Maybe it’s just me, but did you ever notice that quite often, those who complain about something the loudest are the worst offenders?

I was reminded of that again recently when I read a news story from Katy, Texas, in which a family complained that they were disrespected by the manager of an Applebee’s restaurant when they were asked to leave because their children were misbehaving.

According to the news story, Lillian Maliti, Eli Gau, and their children were dining at the restaurant and the young children were running around disturbing other customers. When they would not discipline the kids, they were asked to leave and an argument ensued. An employee of the restaurant called the police at 10 p.m. and a few minutes later the father, Eli Gau also called police from the parking lot, saying he felt threatened. The mother said she felt disrespected and said, "This has never happened in my life."

Police responded but no citations were issued to any of the parties involved.

Gau admits that the children, 3 year old Ryan and 1 year old Ethan, were “active,” and that they “act like children." Other diners went further, to describe the kids as “running around the restaurant screaming at guests as they tried to enjoy their meals.” Customer Randal Smith was quoted as saying, “Then the parents raised hell in front of the whole restaurant.”

And, of course, because the couple and their children are black, the race card came into play. How could it not? And it should come as no surprise that in our politically correct world, Applebee’s is falling all over itself to kiss ass and make nice. The company issued a statement that said, in part, "Our franchise owner-operator has apologized to the guest and invited the party back into their restaurant to demonstrate the standard of service each of our guests deserve to receive during every visit.”

What a bunch of BS! How about apologizing to the rest of your customers who could not enjoy their meal in peace because this couple refuse to teach their children manners or make them behave appropriately in a public place? I’ve had more than one meal ruined by uncontrolled kids running wild in a restaurant and I don’t appreciate it. I was also a single father and my kids knew better than to every try something like that. In fact, it would have never entered their minds because they were taught right from wrong and how to behave from the very beginning.

Lillian Maliti feels “disrespected?” How about the other diners whose meals were ruined by having to listen to all of this? Again, did you ever notice that quite often, those who complain about something the loudest are the worst offenders?

Nobody has ever called Lillian Maliti to task for her or her children’s bad behavior in the past? Well, maybe it’s about time!

This attitude is a big part of what is wrong in our society, from Congress to schools to homes. Nobody ever has to take any responsibility for their actions or deal with any consequences for them. Why, it would be rude to tell somebody to sit down in their seat, shut their mouth, and act like a civilized human being!

What Applebees should do is ban this couple and their children from their restaurant forever instead of rewarding and encouraging them to come back with their little hellions.

You want respect? Than earn it by treating others with respect. It’s that simple, whether you’re black, white or green.

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Comments on Respect

1. Jim Roach says:

Unfortunately, as you read the news, this is becoming far too common, especially with the race card being thrown. I find it amazing how people conduct themselves in public. Of course I find a lot of things amazing, such as, why would anyone enroll their kids in public schools? Phony curriculums, made up facts, every time you read the news you hear about some teacher having sex with students (ok, maybe not every time, but a least once a week. Muslim poems read in school, but not the pledge of Allegiance.

I guarantee, had I mis-behaved in public, I would be on a collision course with my dad’s leather belt!

2. Jim Roach says:

Oh and by the way…. What is taking so long with another big lake book, I mean really?

3. Jerry says:

Respect is not something that is demanded. Respect is something earned. How does a person earn respect? A person earns respect by showing respect towards others. That can only happen when a person stops thinking inwardly. It is not about me, it is about respecting others first.

4. Barbara says:

I sent someone a refusal that I wasn’t interested and got a message back was it because I was Native. I didn’t know this person from Adam. I am beginning to think us whities should start crying discrimination every one else does.

5. Mister Ed says:

It sure would be nice to see the apple-bee,s in house video on you tube as a training and quality assurance purposes
    to see if one qualifys as a bad parenting which would kick in funding to hand out a 24 pack of Budweiser
    a carton of Marlboro reds (to help the incentive ) and get Tham 2 free sterilization coupon
    However with my way of thinking ,the 12 page testing would have started at some point in grade school

6. squirrel says:

What were a three year old and a one year old doing in a restaurant at ten p.m.?

7. Nevada Dave says:

I totally agree with Jim’s comments..Any further comments about this are not fit for print.

8. Karen says:

When my children were 2, 3, and 5, we went to Florida on vacation. We arrived late in the day, starving, and went to what we thought was a casual restaurant. When we got inside and were seated, we looked around and saw that the other guests were dressed up in suits and dresses, some women even in long evening gowns. I was embarrassed to be there in my shorts and flip flops, but since the children were hungry and we were already seated, we went ahead and ordered.

My children sat in there seats, never whimpered or cried, ate their dinner when it was served. I was never more proud as a parent that they knew how to behave in a restaurant.

As one couple left, the man stopped at our table and told my husband and me that he just knew when he saw us come in that his night was ruined but at we had proved him wrong, and picked up the tab for our family’s meal. I will never forget that night.

Now, when I go out for dinner, almost every time there are families whose children should be in a zoo, and never taken out in public, but their parents are oblivious to their behavior. It just seems to get worse every year. I do not understand how people can let their children act the way they do.

9. Jason says:

The saddest thing about all this is these kids will then have kids of their own that will raise their kids the same way. It’s a snowball effect that’s been going on for a while now and I don’t see it getting any better.

We no longer go to Applebee’s because of a similar situation with a table of loud women who were celebrating the win of their daughters’ cheerleading team. When we spoke to the manager he offered to move us but never once was it offered that they would speak to the women and ask them to lower their volume.
    Our children were taught to respect others and that included proper behavior in a restaurant. I am so saddened to see how little respect so many people have for others.

11. Ken Pace says:

You are again correct. I have been in situations like that and I have given the manager my name and number so I can support him to his superiors in case he gets in trouble. I also give it to the police as an eye witness as a supporter of the manager.

12. Connie Beckes says:

Perfectly written, as always, and I agree 100% as we have also had many a meal ruined because parents could not/would not control their children. Applebee’s apology was totally unwarranted.

13. Rosalind Clifton says:

Right on again Nick. I, too, wonder why people had small children at a restaurant that late at night. If there was a legitimate reason they had to eat that late seems like take out or a drive through would have been a better choice for all.

My four grandchildren are very respectful and well behaved now but there were some times when they were younger when they would go through a stage where my daughter would tell me ‘we do not take her/him out to eat until she/he learns how to act.’ When my grandson was younger my daughter yanked him up and they left a much anticipated outdoor event because of his behavior.

14. Ron says:

Fully agree with you Nick.
    We have seven (7) children; from the same marriage and we were never ashamed of their behavior. We received compliments so many times about the way they behaved and the respect they demonstrated towards others. It’s the parents responsibility to educate their children about respect and obviously those parents did not understand and or worse did not lead by example.

15. Elaine Loscher says:

We have also had experiences with out of control screaming brats. White black or pink it does not matter the color of the brats,then again we had a great experience the other day when we stopped for lunch in Hot Springs SD. The family across from us had a young child in a high chair, we said hello to the family and ordered our meal, the young child was noisy and kept trying to get our attention by trying to take things off our table, the mother immediately put her arms around him told him no. Apologized for his behavior, all of us realized this child was autistic mom kept her arm around him the entire meal so we could enjoy ours. Parents our the problem period amen. Kids need discipline period We raised three kids who knew what would happen when the acted up it was swift and they learned. As for the race card, maybe us white folks should start yelling discrimination since we are the minority now. Will never happen.

16. George Stoltz says:

Common sense prevails. Too bad these parents don’t have any. Another fine blog, Nick.

17. Francis Callahan says:

I would of been all over the parents in a very loud voice about the behavior of there little brats and also made them look really stupid I have a real nasty way of insulting peo0ple who deserve it we don’t go to Applebays as the food is really not that great and they seem to always have some jocks loud mouth jocks making a lot of noise

18. Karen says:

I think everyone has had at least one meal at a restaurant ruined by bratty children and parents that don’t ‘parent’. Since the restaurants rarely, if ever, do anything about it I think it is time for the customers to take actions by not paying for their meals and to let the restaurant know why. maybe something could be said ahead of time, maybe “I will not be paying for this meal if you don’t do something about that family that is ruining everyone’s meal”. Then give, not leave on the table, a large cash tip for the waitress since it is usually as hard or harder on them than anyone else. I am sick to death of bad parenting and an very worried about what sort of adults these naughty children will become! By the way, I always make a point of complementing parents of children who behave in restaurants.

19. Dave says:

Once again Nick, a great post and you make entirely to much sense. The world isn’t ready for common sense anymore and if anything is being taught anymore it’s more along the line of Disrespect! And the race card is just common practice anymore. Sad sad sad!!!

20. Linda in NE says:

Amen, Nick.
    The race card has gotten so old and tiresome. Skin color shouldn’t make any difference in acting like a civilized person….and keeping your children under control so those around you can enjoy their meal in peace.

21. Dave says:

Nick you have said it so well!

22. Elizabeth says:

And what was their excuse for having the children out and up so late?? But then people with bad manners who do not mind letting their children (or themselves) bother other people seem to be this way too…we live under a dame right now that lets her (I assume grandchildren) stay up and be loud well after midnight. So glad we are only here a few more weeks!! YIPPEE!! It is at least neglect that they are up so late…if not more…

23. Barb Scrafield says:

My husband and I have had the same experiences while eating out. We now ask to be moved if possible.. However sometimes that is not an option. The most recent was a pretty expensive Japanese restaurant. The Benny Hanna type where the cook entertains while he prepares your dinner.. Our group of adults were seated next to a family with a 2yr old and 3 yrs olds who were not happy to be there nor were they entertained..

They were loud, noisy, screaming and moving about constantly. We were prepared to have the whole evening ruined but thank heavens the family was almost finished with their dinner..

These meals are rather expensive we we always are amazed the folks can afford to take little ones out to one of these high end places to eat.

24. jeff savournin says:

I have never had a problem getting into a parents face when they will or cannot control the family…probably get shot one day, but almost always works..And, I am not nice about it..

25. Connie Bradish says:

Using the race card is becoming sickening. The whole problem was children out of control. I pay to go to a restaurant just like every other person in the restaurant. I do not pay to listen to screaming brats of what ever color. Time to stop the PC police and become fair to everyone. If you and your children are offensive and will not stop being offensive, out you go, period. Color is unimportant, behavior and politeness are what is important. I thought this was America. What has happened to we are all equal and all equally responsible for our actions, no matter what our ethnicity is?

26. Bob Moritz says:

Nick I’m afraid its not only happening in a restaurant but in retail stores too. We have a retail store and you couldn’t believe some of the parents. They let the kids run all around touching and rearanging every thing. he parents just let them run. We have taken the kids by the hand and sat them down and told them to stay there. The parents get upset because we correct there kids.
    And in a restaurant have you ever seen the mess kids make on the floor and the parents never say a thing. Wonder what the do at home

27. Shannon says:

I am so sick of people using the race card!! You are 100% correct Nick! Amen!

28. Dave W says:

Anymore the parents don’t want to be or don’t know how to be Parents. They want to be their friends. There is no discipline because of all the laws that were made during the,”GIVE EVERYONE A BLUE Ribbon GENERATION”.

Because of that if the kids don’t get their way they throw a fit and know by then they will get away with it. Some even look at you and say isn’t that cute”.

I say no that isn’t cute and you need to take them outside and have a talk with them and hey , Maybe teach them some manors at the same time. Just a thought I had!…

My Dad would say ,”you will not go next time if you continue to do that. Or my mother would take us by the hand outside and get in the car with us until dad would come out before the meal was over, and we knew him not saying anything was worse. That was all it took.