The internet is currently ablaze with comments about Arts & Entertainment Network suspending Duck Dynasty family patriarch Phil Robertson after his comments in an interview with GQ, in which he quoted the Bible and said that homosexuals would not go to Heaven and that it will “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.” In the same interview, he also claimed that he worked in the cotton fields with blacks as a child and they were happier than they are now. "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

I am a fan of the Duck Dynasty TV show. It’s funny, you can let your kids and grandkids watch it and not worry about them seeing sex or people using drugs or being blown to bits, and the family values they exhibit are great.

And while I personally disagree with Phil Robertson’s comments on homosexuals and African Americans and find them very narrow minded, I also support his right to say what he believes and respect him for doing so in the face of public opinion. And I completely disagree with A&E’s decision to suspend Mr. Robertson from the show.

So was Phil wrong to say the things he did? No, I don’t believe so. I believe that the things he said were wrong, but he was right in being faithful to what he believes and taking a stand, even if it is an unpopular stand. He is a man of deep religious beliefs and he doesn’t attempt to hide that. He is proud of his faith and puts it right out there for you to see.

In this politically correct world we live in, Phil Robertson is a dinosaur. That’s okay, I’ve been called a dinosaur myself many times. But I much prefer honest dinosaurs to chameleons that change their color to match the current environment.

And I’ve got a pretty good idea that Phil Robertson doesn’t give a damn what anybody else thinks. And you have to respect him for that, no matter how much you disagree. He’s not a politician who will slap you on the back and call you friend while he’s looking for some way to screw you at the same time. I think Phil Robertson feels that if you don’t like his message, pick up the remote control and change the channel. He wouldn’t be offended.

Was A&E wrong to suspend him? I think so. But again, it’s their network, and if you don’t like the decisions they make, pick up the remote control and change the channel. However, if you think sending e-mails or boycotting A&E will change anything, I’ll remind you of the recent hullabaloo when the Food Network fired Paula Deen. People bitched and complained and it didn’t make any difference to the bean counters at the network. I don’t expect anything different this time around.

And don’t worry about the Robertson family missing any meals. They may be rednecks, but they are not a bunch of uneducated rednecks. Phil and at least a couple of his sons have master’s degrees, and he is a shrewd businessman who made a fortune starting with nothing. Then son Willy built it up even more from there. They are millionaires a few times over and if the show went off the air tonight, they’d still all gather around the dinner table and be thankful for just being together.

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

69 Comments on Was Phil Wrong?

1. Greg White says:

To Jan Goldfield.

Not sure what comment #37 has to do with my post about the Bible.

I never said anything about the 1st Amendment. Just trying to change the subject?

Also not sure you understand the concept of a “contract” in #49.

‘You’ decide everyone’s swearing too much, and ‘you’ establish a swear jar, and ‘you’ say everyone has to put a quarter in when they swear.

Kind of a one-sided contract, isn’t it.

2. Good grief, Greg. Can you not even understand the pronoun ‘you?’ It’s a generic one and in this case refers to YOU…that’s other people, not me.

3. Greg White says:

Jan,

I certainly understood the generic ‘you’. What I was pointing out was that in your scenario no one else agreed to the swear jar. Just ‘you’.

‘You’ decided everyone was swearing too much. ‘You’ created the swear jar, and ‘you’ decided everyone had to put a quarter in when they swear.

Sounds like only ‘you’ had a problem with the office conversation.

I was just quoting your post.

4. Greg, get your face out of the punch bowl. You have had to much to drink. Everyone here understands that you is both singular and plural.

5. Too much, not to much, so Greg can maybe understand English.

6. Tony says:

After reading all 57 current comments I think most folks here believe Phil had every right to say what he wants. Since he has that right I will exercise my right to say he has the right to be as stupid as he chooses to be. I just saw a video of him speaking at a church. Its rare to witness such ignorance.

I realize the guy has a masters degree however, one of my favorite sayings after many years as a teacher is “just because you have been to college it doesn’t mean you are educated. To think he was once a teacher is frightening.

By the way the comment about the happy Blacks is offensive. I was raised in Texas and know that the discrimination and cruel treatment of African-Americans is a blot on our country. Jim Crow was real and terrible. I cannot support any person who would take us back to such a dark time in out past.

7. Yes, Tony, it’s telling that everyone just sort of glossed over the comment about Jim Crow laws. I spent 40 years living in New Orleans and, like you, watched those laws enforced. It was an awful time in our history and it’s not completely over yet.

8. Jerry Wilson says:

Jan and Tony, I agree. The Jim Crow era comments were definitely the worst. And those can’t be defended by a claim of religious belief. He actually said, “nobody was singing the blues.” Wow. Wasn’t that, you know, kind of when the blues were invented?

9. It’s not OK for the general population to be racist these days, so most everybody stays quiet unless around friends or family. And yes, Jerry, the blues, although started much earlier, came into mainstream music then.

It’s still just fine to hate (us queers) out loud tho. We may be the last minority that hears the vitriol on a daily basis and always by the same group of people.
    Oh wait, maybe the immigrants….it’s still OK to hate them out loud. Only our neighbors to the south tho. Somehow our neighbors to the north are just fine.

10. Paul Stough says:

@Jan-Have you seen the contract that Phil signed, or are you saying because he was suspended, there must have been a part of his contract that said he could be suspended for saying publicly anything that offended his employer, even if it was espousing his religious views?

Paul

11. No, I have not seen his contract. You are right that I am saying that there must have been a part of his contract that he violated. Employee/employer contracts, especially reality show ones (I suspect) must be more than a little complicated.

12. Elizabeth says:

Nick, do you limit the number of times people can comment on one issue here? They could start their own blog and ask people to come there…just saying…

13. Terry says:

Elizabeth
    why limit the number of times people can comment?

14. Nick Russell says:

The purpose of this blog is to get people thinking and talking. As long as nobody becomes outright abusive I’m happy to let them express their opinions, and I find many of them fascinating.

15. Kevin says:

I see this as a completely orchestrated play. Look at how many of you would never even think about DD. Now you are cussing/discussing it.

I don’t think this had anything to do with religion, beliefs, freedom of speech etc. It all is about promoting A&E and DD. How many people are now going to watch to see what that old codger is going to say? Read through these comments. How many said they do not and would not watch it but here they are taking time to comment. I bet more than a few will tune in now.

Just like EVERYTHING on the tube – it’s all about money. Nothing else. Don’t get duped in to thinking otherwise. These discussions make the A&E execs giddy.

16. Norma says:

Two comments: “Hate the sin, love the sinner”, and (I’m not sure of the exact wording of this quote) “I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

17. Fred Hammer says:

You can always cast a vote here: http://www.istandwithphil.com

18. Connie Beckes says:

Spot on as usual, Nick!

19. Barb says:

What do you want to bet that DD’s marathon that’s coming up, will get great ratings?

A&E will be delighted, I’m thinking.:)