For the record, I don’t support Obama or Romney, the Democrats or the Republicans, the Liberals or the Conservatives. I prefer to do my own thinking and make my own choices. I live in the gray land somewhere in between, where everything is neither black nor white, and there is room for compromise.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where way too many people don’t have the time for that. It’s much easier to believe whatever drivel shows up on Facebook or in your e-mail.

If you doubt me, all you have to do is look around you. Especially at election time. I cannot believe the insane crap people in both parties not only choose to believe, but insist on sharing with the rest of the world, or the extremes they will go to when anyone dares to say or do something they disagree with.

A perfect example is the recent uproar over the comments by Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy concerning his opposition to gay marriage. There were protests, nasty comments all over the internet, and threats by the gay community to boycott the company’s restaurants. Why? If you disagree with a company’s policies or its spokesman’s stand on an issue, vote with your pocketbook and spend your money somewhere else. But never forget that everyone in this country does have the right to express an opinion, even if you disagree with it.

And now we have the case of Scott Van Nuzer, who owns Big Apple Pizza in Fort Pierce, Florida. Last Sunday Van Nuzer impulsively bear-hugged President Obama when he visited his shop. Almost immediately, nitwits were flooding online restaurant rating websites with negative reviews of the pizza shop, some coming from as far away as Arizona. Comments made it plain that the reviews had nothing to do with the quality of the food, but rather Van Nuzer’s enthusiastic support of the President.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Why trash a man’s business because his politics and yours are different? I’ve seen a lot of comments lately showing support for the courage and dedication of entrepreneurs after Obama’s statements about who built American businesses. But I guess that only counts if that small business owner shares your political viewpoint. Otherwise, let’s run the SOB out of town on a rail. Talk about hypocritical!

On one of the self-publishing internet forums I frequent, there were reports that Obama was stockpiling weapons in Tampa in advance of the Republican National Convention, and when he gave the order, his supporters (mostly black street thugs according to the comments) would rise up and attack the event, killing all of the Republican leadership. This is on the same order of nonsense that claims Obama is going to have United Nations troops occupy America as soon as he is re-elected.

I’d shake my head in amazement at how dumb this thinking is, if I had not heard the same story for as long as I can remember. And both sides are out to get us, so don’t think you can relax after the election. No matter who wins, according to somebody, we’re screwed.

Back in 1991, I owned a small town newspaper in Arizona, and former Special Forces Colonel Bo Gritz came to town to push his far right wing agenda. In an interview with Gritz, he assured me that the New World Order had amassed troops in the country, who were waiting for the order to take control of the government. In case you don’t keep track of who sits in the White House, Republican George H.W. Bush was President back then, and was supposedly in cahoots with the forces of evil.

Well, that didn’t happen, nor did it when Clinton occupied the White House, or George W. Bush, or now Obama. But there are still a lot of wackos who just know every empty warehouse in America is full of troops and tanks still waiting on those orders.

Comedian George Carlin said it best: "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that."

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Comments on George Was Right

1. Chris says:

Amazing how Bad Nick can raise his precious little round head and play both sides against the middle after so much time. Brilliant! (and with just a few days of r and r under his belt)

2. Mark says:

Welcome back Bad Nick. Cant waite for the elections to heat up to contemplate your posts

3. Fred Wishnie says:

You do have a way to get to the kernel Nick. Well said!

4. Jerry Ray says:

Nick hope you don’t mind if I borrow the Carlin quote. If you do please let me know.

5. Steve says:

Good to see you back, Bad Nick.
    The hateful rhetoric is nauseating. I wonder where those who say they want America back want to go? Back to what? Some fictional time when it was good for whom?
    Just for the record, I am an independent supporting Obama this time around for reasons I have very carefully considered.
    I am better off than I was 4 years ago. According to the S&P, so is the economy.
    As a person with a pre-existing medical condition, denied insurance coverage in the past, I embrace Obama Care. I don’t have employer-supported coverage and am still below the age for SS and Medicare. No real retirement, either. I’m not looking for a hand out, just fairness.
    Those who “have theirs” are the ones I see who have conservative leanings.
    It is a different world now and much harder to “get theirs” today.
    Let’s get behind some campaign finance reform. Corporations are not people. Dump Grover Norquist. The government is not a business and should not be run as such.
    Good luck to us all. Especially women.

6. “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that.”

And 30% of them VOTE! :-O

7. Tim Carson says:

Good to see you back Bad Nick, we have needed your open mind and no nonsense view on life. It is a sad commentary on our society when we want to run somebody out of business because they don’t share the same political viewpoint as us. I see the same idiotic posts on Facebook and in my email and I wonder how anybody can be so stupid as to not only believe all of that crap but then forward it on.

8. Pam says:

Great post, Nick.

I had four or five friends on Facebook who kept posting these horribly ugly lies about our President. Just crazy stuff-photoshopped pictures, conspiracy theories, things taken completely out of context like the “you didn’t build that” line, etc. I use to occasionally respond and give them links that debunked their posts but that didn’t stop them. I realized that they don’t even care if it’s true or not, they count on a few people believing it. I finally “unfriended” a few of them. I don’t care who anyone votes for but I have no use for liars.

I never post political stuff on Facebook or send political emails. Don’t these wingnuts realize that for every “like” or “attaboy” they get, there are probably ten people rolling theirs eyes at how foolish they sound?
    The funny thing is, these same people are always making posts about God and telling everyone what devout Christians they are. I guess they have to tell you this all the time because you certainly wouldn’t be able to tell from their actions!

9. CoolJudy says:

Welcome back. I had to laugh at the two AdSense ads that showed up when I read this blog. First one said “Mitt Romney — Official Website” and the other advertised “Politics From Another Perspective”. I know you don’t select the ads that are auto-inserted into the blog, so there must be a coalition of political extremists using SuperPAC funds that have infiltrated Google to control the election outcome by brainwashing your followers. Just sayin’……

10. joe says:

I’m just waiting on the call to tell me which warehouse I need to report to.

11. Brad Barnes says:

Good to have Bad Nick back. He always tells it like it is.

12. Denise Gray says:

Glad that Bad Nick is back. I have missed him! Right again Nick.

13. Bill Daines says:

I sure hope my new polebarn isnt taken over by the government for the stockpile. I’d have to build another for my project, which is a secret!
    I hate dumb people who have no common sense.
    Good one Nick.
    Bill

14. AL Hesselbart says:

Glad to see that a simple bribe like his own personal door prize at the rally woke the ole boy up. welcome back

15. Wayne Aanerud says:

Wow great way to wake up to Bad Nick !! Welcome Back

16. Nana25k says:

Oh Nick I so loved this. I often wonder what people have done with their common sense!!! ( Well I do know but I don’t have a flashlight skinny enough and bright enough to help them go there to retrieve it!) I guess thisis why you were up so early yesterday…your brain was telling you to bring “Bad Nick” back in a hurry.

17. John Brown says:

I sure don’t think our (Canadian) system is a great deal better, but to date the elections, within boundaries, are held at the whim of the Prime Minister and usually we only have about 36 days of warning between when they are called and when they are over. Certainly lessens the time we have to listen to all the rhetoric.

18. Darrell says:

Go Bad Nick, Go!!!

19. sam says:

you are so right , but what I want to know is where was the secret service ? you just can’t bear hug the president. was it pre arranged ?

20. Susie C. says:

I will be SO glad when this election is over, but will that make the tinfoil hat brigade finally shut up? (Probably not). This country has turned into an open-air lunatic asylum.

21. T & R Martin says:

Sam, good to see someone is thinking this through. If it was not pre-arranged, the Secret Service would have been all over that guy like a wet suit—as well it should be.