This is going to probably surprise and maybe even anger some of my gay friends, but I’ve given a lot of thought to the controversy of whether people should be allowed to refuse to do business with gays because it goes against their religious belief, and I truly feel they should indeed have that right if they believe in the Bible.

I looked it up, just to be sure, and it says right there in Leviticus 18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." And reading further, Leviticus 20:13 goes on to say "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them." And it’s not just in Leviticus; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

That’s some heavy stuff, and if you believe everything that’s in your Bible, I can’t blame you for not wanting to do business with sinners like that. Who knows when you might get hit by a stray lightning bolt meant for one of them? Or be damned forever just by association. I think the gay community should back off and respect these Christians’ right to obey the Bible. And stop with all this calling them haters. They are not haters, they are just following the teaching in the Good Book.

However, every coin has two sides. So those people who do believe the teachings of the Bible need to clean up their acts. Because like my dad, who among other things was an ordained minister, used to say, that you can’t be a little bit pregnant.

You see, I did a little more Bible reading. That same book of Leviticus? It also says you can’t eat pork in Leviticus 11.7, and shellfish is also out according to Leviticus 11.9. That’s going to limit a few diets, isn’t it? But God apparently had a lot more to say in Leviticus, including that his followers should nor wear clothing made from two different fabrics (19.9) or cut their beards (19.27). And just because you close the book of Leviticus, you’re not out of the biblical woods yet. Deuteronomy 22.5 says a woman may not wear a man’s clothes, so get out of those pants and back into a dress ladies. And while you’re at it, according to 1 Timothy you need to dress modestly, not braid your hair or wear gold or pearls or expensive clothes. And don’t you dare complain about it, because that same Bible book also says women should learn to be quiet and submissive. (Hey, don’t blame me, I didn’t write the book!)

There are also some disturbing things that Christians may not find acceptable, but nobody said the Bible was all fun and games. If you have a daughter who isn’t a virgin, she must be stoned to death, according to Deuteronomy 22.21. Unfortunately, rape victims don’t fare very well either, because a few verses down in 22.29 it says that if a man rapes a virgin he must pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. And Exodus 21 seems to feel that slavery is acceptable, as long as you follow the rules.

By now I’m sure I’ve lost a few readers and maybe a friend or two, but all I’m doing is sharing verses from that same Bible that Christians quote when they say they are following their religious beliefs in not wanting to do business with gay people. Because as I see it, they only have two choices – live by the Bible in its entirety, or admit that they are hypocrites who want to pick and choose which of its teachings they choose to believe and which to ignore, like it is some kind of Bible Buffet.

I’m absolutely sure that before this day is out somebody is going to tell me I am going to burn in Hell for this attack on Christians who truly live their faith. But that’s not what it is at all. In truth, it is an attack on hypocrisy.

Check out the Bad Nick bookclip_image001on Amazon and Nook!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

75 Comments on The Bible Buffet

1. Sherrie says:

Nick, there is a lot more to what you are talking about than you might be aware. First of all, there are those of us who do not eat pork, shellfish, or other foods that were not created as food. There are also those of us who see many of the laws in the OT and understand where you are coming from. However, as Christians, we also know that the death penalty for breaking those laws, were paid by Christ on the Cross. So, while stoning was something that was taught, even when it came to breaking the Sabbath, that penalty was paid by our Savior. I keep the seventh day Sabbath, but when I do break it due to my own weaknesses or human reasoning, I can rely on God’s forgiveness because that penalty was paid for me.

Where does that leave us? That leaves us with an understanding that although God loves us all and he sent His Son to die a terrible death for us, He also gave us an instruction book to live by. By your own admission there is clear instruction about what will not be acceptable for those who will become part of the Kingdom of God. While it is not a popular thing to admit, the Bible does state it. So, while I am a Christian, and I do my very best to live a life that shows God and mankind that I love them, God and His way of life will always come first. I am not a hypocrite, nor am I bound by those penalties that Christ died for. I am, however, bound to live by the word of God and accept that He created me, He has the right to tell me how He wants me to live. Please do not tell me how I have to live in order to have my faith acceptable to others and don’t force to me participate in something that goes against my faith.

The fact is, as a Christian I find it insulting that my faith and my true belief in God is laughed at and made fun of just because someone else does not “get it.” I don’t make fun of homosexuals, I don’t hate them, and I am not afraid of them. That does not mean that I have to accept their lifestyle anymore than they have to accept mine. I won’t force them to go to my church and sit through services with me, I won’t force them to give up their own personal beliefs in order to make me happy. I won’t force them to comply with some request I might have that goes against something they might hold near and dear, I only ask for the same consideration.

Why is it that their rights trump mine? Why is it that my right to freedom religion is not something that you find as important as their right to force someone to do comply one of their requests, like making a wedding cake? You see, as long as this type of post is written from that biased perspective, my rights mean nothing to you.

I love you as friend, but I am disappointed that you would point a finger in a direction like this and make a statement that we only have two choices. Really? Is that really true?

I have another choice. As for me and my house we shall serve the Lord. We will do so in a way that you might find hypocritical, but that is your choice, not mine.

Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I do not love you my friend.

2. Tim Curfield says:

Nick, you have the biggest pair of balls of anyone I’ve ever read. Now I’m just going to sit back an watch the sparks fly.

3. Melissa Jones says:

That stuff is all in the Old Testament and no longer applies to modern day Christians.

4. Terry says:

am i to understand that the Old Testament was a mistake and that Christ was sent here to die so that the New Testament only applies?

5. Ad Addison says:

I have had this belief for years. The first comment from a Sabbath keeper brings back many discussions on “picking and choosing” text to support a particular behavior you want to attack. You missed the one I like to have them address. Lev.15.19 “Whenever a woman has her menstrual period, she will be ceremonially unclean for seven days. If you touch her during that time, you will be defiled until evening. 20 Anything on which she lies or sits during that time will be defiled. 21 If you touch her bed, you must wash your clothes and bathe in water, and you will remain defiled until evening” How often do you hear this “teaching” from the fundamentalist pulpit that speaks of the gay issue in Lev…

6. Zoe says:

Nick, I’m hearing a great, roaring WHOOSHING sound as your very well made points zooms over many heads. Excellent article, as usual.

7. Melissa Jones says:

Terry, the Old Testament is the original word of God. But many of those teachings were modified when he sacrificed his Son on the cross. Christianity has evolved over time as we move through God’s plan for us.

8. Susan Kinstreet says:

This is yet another typical attack on the Christian faith that breaks my heart. You twist words around and make them fit your agenda without any consideration for the truth. The Bible is not a piece of clay to be molded into the shape that justifies your sins. It is the word of God and all powerful.

9. Chuck F says:

So if the Old Testament doesn’t apply what does that do to the argument about evolution vs creationism? Did Adam and Eve ever exist? Was there ever a great flood? And if it doesn’t apply any more, why does the New Testament apply? Who says there isn’t a NEWER New Testament that will supersede the New Testament we know today?

10. Barry McDonald says:

All I know is that I was raised in the church and I was taught the Bible is the word of God. Not the old testament or the new testament but the whole Bible. While I consider homosexuality a sin I do not agree with my Christian brothers and sisters who want to pick and choose which part of the Bible to quote and which part to disallow.

11. Sonny DeBarge says:

12. Cynthia Loomis says:

God said it, I believe it, that settles it!

13. Autrey says:

The gay agenda moves one step forward as you try to force your lifestyle onto all of us. But God is great and you will fail in the end because good always triumphs over evil.

14. JC Webber III says:

Nick, you are my hero.

— jc

15. James Wilson says:

I am a gay man who has no interest in forcing anything upon anyone, Autrey. If you don’t want to do business with me thats fine I’ll spend my money someplace else. But let me ask you this about our “agenda” and how we “force our lifestyle” on you. When was the last time a gay person knocked on your door and handed you a pamphlet telling you about our beliefs? When did any gay group hold summer camp to tell children about our lifestyle? When was the last time you heard two gay people telling Christian jokes? How many gay people lobbied their elected officials to get them to deny your right to marry the person you love? Now, tell me again, who is it that has an agenda?

16. Linda Basmaldi says:

Sonny said “I’m always amazed at how you gays call us Christians haters but it is stuff like this from your people that tries to tear us down and destroy our religion.”

Ahh… Sonny, Nick is straight and blissfully happily married to a beautiful and talented woman. I’m not sure where he fits into your “you gays” and “your people” line of thinking.

17. Elizabeth says:

Mercy Nick…this entry is way too full of subjects to fit in one post!! Interesting you grew up in a minister’s home. I understand that well…one of my grandpas was as well. The main thing I would say, is that I think business owners should have the right to deal with anyone they choose to…or not. Now it makes no sense to me that most businesses would not want to sell their product to anyone coming in the store. But if your business is say a B&B, in your own home, then that is one place I certainly think the owner should have the choice of whom they want staying in their own home. Maybe they do not like animals and therefore would not want someone with animals staying with them (in case they would bring fleas too…such happens you know)…but for ANY reason whatever, if your business is in your place of residence, then at least at that point, there should be no discussion of the choice of whom to serve.

I do believe especially what is written in the Original Scriptures. We are learning Hebrew so we can read for ourselves. Knowing we will never know it all…but already it is helping us to see some things more clearly. I do not accept ANY English version as being necessarily 100% correct. I look at them as commentaries…helpful…but one must go to the original language to be more sure. And as in all matters, context is everything. Just as when we write a letter, we do not want others to take only parts of it and run with it…unfortunately a great many have done this, both in and outside the churches. Some intentionally and perhaps some not. I do think GOD did not ask our opinion and we should do our best to understand and live as HE tells us to. Yes, we are flawed…but we need to try our best to do what HE says. It is for our benefit. I do not pretend to understand every passage. Nor will I live long enough to do so…but still one should try. Learning to live by the TORAH to the best of our ability has brought hubby and I untold blessing…and it saved our marriage actually…that and the teachings we listened to online from rabbis. We will always be grateful for that. No small gift.

18. Kevin says:

Who wrote the Bible? Was it God or men? Has it changed over time or is it still in the exact same wording as original?

Have you ever played the game where you sat in a row or circle and told some thing to the person next to you. That person told the person next to them and so on. The last person tell what he heard. Is it ANYTHING like the original?

How can anyone think today’s bible is the same as the original? Men wrote it, men changed it to meet their own agenda. No way can it still be the “word of God” as heard 2000 years ago.

Believe what you want, the best commandment, and the only one needed, is the 11th – Due unto others as you would they do you. Love or hate, accept or demonize – how do YOU want to be treated?

Are you treating everyone the same way you would hope they would treat you?

19. Robert says:

Another good one Nick… You don’t shy away from stirring the pot, and that’s why I love ya man. (In a heterosexual kind of way of course) Ha ha… Hypocrisy is one of my main peeves as well, and I love it when it’s exposed. That’s why I try to never miss Stewart and Colbert; they’re masters at calling it out… Interesting that your topic was touched upon just last night when Ralph Reed was interviewed by Bill Maher. I thought you’d enjoy:

20. Larry says:

Well said Nick!

21. Mike says:

Elizabeth, You can certainly decide you don’t want animals, but hang up a sign in that B&B that says “no blacks” and see how that works out. While you’re at it, start a country club and hang up the “men only” sign. No problems there, right?

It doesn’t matter whether you read the Bible in its original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, it will still be confusing.

22. Joe Homich says:

Bible or not. Every business has the right to choose their customers as they please.

It is their money, blood, sweat a tears at risk. How dare anyone tell me how to run MY business?

You can earn that right by buying 51% , but not until then.

23. N Kissack says:

Boy am I ever staying out of this one Nick!!! But Wait … I dated (and was going to marry) a devout Christian who lived his life for Christ. He told me I needed to shape up, because if you believed one part of the Bible, you had to believe ALL of the Bible. After six years he left me for the cute blond that sat in front of us in church. Whatever people believe, they DO pick and choose what parts they want to follow! For them, breaking the rules is okay because the price has already been paid for them … meaning they can break the rules all they want with no retribution. Just my recent experience!!!

24. Robert says:

Joe. You deserve credit for shedding that blood, sweat and those tears to build and maintain your business, but you didn’t do it in a vacuum. Thousands upon thousands of Americans of all creeds, colors and persuasions have sacrificed to attain and uphold the conditions of freedom and democracy that allowed you to even have a chance to consider the possibilities to do so. Many died before having that chance for themselves, and you owe it to them and to society to respect certain rules of fairness in the administration of your business.

25. Norma says:

If anyone believes homosexualtiy is a sin, remember “hate the sin, love the sinner”. Jesus did.

26. Donna Gates-Smeall says:

Nick, you sure know how to touch nerves, expose hypocrisy, and open a huge conversation that, in part, adds too many other points to the commentary by your fans.

I applaud each person who responded for standing up for their convictions.

Carry on living a life of wisdom and common sense, embrace your walk in life without stepping on another’s beliefs.

27. Kris says:

All religions have a bible of some sort. The Christian bible is actually a collection of letters which was compiled 400 years after Christs death by a group of believers who left out the letters they didn’t feel fit the collection. A true bible scholar will study everything AFTER learning the culture in which those letters were written.

Part of the problem of the strict interpretation of the bible is that word definitions and cultural references have changed. For example, the magician we talked about yesterday. If you don’t understand the life and times of the people who used the word magician, you aren’t going to realize that there is a completely separate social reference for that word. Your interpretation will be wrong, which will make further interpretations wrong.

Having said all that, this country was founded on the freedom of belief. If you genuinely believe that homosexuals, blacks, left-handed people or whatever group is wrong, you shouldn’t be forced to interact with them. That is your choice and however wrong others may say it is, in this country you have the choice.

Let’s keep it that way.

28. Bob says:

Why would a homosexual couple want to give their money to a business who doesn’t agree with their lifestyle? To rub it in the business owner’s face, that’s why. The homosexual agenda is not about tolerance, but they demand that EVERYONE agree with THEM…if you don’t you’re labeled a bigot, homophobe ect.
    I would expect all you pro homosexual marriage advocates to get ready to defend those who want to marry numerous partners, family members, on and on.

29. Terry says:

How would a homosexual couple know what business doesn’t agree with their lifestyle? Are there signs in the windows? If one gay person came in for something to eat how would a business know he or she was gay. There was a time when there were signs for blacks in business windows.

30. squirrel says:

This begs a question. Am I required to accept another person’s actions no matter what those actions are?
    Set aside the religious aspects for a moment. If I see or interact with someone and their actions do not seem unusual then that situation is fine. Is it permissible for me not to like another person’s actions for no other reason than in my mind, heart or soul feels that those actions are not right?
    If I do nothing else but express my feelings that I do not like certain actions is that unacceptable behavior?

31. Donna Huffer says:

God doesn’t make mistakes. He created all of us including the gays.

32. Jeff savournin says:

Being an atheist I love reading the comments…My belief is that the world would be a much better place if NO religion existed.

33. Nick, you sure do know how to stir the pot don’t you? But I agree with you wholeheartedly!!! “Love one another” and “Judgement is mine” said the Lord. So I just love everyone and leave all judgement to Someone Else.

You are the best, Nick.

34. Linda Basmaldi says:

Bobbie Chapman, that pot stirring has a purpose. It’s supposed to make people think. It is sad that so few seem to have that ability any more as this thread shows.

35. Great Blog, my question is to the business owners how do you know if a person if gay or straight, do you ask them when they come in, I have several friends who are gay and until they told me I would have never known. They did not flaunt it or even talk about it, as I said I did not know until I accidentally found out, did I stop being friends with them no I did not. By the way I have a gay niece who is a very successful business women and I love her despite her sexual preference will I go to hell because of loving her probably not but maybe for other reasons.

36. Dave says:

“I believed in Santa Claus and the Fairy Godmother, of course I believed in a virgin birth, and a guy lived in a whale, and a woman came from a rib. But something happened that made me doubt all of it: I graduated sixth grade!”

“The problem is that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the people who are most certain of them.”

Bill Maher

37. Connie Bradish says:

It’s really sad, Nick that you can’t accept that those of us who are Christians believe in our religion. Calling us hypocrites is unlike you. I thought you were more tolerant of those who don’t agree with you and that you were into letting people have their own beliefs.
    Jesus died for our sins and we are now living under grace. I truly believe that and I am sorry you can not accept that my faith is important to me and not a hypocrisy in the world. I am not apologetic that I am a Christian.

38. Linda Basmaldi says:

Connie there is a difference between the truly faithful and the hypocrites. As I read Nicks post that is who he is calling out.

39. Linda Basmaldi says:

I am also a Christian, my son is in theology school and my brother is a minister. When I showed him this blog post this morning he said “Right on, that is the message that should be preached from every podium this Sunday.”

Nobody who is not a hypocrite should feel attacked by this.

40. Charles says:

We live today in a world of extremes. Extremist demanding that we live our lives according to there standards and beliefs. Extreme to the point of killing in the name of their god or beliefs. I’m afraid that these extremist are going to be sorely disappointed when they get to the Other Side.

I left organized religion because of all the hypocrisy in the church (both from the pulpit and in the pews. Unfortunately, the Pharisees and Saducees are still with us). I still have a strong faith in the teachings of Christ and I have studied some of the other major faiths as well. I find it comforting that they all teach pretty much the same thing. Wouldn’t it be ironic if we’re all praying to the same God? Maybe He set these things down to others in the beginning and they just kinda got interpreted based on the local “Pharisees”.

As for gays… We were all created by the same God whether we choose to believe so or not. It’s just that He (or She if you prefer) just scrambled some genes a bit in some of us. It doesn’t make any of us less or more than others. Sexual preference, skin color, religious beliefs, or pocketbook doesn’t mean a darn thing. The things that determine stature in my book are intelligence, compassion, and humility. Those that have the intelligence to be compassionate to others, have learned the humility to not think more of themselves than anyone.

41. Jim Walter says:

Most bible scholars will tell you that old testament laws fall into two categories: cultural laws and moral laws. The moral laws (pertaining to sexual practices, murder, stealing, etc.) certainly have validity today. Also, God created old testament laws in order to keep man “reined in”. As long as you keep the laws He will take care of you, but stray out of the law and you’re on your own. When Jesus the Messiah came (which was foretold hundreds of times in the old testament, by the way, which never seems to be mentioned when you bring up the Bible), that changed everything. Jesus took all of those laws, put them on His shoulders, and accepted the responsibility of every human being who broke them. In other words He died for our sins, so we are no longer bound by those laws. We now receive God’s grace for free; all we have to do is ask. And if we accept His grace and salvation, the only commandments we’re now bound to is “love the Lord with all your heart, all your mind, and all your soul”, and “love your neighbor as yourself.” If we all just obey those two commandments, it would be a better world.

42. I wonder how all those supposedly christian haters are going to figure out who is gay and who isn’t. Are we going to have to wear pink triangles? Or maybe get a tattoo? Or will we need a psychological exam? And who will do that?

Christians have made a business out of hating through the millennia. Why should they stop now?

Nick, you are writing just to stir shit. You know as well as I do that your basic premise is neither true nor valid.

43. Linda Basmaldi says:

Nick’s job is to stir things up and make us think, Jan. And he does a very good job of it. But I have to ask, what part of his basic premiss is not true or valid? All he did was quote scripture from the Bible and point out that if somebody says they follow the Bible but only pick and choose which parts to follow, they are hypocrites. So is the Bible not true or valid?

44. Beverly Deem says:

“Beliefs” are what they are. Everyone has a belief. I don’t think any of us are so central of a figure that we have earned the right to label or judge anyone. Christians have a right to call themselves Christians; Atheists have a right to call themselves atheists; etc. Personally, I was given a name and it is “Beverly”..I prefer that label.

Definition of Belief:

1.an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.”his belief in the value of hard work”

something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.
    “contrary to popular belief, Aramaic is a living language”
    synonyms: opinion, view, conviction, judgment, thinking, way of thinking, idea, impression, theory, conclusion, notion More
    “it’s my belief that age is irrelevant”
    a religious conviction.
    “Christian beliefs”
    synonyms: ideology, principle, ethic, tenet, canon; More
    doctrine, teaching, dogma, article of faith, creed, credo
    “traditional beliefs”

trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
    “a belief in democratic politics”

45. Yes, Linda, the bible is a bunch of writing that some folks subscribe to. Some of those writings are just fine. And others are not. Frankly I don’t care what anyone believes, as long as they know what it really is. The christian collection of writing is a grand and rollicking adventure story complete with wars, incest, slavery and more. I have found very few ‘believers’ who know the history of their beliefs, the dogma, the tenets, or the philosophy of what they believe. That’s any organized religion, not just yours. Pick one, or many. Up to you….and with 6 you get eggroll.

46. Charlie Boles says:

Thank you Nick! Opening minds what a beautiful thing.

47. Vall says:

> Sherrie says: (June 7, 2014 at 11:35 pm)
    > […]
    > However, as Christians, we also know that the death penalty for breaking those laws, were paid by Christ on the Cross.

So, the penalty for breaking the anti-homossexuality “law” wouldn’t also be paid for, in the same manner? Or did Christ’s martyrdom at the cross only paid for some penalties, and not others? If so, can you reference the exact passage indicating which ones where paid for, and which weren’t?

Moreover, wasn’t it Christ that taught us to be tolerant with the ones we don’t agree with (“turn the other cheek” and all that)? More to the point, if Christ operated a business nowadays, do you think he would refuse service to an homosexual? If yes, what’s the passage in the NT that you think supports that?

These are not rhetorical questions; I really think that, if you (or anyone else here) can answer them, it would help clarify things a lot for everyone involved.

Cheers,

Vall.

48. Judy says:

Love it!

49. Sherrie says:

Vall, my comment was for Nick, he and I have discussed things and I have no intention of having a theological debate with you or anyone else over this issue. He made a statement in his blog post and I countered with a statement of my own. Since you asked for clarification, here it is. Do I believe these scriptures? Yes, with my whole heart. Do I feel the need to defend my beliefs? Absolutely not! Either you believe the Bible is the word of God or you don’t. If you believe, then you cannot deny what the scriptures say. If you don’t nothing I say is going to make any difference anyway.

Hebrews 10:25-27
    For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
    Galatians 5:19-21
    Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    1 Corinthians 6:8-10
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

50. Vall says:

Sherrie,

Thanks for your clear, detailed response. For the record, I don’t think you (or anyone else here) is an hypocrite; I’m just trying to understand whether the intolerance many Christians show towards homosexuality have a solid basis in Scripture or not.

With due respect, I don’t think the first two quotes (from Hebrews and Galatians) have anything to do with the matter at hand: they neither mention homosexuality (at least not directly), nor whether the other sins comdemned in the OT and which Nick mentioned have been paid for by Christ’s sacrifice or not.

Your quote above from “1 Corinthians 6:8-10” seems to support that Paul, who authored the Corinthians, indeed condemned homosexuality. Can we say that Christ would have said the same? Or is it just Paul? He doesn’t make it clear, like “Our Lord has said that” or anything, does he? So, couldn’t Paul just be expressing his own opinion, instead of Christ’s?

Also, what about the other sins that Nick mentioned? Can you please mention where they are being pardoned due to Christ’s martyrdom, and not homosexuality?

Cheers,