Happy Fathers Day to all the dad’s out there, whether to your biological children or to those whom you chose to love as your own. I salute you. While it may only take a simple transfer of bodily fluid to become a father, being a dad is something else entirely.

Any male can be a father, but it takes a man to be a dad. I was very fortunate to have had a dad who taught me right from wrong, who taught me to respect other people and, most importantly, who taught me to follow my dreams. My dad always told me I could accomplish anything I wanted in life if I was willing to work hard enough and to make the sacrifices it took to make those dreams come true.

My dad also gave me a work ethic. My first job was working at Mr. Tsakos’ corner gas station for a summer. I begged my dad to intercede on my behalf when the old Greek businessman didn’t want to hire a kid, because kids were unreliable. Then a week or two later all of my friends were having fun on summer vacation and I decided I wanted to play too, so I told dad I was quitting the job. He told me that I could either go to work every day, as I had promised Mr. Tsakos, or I could spend those eight hours a day in my room (way before a kid’s room had computers and TVs), but I wasn’t going to goof off after he had given his word I’d be on the job. I earned quite a bit of money that summer, working for Mr. Tsakos and came away with a work ethic too.

It’s been many years since we laid my dad to rest, but I still miss him every day. And I still remember the lessons he taught me. I’ve had a little bit of success in my life as a journalist and author, and my dad didn’t live long enough to see that, but I think he’d be very proud of me if he were still here. I could write a hundred more books and make a fortune, but to me, the ultimate success would be if someday my own kids were to think of me with the same love and respect I hold for my dad.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad. I miss you.

Check Out Nick’s E-Books In Our E-Book Store

Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments on Happy Dad’s Day

1. Elizabeth says:

You are so blessed to have had such a dad!! Frankly, tho’ I did not wish my dad to die, still is has been a relief. My blood pressure has even come down. Your dad sounds like my fabulous mother…so I well know how much you surely miss him…I miss her every day!!

2. Jim Sathe says:

You are indeed fortunate to have had a father that was a good role model and gave you good advice on ethics and living right. I did not have such a father and now at 68 years of age, am realizing how difficult it was to figure out things for myself that a father like yours could have taught me.

BTW, we are also in the Denver area, came here from Albuquerque and are headed towards South Dakota. Some day we may end up in the same campground and I will get a chance to shake your hand.

3. Rod Ivers says:

Nice post Nick….. your dad would be proud….

Great post Nick. I also had a father that was a role model and an inspiration. He taught me a good work ethic. I was given a small allowance or pay for doing many chores around the house until I was 10. I started delivering newspapers around town for 3 years until we moved. Dad made sure that I did not skip a day or a customer regardless of the weather. When ther was a blizzard he would drive me down the plowed streets and watch me as I trudged up to the houses. When I was sick in bed my sister or brother would fill in for me but the papers were always delivered on time. This work ethic continued throughout my life. “Don’t expect something for nothing” He also taught me the importance of God,family and country in that order. I went to college and got into a group that was against the VietNam war. After I left college and was eligible for the draft I had a choice: go to Canada and avoid the draft or go into the military. I ended up serving 2 tours in VietNam. I am a man of principle but to me my country was a higher priority than my feelings about the war. My dad kept in contact with me through all the hard times I faced until he passed away. He would give me wise advise if I asked for it and when I did not ask I usually learned things the hard way. I feel blessed to have had a dad that loved God, family and country. I hope my children can say the same about me.

5. Kayjulia says:

I wish I had a father like yours Nick, mine was a drunk and although he didn’t abuse me he wasn’t much help either. I had to learn things on my own through the “School Of Hard Knocks”. Because of his drunkenness we lived a very poor life always on the edge of either being thrown out of our apartment or missing a meal. When I joined the Army I thought I had hit the Jackpot! My mother wasn’t much better as she was a mental case most likely bi-polar. Life at home was stressful at best the Army was for the most part darn good living in comparison. I often wondered what I missed having such troublesome parents, that doesn’t matter now being in my so called “Golden Years”. I have compassion for children that have been abused, neglected or rejected as I know what they feel.

6. Nanasknoll says:

I to had a great dad that taught me a work ethic even if I was a stay at home mom. I worked continually. Taking care of my husband, my kids, helping my in-laws who lived on same property, canning, sewing. You name to do the things that would make my dad proud of me. He once told me he was.
    My husband was a great dad too as well as his dad. My son is a great dad and has a work ethic that his dad and grandpa taught him. The work ethic is a precious thing now a days according to my son, who all he sees is people complaining about their jobs.
    My dad passed away 2 years ago in Aug. I miss him very much too.