The news has been full of reports about how the state of Oklahoma botched the execution of Clayton Lockett on Tuesday. According to reports, instead of drifting off peacefully after the drugs were administered, Lockett was declared unconscious after 10 minutes but then began breathing heavily, writhing, clenched his teeth and strained to lift his head from the pillow. Prison officials stopped the execution, and the condemned man died of an apparent heart attack minutes later.

So was this really a failed execution as the news is reporting? Not in my opinion. Lockett is dead, so it worked. Just not quite as quickly and as quietly as expected.

Of course, it’s not that simple. At least not in the eyes of the news media and those who are apposed to capital punishment. They say that Clayton Lockett suffered unreasonably before he died. Oklahoma prison officials blame the problem on a new drug combination used in the execution.

Call me cold and callous, but I’m sorry, I really don’t see the problem. Lockett was a four-time felon who was convicted of shooting an 18 year old woman named Stephanie Neiman and then watching as his two accomplices buried her alive. What had Ms. Neiman done to deserve such a terrible death? Had she jilted Lockett and broken his heart? Was she part of a drug deal gone bad? No, she and a friend simply stumbled onto the scene while Lockett and his friends were robbing a home on June 3, 1999. For that she was beaten, raped, and then brutally murdered. She had graduated from high school only two weeks earlier and had her whole life ahead of her.

They say Lockett suffered? How much did Stephanie Neiman suffer as she was violated?  How much did she suffer from her gunshot wounds? How much did she suffer as they shoveled dirt onto her, choking out her last breath? For the last fourteen years Lockett lived off the taxpayers as they paid the legal fees for his appeals. How much did Stephanie Neiman’s family suffer as they grieved her loss?

I hope Clayton Lockett suffered when he died. I hope that wherever he is right now he’s still suffering.

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

51 Comments on He’s Dead, So It Worked

1. Becki says:

Amen, Nick.

2. Hank Jaeger says:

Couldn’t agree more Nick. Shoot the SOB the next time if they want it over quick. That poor girl he killed didn’t get any mercy.

3. Particia Hall says:

Murder is murder whether it is a criminal or the state doing it. 2 wrongs dont make a right.

4. Dave W says:

Where he is headed I think the decision will be made for him and it aint gonna be pretty!………..

Dave

5. Jerri T. says:

I wonder if you would feel the same way if it was your child who was slaughtered in such a way Patricia. My beautiful little 12 year old niece was sexually assaulted and strangled 15 years ago. The animal who did it to her was on parole for rape and had a history of violent crimes. He sits in prison watching cable TV and enjoying his life and we are told to take comfort in the fact that he will never walk out the gates of the prison.

6. Kayjulia says:

Count me as one against government executions. This one was particularly gruesome even worse are the 4% of innocent people executed by the government. Very few governments do this anymore for good reasons. One is you can’t undo it if further evidence proves them innocent. Another is killing people hasn’t been proven to deter people from doing terrible crimes. One day we will move past this brutal method of punishment I hope to live to see it.

7. Roger Silverman says:

With all due respect, Kayjulia, killing this sorry excuse for a human being will deter HIM from killing someone else. I’m good with that.

8. Jeff savournin says:

I am of the bleeding heart liberal democratic atheist side. Good, MF should have had a month to die in agony. Guess I may to go hell..LOL

9. Ron Johnson says:

Roger has it right. Too many times they get out of prison and do it again. Life in prison would simply be preserving evil at society’s expense.

10. Greg White says:

Executions guarantee ONE thing.

That guy will never kill again. Ever.

And even getting sentenced to life without parole doesn’t mean they won’t get out to kill again. All it takes is a soft-hearted judge to let them out on furlong, or a governor to pardon them.

Both of these have happened and the criminals have killed again.

I got a real laugh out of the Drudge Report headline on this.

“Execution Botched. Inmate Died.”

11. Dave Mingus says:

He got exactly what he deserved. Was it really a botched execution, or was it Karma? My guess is hell came right to him!

12. Framcis Callahan says:

I ALWAYS SAY THAT THE SCUM BAGS UPON BEING FOUND GUILTY SHOULD BE REMOVED TO THE BACK YARD TO MEET MR .357 COST IS $1.00 AND SAVES THE TAXPAYERS A BUNDLE O0F MONEY AND IS REALLY EFFECIENT AND THE DUMPTER IS ALREADY THERE

13. Susan Pezzano says:

A bullet in his head would have saved time and our tax dollars.

14. Vall & Mo says:

With all due respect for Nick (Bad or otherwise) and everyone who posted along the same lines, we beg to disagree. We don’t think torturing a torturer is justified, *ever*.

As Nietzsche once wrote:
    “He who fights against monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.”

What makes us different than the criminals we abhor is that we follow the Rule of the Law. And the Rule of the Law states that a murderer should only be executed (*not* “killed”, nor “murdered”) after due process, and that the execution should be painless.

If we tolerate (or worse, advocate for) anything less, we will end up turning ourselves into something not much better than the monsters we fight.

15. Gayle Pietz says:

Well said Nick, well said!

16. Dave K says:

guys like that deserve Apache justice. The Ant hill!

17. Rob says:

Violence begets violence. Until the vicious and callous cycle is broken, society will continue to descend into chaos. The vengeful need to look inward and find a more enlightened path. Peace and love is all we need.

18. Jerry Hayes says:

I cannot say more than what has been. He damn sure got what he deserved! The Lord just started his punishment a little early.

19. Connie Bradish says:

Sad that any human could be this evil. I believe it is the duty of society (the rest of us)to stop this kind of evil and never let it happen again. Most of these individuals if out in society are repeat offenders. So it is necessary for society to stop them. And ending theirs lives stops them. For those of you against capital punishment, do you let a rabid dog continue to live and bite others? These people are just like the rabid dog and must be stopped, permanently.

20. Carol J. says:

Amen, Nick. Bet he suffered much less than his victim did. And her family and friends! He wasn’t a man–he was a rabid dog. Society won’t miss his presence.

21. Joe Green says:

I don’t know the exact numbers but I do know that there have been bleeding heart liberals against executions who have had a change of heart when their family or loved ones became the victims.

22. Barbara B says:

I agree completely, Nick. This murderer may have had a few minutes of pain, but that is nothing compared to the hours(?) that his young victim suffered at his and his friends’ hands. This was not cruel and unusual; that would have been if he had been subjected to the same treatment he gave the teenage girl before dying.

I am with Greg White. I couldn’t help laugh at the headline about the execution being botched because the inmate died. I told my husband, “Sounds to me like it worked.”

23. once again I agree with everything you said. To hell with giving this bastard any sympathy, he buried this young lady alive god knows only for how long raped her and beat her then shot her. were does he deserve sympathy. they should have done the same thing to him in my opinion. I get tired of these bleeding hearts who yell it is cruel when this happens, would they feel the same way if was there daughter or even their sons

24. Linda says:

The guy is dead, he will never harm anyone again, so the execution wasn’t botched. The bleeding heart media just wants to benefit from making a big deal out of it. In my opinion there are plenty of repeat offenders running around loose, continuing their crimes, who need the same end.

25. Shannon LOpez says:

Nick,
    You got it right again! He is where he belongs! Hope its hot there!

26. Roger Marble says:

While I understand the sentiments of many regarding Lockett I have to ask, Is it a good sign for a society when it celebrates the death of anyone.
    If you think the way he died is a good thing, why stop with using convicted felons for human drug experimentation. Lets save some time and money and simply tie the person to a metal poll, pour some used motor oil over their head and pile bundles of wood and paper around their feet and set them on file and walk away?
    Maybe we could do some special 1/2 time events at local football games for a modern version of what went on in the Roman Colosseum. I bet the Governor would enjoy the publicity if they were able to be the one with the match. After all they can commute the death penalty so lets have them actually be the one responsible for the murder of the convicted person.

We haven’t even addressed the question of what the punishment should be for those involved in the execution death of a person that was innocent.

27. Denise Gray says:

You got it right again Nick!

28. Reynald Fortier says:

For all of you that have a bleeding heart, ask yourself, really ASK yourself, what if it was your daughter or sister?
    I say drop him in Afghanistan and let him explain his reasons over there, I’m sure that he will find a lot of sympathy

29. Charles Dickson says:

Well said, Nick. I agree with the folks that advocate capital punishment. Yes, it’s a sad thing that it has to happen, but because monsters like Lockett are, and will always continue to be, a reality, capital punishment needs to exist. Wanting to do away with it because it lowers the level of humanity to the level of those monsters will not make society any better off, but it will make for more people that have to be supported for the rest of their lives by taxpayers. It’s living in a dream world to think that the monsters will go away if we don’t sink to their level.

30. Linda Blane says:

I hope there is a place called Hell for human scum like this guy. Burn in hell you piece of shit!

31. LaDonna Kinney says:

I agree with you 110% Uncle Nick. No one ever mentions what the victims endured, or their families. Yes the convict has an innocent family…sometimes. Yet they still have years to spend visiting them and know the are going to be executed. When someone is murdered its a agonizing shock to all who knew that person. Sad. I feel the same for people who murder and torture innocent animals. A poor dog was burned here over 90% of his body, including its face, not even a year old. The pain that dog has endured and the uncaring bastard gets minimal time in jail in the air-conditioning. I agree Linda. I hope they all burn in hell

32. Bob Moritz says:

He should have died the way his victim did.

33. Jo Wilson says:

Gee seems I heard somewhere the statement—AN EYE FOR EYE A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH—He should have been raped and buried alive. Sorry you bleeding hearts.. He needed killing. You are right again,Nick

34. Bill Daines says:

wow ! this one has more support, I didn’t expect it. But yes it is true some who have been exicuted may have been found guilty and may not have been guilty of the crime. It’s us who sit as jurrors. And really the bottom line he who is on death row and is exicuted will never kill again.
    Look at the escaped killer in Michigan.(a month or so ago) A multiple killer. He escaped and later was caught after the female he held prisoner after the car jacking escaped and summoned help. He even fought extridition.(from Indiana )
    I think hanging in public is by far more suitable.
    No prison for capital punishment crimes period !
    Bill.

35. Bill Kelbaugh says:

Yes I was excited to see that the SOB was put to death. In my opinion, if more were put to death and people were excited, it may make an impact on the young folks trying trying to make decisions about what to do with their lives.

Our nation is right to demand real justice. I think we saw justice in this verdict being carried out. I don’t believe we should purposefully torture those on death row but this was a foul-up in its implementation. We shouldn’t “throw the baby out with the bathwater”. They should correct the method and continue where justice demands it. Evil should not be condoned.

37. T.A. Martin says:

What? He was not buried alive? Where is the justice! Proven killers should be put to death in the same manner as the victim he/she killed. They should be put to death by another life-inmate assigned to that “dirty deed” (perhaps one of his/her lifer buddies). The prison personnel can supervise the task without having to have an active part in it. Why should hard-working prison workers have that burden? Can you imagine all the lifers waiting for their turn to pay for their crime & wondering which one of their other lifer buddies will be the one assigned to take his/her life?

38. Rob says:

Vengeance is such a terribly negative emotion. It eats you up and will only come back to haunt you. Events in our society are a reflection of our innermost attitudes. Why is there so much violence? This is the most disturbing Bad Nick comments section I have read. And yes, my heart bleeds.

39. Larry Chiuppi says:

First of all it costs the state less money to keep an inmate locked in solitary confinement for life than it does to exercise the death penalty. Being confined in solitary confinement is actually a bigger punishment than being put to death. I am not talking about a life sentence with a chance of parole, but rather life without parole. Our society has advanced beyond an eye for an eye, most of the world condemns the USA for its death penalty use, last time I checked the ten commandments it says “Thou shalt not kill” It doesn’t say thou shalt not kill unless you are the government. War is a necessary evil that we often do not have any control over, I think all of us would agreed that if we could end all wars that would be a good thing, so don’t go down that path to justify the death penalty.

But here’s the bottom line, if the people of a certain state vote for the death penalty then that is the “law of the land” and the state has a morale duty to carry it out in a humane manner, until such time as the law is changed. Those of you who believe in the death penally should want it carried out humanely, because its this type of attention that will get the death penalty revoked. Think about it.

40. Roger Marble says:

Bill Daines and others. I trust you have seen the numerous examples of individuals being wrongly convicted for a crime they didn’t commit being released after 5, 10 or 30 years in prison. While monetary compensation may not be enough for preventing an innocent person from having a life, I have to wonder why you feel it is just bad luck when an innocent person is executed. How do you plan on compensating the person you “voted” to exterminate?

It is estimated 1 in 25 sentenced to death were innocent

Who has been held accountable for the state sponsored murder here?

or here?

With more and more people being found innocent through the use of DNA would you support that those involved in the wrongful conviction be imprisoned for a length of time equal to what the innocent person was held? After all that would be an equitable Eye for an Eye wouldn’t it?

It is both irrational and illogical to believe that the mistakes have only been made in non capital cases. But what the hey, so what if we murder a few innocent people. It still makes us all warm and fuzzy knowing we got our revenge on someone even if it was the wrong person.

I had no idea that Nick has so many readers hungry for the kill that would show their blood lust here. They would have been right at home watching the Lions and Christians go at each other.

41. Bill Daines says:

Roger Marble,,I’ve never sat as a jurror on a death penalty crime, but it honest people like you and me who sit as jurrors hearing the facts which leads to a guilty findings.
    DNA is now the best determing factor in old convictions being the turning point but if you or me had invented this wonderful scientific procedure we would not be talking about the 1 in 25 being innocent.
    I commend Nick for being able to bring out so many comments but do you actually believe everything you read. (the sky is falling, an astroid is going to hit earth at 1pm today etc, etc, or you will unfortuneatly will be eaten up by a sink hole, this is probably more true today sink hole )
    Controversial topics make for interesting reading ,however I thank you Roger Marble for your comment. BD

42. Bill Daines says:

Roger Marble I forgot to add, more people today are not being charged because of the use of DNA, it’s not the more people today not being convicted because of DNA testing. BD

43. Barb says:

Nick I agree with this one and also with Bill Daines.
    People who quote some random statistic are amusing. 80% this, 95% that, One in 25 are innocent? Where and who did a study to prove such a statistic? People just quote what they read somewhere.

The only thing I don’t like about the death penalty is it varies from state to state. Murder one person in one state and get the death penalty, murder several in another and get life?

Bottom line is, this man died a much easier death than his victim.. It was not meant as a deterrent, but as a punishment to punish an evil man. Works for me..

Barb

44. Terry says:

We are a said group of people.

45. Terry says:

O.K. so lets say it is not one in 25. Lets say it’s one in a million. Is it acceptable to put one innocent person to death? Also in 30 years what new ways will be available like DNA today that would prove someone innocent.

46. Elizabeth says:

It is too bad that the drugs did not work as intended. I wonder however, how many people who object to this type of death are as upset over Holland and perhaps other countries that practice help people die in much the same way. Is it ok just because the person wanted to die? Does that make it better?

My brother was killed by a drunk driver a few weeks before his wedding. I have VERY STRONG feelings about that. We were victims. I have never met a person who has suffered a loss like the family of this little 18 yr old gal whom this beast killed, that feels such punishment is wrong. Not yet. It is easy to think we feel a certain way, but I have found that being victims can help you change your mind too!!

This beast was not intentionally tortured…it was a medical thing that did not work right. heh, imagine THAT…I have had some surgeries…one time the drug did not put me under deep enough and THAT WAS A BAD TRIP!! So it can happen, no matter what procedure is being done.

I am not a person who could put a murderer to sleep. But I am not against it being done humanely. As was intended with this event. Sometimes meds work differently on different people…we are not machines and not all of us have “textbook” bodies. Apparently this person did not.

Very few people are convicted of murder on thin circumstantial evidence or vague witnesses in which the convicted person could later be found innocent. Some have suggested to do away with the death penalty because one might later be found innocent. So with that rational if a person is caught in the act by multiple reliable witnesses in which there can be no doubt that the person is 100% guilty and he or she is found to be sane then you should have no problem with the death sentence of that individual if it is done humanely.

48. Terry says:

Allen “a person is caught in the act by multiple reliable witnesses in which there can be no doubt that the person is 100% guilty and he or she is found to be sane then you should have no problem with the death sentence of that individual if it is done humanely.” I would have no problem with this. But how often does this happen. By this standard you just may have removed 90% from death row.

49. Terry says:

Back to this Oklahoma botched execution. Why should we care about this. What has happening to the next execution. Oklahoma has put it off 180 days to make sure they get it right. That means ever execution is going to be backed up 180 days. What happens if the next one goes wrong also. The last thing anyone should want is a botched execution.