At the risk of continuing the whole gun control debate ad nauseam, I want to put forth what I consider to be the real problem when it comes to violence in America. And I can do it with just one example.

Last week in Loganville, Georgia, there was another shooting with a handgun. But this time, the person pulling the trigger was an armed citizen and the shooting victim was a longtime criminal. Those stories don’t seem to make the national news.

WSB News out of Atlanta reported that Paul Slater, who they say has been arrested at least seven times since 2008, broke into a house where a mother and her two small children were at home.

The report said the mother and her nine-year-old twins retreated to an attic crawl space as Slater used a crowbar to break in. Apparently not content to just steal something and leave, the intruder eventually found the mother and her children in their hiding place. When he opened the door, the woman shot him five times with a .38 revolver. With the intruder down, she then took her children and fled to a neighbor’s house to call police.

Police say Slater managed to get to his car and leave the scene, but soon crashed and was arrested. He was transported to a hospital and listed in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds. Police have charged him with burglary.

It would be easy to say this proves that guns in the hands of private citizens is the answer to crime. At least in this crime a gun was the answer and I salute this brave woman for protecting her home and her children. But let’s address the real problem.

Did you notice that part where news reports said that the perpetrator, Paul Salter, had at least SEVEN previous arrests? So why was he out on the streets committing yet another crime? That’s the real problem in this country, the revolving door that turns this kind of scum loose again and again to prey upon society. How many times do we let a criminal walk before we say enough is enough? Apparently, in Georgia, the number is more than seven.

Pick up any newspaper in the country, turn on any TV news show, or log onto any online news feed and you will find story after story about career criminals who rob, rape, and kill seemingly at will. Not first offenders, but people with long criminal histories that often stretch back to childhood. And yet, we say guns are the problem.

Paul Slater, the repeat criminal in this case, didn’t have a gun but I shudder to think what he might have done to that young mother and her children with his crowbar if she had not been armed and ready to defend herself and her family.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Comments on Here’s The Real Problem

1. Doug says:

The problem is at least partially due to budget problems. The “Justice” system does not have enough money to lock up all of the offenders. So what they do is lock up the violent offenders who use weapons or attack people. The “non-violent” offenders are given probation or released early to re-offend. We need to find a way, maybe like in Maricopa County, where we can lock up all of the offenders.

2. Steve says:

Seems to me I heard this on national news, so it did get reported. More often than this type story, I hear about some kid who gets his/her hands on a gun and proceeds to kill a sibling.
    Guns are a problem, but not THE problem.

Yes, the court system bears a good deal of the blame.
    Will we all be safer if everyone has a gun or five? I suspect not.
    Too bad she didn’t kill the scumbag. He’ll probably sue her for damages.

Privatization of the prison system has actually led to higher costs for incarceration. We have no system to help folks who, with a little assistance, might never end up in jail. We have the highest rate of jailed inmates in the world. What does that say about us?

4. Kerry Wilson says:

This needs to happen more often. Maybe it would put a stop to some of the crimes.

5. Randy Wilson says:

If I had a dollar for every criminal I locked up and saw back on the street the next day, I’d have a much better retirement income! Some of them I locked up 5 or 10 times.

6. Kayjulia says:

I agree with you as far as you go with this theme. The problem is more than a revolving door justice system, that is a problem. The other problem is incarceration is considered punishment enough by our court systems! Another words just being in prison or jail is enough! No expectation is allowed on the convicted person to change their way of dealing with the world and no one can even insist that they get any help to change even if it is made available and in most places it is not available! Instead they get further education in brutality and criminality and ways to squirm out of personal responsibility with lies and violence from their fellow inmates! What do we do now? The U.S. has one of highest incarceration rates by population of any western industrialized countries and yet we get very poor results. We sure as heck don’t get our money’s worth.

7. Linda in NE says:

It’s a real shame she didn’t kill him and save herself and the State of Georgia some money and aggravation. I predict he sues her for everything she has & everything she ever hopes to have, and knowing how stupid the courts can be, he will probably win.

8. Chris says:

Good for her!

9. Sharon Ortloff says:

I have had personal experience with this type and the courts protect the guilty. Criminals have more knowledge than the Police. The child that tried to kill my husband 34 years ago, was incarcerated, got out killed his father went back in, got out and killed again.

10. Spencer says:

It is a shame the amount of money spent to keep all the criminals behind bars. I think we need a “place” or island like The French penal colonies such as “devil’s island” which the movie Pappillon was based upon. Ship them all out there and they fend for themselves.

11. Dave K says:

Ahhhh lets return to the frontier Days of Apache Justice…
    Stake em to a ant hill…..

12. Lynda M says:

I think a lack of personal responsibility and public shame contributes to repeat offenders. The system automatically looks for the “reason” behind the crime (bad childhood, poverty, blah, blah, blah) and assumes it’s not the criminals’ fault he’s such a bad person — it’s society’s fault. There is much to be gained by the criminal in street cred and media attention for criminal behavior and “doing time”. If we put the blame, shame, and responsibility for actions back on the person, as well as sending them to a true prison, as opposed to Club Fed’s with weight rooms, TVs to watch all their favorite sporting events, better medical care than can be obtained on the outside, it might make a difference.

As a side note, if you look at the states that have the highest number of gun ownership, you will also notice they have the lowest number of violent, gun-related crime and deaths.

13. Pat says:

Funny for the day. Just after the first paragraph and the words “give one example” is the ad for ‘find my past’ maybe a suggestion!!:)

14. Francis Callahan says:

if we started to executre the followinf child molesters first time rapist first time drug dealers first time 1st and2nd murder the first time and all 3 time loosers as they never change. Upon being found guilty beyond reason then a trip to the back yard for sashot in the head these people are breaking the tax payers it would also send a message to anyone thinking obout xcomitting a crime

15. Pete Gray says:

Did you see the Pierce Morgan show last night. There was an excellent example of a paranoid, angry man, who should be on any mental health list that prohibits gun ownership. Yet he owns 50 guns.

16. Chris says:

She should trade her .38 in for a .45.

17. Bill Daines says:

All has been said, and I agree. I cannot add to it.
    Good one Nick.
    Bill :)

18. John Quade says:

The base problem is the Justice System & who controls it. The Justice System quit “Serving Citizens” a long long time ago. Today it only serves Judges & Lawyers. The system needs to go into the trash heap lock, stock and barrel head. Then it needs to be reborn with any Judges or Lawyers involved, write laws and processes that actually serve the people/citizens. Those rewritten laws & processes must be understood by the common citizen, and if they require anybody with a “Legal Degree”, the throw it out, start over. Judges & Lawyers today are nothing more or less than “Feather Bedders”, throw the bums out.

19. John Quade says:

Should’ve said “Then it needs to be reborn withOUT any Judges or Lawyers involved, write laws and processes that actually serve the people/citizens.

20. Jason Harshbarger says:

The problem is attorneys that have made an industry out of suing anybody and everybody. So if some punk gets locked up he gets free legal services and can appeal (sue) over and over to get released. And the taxpayer foots the bill! That’s right we pay the attorneys who basically sue all of us to get these guys out on the street again. The same for the mentally ill, who commit a large majority of crimes in America. We provide them free legal services that doesn’t advocate for proper care but instead for release to get into more trouble. If we were to eliminate 75% of the lawyers in the country we’d all be better off!

21. Elizabeth says:

You told the story well…what a crazy world we are living in right now!!

22. Bill says:

“At the risk of continuing the whole gun control debate ad nauseam…”
    You just did.

23. BobH says:

My wife and I are new “almost full time RVers”. Last year when we were preparing for our change in lifestyle, I seriously thought about personal protection. I am not a gun person, but neither am I anti-gun. While I feel sorry for those who live in fear to the degree they have to have a gun at the ready all the time, I am aware that this is still a dangerous world and any reasonable person needs to pay some attention to personal safety.

I love the wilderness and what I fear most out there is the possible results of my own stupidity. I try to be constantly aware that I am intruding in the living space of other creatures.

When not in the wilderness, my chief concern is the crazies within my own species and there are a lot of them. RVers do not just encounter other RVers. There are non-RVers who see the RV and its occupants as a juicy target.

I seriously investigated the pros and cons of owning and carrying a gun. I read two books on gun laws in Ohio — written by lawyers (imagine that). Read another book about carrying a gun in an RV — “Gun laws in 50 states”. Took an introductory course, called “First Shot” at a local shooting range. Here’s where I came down:

Legally carrying a gun is an investment of about $1,000 and a lot of time. Shocked? Consider gun, ammunition, carry permits for two (multiple states), and safety training for two. Surveying the gun laws of several states convinced me that I could not drive any distance across state lines without violating someone’s law, regulation, or prohibition.

I decided that 51 different sets of laws, overzealous cops, criminal-justice systems that don’t work very well, and a host of lawyers anxious to take my money to prosecute me and defend me in case of a Catch-22 violation that is sure to happen is a greater risk to time and treasure than a mugger or a bear.

I opted for two cans of wasp spray — one in my 5th wheel and one in my truck. Wasp spray because it shoots a stream to a range of 25 feet rather than a fog which is easily dispersed by the wind and is only effective at short ranges.

Like my fire extinguishers, I hope I never have to use them but I feel a little safer having them nearby. Safety lies somewhere between paranoia and carelessness.