I have hesitated to post a blog about the Newtown, Connecticut school shooting and the murders of two firefighters in New York until now because I needed to process it all myself. There are no words to explain why these kind of things happen. How can reasonable minds understand the actions of a madman?

As expected, the knee jerk reaction is to ban guns, especially “assault rifles” and high capacity magazines. That’s the easy answer, although it would not change a thing. I am not going to get into the whole gun control debate because everything that could be said has been said, over and over. But I will try to interject some reason into the discussion.

For the record, I am a lifelong gun owner. And horror of all horrors, I actually own not one, but two of the dreaded AR-15s that are being so vilified right now. They are fine rifles and I enjoy target shooting with them. I will not apologize for that, nor will I try to justify it in your eyes. I also recognize that, as a gun owner, I have a responsibility to society to use and secure my firearms properly.

However, if I truly believed that we could save even one innocent life by doing away with guns, I’d get a torch and cut every one I own in half today. But it would not do a thing.

I have owned hundreds of guns in my life, and used even more in the military; handguns, rifles, shotguns, even machineguns. In all of the history of firearms technology, they have never built one yet that has the ability to load itself, drive itself to a school or movie theater, and shoot somebody. So guns, in and of themselves, are not the problem.

Like it or not, we are an armed nation. And no matter what laws are enacted, guns are not going away. There are millions of them in America; the criminal element doesn’t care about the law so they are not going to surrender theirs, and a lot of law abiding gun owners are not going to give theirs up, no matter what anybody says or does. If they placed a total ban on all guns today, I guarantee you there would still be a multitude of firearms of every flavor under store counters, in closets, nightstands, and gun safes in every town in America. That’s reality, folks.

The suggestion has been made that we allow, or even require, teachers and school administrators to be armed. That is nonsense. I have no problem with it IF (and this is a big if) they are properly trained not only in gun safety, but also the tactical use of a firearm in a life or death situation. And there are probably only a small percentage of them who are or will go to the time and expense of getting such training.

What would make sense is to have controlled access to schools just like we do Federal courthouses, with metal detectors and trained guards or police officers. Yes, that will cost a lot of money. Let’s use some of what we give to other countries to make our own nation safer.

Somebody said that this isn’t the answer, that schools should not have to become armed camps and that kids should not have to be exposed to the fear of what might happen in their school next. They said that the solution is to change society. Okay, but society isn’t going to change overnight, or even in our lifetime. So what can we do today? If your house is on fire, you call a fireman, you don’t enter into a debate about what you could have done to prevent the fire. There will be time for that once the fire is out.

The first thing we all need to acknowledge is that evil exists in our world. It always has and it always will. And those who intend to do evil deeds will find a way to do so, whether they use a firearm to kill children in a school classroom, or box cutters to take over an airplane and fly it into a building; or fertilizer to blow up a building. We cannot always stop evil, no matter how much we want to.

No, we cannot always stop evil. What we can do is recognize it and try to deal with it before a tragedy happens. With the school shooter in Connecticut, the maniac who killed the people in a Colorado movie theater recently, and the nutcase that shot Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and other innocents in Tucson, there was prior knowledge that they were troubled. (Troubled is a politically correct word for weird or crazy). But nothing was done about them until it was too late.

So, do we lock up everybody who seems weird to us? And who gets to define weird? Am I weird because I choose to live in a motorhome and travel the country instead of living in a traditional home somewhere? Is somebody else weird because they feel the need to go door to door spreading the word of their chosen religion? How about the old man who sits on his front porch and waves at every car that passes by, or yells at every kid in the neighborhood who comes down the sidewalk? Is he weird?

I don’t have any answers. I wish I did. We cannot stop every evil person in the world from doing harm. But there are things we can do.

We can recognize that when somebody is teetering on the edge, we need to get them help. And failing that, we have to isolate them from society.

And we have to stop the revolving door that our justice system has become. If somebody rapes a woman, molests a child, or commits a murder, they need to be gone, and they should not get a second chance. History has shown us over and over that too many of them will do it all over again.

The man who ambushed the firemen in New York had previously served 18 years in prison for beating his grandmother to death with a hammer. Here in the Orlando area two days ago, a man with a long history of violence, who was released from prison just six days earlier after serving time for murder, stabbed a man in a wheelchair and killed him. The guy who murdered my brother in 1968 was 16 years old. He was released on his 21st birthday, and a year later he stabbed someone. That victim survived, but three years later he was back on the street, and the day he was released he murdered his mother because she would not let him drive her car. When will we ever learn?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Comments on Evil Exists

1. Jim Meacham says:

I think you are right on Nick! A suggestion I heard was to arm and employ returning soldiers at the schools as entrance guards. There are no people better trained than our military and the federal government could spare a few billion actually doing something useful by protecting our children at home instead of funneling taxpayers dollars to other country’s that probably hate us anyway.

2. Norma Johnson (SKP38144) says:

Nick, I couldn’t agree with you more! This needs to be shouted from rooftops, published in newspapers, broadcast on radio and television. It’s the sense I have been waiting to hear since all these nonsensical blasts that blame guns.

3. Linda in NE says:

You’ve said it very well Nick. Evil exists, it strikes randomly and we can’t always act fast enough to prevent it. You’re right too when you say the evil-doess need to be removed from society. One human fault is the belief that everyone can be rehabilitated. They can’t. For some, like those you mentioned, we don’t need more jail cells or more probation officers. We need firing squads. Executions out back of the courthouse the same day they are found guilty. The only way to protect the general populace from such people is to remove them permanently. There’s an old saying, “He needed killin'” and it’s true.

4. Kayjulia says:

When did this mass murdering begin? Where did it all start? Why did it all start? Who started it ? What triggers someone to murder another and to murder people they don’t even know ? How do we stop it? Who has dealt with this problem before? What did they do? How successful was it? Could we do better? All questions and potential solutions should be on the table and the solutions have to be used country wide to be effective. The solutions have to be direct, concise, clear and effective. I would add the solutions have to be supported by the majority of people, so they have to be reasonable and timely. JM2C’W.

5. Nuisance says:

If you sincerely believe what you said (“I don’t have any answers”), it might have been more prudent to keep your thoughts to yourself. Each of us is reacting to this horror in our own way and words, in this context, may also become assault weapons.
    You’ve saddened me during a week when hope and joy should flourish.
    Often, less is more and nothing is everything. Silence is golden.

6. John Huggins says:

Hey Nick,
    This is a thoughtful, articulate statement and probably belongs in a letter to the editor of some liberal newspapers rather than in “Bad Nick.”

7. Kevin says:

Agree completely, Nick. No way will we ever outlaw guns and if we do “only the outlaws will have guns.

Here’s and idea – community armories. When I was in the Marines, we had to keep our rifles and pistols checked into the armory. No problem getting them out, but they were not readily available.

In a community situation, anyone could have a gun but it would have to be housed in an armory. If you want access, it must be scheduled a day or two in advance. Could help diffuse a bad situation or keep the bad guy from getting his mother’s guns.

Let’s hear it…

8. Greg White says:

KayJulia above asks when did the mass murders start?

It started a long time ago.

The worst school mass murder in US history was in 1927 in Bath Township, MI when Andrew Kehoe killed his wife, and then blew up an elementary school, killing 38 children, 6 adults, and injured 58 others, before blowing himself up too.

As Bad Nick says, Evil Exists.

9. Robert says:

Good missive Nick. I agree with most if not all that you say. I don’t know if there is one direct answer to help secure our schools or our society in general from these crazed individuals in the short term, but one thing I don’t hear discusssed in remedial thinking toward a longer term comprehensive solution is the repeal in 1981 of the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. Carter had built on reforms in the area of mental health set in motion by the JFK administration and his bill which was thought to be a landmark of health care policy passed with an overwhelming majority. When Reagan came in he completely defunded it putting a halt to and basically reversing all the progress that had been made…
    This being said, I’ve always been a second amendment advocate and historically have sided more with the NRA in protecting our rights with regard to it, but this shooting in Newtown has cause my thinking to change. There are certainly loopholes in the regulations with regard to 2nd hand sales and background checks that can be tightened and I’m no longer opposed to even more restrictions being discussed. But as I said, what we need is a comprehsnsive solution of which no small part should be our approach to diagnosis and treatment of the mentally ill.

10. Barry Crocker says:

Yup! There you go Nuiance.

11. Francis Callahan says:

You are right we don’t execute the right people they say it cost too much money but if they took them out back put a round in thier head it would be verry cheap. We should use all the forign aid money to put into the security of our schools.anti gun people just don’t live in the real world they are also idiots mostly left wingers and not real americans Happy New years to you and Ms Terry

12. KD says:

Banning guns is not the answer. The guns alone kill no one. If banning guns will solve the problem then maybe we need to ban cars. Many thousands of innocent people die in car accidents a year.

13. Norma says:

Spot on, Nick! And Amen! I have a friend with a daughter who is deeply “troubled” and is probably a danger to her mother with whom she lives, and society in general. She should be in an institution, but there is not one which will accept her. We pay so much money to instutionalize non-violent criminals, and yet there is no place for people who are truly a danger to society.

14. Al Hesselbart says:

I must be weird too since this time I agree with everything you said. Like you, part of my service time was spent as a firearms instructor teaching both marksmanship and safety. I also spent some time as a substitute teacher and every high school and jr high I worked in had armed police on board (never worked in an elementary). Armed with both tasers and firearms. on multiple occasions I saw tasers used but never a firearm – I fully believe that is because they were present and visible. And yes it is true that Nick is in Florida and just like always it will warm up as soon as he heads west. I say he because I dont think Terry has anything to do with this cold spell.

15. Dave Mingus says:

I agree with you Nick on everything and the way you put it. Well wrote and with good understanding. We already have so many gun laws that more is not going to change the Evil. Enforcing existing laws would be a good start. Taking care of Evil in the first place would be another area we need to work with. Such as sentences for murder of life without parole. Here we are spending good money on these scumbags ( I’ve heard figures of $35,000 a year to house and feed them) but yet we don’t have money to protect our schools? Something is just wrong here. They have killed!! End there miserable life! And as you have stated spend money on our sicko’s in the world that are obviuosly in need of Mental Health Care. So many things that exist are there but yet we want to make more laws. Evil does exist, plain and simple!

16. Bess Weber says:

To Kevin,
    So Kevin your saying that when a home invasion happens at my house I should have alerted the Armory that I would need my gun on Thursday so I can protect my family .Now that makes sense?!?!

17. Dave K says:

As always Bad Nick is well written. He has been there and done that !”Defended his home against invasion”.
    Please allow me to leave you with this,
    ROCKS! KILL GIANTS

18. Jim says:

I agree with much of what you say, but you can not have a discussion of gun safety and violence without talking about guns. More armed guards are not the answer because we don’t know where to put them, schools, malls, theaters? All I am asking for is some better enforcement. I just heard that 1 in 14 Floridians has a CC permit, but those permits are issued by the agriculture dept so they have no access to the FBI criminal data base. This just does not make sense to me. It is a complex emotional issue that needs to be discussed. 85% of the world’s guns deaths are in the USA. This need to change.

19. Crime pays says:

I must touch on this subject a little bit as well. First there are thousands + of these assault weapons out there. Yet less than a handful has ever been used for evil. There are millions of box cutters out there as well yet I haven’t seen one person call for a ban on them. What’s up with that?

Now as for execution, say what you want but it is still less than the cost of housing one forever. Now that being said, for all the liberals out there that applies only to those who have been convicted beyond a reasonable doubt. All the rest that may be questionable can have life without parole.

Now for those who are mentally unstable. That always boils down to a dollar and cents value. Fact of the matter is, it cost mega dollars to treat them and the laws have been changed, by liberals so that they cannot be housed for ever like a criminal can.

20. Jim Walter says:

Nick, I’m an advocate of the 2nd amendment, and I own a gun for protection. I even used to belong to the NRA (before they became even too political for me). However, I’m conflicted about his issue. Here’s some data, which you and many of your readers may already know…

Guns per 100 pop. Gun deaths per 100K
    U.S. 89 10.2
    Canada 31 4.78
    UK 6.2 0.25
    Japan 0.6 0.07

What does this mean? I don’t know… but although “guns don’t kill people, etc.” is true, but certainly the “availability” of guns must have an effect. And for those who think violent video games are the culprit, recent stats show that video game spending is roughly equal among the major 1st world countries (with Japan one of the highest). And not to open another can of worms, but does the 2nd amendment mean you can own all the guns you want, and of any type? If so, are there any limits to the “happiness” you’re entitled to pursue (life, liberty and the pursuit of “happiness”)? What if some actions objectionable to society make you “happy.” I’m just askin’.

21. William says:

HI Nuisance,

If silence is golden why are you writing about your thoughts???

22. Nick, as always you are the voice of reason in an emotional world. Too bad logic can’t successfully argue against emotion — neither side hears the reality of the other one. We are not gun people, but we understand that the 2nd amendment is the law of the land. All we have to do is separate the guns from the people who would use them badly. Sure. Hoe the hell are we ever gonna do that?

23. Connie Bradish says:

This is a mental health issue. Having dealt with the broken metal health system trying to help a family member and as a retired teacher, I can tell you that these types of troubled people show signs of problems, need help and we as a nation are NOT helping them. So the carnage will continue even if you take away “guns.” The insane and that’s what you have to be if you commit these kind of crimes will find other weapons to kill people. The list is long of other atrocities committed using other weapons besides guns.
    The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to arm the citizens against a government gone bad. Thomas Jefferson said, “No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms” and George Washington said, “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” The founding father’s understood what they were talking about. Perhaps we need to listen to them.

24. TIM WHITTLE says:

I agree with much of what Bad Nick has said. I am not a gun owner and don’t wish to own one, however I spent 40 years of my life carrying a gun in the military and in my career in law enforcement. Arming teachers is a “joke” that will only end badly. Law enforcement officers go through rigorous training in weapons proficiency, safety and target identification on a semi-annual basis, and yes, mistakes are still made. Putting an armed guard/officer in a school will not be a deterent to some crazy intent on killing people and himself. They would likely relish the challenge of killing as many as they could before going down in a hail of bullets. Save having to do it themselves, which they are quite successful at completing. Armed guards could either save lives or could make the situation even worse. Cost is often a consideration. How about we place a federal TAX on firearms and ammunition that could pay for having armed police officers in schools until we can agree on a way to keeps guns out of the hands of crazys.

25. Paul says:

Jim, You left out Switzerland in your stats. Every household has at least one military grade riffle in it along with the appropriate ammo since all males must serve in the military. They have one of the largest militias in Europe.

The fire arm death rate is 3.5 per 100, 000. I too believe that we have a mental health issue on our hands.

26. George Loutzenhiser says:

Thanks Nick, you hit it right on the head. Evil exsists and regardless of what we do or say it will untill the end of time. People need to be aware of the people aroud them and ensure that indivuals that show a tendancy to violence be be restricted in what they do and where they are allowed to go. Mental health experts realy ned to step up to the plate and put restrictions on indivuals with violent tendancys. No amount of gun control will eliminate these types of violence from happening.

27. oilcanwillie says:

The first day I landed in Vietnam,we had to go to the armory and
    get a tag for a firearm. I asked for my choice, a grease gun.No No NO it dosen’t work that way ! first you get this tag, then when there is an alert,you run up here ,stand in line exchange the tag for your your grease gun,run another four blocks down where they keep the ammo and then back to the hanger where you defend your aircraft! Not wanting to miss all the action I gave
    back my tag and said ,NO THANKS I’ll just get under the pool table untill every thing returns to normal ! keeping guns locked up and unavailable is like not having one !!!!!!! oilcan

28. Bill Daines says:

Go Nick Go!!
    During my LE career I saw people not willing to get involved.
    I saw mentally ill individuals on medication, to control their illness, alter behavior. I Saw those same individuals lined up to receive their meds and later saw the same ones who were trusted to self administer their own and the same ones deciding they didn’t need the medication because they didn’t like how they felt.
    I’m sorry,
    we have closed our institutions, rely on private organizations to oversee and house the mentally ill.(Group homes and apartments). Those in the private sector are forbidden from physical contact and force feed medications. And believe me some are in need of the force feed of medication and confinement.
    Most of the mass violence have raised red flags before hand. If information was relayed and action taken some violence would have been prevented.
    We can have armed officers in schools, one entrance to enter only. Walk thru metal detectors.
    Inconvenience, time consuming scarry for the students? Yes, but we have to do what ever it takes to make our kids safe in schools. It takes money! do we want to pay more in taxes? No, but the money comes from Where?
    We have gun laws on the books for convicted felons. Why are they not enforced? Our prisons are full. The cost is so enormous that prisons close, correction officers, probation officers and LEO’s are in a steep decline.
    Why? We have no money to fund this. We give billions to other countries and we are involved all over the world with our military. So what can we do? Gun control, better background checks which should include family members for any issues, medical or charged and or conviction of serious crimes. The answer is not setting limits on type or number of firearms. It comes down to enforcing, incarceration and not turning a head the other way and ignore. Gosh I can go on and on. Bill

29. Croft says:

Nick, sometimes an argument has to be taken to the extreme to make a point.

There has not been one case of a private citizen having exploded a thermal nuclear device in a home, theater, school or any where else. Why? Because private ownership of nuclear weapons is illegal. If private ownership of nuclear weapons was allowed and the fairly simple instructions for making one were available on the Internet or the devices themselves could be legally purchased, would you be willing to take the risk that such weapons would be held safely by their owners and would be no threat to neighbors?

Well, that is exactly how I feel about guns. Even if my neighbor keeps his weapon in a gun safe and is otherwise responsible, there are thousands of other owners who are not. I do not want to see another innocent person killed by the accidental or intentional discharge of a privately owned gun. I do not own one and no one in my family owns one. There has never been a time when any of us has regretted this choice. I have called the police twice in my life to report suspicious activity and they have arrived in time to defuse the situations safely. That is their job, not mine or yours.

Yes, evil exists as does insanity. A perfectly sane person can turn insane overnight. I do not want that person to have access to a weapon. Also, most children know where guns are stored in the home and many of these children know where the key to the gun safe is or which drawer the gun is in. Even very young kids are very observant and are not dumb. How many children have taken dad’s gun to school for show and tell? Many. Some of these guns were loaded and one even took a live hand grenade.

Australia is currently making efforts to decrease their already low levels of gun violence. One of their efforts if to introduce a mandatory 28 day application process on all weapons including air rifles and paint ball devices. I think they should have included realistic looking toys.

I applaud their efforts and think they should be used as a guideline for making the USA a safer place.

30. Marilu Neally says:

Very well thought out and writeten Nick. I don’t have a gun and that is my choice. My grown sons have guns and took the gun safety courses when they were teenagers and my daughter received her training in the Air Force. I agree with your article 100% and think it should be on the front page of every newspaper around. Keep up the good work!

31. Elizabeth says:

My hubby and I were in Jerusalem a couple years ago…never felt safer in my life…LOTS of guns seen and not just on those in the military…and yes, when you entered stores, etc your purse was checked and you had to go past a metal detector. So what? EVERYONE has to do this. Trouble with gun control is that NOT everyone will give up theirs. Seems if we COULD all do it, yep even clear up to those around the Oval office, that WOULD BE another story…ain’t gonna happen among the rich and famous, folks. The root of the problem is our society. And mental illness will remain a problem so long as life endures…and how we deal with that. No easy answers. No quick solutions. Seems no one cares to look into the history of the countries who did lay down arms. I personally do not shoot (not because I am not a good shot…at least years ago during target practice, I hit dead on…but because I am a klutz who would more likely hurt myself or someone else I did not mean to hit). But by no means do I wish those who can carry well, to quit so doing. One reason our country has not completely yet gone to hell in a handbasket…tho, IMHO tis well on the way!!

32. Vickie says:

It’s kind of like the question which came first, the chicken or the egg. In this instance we have so many issues to take into consideration on how these mass killings, or any killings, can be stopped. Norma from above hits on a very vital point. There are people out there who need mental health treatments but are not addressed for whatever reason. I’ve seen a nephew who pushed his elderly parents into the wall. He was banned from visiting them in private and could only see them in a public setting. I know another son who threatened his father with beating him up because his father wouldn’t agree to rent a storage unit for him. These issues need to be addressed. If someone doesn’t have any respect for others and can do harm to them on a whim or a temper tantrum, what have we got to fight back with? I’m like the majority of this nation…I don’t have any answers. However, unlike the majority of the nation I will not stop asking questions and seeking answers…even if it depresses someone. Let’s not turn this into a political argument like it’s because of left wing liberals, etc., and let’s make sure we don’t cross the fine line of helping or holding someone hostage.

33. Jodie S. says:

I worked in the mental health system with the most seriously ill for years and I agree 100% with Robert, Connie, and Bill above.

There was a time, prior to the sixties, when it was much too easy to commit people to mental institutions against their wills. Now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction.

Although the standard for commitment in most states is “danger to self or others”, in practice, this means the person must be practically holding the gun or knife in his hand, ready to use it on himself or someone else.

One of the symptoms of psychotic illness is not believing you are ill or need medicine. Outpatient commitment is a way to force patients to get treatment and take their meds under the threat of jail time. But it is very difficult to get. I believe easier access to outpatient commitment could prevent crimes in cases where people know a person needs help but can’t convince them to get treatment.

There is very little money to be made caring for the severely mentally ill. So the lack of care is a dollars and cents issue.
    When I was working, it was common for patients in crisis to be released from the hospital long before they were stabilized on their medications. And these patients were expected to be responsible enough to continue on their medications and keep follow up appointments!

I could go on and on about this. A good source of information is the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI).

But I want to add that I appreciate the conciliatory tone of your post, Nick. What bothers me most about the discussions since Newtown, are the people who dig in their heels and insist that it’s their way or the highway. We all have our opinions. Good manners goes a long way.

34. Susan says:

Well written, logical and it makes sense. Good job, Nick.

35. Nick,
    I’d like to commend you on your common sense approach to this very big issue that’s facing us today as gun owners. There are so many more issues here to handle before going after the guns.

You mentioned the mental health aspect among other issues and that is a spot on assessment. As a police officer I dealt with the mental health system all the time and was very disappointed with how the “consumers” were shuffled about without any real solution to their issues. Many I encountered were violent people with extensive criminal backgrounds that for some reason were sent back out onto the street with no real accountability or plan for their treatment and care. At most they are released with a full prescription bottle of psychotropic mood modifying drugs that they can’t afford on their own. This results in these individuals constantly committing crimes and finding themselves in jail and mental institutions only to repeat the process all over again when their medicaid funding ends or they find a group home to live in for long term care or they finally commit a crime that will land them a long stretch in prison. This is the best laid plan that the government can come up with.

You also mentioned the responsibility associated with gun owners. I am a huge advocate of being responsible with your firearms. Owning such a tool is not a decision to be taken lightly. Any kind of negligence with a firearm can result with all kinds of unintended consequences. We as responsible gun owners should do everything in our power to prevent them from falling into the hands of criminals and those that are unable to use them safely. We have to do everything we can to demonstrate our level of responsibility every day as gun owners and not give any reasons to doubt us. Training is so important as a gun owner. Training in safe operation of the firearm, training in the accurate use of the firearm and training in the safe storage of the firearm. These are all things to continue to do no matter the level of experience. These are all things to consider as we move forward in these uncertain times.

36. Butch & Fonda says:

Croft,

Not a valid argument. Nuclear devices are neither cheap or easy to make nor are the materials readily available.

All bomb making is illegal, but that didn’t prevent someone from mixing a load of fertilizer and diesel fuel and blowing up the Federal Building in OK.

37. Don says:

Well said. just tell like it is

38. Bob Plaskon says:

Greg White put it best in one of his recent blogs. Why is it OK to have armed guards in just about all federal, state, and county office buildings to protect our politicians, yet people have a problem with protecting our childred in the same way? We can’t be saying who’s more important, are we? We’re in a different world now and must make adjustments to fit the times.

39. Paul Stough says:

So we fortify our schools, and protect them with properly trained armed guards, so then the wacko who wants to kill kids just fires up a loaded school bus. What do you do about that?

Paul

40. Bill says:

With some “rights” comes sacrifice. For example, some think the loss of lives is a justifiable sacrifice of war. In Newtown 20 children and 6 teachers were killed. Twenty children were mowed down by an assault weapon. Twenty children! They are the most recent sacrifice of the “right to keep and bear.” So Nick, it looks like another sacrifice has been made for you to keep your two AR-15’s. Is it worth it?

41. Nick Russell says:

Bill, my two AR-15s and those of millions of other responsible gun owners were not involved. There were 9,878 drunk driving fatalities in 2011. Was your right to own a car or buy alcohol worth it?

42. Bill says:

Seriously? You are equating a car to an assault weapon? There are way more laws, regulations, licensing and restrictions on owning and driving a car than an assault weapon. Even switchblade knifes are regulated or prohibited by federal and state laws.

43. Nick Russell says:

And yet, Bill, with all of those laws, regulations, licenses and restrictions, almost 10,000 people were killed in one year by drunk drivers. So what good did those laws accomplish? People who don’t give a damn for the law will ignore it, whether that law applies to guns, cars, alcohol, or drugs.

44. Paul Stough says:

Why are we even talking about these 26 people! As Nick says almost 10,000 people were killed by drunk drivers, and I believe almost that same number are killed by sober drivers, and over 100,000 people die every year from medical mistakes, and I am sure hundreds of them are kids, and we hear virtually nothing about them!

45. Robert says:

Nick, as I said before, I’ve always been a supporter of a pretty strict adherence to the second amendment and of the NRA to watchdog it for us; that is until our guy Wayne started going off the deep end a few years back… It’s always been clear to me that the writers of our Constitution and Bill of Rights didn’t have hunting in mind when they added the second amendment; they intended the citizenry to always have the ability to keep and bear military style personal arms to help preserve the free state if it ever came to that. The problem now as I see it, is where do we draw the line with what are essentially weapons of mass destruction available today… The extreme though unreasonable example often used is do we go so far as to allow any law abiding citizen to keep a nuke in his garage; an M2 Browning, an rpg or shoulder fired missile? That, and I think maybe the rapidly advancing high pressure and high tech environment our kids are raised in these days make things different and give us cause to revisit this whole deal…
    I also have always thought like you that banning assault rifles or high capacity magazines wouldn’t stop the bad guys from getting them; and as long as they had them then by God the law abiding citizen should be able to have them too… But you know, the other day I had the thought that we banned machine guns I think back in the thirties, and today you don’t hear of them being used in drive-bys or any other crime. So,,, maybe making certain weapons more difficult to come by can work???
    This is a tuff question, and it should be and we shouldn’t take it lightly and act with ‘knee jerked’ reaction. But also as I said in the previous post, this mass shooting of 6 year old kids has caused my thinking to change, and I think it’s time to lay it out on the table to review…