I know I’m going to ruffle some feathers here, but what the heck, that’s what Bad Nick does best, right? So here goes and I am 100% serious in what I’m going to ask below.

I have a lot of friends and family members who are very devout in their religious beliefs, be they Christians, Jews, or whatever. I’m not talking about what my dad used to call Sunday Morning Christians, who will backstab you on Saturday but pray for you on Sunday. No, these are people who truly believe in and live by their religions’ values. And I respect their right to worship in whatever way they choose to.

But I have a question. And again, I’m not trying to be blasphemous or disrespectful. I’m really not. Many of these people tell me that they believe that God has a plan for all of us and that we need to trust him and know that we are all in his hands; that he has a reason for everything that happens. But a lot of them are quick to complain about President Obama, call him names, and swear that he and his Affordable Care Act are the ruination of this country. But how can that be?

If you truly believe that God is in charge and that we are all created by him, then aren’t President Obama and the ACA part of God’s plan for us? And if so, is it right to demean him as a person and to call his health care plan awful? I’m not trying to be a smart aleck, but isn’t it one or the other? Either we trust in God or we don’t?

And along those same lines, why is it that so many Christians I know are so opposed to those less fortunate than them having access to health care? In the last couple of weeks I’ve heard two different regular churchgoers say, “I don’t want my tax dollars going to pay for Obamacare.” To repeat an old quote, what would Jesus do?

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

65 Comments on God, We Have A Problem

1. George says:

Hypocrite is a word that comes to mind.

2. Karen says:

I have wondered the same thing many times over the last couple of years. It seems that the older I get, the more I question the value of religion for the sake of religion. I have never understood why or how people who claim to be Christian can pick and choose which parts of their bible to believe and honor.

Obama might have written the original bill, but before it became a law it was stripped of the things that would have made it helpful for the majority of the people. What it has become IS an insurance mandate, not a healthcare reform, and those two things are definitely not the same thing. In the beginning, I was one of the people who was for it because I thought it would be a good thing for our country to have universal healthcare. But I am not so much a supporter now. I don’t know if you saw my post last week, but it explains very clearly where I stand and how I feel about it. I know of several other people who are in the same little canoe as me and it is not fun to be out here without a paddle.

3. Greg White says:

God has a Plan, but it’s up to us to take the right path to get there.

Were the Nazi’s and the Holocaust part of God’s Plan, or did we just take the wrong path and have to go through WWII to get back on track?

And, are we off the path again?

4. Kayjulia says:

I am not so diplomatic about religion and religionists. I think religion is a fraud, a scam, sure some people who believe do good and a broken clock is right twice a day too. A lot of them don’t believe in the philosophy of JC or anything else. They pick and chose what they love and hate especially hate. The mere idea of doing good for someone is so foreign to them they cannot conceive of doing for to someone.
    Some people (to many) in the US live in fear, fear of change, fear of the commies, fear of the socialists, fear of education, fear of science, fear of the blacks, browns, yellows, reds or any combination of colors and origins. The same folks think things were better in the past; it wasn’t the past was awful the list of things and people hated would go on and on.
    Obama Care isn’t perfect it is a deal made with ultra right wingers, Ins. companies, hospital corps. and big pharm. It is like sausage making what goes into it is gross, still it works. ACA will help a lot of people who were unable to get Ins. coverage at any cost or at to high a cost. Is it what I want? Not even close, what I wanted was more like what they have in the UK and France, cradle to grave care everything included, everyone included. That would mean dumping the Ins. cos. and hospital corps. as well as putting medical supplies on a bid system. None of them are going to stand for that in the US, there is to much money involved so we will deal with a half ass system and hope for the best.

5. Jess Butler says:

As a minister I can’t disagree with you Nick although I wish I could. I do not like our current President and I believe that his plans will haunt us for generations. However as an American I respect the office he occupies and as a Christian I cannot condone the blatant hatred so many of my own congregation show. Just today after the service I had to talk to a senior member of our church whose comments about Mr Obama and the Health Care Act were bordering on the vile. There is no place for that in God’s house.

You ask What would Jesus do? Jesus would love those who he believed were doing wrong. Love the sinner but hate the sin is a basic tenant of our belief. Or at least it should be.

6. Keith Jackson says:

What George said, they are hypocrites. My dad would have you think he lives every minute of his life by the Bible. He prays before every meal, never misses church, and can quote you the Bible almost from memory, both Old and New Testaments. But I’ve heard him call Obama a nigger and I have called him out on it. He said he just hates him so much that is the only word that fits. He feels the same way about Mormons, Catholics, and anyone else who does not fit into his narrowminded view of Christianity.

7. Robert says:

What would Jesus do? I think it’s more compelling to consider what He would NOT do… He would not amass wealth for wealth’s sake while others struggle and hunger. He would not relate the availability of a healing touch to one’s monetary worth. He would not disparage the poor and downtrodden as ‘worthless takers and moochers’. He would not approve of the rape of mother earth’s resources with reckless abandon. He would not lie and deceive for personal or political advantage. He would not raise a fist or a weapon in aggression or war. He would not prioritize profit and selfish greed above the betterment of all humanity. IMHO…

8. Sherrie Giddens says:

God has a plan for all mankind. He wants nothing more than for everyone to live happy and healthy lives. He even gave us His word in the Bible to show us how to live. But, He will not force us, just like Adam and Eve in the garden, we have freedom of choice. He even tells us, I set before you life and death, blessings and cursings, choose life. It is our choice as so many other things are our choice.

Those who say trust in God, believe that everything is in His hands, do so with this belief. The believe that if they are living God’s way they fall within the blessings and help that He gives people. However, they will look at others and see an error in choice or in lifestyle and believe that those who make the wrong choices, fall on the other side of things. They forget that a greater plan is in the works and that plan encompasses every human being that has lived or will ever live, not just those who are alive and call themselves Christians.

You and I don’t talk about religion but I am one of those people who believe in God down to my very core. I believe that He will care for me, but I also believe that He cares for all humanity. I believe in a plan set out in the Holy Days listed in Bible. That plan begins with Passover, a death for all sins and a resurrection to life. It is followed by Pentecost, a time when the Holy Spirit was given to believers. That is followed by the Feast of Trumpets representing Christ’s return to this earth. After that is the Day of Atonement, when Satan will be bond for 1000 years. Then there is the First Day of the Feast of Tabernacles, when His Kingdom will be set up on this earth and all of those Christians who have died and all of those who are still alive, Christian or not, will learn what it means to have all pain and every tear wiped away. Then, after a thousand years, in Revelation it talks about a great resurrection when the rest of the dead or given life and become a part of this great plan. Satan, death, evil, are all done away.

You see, it is a plan for all mankind. At that point there will be no need for Obamacare or any other kind of health plan. He will be our health plan.

The things you pointed out are faults that every Christian deals with. Even Paul said the things he wants to do, he doesn’t do. Another man said,I believe but help my unbelief. It is so much easier to talk about what we believe, but at times we fail to live it in a way that shines our light at its best.

Thank you for pointing out the inconsistencies. I think people are scared right now. No one knows what to expect or what is going to happen. Fear of the unknown can at times overshadow faith, unfortunately.

9. Connie Bradish says:

I am a devout Christian. I disagree that this is “God’s Plan.” God gave us free will, a great gift to humans. In doing so he does not control us rather he let’s us run our own lives and MAKE OUR OWN MISTAKES. All the miserable and awful things that have happened to us are OUR OWN FAULT not God’s fault. If it were God’s plan, you could blame him and abdicate responsibility for your actions. No way, it’s our fault for letting the world go the way it does. Therefore electing BO is our fault not God’s fault.

God told us we would have the poor with us always. There is no way that we humans will ever eradicate poverty. Saying that does not mean to ignore it. He told us to tithe (usually 10%) to God. Not to a church building but to God. I interrupt that as giving to help not just in Christian ministry outreach but to help our fellow man and our planet. I choose where my 10% goes. I don’t want it to go to the ACA, as I feel that it is a program doomed to fail and a WASTE of taxpayer’s money.

The way to help all people is NOT TO GIVE the poor everything but to help everyone have a job so they can afford to pay their own bills. I believe in the adage, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”

Most of those who commented here I believe do not truly understand what it is to be a Christian. It’s not about being sanctimonious, or pious, or holier than thou. To be a Christian is to believe that Jesus is the Christ or promised messiah. If you believe that then the rest of your life falls into place very nicely. The frequently seen John 3:16 explains it all. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Sad but true that “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” Matthew 7:14

10. Norma says:

Connie’s got it right. We have been given free will because God wants us to come to him of our own choice. Thanks, Connie.

11. To keep this brief I’ll only comment on your last paragraph Nick. The typical Christian doesn’t oppose those less fortunate having access to health care. The greatest sources of healthcare for the poor over the years have been religious charities (Christian, Jewish, and otherwise).

The problem with the ACA is that it doesn’t focus on providing healthcare for the poor. If it did, it wouldn’t need to be tens of thousands of pages long (including the bill and all the regulations necessary to implement it). And Obama and the administration wouldn’t have had to lie about it to get it passed and still be reelected.

12. Barry Crocker says:

What Connie and Mac said!

13. Joe Homich says:

It’s called Free Will. God give us the ability to screw up, and we do. A lot.

14. Jon Ensminger says:

I agree with Mac and Connie as well. What I would like to know, why is politics and religion put together here? With the government trying to separate the two why would you pit the against each other. There are a lot of Dem’s that go the church that support ACA. Once again you are dabbling in religion and that should be a taboo subject in the print world.

Remember what Nancy Pelosi said. “We have to pass it to find out what’s in it. Isn’t that sort of like a stool sample event.

15. Suzanne Ashlock says:

Jesus did say “The poor you will always have with you,” but he also said “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” I find it hard to correlate some of the vitriol I hear against the poor with “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Don’t like the current administration? Vote them out. Don’t like the laws made? Vote against them. But remember, this is a democracy and the majority rules. That’s why we have the current administration and the ACA because the majority (in spite of what you might hear from spurious sources) wanted them. However, hating and spewing hate because the administration or the laws which you did not vote for accomplish nothing but more hate. And to do it as a “Christian” demeans and belittles Christ’s teachings.

16. Nevada Dave says:

Greg White hit the nail on the head…..

17. Bess Weber says:

God does have a plan and it includes free agency, or freedom to choose so we makes choices freely but we cannot control the consequences, that being said the AFHA Ocare was written by people to control or take away our free agency and as written is a bad thing.
    Do you feel that anyone who works must give over half or more of their hard earned dollars to people who refuse to work and demand that we take care of them? is that fair, I choose who and how I give charity to ,is that wrong? no we are to love our fellow man/women but we are not to take away their agency by giving them total support unless they are truly handicapped,unable to work.
    When God cast Adam & Eve from the garden he said you must work by the sweat of your brow to make a living then gave us everything we needed to accomplish that work ,God IS A wise and loving Father and wants us to succeed but that is a choice.

18. Donna says:

The mixing of religion and government muddies the waters of our lives, all of our lives. For those who would insist on doing so, there will always be a lack of comprehension of how things truly should or would function.

ACA and Obama are not the problem in any fashion; nor is it the poverty stricken’s fault. If our world were not corrupted by wealth-driven souls who seek power to hold their fist tight against the needs of the greater body of Americans; then there would be less who would struggle or starve in this day and time. It appalls me that people will point their fingers at the President the majority of voters voted in and accuse him simply because of his skin’s color.

No one has the right to point a finger and accuse another of something that they themselves might be guilty of. Remember, that is like pointing three fingers back at one’s self. Restrain yourselves from that kind of action and perhaps you will begin to find a bit of compassion for those less fortunate than yourself. Leave ACA to those who have need of it and Leave Obama to do the job voters asked him to step up and do. Right or wrong, he does what he believes this country needs. NO ONE PERSON IS PERFECT, Save Jesus Christ according to the Bible, if you are a believer in God’s Word. For those who don’t, just give it a rest.

19. Steve Rogers says:

I have a problem with primitive beliefs in a supernatural presence.
    Believe what you want if it brings you solace. Don’t expect me to accept your superstitions on faith. Show me some tangible proof of the existence of a god. I don’t believe in fairy tales, though lessons can be learned from them.

If you want to believe in a stylized Jesus Christ and the teachings attributed to him, fine. From what I read, they are good life lessons. Don’t call yourself a Christian unless you at least try to adhere to them.

20. Jim Roach says:

Way to go! It must be God’s fault, right! Wow, did you actually research anything, do you see the reports of people losing their health care because of the ACA? Do you see Obama selling America down the river? Obama was to arm Al Queda to Fight Hezbolla in Syria.

Obama is doing everything he attacked Bush and the Republicans for doing. Bush went into Iraq with a coalition of support, Obama wanted to go into Syria because the Saudi’s wanted him to do something.

I am a Christian, I will say Merry Christmas, I will love my country, screw the Atheists who want to take away my rights to worship as I see fit. I will not stand by while my beliefs and my rights are taken away by the government.

21. Why is it that those who can afford it, and already HAVE good health insurance themselves, should decide that others can’t have it?

22. James Jardine says:

I agree with Mac & Connie. I also have voted with the majority for president and been sorry. I’m not happy with politics or the people we’ve elected to send to Washington. The only answer, as I see it,is to vote them out. I also beleive christian charities do great work and do it best because they beleive in helping those in need just as they are told to do

23. Steve Rogers says:

I have heard stories of the ACA causing people to lose their health insurance. When questioned, it turns out they are offered better insurance, often at a reduced price. My main objection to “Obamacare” is that it is not comprehensive enough.

I do not see the President selling America down the river, though I do see Congress legislating appropriations that are questionable in Syria and other places, especially here at home.

Bush’s coalition was based on lies and fabrications, and was a terrible distraction. Too many people including our own sons and daughters were lost in that struggle.

I am a rational Atheist. I don’t want to take away any of our rights. I like wishing others a Merry Christmas during the season. Sort of like saying “god bless you” when you sneeze.

Jim Roach, I wonder which of your beliefs you think the government is taking away, and why you want to screw the Atheists in the name of Christ?
    It’s true some of our rights are being abrogated. That legislation was approved well before the present administration. I would like to see that discontinued and reversed.

Just from these answers, you have your answer: there is no one answer to your question. Even amongst Christians, there are different views and different values, based on your denomination, where you live and what your life circumstances are.

Following is something which shows the way I believe toward others:
    Abou Ben Adhem
    By Leigh Hunt
    Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
    Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
    And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
    Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
    An angel writing in a book of gold:—
    Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
    And to the presence in the room he said,
    “What writest thou?”—The vision raised its head,
    And with a look made of all sweet accord,
    Answered, “The names of those who love the Lord.”
    “And is mine one?” said Abou. “Nay, not so,”
    Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
    But cheerly still; and said, “I pray thee, then,
    Write me as one that loves his fellow men.”

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
    It came again with a great wakening light,
    And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
    And lo! Ben Adhem’s name led all the rest.

And to Bess, following is a piece written by someone who was raised to believe as you do. Please read and see if you still feel exactly the same: http://thebigslice.org/why-i-a.....epublican/

25. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy EVERYONE !!!

THE BIBLE SAYS IT… I BELIEVE IT… THAT SETTLES IT ….

26. Linda Sand says:

It helps me in situations like this to think about God the father. As a parent myself I know what it is like to give your children tools then set them free to make their own mistakes. It’s what we humans do–make mistakes. Which is why forgiveness is so important.

27. Susan Pezzano says:

Nick, you are absolutely correct. ( but you already know that! Lol). I will now be able to get health insurance. You have great nonpartisan insight.

28. Dave W5 says:

Who’s Bible are you all talking about because they are all different. I know a person who believes that the bible was written by politians way back then to make the people fwel gilty and be able to rule them better and so they would pay their taxes.

29. Keith Jackson says:

Jon, why should religion be a taboo topic in print or anything else? If it is such a taboo, should it also not be in broadcast (religious TV channels and radio shows)? Or do you just mean nobody should disagree with your opinion on religion? I see a lot of varied responses here and I think that’s what Nick is trying to make us do, think and discuss. Isn’t that how we learn? How can that be taboo?

30. Deanna Harris says:

I’m a Christian but not a regular church attendee due to my work schedule. I am also not, never have been, and never will be a supporter of Mr Obama. But I too am appalled by the things I hear people who profess to be Christians say about him, about gays, minorities, etc. It is one thing to disagree and use that free will to vote for what you believe is best for America. But to condemn and judge is not our job, God has that responsibility.

The problem is, in my opinion, too many Christians and a lot of the rest of our citizens have forgotten the teachings in the Bible and replaced them with the hate filled pablum of radio “personalities” and whatever nonsense comes over the internet.

31. Mark Henderson says:

I did not vote for our current administration. But the thing is, the majority did vote President Obama into office and then re-elected him. So no matter what everybody says, the majority ruled. That’s what democracy is all about.

I keep hearing that America is becoming a socialist country. I don’t believe that for a minute. But if it is true, again it is because that is what the majority seems to want, right or wrong.

If you want to change things, support a candidate that will change them. Meantime, stop bitching and inventing plots prove some great conspiracy. Because that just makes you look like an idiot. I’ve heard it said over and over again that the recent elections in Virginia were rigged. I heard that when Obama was first elected it was rigged. Bullshit! It was the majority of Americans saying “”I want something different.”” Well, we got it, and if you think its worse than what we had get out and drum up support for somebody else.

32. James Robert Carpenter says:

Nick you need to stick to writing your silly assed mysteries and RV stuff because your not smart enough to dip your toes into deeper water like this.

33. Linda says:

You do enjoy playing devil’s advocate, don’t you?? :) Strange that you should mention that “Sunday Christian” thing. It’s kind of the reason that I don’t attend church any more. Being there, being greeted at the door, the smiles, the nods, etc., was a really warm, fuzzy feeling. Yet I knew that on Monday morning, if I were to stand between any of those folks and the almighty dollar, they would walk right over me. God may have a plan for us, but what if it is this, “I gave you opposable thumbs, a reasoning brain and a set of rules. Now make of your life what you can”?

As for Obamacare, heath care and medical care are two different things. In this case health care is insurance. Medical care is actually being seen by a health professional. Anyone can get medical care, either by paying out of their own pocket, getting a reduced rate at a community clinic or, if the situation is bad enough, going to the emergency room. Not having health insurance is a gamble, but then, so is insurance. The only difference is that with insurance they have your money whether you get sick or injured or not.

34. Traci says:

Let’s get briefly philosophical: Christians don’t realize they believe what I’m about to say, but when approached with the concept most agree it’s true.

We believe all people (including ourselves)are evil by nature, through and through.

Because we believe in freewill we believe that the only hope for humanity is for the individual to retain as many rights as possible so that each person, one by one, can determine their life.

We believe that Big Government is a lot of evil people doing things that will take away our freedom (remember, individual freedom to chose God means life or death to us.)

When government get’s bigger we feel threatened.

Taxation is a threat.
    Tax funded programs are a threat.

At a deeply fundamental level the issue isn’t about making poor, sick people healthy. It is about the power of the individual being more important than the power of the government.

35. Barb Scrafield says:

Nick Nick Nick, you’ve done it again, stirring the pot..

Does anyone seriously think that Hitler, Osama Bin Laden and all the other evil leaders were part of Gods Plan?

Some think that Satin is also in play in this world..
    How many folks were thrilled when Obama first gave his acceptance speech and vowed to (fundalmentally) change America?

Tell the folks that have lost their health care, some right in the middle of being treated for life threatening illnesses, that they are better off now.. They can’t add 30 or more million more folks to the healthcare rolls and expect it to be cheaper and more efficient.. Government does very little efficiently and less costly.. Not going to happen.. This whole ACA is going to blow up, no matter what religion folks believe in.

Barb

36. Diana says:

Totally agree with you Nick…I must admit that I started reading the comments and got confused how some Christians responded. I gave up on organized religion as soon as I became an adult and in charge of my own life. That doesn’t mean that I stopped being a Christian it meant that I recognized Jesus did not die on the cross to give me a religion. Now that I cleared that up, I must admit that I have been one of the strongest supporters of President Obama since he won the Democratic nomination to run. I believe that history will look back on his presidency with a sense of pride. He has done more for this country than any other President has in My Lifetime (57 proud years young). And I do not consider the Affordable Health Care a failure. It is a start, its not where I would like it to be …. BUT THANK GOD WE ARE NOT WHERE WE USE TO BE. This is a humungous undertaking and to expect that it will be rolled out without glitches is foolish. It is time for this country to take ownership of not only the Good but the bad and the ugly (poor / ill) parts of this great country as well. Many of the people who have commented quoted scripture to prove their point…so I thought I would join in. Whenever I feel confused in what to do or not to do….this is my go too story and it makes it all clear.
    Matthew 25:31-46

New International Version (NIV)
    The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

37. harry bellerby says:

My God is bigger than your God. This discussion goes round and round. I have my beliefs and have no right to make fun of yours.
    Steve Rogers,I will prove to you that God exist on the same day you prove He does not!!!

38. Steve Rogers says:

I don’t have patience for logical fallacies, Harry Bellerby.
    The premise that belief in something is justified until evidence refutes its existence is not a useful exercise. A negative cannot be proven.
    Should every supernatural claim be accepted as true until it is disproved?
    I believe all gods are equal. Meaning they are all equally imaginary.

39. Rob Fox says:

Wow, Bad Nick, guns, religion and the ACA in one week. I’m not sure you could pick more controversial topics.

As a life long atheist and socialist I have noticed a great deal of hypocrisy in my life time which only strengthens my views of both positions.

On the subject of religion I have long since stopped arguing the case because it is both pointless and in some ways disrespectful to the other party. After all, I can no sooner prove my position than they can theirs. I do, however become more combative when their belief system impinges on my freedoms.

This nation was, in part, formed by people seeking freedom to follow their chosen religion. You fought and won your independence against, what you saw as, a tyrannical king and government. In instituting your own government, great care was taken to constrain the power of both church and state. You also recognised the importance of their separation. The people should pay more attention.

Bad Nick’s basic primes seems to be that there is a dichotomy between the Christian ethos and hate filled bial spewed out against the ACA. Watch Fox News any night of the week for the last year and it would be very hard to argue against that assessment.

The health care situation in the USA is, in my opinion, a national disgrace. Without doubt, you have the best health care that money can buy. And there in lays the rub. It has become less and less affordable to the people of the USA. Even when you are lucky enough to be in a position to afford a decent policy, they nickel and dime you at every turn. As somebody who spent all but the last 5 years with universal health care, you really don’t know what you are missing.

Is the ACA perfect? Far from it. It was a crazy compromise with an opposition that continues to block and fear monger even after the act has been signed into law. The opposition knows full well that, once the people understand the benefits of the ACA, it will never be reversed.

If the issue wasn’t so important for the future of the nation it would be easy to laugh about some of the responses. As it is, I find myself shaking my head. Could this really be the nation that put a man on the moon with less on board computing power than most people now carry in their pocket?

Karen: We have to remember that this was mostly a republican idea.
    Greg: In my 58 years on this planet I have yet to see any evidence of a plan.
    Kayjulia: Oh yes.
    Jess: An example of why I will not press my point with sincere people of faith. I am encouraged by recent changes in the Vatican.
    Kieth: Bigotry and intolerance is so corrosive especially when displayed by those you love. It is a test for you to rise to.
    Robert: Nicely said.
    Sherrie: I cannot agree with you. You may be right. Who really knows? But on balance…… However, in the current absence of the ultimate solution, the American people deserve affordable health care.
    Connie: As above. I feel you are correct on the jobs front. It is incumbent of a civilized society to organise itself in such a way that all citizens are able to participate in a meaningful way. Our economy is a man made construct. It needs reconstruction.
    Norma: I have free will but we must disagree as to its source I’m afraid.
    Mac: It is not only the poor that deserve affordable health care. Everyone should have access to a system that provides care according to their needs and will not treat them unfairly.
    Jon: The two most important target for dissent. Politics and religion. Not necessarily in that order.
    Suzanne: Some peoples vote is worth more than others.
    Dave: Only if you agree with his argument.
    Bess: Who are these people that are giving away over half of their hard earned money. They certainly aren’t people earning over $150,000 or those who’s main earnings come from investments. Sadly the taxation system is extremely regressive and impacts lower income people disproportionately. Where are all these lucky ducky moochers that don’t want to work? It would be nice to know.
    Donna: Corruption and the pursuit of wealth. A dangerous combination.
    Steve: I agree with you. I have found many really good “life lessons” embedded in the major religions of the world.
    Jim: Right back at yer! Did you do any research or did you just let Fox News soak in. This atheist doesn’t want to take away your to worship any deity that you want. Remember that the majority of people in the world do not believe in your God. Seasons greetings to you.
    Marianne: The answer is “fear”.
    James: Leaving it to charity is a cop-out. Society as a whole must step up. We must do it together. It’s the socialist way.
    Steve: Brother!
    Butterbean: Comic as ever.
    Linda: Take away the first sentence and it all makes sense. ….. really, try it.
    Susan: Non-partisan or marzipan …… one or the other.
    Dave W5: Now you know 2 people with that general opinion.
    Deanna: Respectful opposition always welcome.
    Mark: Good comments. You are right. There is nothing remotely socialist about the USA …. well maybe the yellow school bases. President Obama would have been labelled a moderate Republican only a decade ago. To be quite frank, I don’t think many people in the USA actually know what socialism, as practiced in western Europe, is. Such a shame.
    JRC: Almost the devise perspective. So which was the insult? Silly or not smart enough?
    Linda: Sorry to disagree but no ….. many people could not get health care. They were refused. I guess you were one of the luck ones.
    Traci: I was hopeful about the idea of getting “briefly philosophical”. Oh the disappointment. Total crap.
    Barb: …. no I can’t be bothered.
    Diana: Yes, we need more love in the world. Thank you.
    Harry: Well said sir!
    Steve: Ding ding ….. and in the red corner :-)

Until the next time.

40. Robert Wang says:

I too have wondered how so called “Christian” leaning people can justify the lack of support for health care for all. As the only industrialized nation without such a plan and supposedly the nation of God, how the hell does this equate?
    President Obama will go down in history as one of the greatest Presidents and as most great Presidents have gone through there will be a significant amount of travail to get through before this is recognized and appreciated from a historical perspective.
    Nice work Nick, promoting real thinking is quite a gift.

41. Kirsten Bowman says:

As a citizen of Denmark for the first 37 years of my life before marrying an American and moving to the States, I agree with Rob Fox above. You really don’t know what you are missing. In Denmark the universal public health system is paid for largely from taxation, Our primary care is provided by what you would call a general practitioner contracting with the local government entity and referrals are made to specialists when needed. I am a physician myself, specializing in obstetrics, and I can tell you that my fellow doctors and I love the system. We don’t have to constantly do battle with insurance companies like my husband and his brother (both doctors and neither planning to close his practice over the new health care law) do here, either to get next level treatment referrals for our patients or to get paid. And contrary to what I keep hearing here, EVERY citizen gets equal treatment no matter their age or social position. And if you care to go outside the system and seek private treatment you are free to do so. So what are you afraid of except the lies the insurance industry here tells you?

I am a Christian although I’m not as articulate as some. Connie stated it very well. I am also an American, a veteran, and a patriot. I could not have done enough good deeds to work my way to heaven. I trust completely on Jesus for my salvation. I spend at least 6 months a year working on Christian projects because I love God and my fellow men. Most early Schools, Colleges, orphanages, soup kitchens and many other charities were started and run by Christian groups before the government came in and took control with their regulations and government assistance. Being a Christian does not mean that I am to sit back and not take an active role in your government. I want my country to be the very best that it can be. I don’t think the government and the President are doing what is best for the nation. I will do everything in my power to try to get the USA on track with the Constitution and the Bill of rights. I am not racist and I do not hate people including the President although I may disagree with them and I do believe the country would be better off if some were not in office. Israel although God’s chosen people lost God’s blessing and ultimately their country for a long time because they turned away from seeking God. I hope our nation has not crossed that line even though many in this country would like to direct it that way.

43. James Robert Carpenter says:

Kitsten Bowman if Denmark is such a wonderful fairyland why did you move here? It’s one of the most socialist countries in the world and has the highest taxes of any country. Please go back because we don’t need your kind here.

44. Robert says:

James Robert Carpenter. Your comment makes me feel shame for being associated with you as an American. What the HELL has happened to us in this country… No, I know the answer to that question. Corporate sponsored propaganda via the likes of Foxnews and contemptuous individuals like Rush Limbaugh polluting respectful discourse hence eliminating the prospect of pragmatic solutions to the many challenges that face our wonderful and evolving democracy… Rob Fox and Kirsten Bowman present some of the most positive and insightful points of view of all I’ve seen here on Nick’s great blog. They give me hope for our country and all humankind. Your views are of a nature that will lead to its demise…

45. Steve says:

I also agree with Connie, Mac, and Allan. The ACA (uh BTW, even Obama calls it Obamacare) is neither affordable, nor does it provide care at the level we have become used to.

Liberals seem to be hell bent on making us all “equal”. In the healthcare world that will mean equally miserable.

Our country was founded on the principle of equal opportunity, not equal outcomes…

46. harry bellerby says:

I do not believe there is a God.I know there is!!!

47. Steve says:

A recent news commentary:

“….“The nation has been better off,” wrote one friend. “Over 33 million people who did not have insurance are now going to get it.” That’s all fine and good for “the nation,” but what about my $5,400 rate hike (after-tax dollars, I wanted to add, but dared not in this group of previously closeted Mother Teresas)? Another friend wrote, “Yes, I’m paying an extra 200 a month, but I’m okay with doing that so that others who need it can have health care.””

“I was shocked. Who knew my friends were such humanitarians? Has Obamacare made it un-P.C. to be concerned by a serious burden on my family’s well-being?”

“The heated reactions even moved offline. Frustrated, I observed to one friend who was covered through her work that when an issue didn’t affect people directly, they became “theoretically generous.” Ask them to donate several thousand dollars so that the less fortunate can have medical insurance — which is exactly what President Obama is asking me to do — and I’ll bet they’d change their tune about “ending inequality” and “creating fairness” and “doing what’s good for the country.”….”

The inherently evil Fox News, right??

No, The New York Times….

“Daring to Complain About Obamacare” 11-10-13

It is not Un-Christian, hateful, or racist to criticize Obama or Obamacare.

48. Lisa Pratt says:

Robert,
    You are exactly right in your response to James Robert Carpenter. People like him are the biggest problem in America today. In there mind there is no room for discussion, it’s their way or no way at all. This is the same attitude the Republicans used to shut down the government. And what good did that do for anybody?
    Ms. Bowman, I apologize for the rudeness and ignorance of some of my fellow Americans, and welcome you to the U.S.A.

49. Barb Scrafield says:

Steve, I totally agree with you.
    I find it hard to believe that so many here have no problem with their health care premiums going through the roof, their deductibles going up in some cases thousands of dollars so that others (in some cases) can get on the medicaid rolls for free. Millions of people are losing their healthcare insurance when they were promised that “If they liked it they could keep it, PERIOD”…So much for the presidents promise.
    As of today 11/12/13, 50,000 people have signed up for the AHA and nearly half million have sign on for Medicaid, (free health care) In Oregon,the first two weeks of sign ups, not one person sign up for the AHA and 1000’s signed up for medicaid, this is happening all over the country.. Someone explain how this is going to work?
    I for one do not want the federal government in charge of my health care but now we have no choice.. That’s what this is really all about. Choice. We are headed for a Single Payer Plan and that was what was intended all along..
    President Obama will be remembered as the greatest president ever? Please!

50. James Robert Carpenter says:

Oh excuse me! I did not realize that it wasnt allowed to express your opinion here without being shouted down. So much for all your talk about open discussion. I guess only if it agrees with you. Interesting. Isn’t that what they do in communist and socialist countries too?