This is going to probably surprise and maybe even anger some of my gay friends, but I’ve given a lot of thought to the controversy of whether people should be allowed to refuse to do business with gays because it goes against their religious belief, and I truly feel they should indeed have that right if they believe in the Bible.

I looked it up, just to be sure, and it says right there in Leviticus 18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." And reading further, Leviticus 20:13 goes on to say "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them." And it’s not just in Leviticus; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

That’s some heavy stuff, and if you believe everything that’s in your Bible, I can’t blame you for not wanting to do business with sinners like that. Who knows when you might get hit by a stray lightning bolt meant for one of them? Or be damned forever just by association. I think the gay community should back off and respect these Christians’ right to obey the Bible. And stop with all this calling them haters. They are not haters, they are just following the teaching in the Good Book.

However, every coin has two sides. So those people who do believe the teachings of the Bible need to clean up their acts. Because like my dad, who among other things was an ordained minister, used to say, that you can’t be a little bit pregnant.

You see, I did a little more Bible reading. That same book of Leviticus? It also says you can’t eat pork in Leviticus 11.7, and shellfish is also out according to Leviticus 11.9. That’s going to limit a few diets, isn’t it? But God apparently had a lot more to say in Leviticus, including that his followers should nor wear clothing made from two different fabrics (19.9) or cut their beards (19.27). And just because you close the book of Leviticus, you’re not out of the biblical woods yet. Deuteronomy 22.5 says a woman may not wear a man’s clothes, so get out of those pants and back into a dress ladies. And while you’re at it, according to 1 Timothy you need to dress modestly, not braid your hair or wear gold or pearls or expensive clothes. And don’t you dare complain about it, because that same Bible book also says women should learn to be quiet and submissive. (Hey, don’t blame me, I didn’t write the book!)

There are also some disturbing things that Christians may not find acceptable, but nobody said the Bible was all fun and games. If you have a daughter who isn’t a virgin, she must be stoned to death, according to Deuteronomy 22.21. Unfortunately, rape victims don’t fare very well either, because a few verses down in 22.29 it says that if a man rapes a virgin he must pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. And Exodus 21 seems to feel that slavery is acceptable, as long as you follow the rules.

By now I’m sure I’ve lost a few readers and maybe a friend or two, but all I’m doing is sharing verses from that same Bible that Christians quote when they say they are following their religious beliefs in not wanting to do business with gay people. Because as I see it, they only have two choices – live by the Bible in its entirety, or admit that they are hypocrites who want to pick and choose which of its teachings they choose to believe and which to ignore, like it is some kind of Bible Buffet.

I’m absolutely sure that before this day is out somebody is going to tell me I am going to burn in Hell for this attack on Christians who truly live their faith. But that’s not what it is at all. In truth, it is an attack on hypocrisy.

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

75 Comments on The Bible Buffet

1. Nina Seibel says:

Very interesting. Why don’t people learn to do their own thinking instead of letting other people tell them how to think?

2. Terry says:

I went back and reread some post and a couple of questions come to mind. Do Christians believe that everyone that calls themselves a Christian will in fact go to heaven? Will some Christians get to heaven only to be surprised to see people there that they just knew would not be and some not there that we all think would be. After reading some post on here I don’t see how any of us will be there. I know I sin everyday and I bet all of you do also. Truth is we are all a bunch of hypocrites.

3. Elizabeth says:

In response to the question Terry posed…why do you suppose that there are so many denominations? Doubtful that there is any group that has it 100% right…but it helps to have others to meet with and discuss too…so we recommend finding the closest you are comfortable with…we can always switch whenever we feel we need to do so…and study for yourself. I feel if you want to know GOD HE is happy to know you…and will help you. Are we perfect? Indeed not…but we try to be so far as we understand. Others like to decide for you, but that needs to be between a person and GOD. We find the TORAH is the most helpful. So far as we know, that portion of the Scripture has been kept the most pure over the centuries. And as someone above indicated, it is needful to understand the customs, idioms etc of the time written (which then begs the question…how can you understand idioms very well if you don’t learn the language?) So easy to do nowadays…online in many places and for a reasonable cost. In fact, our teacher just dropped the price for us…only $5 per person per lesson…hard to beat!!

4. Martha says:

I just reject the entire book, which is so filled with contradictions and evil judgements it can never be believed. I don’t understand how people don’t understand that MEN wrote this garbage, and men rewrote it again (King James) to their own likes and dislikes.

5. Kay Wells says:

I was raised in the church but saw so much lying cheating and backstabbing that I said no more! I believe in the basic teachings of god as outlined in the 10 commandments but I dont need to go to a church to live by those rules. I just live my life trying to do the best I can for those around me. How many who talk loudly about their faith really live that way?

6. Sherrie says:

Vall, I answered the question you asked, the fact that you did not like the answer is not my problem. You can call those who disagree with you intolerant Christians all you want, but that doesn’t make it true. You see, you don’t know me, my family, our beliefs, our reasons for doing the things we do, or for that matter how we feel about homosexuals. All you know is what you are reading right here and right now. There happens to be a lot more to me than this. I was not going to answer you because it is obvious my answers don’t matter to you as you continue to lead down a path that you want me to go down in order to debate an issue. I gave this a lot of thought and while debating you is not something I will do or plan on doing, answering your question might be beneficial to anyone else reading this post. So, here is my answer to what would Jesus do, unless you have no more respect for what John writes than you do for what Paul writes.

Revelation 21

New King James Version (NKJV)
    All Things Made New

21 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John,[a] saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

5 Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me,[b] “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

6 And He said to me, “It is done![c] I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,[d] and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[e] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

In case you would say that this does not say anything about Jesus Christ and what He would do, Revelation 22:7, tells us exactly who this Alpha and Omega is, the One who has promised us He will return.

12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”[f]

Now, just to make myself clear. This is not something I wish on anyone! I hate the idea of anyone suffering or in pain, it kills me to see anyone I don’t care who they are, suffer. It hurts me to the very core of my being. You do not know me, you do not have the right to call me or anyone else intolerant because of our beliefs. You have no idea the people that I love and what they mean to me! Conversation is over!

7. Bob says:

Well said Sherrie!

8. Rob says:

One can never be absolutely certain of these things but I think the one of the leading lights of your revolution had it about right. Read Thomas Paine “The age of Reason”

9. Greg says:

WOW Nick, doesn’t seem like anyone wants to comment on this one, maybe you got some to take a good look at themselves. We all fall short of the Glory of God and are only saved through Grace because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ our Savior. Love your posts, you always tell both sides of the coin no matter whose feathers gets ruffled.

10. Traci says:

Oh, you’re just mad at me for saying you talk about boobs too much! Don’t take it out on everyone….;)

But truly…you know what gets to me?

The way we Christians dump all over gays but let anyone and everyone get a divorce. (Don’t get mad yet, just keep reading.)

God considers marriage pretty darn sacred since it’s his image on earth of his relationship with us, so he, I think as the saying goes, hates divorce. There was a time when if you were divorced churches would, of course let you in, but not let you be an elder or a preacher or anything like that. They would say that of course sin is forgiven but this is a big one to God so after you have been divorced, you give up some of the experiences you could have otherwise had.

Nowadays even head pastors can marry and remarry and marry again…

So how is this different than homosexuality?

I have some personal ideas about faith, relationship with God and our deep love of sex, as humans, but I do think that our casual acceptance of divorce and our clinging to certain beliefs about homosexuality reveals the innate human hypocrisy that permeates the church.

That said, I have a friend who I pray daily will get to divorce her horrible husband, and I am very thankful for the spouses my divorced friends have found a second (or third or fourth) chance at happiness with. So…since I feel that way about heterosexual marriage, I had darn well better be careful about what I ask of people who find themselves not even remotely attracted to the opposite sex.

11. Dave Walker says:

Good one Nick,
    Most people who profess to be religious seem to Quote from the Bible(but which Bible first of all)or they tell you what they think it means(which would not be from God but from them and their opinion.
    They speak about what God says as if they talked to him (I know some will say they do in prayer) or her at a Meeting or Pub. They say they know him but only can imagine who or what he or she is in their mind or what they have been told by others who are in the same boat hopping they are right in their beliefs.

Some belong to the older religions that have gone through many centuries and teachings.I had a friend who actually believes all Bibles were written by Bankers way back to make the people feel guilty to pay their taxes and notes.Some seem to belong to the newer Christian groups where everyone seems to have a different answer and think they are the right ones. A lot of the ones I have met seem to have fancy cars big house and brag how rich they are and try to shove their beliefs down your throat, don’t get that and how that’s religious but to each their own.

Someone above in my Opinion had it right when they said it is between You and your beliefs, not having to tell other that they are wrong and you are right because why ? you were told or you read it in your Bible or you think you are right.
    If you believe it then live it and leave the rest of us to believe what we believe. It is between me and the beliefs I have not yours.

Personally I believe that all organized religions and just that organized by someone to make money. If the money is used for good to help those in need, then that is a good thing If not and it is used for the greedy pockets of the owners and investor’s at the expense of the others then that is not so good.

The above is the beliefs of the writer and no one else. So if you take offense to any of it to bad. Enjoy your day and believe what you do because you can!….

Dave

12. Vince Douglass says:

All of the above is why I joined the Unitarian Universalist. We don’t have a creed and you are allowed, encouraged, to follow your own mind. Check them out at uua.org you will find that all of the above are very acceptable.

I read and reread Nick’s blog on this subject and I agree with Connie. Nick seems to be calling Christians hypocrites if we don’t believe and follow all the Old Testament laws like stoning people. I reject his premise that if we don’t follow every thing exactly, that we are a hypocrites. Many have explained that Christ has paid for the sins of those that accept Him as their savior and he fulfilled the law. I am a Christian and am not ashamed of it. I do not hate homosexuals and lesbians. I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. Some of the Christians that have come under fire lately did not refuse to wait on gay people or sell them products. They just would not recognize gay marriage and bake a cake in recognition of that event. I can be friendly and associate with people of different beliefs without accepting their beliefs as my own. I will practice my faith and love others without compromising my beliefs. I do not think that makes me a hypocrite but according to Nick that is picking and choosing. So be it I live to serve Christ. I am not out to offend anyone but I will not compromise my religion to please them.

14. Terry says:

If Nick had only used the New Testament and made a hypocrisy claim would that help?

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but with a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s foes will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy. (Matthew 10:34-37) “

How many of us understand that kind of love.

“But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)”

“In Matthew 5:29-30, Christ states, “And if your right eye offend you, pluck it out, and cast it from you: for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be cast into hell. And if your right hand offend you, cut it off, and cast it from you: for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be cast into hell.”

“1 Timothy 2:12, “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent.”
    But Nick pointed this out.

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Maybe the point is we don’t live perfect lives and by definition we are hypocrites. The fact is many who think they have done right will find themselves on the outside. Most likely I will be one of these.

“(Luke 13:23-24) 23 Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”
    He said to them, 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.”

How many of us really live the bible and are truly Christ like?

15. Thomas Copeland says:

I love the Christian cop out – Jesus died for my sins so it’s okay. I can lie, cheat and steal and it will be okay as long as I ask forgiveness. I’m washed in the blood so I can screw over my customers, abuse my children and treat anybody I don’t like any way I want to because Jesus hung on that cross so it’s okay. Hell, I can even rape and murder somebody but as long as I ask forgiveness just before they stick that needle in my arm I’ll go to heaven. Yeah hypocrites. That’s the word for it.

16. Dave Davis says:

Wow!
    I am completely blown away by the hipocrisy in these posts. Life is so easy to live and do the right thing. All you have to do is treat others the way you want to be treated.
    Throw the Bible, in all forms, the ten commandments, and all religious following out the window.

17. Paul J Stough says:

If you do not believe in a god, then you believe you are a god.

18. Thomas Copeland says:

What nonsense, Paul. Given that line of thinking, if I don’t believe in a unicorn, does it mean I believe I’m a unicorn? Both are mythical creatures to me.

19. Paul J Stough says:

If you dont believe in a higher power, or higher being than yourself,you then are the highest power there is. That is the definition of a god.

20. Thomas Copeland says:

No, I don’t believe anything or anyone is higher than anyone else, so I guess we’re all gods by your definition Paul.

21. Robert says:

Why is it so hard to accept that there is stuff we just are not equipped to understand? Oh the pathetic arrogance…

22. Robert Larsen says:

If we weren’t all sinners and hypocrites, there would be no point in Salvation. Whatever happened to a business owners right to “refuse service to anyone?”

23. Pam says:

“Whatever happened to a business owners right to “refuse service to anyone?”

That ended 50 years ago on July 2 when President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public. Additional acts have subsequently been passed to prohibit discrimination based on other things such as age (1967), disability (1990), pregnancy (1978), etc.

Kind of sad and scary that any American citizen wouldn’t know that.

24. Robert says:

Bravo Pam…

25. Croft says:

I think the term “RINO” is not reserved for the “Republican In Name Only” folks but also for the “Religious In Name Only” folks as well. We have heard from a lot of them here. Like Nick says, the bible is not a buffet meal, you either accept it or you don’t, you can’t pick and choose verses. If your child curses or strikes you, he must be put to death just as it says in your book. Are you going to disobey your God?