing me blind. When confronted, they said “Yeah, well you have a new RV, and you have a Corvette. We deserve something, too!”

I realized that they were right, and they got just what they deserved, a quick trip out the front door, never to return. I will never apologize for busting my butt for years, and for reaping the benefits of my hard work.

I’m sure that there are some folks involved in the Occupy movement who really want to help change things in a positive way. But I also think that for many of them, this is just an excuse to party and hang out, and they really have no clue what they are doing.  And I suspect that a lot of the people jumping up and down in front of the cameras at these gatherings have the same attitudes as that reader and those former employees of mine.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Comments on Preoccupied

1. Anthony Gardner says:

My son and his friends are all at the gathering in New York. Not sure if they will really accomplish anything, but I like to think so. Hey, we helped end the Viet Nam War with peaceful protest didn’t we?

2. Stewart L. says:

You get no argument from me on this one Bad Nick. I am so sick and tired of the “gimme gimme” crowd. You want something in life? Then go bust your ass to get it like the rest of us did!

3. Robert says:

Sure there are some bad apples at the occupations, and Fox does a great job of narrowing their focus only on the most rotten of them in their reporting. The truth is that this growing movement is for all the problems and reasons you stated Nick, and more… I’ve been to some of the occupations and have been following them and others pretty closely, and I don’t see a gimme gimme attitude and a sense of entitlement where it’s unearned. I see a representation of a middle class that has been disparaged and decimated by unchecked corporate greed, crony capitalism and political corruption, and it’s mad as hell and isn’t going to take it anymore. The powers that be are desperately trying to cast a bad light on and ridicule this movement, but it is a last stand in an attempt to restore justice and the true democracy that our forefathers intended us to have if we could keep it. We, yes WE the 99% have been pushed to the edge of the cliff, and people who have honorably played by the rules are losing all they’ve worked for to these greedy bastards and have begun to fight back.
    There are lots of gripes represented, and all are welcome. Mine personally is the auction of our political process to the highest bidder of unlimited and undisclosed amounts that effectively negate the power of the individual voter in whose hands it was intended to be. Do a little research on the Citizens United ruling by our Supreme Court and you’ll find that we are ever so close to losing our democratic process as we knew it.
    Our country was birthed by just such an uprising as this, and by this current movement of many brave and patriotic citizens may it be saved.

4. Francis Callahan says:

I got out of the service with a wife and 4 kids no retirement worked for $2.50 an hour and worfked 3 jobs. Even worked on a garbage truck which is not the greatest. After the kids grew up lost my first wife tro cancer.That bunch of gimmie gimmie dirt bags protesting should get off thier asses and get a job. Don’t tellme there are no jobs these people want to start at $) to 50 grand a year. it don’tg happen I am with you Nick.

5. Robert says:

A man sees what he wants to see, and disregards the rest…

6. Fred Hammer says:

Well, “they” are occupying our public housing, our emergency rooms, and our schools, so why not wall street; but don’t refer to yourselves (if you are part of it or support it) as “the 99%.”

I am definitely not part of the 1%, and I am not out there making a socialistic fool of myself — so 99% is both hyperbole and an outright lie. (And “they” dare chide FOX!)

I like my daughter’s quote from Facebook a few weeks ago.

“Ok…so here is an idea…OCCUPY a JOB, where you work hard and contribute to earn an income to take care of yourself. Just for kicks, mix in some integrity, courtesy and self-accountability. If you are really feeling courageous, you could try thinking for yourself and researching real truth beyond what the self-serving media spoonfeeds the public. Wouldn’t that be interesting?!”

7. Sandy Stoltz says:

Great topic, Nick. And I so totally agree with you, Robert, very well spoken. The power needs to go back to the people.

8. Janna says:

Amen Nick! My Mom lives on a very limited income but she lives well–should she and my Dad have saved more when young, of course but saving money with three kids while working minimum wage jobs was hard. I’ve had a job since I was 16 years old, and now retired and part time RVing, I still have a job of sorts. There are jobs out there, it just may not be the exact one you want.

Robert: So well said.
    It is so easy to say that there are jobs out there as long as you’re willing to do anything, but that just is not the case. Many companies will not take you (even if it’s just to clean toilets) if you are too highly educated. If you are over 50, age discrimination has been shown to be in full force and effect. And if you’ve been unemployed for more than 6 months, then are you are also discriminated against.
    This kind of protest has caught the attention of politicians, just the way the protests against the Vietnam War did. We have freedom of speech in this country and the OWS has the same rights everyone else does to express their speech.
    Until you walk in their shoes, it is very easy to criticize. Life is not a cookie cutter as above expressed by some.

10. Katie says:

Robert hit the nail on the head! I agree with him 100%!! It’s a me me me generation now and just remember that the Baby Boomers are the benchmarks other generations need to pay attention to. The middle class is desolving before our very eyes whether you like it or not. I admire the protests for it reflects the very few freedoms we have left in America. The freedom of speech!

11. George says:

Robert said it very well. I just spent 31 years with a major corporation. I watched my salary and benefits deteriorate over 31 years. Take away, take away, take away. I ended up working 80 hour weeks just to make it to my retirement without being cut.

The pendulum has swung in one direction way, way too long.

These corporations have done all this with a big stamp of approval from Politicians. This has to stop and stop now.

We need a program like ISO 9000 for Employee treatment. If you don’t give your employees a great wage and great benefits there are no contracts for you. The fix is quite easy. Now the only competition in business is who can treat their employees the worse and still get them showing up for work.

Again, Robert put it perfectly.

All those hard working people won’t mind working a little harder for a little less, so the rich can get richer. I hope some of those hard working people wise up one day too.

12. the_wanderer says:

those “peaceful” protests didn’t end the war in Vietnam. THe war came to an end because it had too. And Nick, you are right on about the strategy to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, as my Dad used to say. When are people gonna learn that it’s all the law of the jungle?? What, exactly, is “fair?” There is no fair. This is human nature in a slightly more than raw form. You guys think you caught the attention of politicians with your protests? I’ll tell you what, you caught my attention when I heard about it in Vietnam. It made me hate the lack of support we were needing. Not support for a war we didn/t need to be in, but support for our troops in general. The hippies had an excuse to party down and release the hate on us when we returned. This “occupy” stuff is just more bullshit from people who don’t even know what they want except an excuse to vent their hatred of all things that don/t benefit themselves directly.

13. Llana Nixon says:

Robert nailed it.

The wealthy buy access to lawmakers who deregulate onerous laws to allow corporations to pollute the air, water and land for short-term profits.

Exactly how much actual “job creation” has the GOP supported since being elected? They get elected for “job creation”, but instead, spend their time passing laws busting unions, cutting funds to education and teachers, letting the infrastructure go, passing around money to their cronies, restricting women’s rights to medical care, and fiddling while Rome burns.

We who have health insurance watch our poorer family members and old friends do without medical care while certain American industries just get richer and richer, paying their CEOs obscene bonuses after taking public money during the earlier crises. The laws passed today represent, and favor, the moneyed interests, not the middle class, and god forbid, not the poor among us.

In my parents’ day, we didn’t begrudge caring for the least among us. The Christianity I grew up with taught us to clothe the naked, feed the hungry, etc. Today, Americans loudly hate the poor, the sick, the mentally impaired, the disabled, etc. who exist in “the bottom 50% who pay no taxes”. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Today, it seems that money is the god some people worship…and so they buy politicians who pass laws that benefit the wealthy.

Too many politicians insert their religion into their politics. I’m concerned that separation of church and state is being trampled by those working hard to institute a government based on THEIR particular Biblical beliefs. That’s exceedingly troubling to me, too.

14. Dennis M says:

Yup, I agree with Robert and all the others. People like Faux news are putting the wrong spin on this and many people are buying their BS.

This movement is not about jealousy of the rich, this is protesting things like this: Freddie MAC, the Federally chartered lending institution received 180 million dollars in bail outs. They still have not shown a profit in two years – the bonus pool for their top 10 executives this year? How about $11.8 million!!!

The United Sates has become a Plutocracy and history will recognize this era as the second coming of the robber barons, enabled by our multi-millionaire politicians. ‘Nuff said.

15. Paul Stough says:

I do agree that The Occupy Movement need a focused message. They like millions of other Americans know some thing isnt right, but not sure what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Here are three issues that the Occupy Movement should be pushing for:

1. To over turn Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad.(http://money.howstuffworks.com.....erson1.htm)

I believe that this would also negate the Citizens United case.

2. Return to the original intent of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution regarding “birthright citizenship”.

3. Enforce current laws regarding illegal aliens.

Much of the problems we see today are the result of the reduced buying power of working people.

When I graduated from high school in 1968 I got a job working for a guy who shingled houses. I was paid $4.00 and hour. If you adjust that wage for inflation to get the same buying power in 2011, the wage today would be about $26.00 an hour! Instead similar jobs today pay less than half that. There in lies the problem.

Paul

16. Pat and Jim says:

I happened to pass by the occupy movement in Toronto on a sunny afternoon last week and saw a lot of young people in name branded clothes socializing with each other while talking or texting on smart phones. It reminded me of the 1970s movie Getting Straight made during the height of the Vietnam protests. Elliot Gould’s character Harry Bailey in his doctoral dissertation suggests that demonstrations such as these attracted a significant crowd due to the fact that it was a great place to hook up. As the occasional waft of burning cannabis drifted by my nostrils I recalled some of my own younger days from the 60’s and gave them all a thumb’s up.

17. Alan White says:

I agree with you Nick……people have become too dependent on the government to solve our problems……the government only creates problems..

Where has the accountability to ones own success or failure in life gone……instead the new norm has been to blame someone or something else..

By most of the comments I see to your article, it would appear that the left has surely gotten people to support class warfare…

18. Dave says:

One of the problems the media, and a lot of folks, have with the protesters is that they can’t drill down to a single item like they did with Vietnam. The people showing up this time don’t have one issue.

Some are there because they were convinced to take out student loans (government guaranteed)where the banks and colleges took no risks and received obscene amounts of money. Now that they have degrees they can’t find a job making enough money to pay the massive debts they’re saddled with.

Others are veterans who have come back after multiple tours of duty in places they never should have been sent to in the first place. Now they can’t get medical or mental health help or a job.

Others are seniors who are afraid that the people in power are going to take away their social security and medical benefits.

Still others are people working now who are afraid that they’ll never get the retirement and medical benefits that they’re paying for out of every paycheck.

The list goes on and on. People are being shat upon for a variety of reasons from a lot of directions and they’re pissed off.

If I had control of the protesters there would be one rule:

“YOU CAN’T JOIN US IF YOU AREN”T REGISTERED TO VOTE”

I don’t advocate throwing out all of the incumbents. Some of them still have the people’s best interest as their reason for serving. I got an e-mail from my senator Tom Udall a couple of days ago saying that he’s introduced a constitutional amendment to basically overturn the nutty “Corporations are People” supreme court decisions and stop wholesale secret politician buying by corporations and their secret funds.

Why would I want to vote this man out? He’s working for me.

19. Donna K says:

Great blog, Nick. I find it ironic that most of the protesters are happy to make use of products – everything from tents to iPhones to laptops – made by the large corporations they are protesting against.

One of the fallacies on which their movement is built is that there is somehow a finite “pie” out there which must be divided equally among all who want some. The truth is, we do not have a “right” to someone else’s pie. If you don’t like the piece you have now, go bake your own “pie.” That is where their energy and enthusiasm should be expended.

Thanks for the link to JA Jance. Didn’t know she had a blog and I love her works.

20. Dave B. says:

It all boils down to the “99%” are sick and tired of the 1% getting special favors from our elected officials because of pay offs. The “99%” don’t ask for something for nothing. They just want a more level playing field where money can’t buy the government off. There is another movement going around, VOTE ALL INCUMBENTS OUT OF OFFICE! This will get their attention so they start working for the “99%” rather than the “1%”

21. Gene Pierce says:

To understand this mindset go to any kids soccer or little league game. My grandkids all get trophies whether their team wins or loses because nobody EVER wins or loses! As my dauhgter explains it to me, they all get awards for participating. So if they all think they deserve the same as everybody else no matter how much effor they put into it, how can we expect them to be any different when they grow up?

22. Denise Gray says:

I also agree with Robert. We lost all the value in our house which was a significant part of our retirement. We lost value in our stocks due to our warped political situation. We have friends who have been laid off and send out resume’s every day. Even the local fast food chains are not hiring making it impossible to even get a low paying job. For years we have watched the jobs go elsewhere and we are now reaping the unemployment while the corporations sit on billions of dollars. Even the returning veterans cannot get jobs. Yea, it is not fair and I support the effort. I do agree with Nick in that the 99%’ers do not have focus. We have moved our money out of Bank of America, which was one little thing that we could do. As one lady had on a sign, “I can’t afford to buy a politician so I bought this sign!”
    Isn’t that a sad commentary on our society. What can we do to make Wall Street and the politicians listen? I wish I had an answer, since the elections are a year away and the voters won’t throw out all the career politicians anyway, what can happen except have a revolution! Hopefully it will stay peaceful.

23. Nick Russell says:

I think it’s interesting that at least two comments have referred to Fox news twisting the facts. I get both the east and west cost network feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox). I very seldom watch Fox news. But on the other three networks, out of New York and San Francisco, I have seen protestors cursing at reporters and acting like stoned party animals, coverage of a riot that damaged several small businesses, and a general lack of direction for the movement. Yes, these bad apples may be the extreme, but if the Occupy movement will not take some responsibility for putting a leash on them, this is what we’ll see. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to agree on an agenda and have spokespersons who can explain it.

I don‘t disagree with many of the points raised here, and as I said in the original post, big business and big government is destroying the middle class. But I also do believe that we all need to take some personal responsibility for ourselves and not shift all of the blame for everything in this world to “those faceless rich people.”

24. Bill S. says:

Nick
    I think one of the reasons some – not all – of the “blame” is pointed at “those faceless rich people” is because our system has been designed to favor the rich with tax breaks and loopholes on a false premise that it will trickle down. In fact statistics show a dramatic difference in financial growth between the wealthy and the middle class. The occupy movement is a manifestation of a whole number of inequities which were the result of deregulation of the financial industry, skewed tax codes and a failure to prosecute those who manipulated the system. As Denise described, when we take personal responsibility for our retirement plans only to lose them due to those skewed factors and out and out criminal acts on Wall Street it is hard to accept your admonition.
    Bill

25. Dick Schell says:

Several years ago Bill Gates addressed a class of 7th graders. ONE of his points was when a student said “Life isn’t fair”, he said “You’re right, deal with it”. Sure wish I could find that entire article.
    Is this movement doing any good against Corporate America? Read somewhere the stock market has went up nearly 500 points since the start of Occupy Whatever.
    I have no sympathy for the gimme crowd. Pass a pee in the bottle test and get a job, 2 or 3 if necessary.

26. Rob Fox says:

Come on Bad Nick, I know you’re not dumb. Sure you get it. Perhaps you’re just denying it because it makes it makes you just a little uncomfortable.

What you are witnessing is the beginning of a revolution. You could actually argue that the Tea Party was the start, but they have been lassoed by the standing powers and have effectively become the counter revolutionary force.

As a young nation, America and the American people have been driven by survival, opportunity and self betterment. The nation, as you know it today, has been built on the blood sweat a tears of hard word and the continual inward flow of immigrants. They came because, no matter how hard things were, it was better than where they came from. The opportunities attracted the proverbial “poor and huddled masses” from the old world as well as the academics, engineers, scientists and men of capital. The American people created the “current” greatest nation on this earth. Yes that’s right. Puff out that chest, put your hand over your heart a take just a moment of justifiable pride. You deserve it.

Ok, times up. It’s 2011 and you no longer have a representative democracy. The greatest political experiment of the free man slowly transformed into the old order system that you guys revolted against just 235+ years ago. You have replace the unelected kings, the lords and barons of yesteryear with the new aristocracy. The global corporate CEO, the mega fund manager, the giant industrialist. Fronted by their government proxies. Your beautiful system has been so corrupted that, whilst you appear to have a voting choice, you are simply choosing the lucky winner of a “who can attract the most money” contest.

Wake up. It’s 2011 and the natural expansion upon this nation’s wealth was built has been exploited and it’s gone. Beaver and Buffalo hunted to virtual extinction , vast forests of giant timber clear cut to extinction. Ok, you still have some coal and oil left in the ground but who is going to pay the environmental costs of extraction (that will be you). You have turned into a nation of over 300 million people and you simply do not have the natural resources to fuel and sustain the economy in the way you have grown used to.

Each of the last two times the aristocracy of Europe committed it’s people to the destructive folly of war, the men of capital were ready to exploit Americas last great natural resource. It’s human resource. Capital flowed out of Europe and into the American industrial machine and by the end of 1945 these stateless individuals had all but finished of the job started in the Napoleonic wars. They had shifted power from the people and nation states into the hands of the financiers and the banks. The US domestic economy was the place to be until the oil crisis set off the warning bells – time to look for pastures new.

But much of what America, as a nation,gained has been squandered on the irrational fear of communism, on imperialism (you could have learned from British mistakes) and the failure to build a sustainable domestic economy.

But what would you expect. You can’t imagine that those stateless men of capital would hang around here with their cash when there are fortunes to be made in the new USSR and China, India etc. They are moving out and have been since Nixon shook hands with Mao Zedong. Why pay a man a living wage in the USA when a Chinese man will slave for so much less. Of course this was merely echoing the previous cry of “why pay the English man when the American will work for so much less”.

And so you can see a repeating cycle as the men of capital move from one part of the world to another in order to use their wealth and power to gain more wealth and power. They mercilessly exploit natural and human resources until they are dry and then move on to the next victim. They have no allegiance to any nation state and have only self interest.

These actions have been tolerated in the USA (and previously in the old world) because of the so called trickle down effect. We are told that we should feel fortunate for the jobs created by the risk taking of the wealthy. We were also once told that we should kneel at the feet of kings. We learned a little self respect. I suggest the American people should do the same. There is not a very wealthy man, dead or alive, that didn’t become wealthy but for the toil of other men.

I think that, when defending the American way of life and the notion of capitalism, it is important to differentiate between enterprises that support the communities’ economy and those that just enrich the stock holders. An entity that is sustained by it’s host is generally regarded as a parasite.

We have to differentiate between capitalism, as a stakeholder in communities around the nation, and that of the mega corporation and financier who only has self interest.

You may, by now, think that I’m a raving pinko anti capitalist. Well no. I rather admire the ideas and intellect of Adam Smith and Karl Marx in equal measure. The issue is that protagonists of the two ‘isms fail to see the common ground the two men share. They are blind to the warnings that each man identified. They fail to recognise that the enemy of both doctrines is greed.

If I have anyone approaching hero status it has to be Thomas Paine. He was a radical. He was a champion of the free man and of natural justice. Without him the revolution may never have happened.

Remember that revolution was not a universally popular notion back then. Most were hard at work, thankful for the opportunity that their absentee land-lords had “trickled down” to them. Thomas Paine opened eyes to common sense and those who strive so hard to retain power in the land have done their darnedest to close your eyes again.

I find it particularly sad that, at a time of crisis, ordinary folk are quick to point the finger of blame. Even if you were to round up all the feckless scroungers, welfare rats, single moms, druggies and ne’er-do-wells and ship them off somewhere, you would just realise that you are barking up the wrong tree. They are simply the indicators of the malaise. They are the powerless early victims of the real problems that beset your nation. It’s just that they have not been able to develop your strength; your level of grit and resilience. Those that hold power have always turned brother against brother in order to obscure. Follow the money, follow the power …. find the problem.

The occupy movement isn’t a clearly defined group with a written manifesto. It is a lose collection of people who share the same gut feeling that all is not well at the heart of the nation and that, once again there should be a government of the people, by the people, for the people.

27. Rob Fox says:

On Fox News:

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes ….. when I click my fingers the world will be flat.

Come on folks. Get a grip

28. Bill Daines says:

I really wonder if these protesting (occupy whatever) believe they will actually change things as what happened in other parts of the world? If anything, they should be at our Nations Capital, protesting the Millions if not Billions wasted in campaign contributions. Protest why the little people cannot get elected because of lack of campaign contributions. Money talks, if you don’t have it, your out of luck.
    IMO, money is not everything. When I retired I was asked how I was going to manage. I responded with the same 4 words. (money is not everything). I brouse the help wanted ads and see daily job ads. Infact recently when a farm owner in a southern state said he cannot get legal labor, migrants are the only ones who will work the back breaking jobs!! If I need to survive I’ll dig ditches, pick produce ets. I did it in my teens for spending money.
    So if I want to protest, I’ll protest the United States providing Aid to other Countries when it should be used at home.
    I say to the occupy groups, PLEASE!
    Another good one Nick.
    Bill:)

29. I have to admit that I haven’t read all the comments so I might just be repeating something others have said. The root problem is a government that is too powerful.

If it wasn’t so powerful then corporations, unions, etc. wouldn’t spend millions on lobbyists because there would be no point. Same for groups of voters who elect people to take money from others and give it to them. If the government couldn’t hand out favors, pick winners and losers (or try to), redistribute wealth, run a long term deficit, and so on then we wouldn’t have this problem.

30. Robert says:

Hi Nick. I read this article and thought it might interest you, but didn’t want to infiltrate your Gypsy blog with these politically contentious issues so thought to post it here. Obtw, my occasional Foxnews references aren’t directed at you. I’ve learned to respect and appreciate your research and viewpoint. Thanks for providing this platform. Robert